• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Legacy GM 3D Multiplayer game in GM, would it be possible?

Alexx

Possible, yes.
Doable, no.

In order to do this you would need a lot of understanding of so many things.
If you're new and just starting out, I guess you could get something working in 2 - 3 years.

Aww man that sucks :/
Tho can't you give the player a sprite and when a player joins it would just create another obj_player in the room?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Aww man that sucks :/
Tho can't you give the player a sprite and when a player joins it would just create another obj_player in the room?
It would work, but how would you be able to tell a player joins?

The whole netcode part is the hard part of multiplayer :p

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
How are you planning to let the obj_server know which other computers to talk to and what data to interchange with them?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Then start by figuring that out. Have you read the manual pages on the online multiplayer functions?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Yes, I also have a little bit of knowledge in general networking.
Really? You don't talk like someone who does. If you understand general networking, you would know nothing synchronizes by magic just because you have a connection. You would also know that whether the graphics are 2D or 3D doesn't change the big picture of how networked games function.

Look up how correspondence chess works, and think over what its relationship is with multiplayer games:
One thing that I now demand of all networking novices is an understanding of procedures in correspondence chess, even if they don't all play chess. That's the closest physical analogue of how actual multiplayer games work, and it stops dead most rookie myths about multiplayer games.
  • The connection is not a shared board between the players on a table, it's just the mailman in a correspondence game.
  • Nothing happens on your board until you act upon mail sent out by your opponent.
  • Nothing happens on your opponent's board until you send him/her mail stating what your move is.
  • For the same reason you can't use chess notation in backgammon, bridge or StarCraft, you have to tailor the form and notation to the game.
Then look for a simple chat program or networking functions tutorial for your version of GM, just to get familiar with the procedures. Then adapt the messages to talk about your game's mechanics and draw your game's looks instead of whatever the tutorial's project is about, and there's your 3D multiplayer game.

If you aren't willing to do this simple mental exercise, you don't have the mental capacity to make it happen.

Another question
What if you use a node.js server or really any other type of server? How couldI make so that the server handles packets and all of that? Also could I get a link to the online manual? I can't seem to find it

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If you aren't willing to do this simple mental exercise, you don't have the mental capacity to make it happen.
I didn't read the whole thing lol
Well, I think we've got the answer...

How couldI make so that the server handles packets and all of that?
Um, write code?
Also there's this magical tool called THE INTERNET that lets you answer trivial questions without having to make real people do your homework:
1588417928005.png

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
you dont really have to be that mean you know
If you don't want responders being "mean" to you, read the instructions you were given instead of talking back to us saying that you ignored them on purpose. And if you can't read the instructions, you should not be working on projects that require you to have understood them. It's fine to be new, but it's not fine to skip basics.

Sabnock

If you don't want responders being "mean" to you, read the instructions you were given instead of talking back to us saying that you ignored them on purpose. And if you can't read the instructions, you should not be working on projects that require you to have understood them. It's fine to be new, but it's not fine to skip basics.
FrostyCat taking the forums to his happy place once again.

The strap line at the head of the forums should read - "GMS - in association with FrostyCat. Making noobs cry since 2005"

Sabnock

you dont really have to be that mean you know
unfortunately they are right, they just haven't worded it very nicely.

From reading your responses it would indeed seem that you need to get a better understanding how multiplayer games work. There is some good advice in FrostyCats initial post and it would serve you well to read it and look at his suggestions.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
And if you can't read the instructions, you should not be working on projects that require you to have understood them.
Or, alternatively, practice reading and patience, two very good skills not only in programming but in life in general.

S

Sybok

unfortunately they are right, they just haven't worded it very nicely.
I was initially going to be more blunt with my response also, but I was intending for the general meaning to be implied.