• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

3D 3d character?

C

Cinos Rider

If you load a custom model of a character, how do you use it as your
Character in 3rd person?

C

Cinos Rider

I'm talking bout 3rd person that link didn't have a single code for 3rd person, and I'm talking bout using a character model as the player, and making it animate?

CloseRange

You should be smart enough to figure out that 3rd person is practically the same as first person. The difference is you make the camera a little more zoomed out, a little more angled down, then constantly draw the player model in front of the camera. (technically you would move a player object the set the camera's position to the player with an offset) don't expect us to spoon feed you this code because there is no option to say "3rd_person_set(true)" or anything like that.
d3d_set_projection, as @DividingByZero has shown you, is the way you move the camera. I suggest you go online, look up game maker 3D tutorials until you actually understand how it works, then you can either figure it out for yourself (as you should if you actually knew game maker's 3D) or you can look up "game maker 3rd person camera" on YouTube. There are PLENTY of tutorials out there.

As for your imported model, what kind of "model" are you talking about? Is it a pure GM model? or is it some other type (like .blend, .fbx, .obj, ect)? if it isn't purely a game maker model (these are hard coded into your game) then you are looking at a rough time. Game maker doesn't support pure model imports like this so you would have to learn that model type and how it's formatted, then either edit the file to fit your needs, or write your own custom code that is able to turn that file into something game maker can read. There might be tutorials for this somewhere but it's tedious and boring work so it would be difficult to find i'm sure.

If that sounds like too much work then don't even try to deal with animating models because that's 10x harder dealing with interpolating the vertices of the model. You would also have to deal more into converting the animation file into a way that game maker can read it, then you'd have to deal with all the transformations and matrices involved in moving the model and it becomes a mess very quickly.

Remember game maker was not meant for 3D rendering, it was just an after thought by YoYo Games. If you want an extremely easy way to make a first person game, learn Unity. With Unity you don't have to deal with any of this.

Sincerely,
-CloseRange

C

Cinos Rider

There's a model converter I can use, also I knew that there wasn't exactly a 3rd person code, but that link didn't have anything to help figure out what to do.

TheSnidr

Heavy metal viking dentist
GMC Elder
Check out the picture link in my signature! :D It's a model processing tool I'm working on. It lets you import.obj files, animate them and use them in GM. The previous version, v0.8.6 also works in GMS 1.4.

@CloseRange: Telling someone something is hard without further explanation is useless. Tell them how to do it, and let them decide themselves if it's hard or not. Animating models in GM is entirely possible and not at all that hard.

CloseRange

Check out the picture link in my signature! :D It's a model processing tool I'm working on. It lets you import.obj files, animate them and use them in GM. The previous version, v0.8.6 also works in GMS 1.4.

@CloseRange: Telling someone something is hard without further explanation is useless. Tell them how to do it, and let them decide themselves if it's hard or not. Animating models in GM is entirely possible and not at all that hard.
I'm sorry I've never actually seen it really done before. I'm very impressed, every experience I've had with game maker's 3D has only ever been a mess. I didn't give further explanations because I still believe in the process of making all the code yourself at least once to get the idea of how it's done. Better for learning the ropes so you don't get lost in the future.

@Cinos Rider
Sorry if my post seemed passive aggressive I just read back over it. I was a bit tired at the time and didn't mean to sound rude. :oops: