3D in GM2

A

Adam Mansour

People told me that gamemaker is rather for people who want to create 2d games.
But if someone insisted on making a 3d game in this engine. How would it hold up
to the other popular ones everyone knows?

M

Misu

Im... Not sure if this is considered an offtopic thread since it relates to GM.
Also I dont know what you refer from "other popular ones". Can you be more specific?

As to jump back into topic, 3D with gm is really difficult and very limited. However it is possible to make great 3D projects out of it. Ive made several 3D experiments over the past 8 years (from beginning practicing 3D) and all may not seem top the notch but were great for small stuff.

3D is difficult in GM, but it isn't stopping me from making a game on the scale of something like Halo 3. Yes, it's much harder to work with GM's 3D versus other dedicated, more capable engines, but it doesn't mean it's entirely unfeasible; half the fun I get out of development is how much I've had to work on things that are an easy given in other engines. Mark Overmars stated in the manual that you wouldn't be able to make the next Doom or Quake with even version 6.1 which first introduced 3D, but even back then, my game was on a much larger scale than either of those two franchises in their early years, and with all the advancements YoYo has made over the years, including compiling and shaders, the potential for decent 3D games has vastly grown. Even so, I wouldn't recommend GameMaker for any serious 3D development considering how much low-level stuff you'll have to design from scratch, but that doesn't mean it isn't capable of any of it. You definitely won't be designing stuff capable of being on the same level as other major engines on their worst days, but you can still get some decent stuff out of GM if you really commit.

And no, no pics. Not yet.

D

Deleted member 13992

It's capable of it (semi-ish), but you would write you own 3d engine from scratch, within GM2 to make that happen.

Also, define the look of "popular ones everyone knows". That's pretty vague. That's not a visual style, that's just popularity. You can have equally popular mainstream games that are completely different in visual style. Compare Mario to Sekiro. About as different as you can get.

The biggest problem is that gml is very slow. 3d is going to involve more math, and potentially a lot more stuff drawn on the screen, both of which are going to be hindered by gml's speed. If gml was made much faster, and a few new shader/gpu related things were made available to us, it would revolutionize gamemaker especially when it comes to 3d.

In my opinion yoyo should launch a new product, aimed specifically at desktop platforms (because mobile cross-compatability is holding everything back), and that also drops all the old gml baggage in favor of fast execution.

L

Lonewolff

It's capable of it (semi-ish), but you would write you own 3d engine from scratch, within GM2 to make that happen.
Or write your 3D engine externally and import it in. GMS can do both.

3D in GMS is a very rewarding task, but is quite an undertaking.

It comes back for your reasons for making a game. If you want to make a quick buck, then I wouldn't recommend it. If you want to gain knowledge that will roll over to any engine you use, then I highly recommend doing it.

Your motivations are your own, there is no right or wrong answer here and no one has the right to tell you otherwise. Gotta do what is right for you. :)

@BattleRifle BR55 has been working on his game for many years. I have been working on my 3D engine in some form for many years (in some form). We both get told we are crazy ("use a different engine"). We both get told we are legends. It's one of those polarising things. At the end of the day our knowledge will destroy someone who uses Unity or Unreal as they won't understand 'why' those engines work they way they do.

Last edited by a moderator: