• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

360 VR Images in Gamemaker Studio 2???

G

GOD-sSs-END

Hello, all:

I'm curious as to whether or not Gamemaker Studio can use a 360 VR image, and if it's functional?

If not, is there a work-around that does the trick?

If not, anyone have any ideas?

I asked recently about 360 video, but an interactive VR panorama would work just a well; in fact, it'd be better.

Thanks.

G

GOD-sSs-END

Yeah, I got that. But this is actually different. And . . . there may be more solutions out there, of which you are unaware.

Thanks though.

Even an add-on for purchase or something would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lonewolff

Images - Easy, just texture a sphere / hemi-sphere.
Videos - Easy, just texture a sphere / hemi-sphere.

Just google 'skydome 3d'

G

GOD-sSs-END

How do you create a sphere in a 2D game?

What I have is a 2D game in which 3 of my rooms (actual rooms not code rooms) I'd like players to view as a 360 image. There doesn't seem to be a function for sphere creation. . .

Not a GMS pro by any stretch here.

Thanks for any input you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Binsk

Sounds easy when you say "just texture a sphere", but that is part of what is difficult.

1) You can render 3D things in 2D rooms. It takes some matrix knowledge, though, and GM doesn't have pre-built functions to generate spheres. You have to generate them yourself via code or model it in software and code the import process (Remember, GM is not a 3D tool so it doesn't provide much in way of 3D conveniences).

2) You can't just natively "texture" a video onto a sphere. You need to render it to a surface or something and texture the sphere with the surface. However, I don't know of any methods built-in that allow you to render a video to a surface in GM. You would need to write your own video importer that can do that (or find one on the marketplace).

3) You specified VR image which requires stereoscopic rendering. If you are just doing side-by-side rendering, this isn't that big a deal (like for mobile devices and whatnot). If you are targeting the higher-up VR devices that have more than one screen, you will need to write a DLL that can push your images to each eye individually.

None of this is really simple if you don't know what you're doing. Look on the marketplace to see if you can find extensions that can do some of these if you aren't up to the task of writing them yourself.

Unity here I come. . .
If that's your attitude towards your own lack of research and effort, you aren't cut out for programming, Unity or otherwise.

Last edited:
G

GOD-sSs-END

Dude! I had my doubts about you at first, but your last post was really informative.

Sorry about earlier, really. I love games and am a techie, but in many game and tech forums you see a lot of posers who just one-line everyone or push them to the manual.

One that, I can render 360 images using DAZ studio. I also know my way around Adobe CC and have a few options there for creating 360 images.

Now for the sphere.

I cannot find a cleanly coded sphere with a map (or even much of a partial to hack), even with the Google search for "sky dome," "hemisphere," "sphere," etc.

Any thoughts or working code examples?

S

Sam (Deleted User)

I believe this could be a huge help:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?posts/341568/

Its free and open source. Works on all desktop platforms in GameMaker 8.1, GMStudio 1.4, and GMS 2.x. For Studio branded versions of game maker you'll need to uncommend studio-specific code and comment out GM 8.1 specific code. It's one room with one object with just a few events so its pretty easy to do and the stuff you'll need to comment and uncomment are marked as such. Please ignore the executable that was not made with GameMaker and just import the GM81 file. If you need it conversted to a YYP i can send you one in a PM. The source code is an incredible mess, but you only need to edit the ini file to technically make a game with it, if you don't mind only targeting desktop as a starting point. I even got it working in HTML5 with the help of @YellowAfterlife's pointer lock extension.

My project does require a DLL for Windows, a DYLIB for Mac, an SO for Linux, and a JS for HTML5 to add two simple trig functions that GM does not have built-in. The only one I haven't built is the SO for Linux out of laziness, but if you need this extension with those trig functions I'm also more than willing to share that with you as well.

You can even import an animated GIF for compression or a horizontal PNG strip if you need a looping animation for your 360 degree panorama. Right now it only works with Cylindrical panormas, but Cubic and Spherical are going to be added in the future hopefully.

G

GOD-sSs-END

I believe this could be a huge help:
https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?posts/341568/

Its free and open source. Works on all desktop platforms in GameMaker 8.1, GMStudio 1.4, and GMS 2.x. For Studio branded versions of game maker you'll need to uncommend studio-specific code and comment out GM 8.1 specific code. It's one room with one object with just a few events so its pretty easy to do and the stuff you'll need to comment and uncomment are marked as such. Please ignore the executable that was not made with GameMaker and just import the GM81 file. If you need it conversted to a YYP i can send you one in a PM. The source code is an incredible mess, but you only need to edit the ini file to technically make a game with it, if you don't mind only targeting desktop as a starting point. I even got it working in HTML5 with the help of @YellowAfterlife's pointer lock extension.

My project does require a DLL for Windows, a DYLIB for Mac, an SO for Linux, and a JS for HTML5 to add two simple trig functions that GM does not have built-in. The only one I haven't built is the SO for Linux out of laziness, but if you need this extension with those trig functions I'm also more than willing to share that with you as well.

You can even import an animated GIF for compression or a horizontal PNG strip if you need a looping animation for your 360 degree panorama. Right now it only works with Cylindrical panormas, but Cubic and Spherical are going to be added in the future hopefully.
That was my original idea -- create a gif and then code collisions to navigate the image left and right, but that's a big file. A mapped sphere (if that's what it is) might be better and cheaper in terms of image size.

Ultimately, I don't need anything converted, and I do thank you for your time and consideration. All I really need is a code snippet of a sphere that is working.

You can't post that, can you?

Or is it that complicated?