• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

3D Game Techniques?

E

elementbound

On the old forum, there was a subforum for 3D examples. I think it was this one. I really liked it because it had many nice demos and samples with shiny graphics, and I'm pretty much into shiny graphics :D

My question is, is there something similar on this forum? And if so, where would it be? I'm thinking about posting some of my own projects. These are small demos that show a single feature ( think of depth of field or shadows ). Where should I post these? I was thinking about the tutorial section, but then again, these are not really tutorials, more like commented example projects.

E

elementbound

So, is this basically a general showoff and discussion topic for 3D stuff made with Game Maker? I like the effort! :D
If I'm correct, I'll go for a shameless plug there with my project :D

O

orange451

No there isn't, and most likely no there won't be. The Game Maker developers don't care about its 3d users. To quote: "Not going to happen. Not enough interest or traffic, and the YYG devs always insist that GM isn't for 3D".

Which is a shame. Clearly there is a market for it based on the amount of forum posts that are geared towards 3d topics.

xygthop3

"Not going to happen. Not enough interest or traffic, and the YYG devs always insist that GM isn't for 3D"
Isn't there also an argument for "If they add more functions then more people would be interested/use 3D?". Current state is far too limiting, hence why people either lose interest or give up with work arounds and move on to other software. If 3D was better implemented, I'm assuming this would open up a whole new market and user base for GM.

Last edited:
E

elementbound

@xygthop3: I assume that would be pretty hard to market though. GM has a whole pipeline for creating 2D games, so having proper functionality but no asset pipeline for a 3D game could seem weird and/or lacking. Even though that could be easily done with some GML. So it could be more work on yoyo's part than giving us some more texture formats.

@KingdomOfGamez that's exactly what I've been looking for :D

Now my only question remaining, where do I post samples? I would like to have a thread per demo/sample, so people can provide feedback and I can react to it properly.

O

orange451

so having proper functionality but no asset pipeline for a 3D game could seem weird and/or lacking.[/USER]
What's weird is having the half-finished 3d implentation for the past 10 years, that hides random function calls away from its users.

I wouldn't be weirded out at all for a complete implementation with no convenience functions. It would stop the complaints, and be quite easy to implement. There's no downside.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
What's weird is having the half-finished 3d implentation for the past 10 years, that hides random function calls away from its users.

I wouldn't be weirded out at all for a complete implementation with no convenience functions. It would stop the complaints, and be quite easy to implement. There's no downside.
What's also weird is a lack of low-level matrix, vector and quaternion types and functions. Every engine I've seen with proper 3D support has these, simply because so much of 3D graphics and physics are based on linear algebra. It's the least GMS could have done to make it easier, but it still isn't done.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Even if GM got better 3D support, there is still a problem:
3D needs more maths and structure than 2D. Infact, whilst you can get away with having almost no scene structure in 2d, its not as easy in 3D. GM's language makes it rather hard to structure things nicely due to it not really being object orientated, making game development actually harder (not so much in 2d, but still a bit).

That being said, there are workarounds, but i have long come to terms that any projects needing any form of structure beyond just a room with objects simoly wont work in GM for me.

O

orange451

Even if GM got better 3D support, there is still a problem:
GM's language makes it rather hard to structure things nicely due to it not really being object orientated, making game development actually harder (not so much in 2d, but still a bit).
That's why Me and MishMash are making a nice 3d level editing tool in our off time.

KurtBlissZ

There's a 3d prefix for the programming forums, so I guess that's closest to the 3D Game Techniques sub forum that we got.
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?forums/programming.13/&prefix_id=18

I do like how the new forums have been simplified without having all these different sub forums.

Edit: There isn't any 3d prefixes for any of the other sub forums though, at-least what I see at the moment. Idk if it would make sense in some others subforums to have a 3d prefix, for example if they are used to tell whether your game is in alpha or beta in the WIP forums.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Where should I post these? I was thinking about the tutorial section, but then again, these are not really tutorials, more like commented example projects.
If they are well enough commented then yes, you could indeed make a tutorial for them... A tutorial doesn't have to be all text. You could also package them into one file and put it up in the WIP forum for people to comment on and help improve.

Isn't there also an argument for "If they add more functions then more people would be interested/use 3D?".
That's not actually anything to do with the issue... the issue is that there are already a number of dedicated 3D engines on the market and GM can't hope to compete with them and so doesn't even try. It's a dedicated 2D engine, and the devs have stated time and again that it'll always be a dedicated 2D engine, with 3D only supported as a tool to add certain 2.5D effects etc... to your 2D games.

There's a 3d prefix for the programming forums, so I guess that's closest to the 3D Game Techniques sub forum that we got.
Yep, that's it exactly. Use prefixes and topic tags for specific stuff like 3D (or networking or whatever...).