• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

3D games

P

PixelSquid

Hello GMC
I want to mess around with Game maker and make something like this:
Are there any good tutorials on the subject?
Thanks

A

Aura

There are a few 3D tutorials, fewer good ones, so I'd suggest that you grasp how GML and 3D works in general before attempting to do something 3D in GameMaker (...and please do not attempt to make a 3D game as your first game, try simpler things first) since it's going to take a reasonable amount of effort; at least if you want to make something of good quality.

First of all, you should give the Manual a read as things work in a different way when you're using 3D. It should also help you grasp how various functions work:

http://docs.yoyogames.com/source/dadiospice/002_reference/drawing/drawing 3d/index.html

This might help as well:

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=667997

Once you have understood how various basic 3D concepts work, you'd want to follow some open source 3D projects to get a hold of the techniques:

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showforum=41

B

BoredMormon

It's also worth noting that GameMaker is not well suited to 3D games. Sure you can do them, but there are better engines out there if 3D is your target.

R

RealsLife

You're looking for a doom kind of style so i recommend to look for doom making tutorials also I think that you could possible make an object(create floor and roof in 3d in it look up the info game maker studio gives you about 3D) and if you can make another object wall make your 3D blok in it and you just place the blok on the map where you can like you would with a tile and just represent is by a sprite or somthing(and make the cube the same length). For the floor and roof you cool use a for loop to draw cubes on another Z position or just use a flat sprite or somthing or flat shape as roof. I've never done 3D in game maker studio but I don't think it is that complicated as for the kind of game you want to make.

d3d_start(); //This code has been placed in the create event of an instance to tell GameMaker: Studio that all further drawing should be done in 3D mode.

d3d_draw_block(x1, y1, z1, x2, y2, z2, tex, hrepeat, vrepeat)
x1 The initial x coordinate of the block.
y1 The initial y coordinate of the block.
z1 The initial z coordinate of the block.
x2 The opposite x coordinate of the block.
y2 The opposite y coordinate of the block.
z2 The opposite z coordinate of the block.
tex The id of the texture to use (-1 for no texture)
hrepeat Amount of horizontal repetitions for the texture.
vrepeat Amount of vertical repetitions for the texture

d3d_set_projection(100, 100, 10, 200, 100, 10, 0, 0, 1);
The above code creates a typical first person shooter view.

extra info about projection:
Often in 3D games you want to change how you look at the world. For example, in a first person shooter you probably want to have the camera look from a position a bit above the xy-plane along the xy-plane, which, in graphics terms, involves setting the correct projection. This projection should be set in an instance that is created before all other instances (you can set this from the Instance Order window in the Room Editor), and it should be at a very low depth so that is drawn before all other instances in your room, otherwise you will get issues when drawing. NOTE When GameMaker starts drawing a room it will set the view point back to the default position, so the first thing you must do when drawing the scene is set is to the projection you want. This must be done in the draw event of an instance!

For the 2D graphics GUI just draw your stuff on the DRAW GUI layer
See game maker studio can handle this :D!

Last edited by a moderator: