• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

3D sphere questions

U

UtterlyBrainDead

Ok so this is what I need to do:

1. Create a genuine sphere.
2. Import an image then wrap it around the sphere seamlessly.
3. Break the surface into tiles which each has its own height value that can be adjusted. Please see the image below where I can do this in 2d:

Background1.png

I'm offsetting where I extrude each tiles height too based on its location from the centre of the map to give some illusion of curvature. But it isn't good enough for what I want. I want to create a sphere and do it to the surface of that shape not the surface of a flat image.

Please can I ask if anyone knows how to do this?

I also need it so I can rotate the sphere and the tiles rotate around with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zircher

If I were to try and do this in GM:S, the first thing I would do would be to create a hi-res sphere in a 3D modeling program. I would then take the vert data used to build that sphere and save it out as a text file of unique points on the sphere's surface. I would then in-game import that data and use those points to add 3D pillars (of various heights) that would use the data to form the starting point for placement. Each pillar would then be oriented to face away from the center of the sphere. From there, zooming in/out and rotation are all just matters of moving and orienting the camera.

[Oh, I'm imagining this as a 3d project. To do it in 2d would require an additional step to 'flatten' the model data.]