• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Development 3d graphics displayed in 2d

scorpafied

so lately been working on a game and im really happy with it so far but im now at the point where i need graphics and the stuff i like the people arent available.

so im thinking of getting 3d stuff. having em rendered and displayed as 2d. but im not sure if gamemaker could handle that...

is this viable or is gamemaker gonna have a small heart attack lol. cause i know it cant really handle 3d games. but im not sure tge quality of the graphics its able to handle. as ive onky really seen basic pixel art used on large projects.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13992

Do you mean prerendering 3D models to sprites/spritesheets? this is totally doable (I do it for my current project).

But if you mean having 3d models "rendered by gamemaker as 2d", then that's just your conventional 3d rendering.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
GM lets you feed an arbitrary projection matrix into the rendering pipeline these days, so you should be able to make a custom ortho projection without perspective effects that gives you a "2D" look. If you use the new layer script feature to set/reset the matrix you could even intermix 2D and 3D layers as you see fit.