• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

3D Dilemma

Tyg

Im having a difficult time decing on the coordinate system and this is why
My modeling program iClone exports in ZUP and YUP i prefer ZUP
but that shows the GUI plane
If i go -Z it hides the GUi plane underneith great..but now i have to flip all my models (sigh)
If i go YUP or -Y the GUI plane shows up sideways
So i thought to move the terrain way down ZUP the Great the GUI is way up in the sky, but now i have to change all the model coordinate
I need GUIs for the HUD but why are they also drawn on the plane,
If i turn there visibility off the draw event doesnt trigger,
If i leave the sprite on the object it wont show on the GUI plane and i could use draw_sprite instead
But then i have no visual reference in the editor
Maybe thats best
Does anyone know how to hide them from the GUI Plane but still have them draw
or some trick to hide them inside a building or mountain...lol
I really want ZUP it works easily with IClone no model inversion
My second choice is -Z up
Any suggestions are appreciated
Just thinking maybe there a way to set the GUI depth under my terrain, will depth actually move the GUI plane?
Thinking if i could move the plane outside of the skybox

Awesome that did it, just unlocked the layer where i put all my GUIs and gave it a ridiculous depth and it moved the plane
dont know where they are hiding now, but i think its getting hot down there.... i'm so happy :)

Last edited:
You could either disable the sprites in-game by changing the index, or remove them in the object properties after you've got the layout set.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
but that shows the GUI plane
use the Draw GUI event to draw the GUI instead, it's drawing directly to the back buffer once all views have finished drawing so it's independent of transforms and geometry.

Tyg

use the Draw GUI event to draw the GUI instead, it's drawing directly to the back buffer once all views have finished drawing so it's independent of transforms and geometry.
Hi yal .. Im talking about 3D, Its no problem drawing any Guis, i have a special layer for that, they draw fine
but if you have ever worked with a 3D camera system the GUI layer is also drawn as a plane as well as the GUI because you need to have the draw visible
I solved it by moving the plane depth, Heres a picture

Gui_layer.jpg
The issue was not about drawing GUIs but the 3D plane
There is still a GUI plane in 3D, it works the same if you have ever used Unity
Just put the GUIs on one layer and change the layer depth
Gone and GUIs still working fine :)

Last edited:

Tyg

Yes that is where it is written, but the back buffer still has a projection mat or its just a buffer, the buffers are then projected as layers
It was a layer depth problem, putting all the GUIs on one layer and changing the depth of that layer solved it
every layer has a depth including the background, they get projected onto the screen in layers.
2D games even use layering and projection mats but its not that obvious
GUIs still have a projection mat and are displayed on a layer regardless of where they are stored
If you have ever worked with Unity its quite obvious where the projection mat is

So yes the GUIs draw to the back buffer, but that back buffer gets projected onto a layer that has a depth that can be changed.
in your room editor why do you think there is a depth field on the background layer? hmmm