Windows 63 Little Pieces

SamuelSousa

Hi community!

- Game Page - Here!!!

63 Little Pieces
is an atmospheric block sliding puzzle game with a shooting mechanic, to destroy walls, in order to build a path to lead one or several blocks to the goal. Slide, fire, destroy blocks, collect collectibles, hit switches and manage the other blocks movements. Will you be able to piece it back together?

The final game will consist of 60 or so levels. Each level contains 3 distinct puzzle challenges:
Collect the collectible; reach the goal in as less moves and less destruction as possible.

Originally created in 48 hours for Ludum Dare 41 in 2018, as a mix between Puzzle and Shoot'em Up mechanics.
Things moved nicely but, gameplay wise, there was little to no puzzle action at all. It was only after the jam I put real thought into the project and have been working on it ever since.

With real thought put into the puzzles, I started tinkering around with what I had and started to making conclusions on how the game should proceed from that point. I didn't want to have an one and done puzzle solving mechanic nor a 3 star rating system. With that said, each puzzle is now build upon 3 distinctive objectives: Collect the collectible, reach the goal with as less moves as possible and reach the goal with as less destruction as possible. Some levels can even be finished without achieving any of those objectives.

From Ludum Dare 41 to Now (Early Access):
  • From the 13 unpolished presented levels there are now 18 puzzles with 3 challenges each, awaiting your cunning eye.
  • Graphics were upgraded (still work in progress) from the still included pixelated black & white sprites (so if you're into that 1 bit sort of retro visual thing - it's still there) to a coloured 2.5 or 2D top down view.
  • Although repetitive, the silent background is now filled with one music track.
  • Narrative is still in "draft mode"; it is fully implemented but not presented to the player yet.
  • The project now includes XBOX 360 controller support.
  • Many bugs and half baked mechanics fixed (since it was a prototype).
Right now my main focus is on building the levels.

Early Access applies to Windows and OUYA, if you still have one it can be sideloaded and played there.

I you find a bug or something malfunctioning feel free to mention it in the comments bellow, Thanks!
More updates coming soon... I'll be back!

Stay inside, stay safe, and have fun!

Toque

I’ve thought it was just another slider. But the shooting of blocks is different than I’ve seen. Cool.

SamuelSousa

Hi Guys and Gals!

Version 0.40 is out! So what's new you ask!?!

The biggest update is levels... This new build adds 9 more levels with 3 challenges each, making for a total of 27 new puzzles.

These new levels focus on opposite forces, with red blocks doing whatever is the contrary to your movement. There are also portals, which teleport you from one point to another, some times reaching a portal can be a challenge in itself.

Sound Effects lost their references and where replaced by Windows dings during this screen capture :)

Another note worthy update is the addition of an Options Menu which allows control over Music and Sfx Volume, Screen Shake toggle, Language supporting: English and Portuguese (PT), and Erasing Data. The additions of these controls required quite a few changes in the code and its structure mostly because this section supports many features so it was better re-structure to easily handle any translations and music / sound volumes by, instead of all over the place, having everything in 1 or 2 objects.

Other Updates Include:

• Added Lighting Effects;
  • Graphical update and implementation of high resolution placeholders: switches, "gravity" arrows, platforms, goals, portals and effects;
  • The main game's font Pixel ^2 has also been updated and is also available for purchase, this font will replace most of the games text but for now this change is only visible on the moves and block counter dialog during gameplay;
  • Added Mouse Controls on Main Menu and in-game to allow switching through art styles / perspective;
  • OUYA Controller central button now mapped as start / pause button;
  • Text dialogs no longer repeating themselves when retrying a level;
  • Although not visible, this update also implements a few gameplay mechanics for levels to come.
    • You'll just have to take my word for it :)

Bugs Fixed:
  • Blocks excess speed;
  • Getting trap between "gravity" arrows, now resets level (Level 16);
  • Controller Bug fixes on Windows and OUYA;
  • Negative level numbers on the level selection menu;

Stay tuned, safe and have fun!

S

Sam (Deleted User)

How do you install stuff on the ouya now that the discover menu is offline? I deleted the file manager app a while back and now the device seems pretty useless but I held onto it hoping there would be a way around that.

O.Stogden

How do you install stuff on the ouya now that the discover menu is offline? I deleted the file manager app a while back and now the device seems pretty useless but I held onto it hoping there would be a way around that.
You can sideload via PC and adb install.

Or you can switch to the community run server and they have a store with apps on it, including games made in the recent OUYA game jams.

SamuelSousa

Hi, guys and gals!

New version available for Windows & OUYA. Go grab your prefered version... or both!
https://samuelsousa.itch.io/little-pieces

Sorry OUYA fans for the delay, it just wasn't working :)

(I think an image here would be nice ... let me go get something ...)

This past few months I have been working of strengthening the game's concept, implementing the most important mechanics, reforcing the game's shell, narrative and script.

Something that earlier lead into this: 63 Little Pieces - a Playstation Talents finalists with submitted Version 0.41 updates - Devlog on itch.io.

I want to make this has deep, dense and immersive as I can, with the time i got. Everything is under fulltime scrutiny.
In the process I can't make everything at once (since I work mostly solo), so I work on what bothers me most from the current build but keep moving towards the overall goal.

Version 0.42 updates:
Visible changes:

• Title Screen
    • Background change associated with player progress;
    • Options are now displayed diferently;
    • Extra levels Menu has been removed (not being anything there, for now);
  • Options Menu - Background change associated with player progress;

• Hub menu
    • Background change associated with the chapter displayed;
    • Added score goals necessary to obtaining the achievements;
  • Pause Menu - Added score goals necessary to obtaining the achievements;
  • Level Design - Revisited levels 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9;
  • Changed level 5 cleanest path;
  • Changed critical paths in level 9;
  • Chapter 2 - New background art;

• Plot - Script is more dense then before - it has been fully written, may receive more updates upon feedback;
  • Cutscenes - Art update associated with the world the cutscene is for;
  • Controller Support - Support system has been updated and, aside XBOX, Playstation controllers are also supported;
  • Bugs - Fixed objects depths;
  • Art - Several minor updates;

Other Changes not visible:
  • Main Campaign - Mechanics for Chapter 4, 5, 6 are ready for level design;
  • Special Levels
    • Art styles changes are now supported;
    • Different challenges implemented;
  • Hub Menu - Updates made in the last chapter;
  • Added more cheat codes for testing purposes;
  • Added code to take screenshots;

Yours truly ;)

Stay safe and have fun!

Twitter | Instagram

SamuelSousa

Hi, guys and gals!

63 Little Pieces is now featured on GDWC's Weekly Fan Favorite Vote.

What is GDWC?
The Game Development World Championship is an annual competition for Game developers, game development students, game development hobbyists, and anyone interested in game development to join in.

If you would like to support 63 Little Pieces you may do so by following the link below.
No registration is needed, just hit that *Vote! button. Your support means a lot to me.

Game Development World Championship 2021 GDWC 2021

Thanks very much!

Stay safe and have fun!

Twitter | Instagram

SamuelSousa

Hello Game Maker Community!

63 Little Pieces has come in 2nd place on round 21 and is now featured among on GDWC last week's Top 3.

Thank so much to eveyone who has taken the time to vote on this or any other entry.

Now, back to work! These tricky upcoming puzzle won't be making themselves alone.

Stay safe and have fun!

Twitter | Instagram | IndieDB

SamuelSousa

Hello!

So, after a large update pause, I'm continuing my work on this thing and so, updating my thread here with new trailer:

- Game Page - Here!!!

What have I been up too?

I have organized and deleted a ton of unused sprite left over from prototyping as I mapped over a thousand sprites of the game to one amazing artboard separated into chapters.
A very usual practical thing to do, just didn't previously because I hadn't gone to it earlier. With every sprite assigned its rightful name and all of its settings ready for exporting, updating them is easy peasy.

This allows me visualise the game as a whole and create harmony.

Some artboard sets from Chapters 1, 2, 3 (a lot more hidden away)

With that in place a major overhaul as started to take place. From the first to the final chapter, covering art, audio, narrative and gameplay mechanics.

So what's new?

Level Menu

MENUS:

• Changed the title screen opening options;
  • Level menu now has icons and backgrounds matching color and particle effects of current chapter;
  • Challenge hierarchy - the key is the main objective and only once collected the secondary objective show goal values;
  • The pause menu has new effects and elements change color accordingly to current chapter;
  • Victory screen - removed white background;
  • Also on your first playthrough this screen will be automatically skipped as you follow directly to the next level. When going back to replay the level the finishing screen will then appear showing the goals you have achieved. This information is also available on the pause menu;
  • Fixed - Structure, objects depths and fading animation;
  • Unlocked Level Dialog Screen has finally received some attention;
  • Font change and several localisation measures have taken place to facilitate the addiction of new languages;
  • Accented letter are now available;
  • New music for Tittle Screen and HUB with the previous single music track only being available on the intro;
Level 5 in 2.5D perspective

CHAPTER 1:

• Changed the design of the Blue Block and polished the vortex appearance;
  • Added the '' Glowing Tiles'' effect on moving Blocks, background lighting and gradients;
  • Changed the way the background grid is rendered making it look sharper;
  • Added background effects and reviewed particles, now having slight changes in animation over the course of the first 9 levels;
  • Level Design: revisions on level 5 and 9;
  • New auto tiling code. Walls have a lot more sprites than before;
  • Changed level transictions;
  • Added and reviewed dialogs in several levels;
  • Added sfx to blocks;
  • New music tracks that convey an emotional progression throughout the chapter;
  • Added death on more than 99 moves for that rare case in which you have kept going or just got stuck;

CHAPTER 2:

For a better progression these levels have been re ordered and 3 new levels were created.

• New level are 11, 18 and 19;
  • Revisions made to levels 12, 13, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 17;
  • Background and Particles have been revised to better suit the emotion being explored.
  • These background effects have been added to the Title Screen, Options and HUB when player reaches these levels;
  • Collisions with Floating Platforms have also been polished to be smoother;
  • Sprites for the Yellow Block, walls, arrows and platforms have also been revamped;
  • Several dialogs have been added throughout;
  • In the audio department this chapter receives 4 new music tracks;

CHAPTER 3:

Now this is where things get interesting. Initially the 2.5D perspective mechanic would be introduced later in game but after some thought it made a lot of sense to push it here due to the emotion this chapter is centered on. The usage of the 2.5D perspective will reveal hidden paths and allow players to pass under or over walls without the need to break them so a non destroyed wall may be useful in a following move.

• Just like Chapter 2, this one has gone a critical review and levels have been re ordered for better pacing;
  • A new level was created to better introduce the 2.5D perspective mechanic;
  • Several revisions were made to levels 21, 23, 25, 26, 27, 28 and 29 to better introduce non forcefully the mechanics.
  • Background and Particles have been changed to better suit this chapter's emotion;
  • These background effects are also available on the Title Screen, Options and HUB;
  • Changing perspective to 2.5D has a new Glow effect;
  • Red Block and arrows received new sprites;

Well, I've done a lot more updates that I'll not go in depth because this body of work relates to levels not yet acessible in game.

CHAPTER 4:

• This chapter is where the Black and White perspective will be introduced. Will go about this mechanic on a later post.
  • For now its has also been polished with its background and particle effects available on the Title Screen, Options and HUB.
  • If you managed to play some of its levels available on an earlier version, know that they been revisited
  • Revisions have been made on levels 31, 32, 33, 34 and 35 and will be made available again on a later update.
CHAPTER 5 & 6:

• Background art and particles are finally in place and are also ready on Title Screen, Options and HUB;
  • I've also implemented a new mechanic not previously planned but I think may add some interesting possibilities.
SPECIAL LEVELS:

There is one in each chapter and they require you to collect every key in the previous 9 levels. The gameplay in these will focus on the attaching mechanics seen in the trailer. After testing, these will only have one main objective: Attach every block and proceed to the end platform. It made a lot of sense due to gameplay progression, how you get access to these and the constrains of keeping every puzzle on one screen.

• Aside from defining that, I managed to create all sprite art for all the 3 perspectives for the main blocks and end platform on this level.
FINAL SECTION:

The games final cutscene has been implemented, still requires some polish, but it is already there.

Hit the follow button and wishlist 63 Little Pieces.
Stay safe and have fun!

Itch.io | Twitter | IndieDB | Link Tree

See ya!