Asset - Project 🦊 Foxey Platform Engine (Complete 2D Platformer Project) ⭕ v1.3.1

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games

Advanced platform for for many purposes! With this platform engine, you will be able to make your own game without changing almost anything and at the same time having control of everything! Everything is very easy to customize, just change numbers or sprites and you have made a game!
  • For Game Maker Studio 2.3+ (Latest)

GALLERY:
Some GIFs of how the project is.

FEATURES:
What you will find in the project.

• Skills System: 4 types of skills that can be easily modified, added or removed. Using enumerators for the system.
    • Normal: You can put a sword in your hand to deal damage if you want.
    • Bomber: Drop bombs to kill and destroy everything in your front!
    • Shooter: Shoot with your weapon, it has spare ammo and reload time.
    • Shuriken: Like a ninja!, pull items for yourself with this skill.
  • Gamepads: Supports Direct Input and XInput controllers and others.
  • Save and Load System: Secure system that uses JSON and buffers (unreadable format).
  • State Machine: The player changes actions in a simple way using enumerators.
  • Jump/Variable Jump: You can jump and control the jump height, can be customized.
  • Multi Jump: Single, Double, Triple or infinite jump! You choose.
  • Friction and Acceleration: For the player.
  • Run: The player can run faster.
  • One Way Platform: Jump underneath the platforms and fall through.
  • Fall-through platforms: Can be deactivated in any instance.
  • Ladders: You can also shoot from the side when climbing.
  • Climb: On walls, I walked lightly.
  • Wall Jump: Climb and jump walls as you slide.
  • Wall Slide: Slowly slide down any wall.
  • Ice terrain: Slide on the ice!
  • Pixel Perfect Camera: Make the game look good on all screens! Smooth and fixed camera. You can change the focus of the camera just by setting the variable for any object.
  • Camera Shake: The camera shakes when taking damage or anything you want.
  • Camera Focus: Focus the camera on a specific area of the room.
  • Pixel Perfect Collisions System: Choose an object to be solid, you can stretch it that will work! No problems with infinite loops or crash.
  • Water Shader with Physics: Any sprite can be used as water. Control the brightness, saturation, contrast and color of the water via code.
  • Swim: The player can swim and walk underwater.
  • Menu: Uses only keyboard and gamepad, can adjust volume and others.
  • HUD/UI: Show your lives, scores, bullets, skills, coins and more.
  • Parallax Background: Depth effect in the background.
  • Dialog Boxes: Use only one function to add dialogs! No need to duplicate objects, can be done in the room editor. The text fits perfectly without extra words appearing at the end, it is possible to skip the text animation.
  • Plates with Text: Contains text that can be read using the dialog boxes.
  • Slopes: You can create any type of uneven terrain. (Recommended not to get close to 90 degrees vertical).
  • Terrain raycasting: The object you want can rotate on the ground (an enemy for example).
  • Pushable Box: It can be pushed and rotates on the ground.
  • Conveyor Belts: Auto configurable, just choose the sprite.
  • Moving Platforms: Both horizontal and vertical.
  • Directional Platforms: Change the number of platforms, circles, distance, distance between circles and speed.
  • Path-based platforms: Jump to activate or activate automatically, use multiple paths in one instance, draw path lines.
  • Silhouette Flash Shader: Perfect for demonstrating damage to an enemy when hit.
  • Trail effect: Leave the trail of any sprite to create a Metroidvania like effect. (can be customized.)
  • Coins: Collect coins that can be used for something.
  • Lives and Health System: Lose health when hit the player, lose lives if you have no health.
  • Invulnerability System: Player and enemies become invulnerable for a time when hit them.
  • Power ups: Comes with two types of power ups, bombs and lives, you can add as many as you want without having to duplicate objects.
  • Spring: Bounce, hold up to bounce higher!
  • Flexible Keyboard Map: All key events are stored in variables to be able to map in a simple way.
  • Music Player: Play a certain song at each level.
  • Audio Groups: All music and effects are organized into audio groups.
  • Pause: Pause the entire game at any time, and all sounds also pause!
  • Game Over: If you lose all lives, you will be returned to the menu. (or a game over screen).
  • Game Transitions: With a shader, you can create any transition between rooms however you want. Easy customizable.
  • Flag: Take it and go to the next level.
  • Damage Object: Make any thorn damage the player.
  • Custom Font: Includes a custom font that can be replaced.
  • Particles: Smoke when walking, slipping, explosions, water bubbles and gun fire.
  • Debugger: Includes X-ray, FPS, Real FPS, bounding boxes and others.
  • Optimized: Objects out of camera view are not drawn and you get performance on Android and iOS platform (and all others).
  • 6 Enemies (with AI):
    • Pterodactyl: Move smoothly left and right while looking at the player, step on top to kill him.
    • Fish: He stays in the water, just go over that he jumps high in random positions, you can kill with bombs.
    • Slug: While walking, if he realizes that the player is in front of it, he starts facing and start throwing his disgusting slime towards the player! If you step on top, it curls up in the shell and it is possible to kick it and if it is stopped for a while, it will return to normal. it doesn’t take damage from the shell.
    • Spiky: Walk left and right, sometimes jump and you can only kill with bombs.
    • Dinosaur: Walk left and right, stepping on top will flatten he out.
    • Carnivorous Plant: Look in your direction, if you get close it switch to attack position.
  • YYC Compatible.
  • Compatible with all platforms: Desktop, Mobile, Console and HTML 5 (with standard restrictions).
  • Variables names and general code with consistency.
  • Easy to modify and extend to your needs.
  • 2 example levels and 1 for tests.
  • All codes are commented by parts (but they are not supersaturated).
  • The player's entire logic is independent, so if you want to remove some functionality, it's easy.
  • Includes many sound effects and 8-bit music.
  • All sprites, audio and codes can be used in commercial games, BUT, you cannot resell this source code itself even if modified. (See EULA). If you find any problems, feel free to contact my email.
  • Made by a 9 years+ experienced programmer.
  • Credit is appreciated, but not mandatory. (Foxy Of Jungle :bunny:).
  • Everything is in a .yyz file, just open it with Game Maker Studio 2. (File > Open Project) This is a source project, using GML.

BUY PROJECT:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
✅ BUY IT ON YOYOGAMES MARKETPLACE | PRICE: $29.99
🎮 TEST IT ON ITCH.IO (DEMO, .zip and .apk) | Foxy Of Jungle (Get more amazing assets!)

(Both stores have identical versions that are stable). Itch.io password: foxy123 (The Itch.io site is under maintenance, will come back in the future).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

All support will be given to those who buy the content, more updates will come. (Read EULA on itch.io fro some details).
After purchasing, you will receive free updates.

❗ Attention: This is not a mix of several projects, everything was done carefully from scratch and with love, all the details were thought out. I guarantee.
Thank you for getting here!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

ROADMAP UPDATED (To-do list):
Note that all of these things take time to do and what is written below can be removed or added at any time, it is not guaranteed to be included, but it is possible and I would like. There is no specific order of when I will add.

• New powerful State Machine engine (It will be used for both the player and other things like enemies)
  • New Input system engine
  • New screen transition system
  • Recreation of the player core code
  • Coyote time jump
  • Seesaw platform
  • Checkpoints
  • Buttons / switches / pressure plates (for opening doors, moving platforms, triggering traps, setting off explosives etc.)
  • Teleporters (doors, pipes)
  • Lifts (moving platforms which are triggered when player enters and stops at end points)
  • Elevator (with door that opens and closes)
  • Keys (for unlocking closed doors etc.)
  • Falling blocks/platforms (after standing on them)
  • Crushers / Crushing blocks (2 types: 1: Falls/crushes when player is below, then resets/pulls back, 2: in a timed loop like pistons).
  • Spike traps (timed loop or triggered after standing on them).
  • Falling stones (falls on player when player is below - does not reset).
  • Lava / geysers (springs out from ground).
  • Melee attack (with sword)
  • Weather (Rain with flashes, Snow, Falling Leaves)
  • Boat on water
  • New Waterfall
  • Frog enemy that uses his tongue
  • Ground Slide [ADDED] [**]
  • Ground Dash [ADDED] [**]
  • Air Dash
  • New Skill: Bow & Arrow
  • Ropes (static and swing)
  • Grappling Hook (like Just Cause)
  • Path-based camera movement
  • Grab the ceiling (only horizontal movement)
  • When shooting, have a push back
  • Wall climbing [ADDED] [**]
  • Simple light system (for dark environments)
  • Rotating spines
  • Boss (rocky monster)
  • Lava
  • Fire that jumps off the lava
  • 3 slots save and load system
  • Wind zone (that causes the player to be propelled upwards)
  • Raycasting for the other enemies
  • Fish (normal and following)
  • Game over screen
  • Highscores
  • NPC (can talk with the player and the player can answer)
  • Shop (on screen)
  • Secret areas that reveal when touching (layer fade)
  • Cave level (with light)
  • New fully made level with uneven terrain (like Super Mario W2 Yoshi's Island)
  • Treasure chests/boxes (break with sword. With coins) [ADDED] [**]
  • Magnet coins (there will be two types: normal / static and magnetic, same object) [ADDED] [**]
  • Quicksand
  • Switch Block (that inverts some blocks to coins)
  • Timer (It will be possible to disable this, in the obj_game_control)
  • Carry items in the player's hand
  • Jet pack for the player (with fuel limit)
  • Brick blocks that breaks (like Mario, with little life does not break)
  • Cannon that fire bullets
  • Player ground pound state
  • Vineyards (that grow from blocks)
  • Yoshi-like object that can mount
  • Android: Virtual buttons on screen (to move the player, jump, interactions...)
  • Map of levels (unlockable ones, like Super Mario World)
  • Pause Menu with buttons
  • Player crouch
[ADDED] Those are features that will be present in the next update.
[**] These marked in purple will be refactored in a future update.
You can also suggest something, just comment on the page, I will decide if it will be possible to add. :)

v1.3.1 Is released!
Check release notes.

Trailer (old)

KazanGames3.png

Last edited:
This is totally cool! and just what I have been looking for!

One question though, is it allowed to make commercial games with this engine, provided that I use my own sprites and such?

Edit: Nevermind. I just read the description. lol. Sold! You had me a wall jumping! aka Mega Man X

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Will you be adding different types of bosses?
Hi, I can make rooms that contain some different bosses. Most of the graphics were downloaded from OGA and Itch.io (then edited and modified by me), I programmed everything, so I can be limited with what type of boss I can add, because I'm not very good at making characters sprites, but you can suggest some and give some details of what it does and I will make (Suggest video can also help).

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
The type I seem to have trouble with is boss AI. So maybe like a basic NES Mega Man boss?
Here's a video of the bosses from Mega Man 1:
Oh, okay, I can do that. I'll see what sprites I can use for that.
I will make the Carnivorous Plant and try to create a Lazer gun for obstacles.

Edit:
I already made the Enemy, I will show soon

Last edited:
Oh, okay, I can do that. I'll see what sprites I can use for that.
I will make the Carnivorous Plant and try to create a Lazer gun for obstacles.

Edit:
I already made the Enemy, I will show soon
Oh, Ok. I was thinking I didn't see a plant in the video.

By the way, how do I set a different sprite for the wall jump/wall slide?

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Oh, Ok. I was thinking I didn't see a plant in the video.

By the way, how do I set a different sprite for the wall jump/wall slide?
This is something to be added in the next update, as well as the carnivorous plant and some more adjustments.

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
[DEVLOG]

Platforms with directional movements:

Just change some vars to get the result:

(I used custom variables and not built-in variables like hspeed, vspeed and direction)

Done:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carnivorous plant:

NEWS

v1.0.1 * Now available on Itch.io and YG Marketplace

- [ADDED] Directional platforms
- [ADDED] Player new "Wall Slide" state
- [ADDED] Enemy: Carnivorous plant
- [CHANGED] State machine now uses enumerators
- [FIXED] Code cleaned and well commented
- [FIXED] Bomb collision with solid type 1

Last edited:
P

Patriarch

Sorry for the most likely idiotic question but having purchased this asset, how can I build the demo to check it works?

I bought the asset through the marketplace link, downloaded it and clicked "import".

On the "import resources" screen, I selected "add all", clicked on "import" and saved the project in the projects directory on my HDD.

Once the project imports, I tried running it with "F5". This fails with the following code error:

############################################################################################
FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object obj_game_init:

Variable obj_game_init.AG_Music(100008, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_obj_game_init_Create_0 (line 42) - audio_group_load(AG_Music);
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_obj_game_init_Create_0 (line 42)

The problem seems to be something to do with initialising the audio.

Can someone help me with this, please?

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Patriarch

Never mind, I fixed the issue. The problem is that the project, when imported, doesn't setup the audio groups.

For any beginner who runs into a similar problem, here is the fix:

1) Navigate to the Tools, Audio Groups menu.

2) Click on "Add New". Name this new audio group "AG_Music". Add all the resources from the MUSIC folder to this group.

3) Click on "Add New". Name this new audio group "AG_SFX_. Add all the resources from the SFX folder to this group.

4) Build the demo. Enjoy! :)

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Never mind, I fixed the issue. The problem is that the project, when imported, doesn't setup the audio groups.

For any beginner who runs into a similar problem, here is the fix:

1) Navigate to the Tools, Audio Groups menu.

2) Click on "Add New". Name this new audio group "AG_Music". Add all the resources from the MUSIC folder to this group.

3) Click on "Add New". Name this new audio group "AG_SFX_. Add all the resources from the SFX folder to this group.

4) Build the demo. Enjoy! :)
Yeah, I didn’t know that it doesn’t export Audio Groups, good to know. I think this was a bug 🤔 , however good to know it worked! If you need more help I'm here.

--------------------------

And I'm still working on the project, I just can't set a date for upcoming updates.

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
[DEVLOG]

Camera: Automatic area focus: (still working on it, have a bug about ID's)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit:
Done:

(It is possible to place as many areas as you want in the room and just the player touch that the camera will focus on the area.)

This will serve to make the boss room.

Last edited:

Japster

@FoxyOfJungle - Not sure if I'll ever use use it in earnest, but it's so cool I had to grab it! :D

Only thing of concern when loading it up was that I got error messages - Not sure why iOS or Android gave errors about their respective options files (as I have these targets available for my license), unless you've simply just not included them?

Cheers!

Ps - Love the chipmusic track! :D

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
@FoxyOfJungle - Not sure if I'll ever use use it in earnest, but it's so cool I had to grab it! :D

Only thing of concern when loading it up was that I got error messages - Not sure why iOS or Android gave errors about their respective options files (as I have these targets available for my license), unless you've simply just not included them?

Cheers!

Ps - Love the chipmusic track! :D

Hello, Japster

Although I know this type of error message, it is not something that will interfere with the project as a whole, maybe this was because the original project was made in Game Maker Studio 1.4 and I imported it directly into version 2.2.5. (All adjustments were made to work well in GMS 2, but the option files may have gone unnoticed). Another factor may be that when exporting .yyz, GMS 2 did not include options files.

I think one solution is to exchange the .yyz for a .zip and include the entire project in it 🤔

So don't worry that everything is fine with that. I believe that you should adjust these options manually (game title, description and more). :)
(Thanks :D)

Regards.

Last edited:
Hey there mate!
Found this engine on itch.io and will buy it really soon, just wanted to ask a few questions first.
Do you plan on adding new features? I've seen you are taking some requests, so I'm interested if you have some kind of road map or something.
If you are planning on adding things, any possibility to add some metroidvania features such as: hidden rooms (the ones you have to break a wall or go through a fake wall and the wall becomes almost transparent), some different 'powers' like grappling hook or freeze water to create a platform for example, a map of everything that has been explored and, finally, a cutscene maker?
Btw I'm not asking for you to do it, just asking if there's any chance of you doing it lol I've made some of these in the past, but my coding was a mess and it would be nice to have some of these things at the ready.
Anyway, gonna buy it either way, lots of cool stuff, very well done mate!
Cheers

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Hey there mate!
Found this engine on itch.io and will buy it really soon, just wanted to ask a few questions first.
Do you plan on adding new features? I've seen you are taking some requests, so I'm interested if you have some kind of road map or something.
If you are planning on adding things, any possibility to add some metroidvania features such as: hidden rooms (the ones you have to break a wall or go through a fake wall and the wall becomes almost transparent), some different 'powers' like grappling hook or freeze water to create a platform for example, a map of everything that has been explored and, finally, a cutscene maker?
Btw I'm not asking for you to do it, just asking if there's any chance of you doing it lol I've made some of these in the past, but my coding was a mess and it would be nice to have some of these things at the ready.
Anyway, gonna buy it either way, lots of cool stuff, very well done mate!
Cheers
Hello, @VictorSapateiro !

Yes, I plan to add more things to this engine over time, I can do a lot of things on it, but I also can't promise to do everything, as certain things are a lot of work to do, so if I can I will be showing it, but you can suggest any thing, so I’ll choose some to add.

Recently I am making some modifications related to the life system, now, the hearts will be lost when taking damage, if the hearts run out, then the level will restart, if there are no more lives, it will be Game Over. I am also adding an invulnerability system, that it does not take damage for a certain time if it touches an enemy for example. I decided to do it because when I fight a boss it will be very difficult to defeat him without having to die 1 time. Then I will make a boss progress bar. The new boss I am planning to make is a stone monster that does some interesting things, I will still think about.

I am trying to implement a laser system, with a button that enables or disables when stepping on top or placing a block on top of it.
I am in mind to add weapons to the character, this can be a little bit of work, I will not promise yet, but if it works and it is easy to handle, I will be showing it.
Thanks.

Regards.

P

Patriarch

Great work! I'm very impressed with this engine and I'm having lots of fun customising and twaking it to fit my needs.

When will the Yo Yo Marketplace version be updated with the new features and fixes that you have implemented?

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Great work! I'm very impressed with this engine and I'm having lots of fun customising and twaking it to fit my needs.

When will the Yo Yo Marketplace version be updated with the new features and fixes that you have implemented?
Hi, @Patriarch !
Thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying the engine!

About the versions, whenever I update on itch.io, I update on the YoYo Games Marketplace. I am developing the new version yet, I am adding and correcting several things. I'm managing to make the skills system, the only real problem is that I don't know how to make sprites, so I will have to improvise in relation to the sprites lol.

Because before I make a boss, it's important for the player to be able to do different things, I think it's more fun.

Regards.

Last edited:
P

Patriarch

I agree. To be honest, I'm more interested in bug fixes, new player interactions, and camera enhancements than a boss example.

Hey there mate!
Just bought this project and was looking through some coding...
Since this is some kind of 'tutorial' project, maybe you should consider adding more comments explaining stuff
Also, I don't know if it's intended, but I died a couple times to the last frame of the explosion effect that is a bit hard to see...
And you forgot setting up a reverse wall at the last two mobs of the first room, so when you get there, they already have fallen to their deaths lol

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Hello, @VictorSapateiro !

Thank you for purchasing. About what you said, I’ve corrected all of this, I’ll send you the release notes for the package not yet released so that you can be anxious 😉:

>>> v1.1 (Unreleased) <<< (more things will come)

- [CHANGED] The player now jumps with X pressed
- [CHANGED] HUD modified and new sprites
- [CHANGED] Lives are now health, and lives is now displayed by numbers
- [ADDED] Player skills system [normal, bomber, shooter and shuriken]
- [ADDED] Camera area focus
- [ADDED] Player invunerability system
- [FIXED] Enemies now die with a slug shell
- [FIXED] Reverse blocks in the last enemies of level 1
- [FIXED] Vertical Platform bottom collision with player no longer stops
- [FIXED] Enemies now die correcly if fall off the world
- [FIXED] Shell rotation angle (now uses pi instead of 4)
- [FIXED] Some optimizations
- [FIXED] Camera script with duplicated id
- [FIXED] Enemies only die with the shell if it's moving
- [FIXED] Bomb explosion collision
- [FIXED] Directional Platform no longer shows the last circle
- [FIXED] Code more commented

Things to add at: (It may be that some of these don't come out in this update yet)

- Laser gun with pressure plate
- Blocks that can be pushed
- Elevator
- Boss

Until then, update 1.1 will not be released yet. Thanks for patience 🙂
At the moment, I'm focused on implementing the character's skills. I also improved a lot in the way I commented the code.

Regards.

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
[DEVLOG]

The weapon system is already working, now I need to implement it in the project.
The sprite exchange system already works too as you can see (sound effects already works too):

(Testing)

The system supports two types of functionality:
180: The gun angle rotates only up to 180 degrees (horizontal, up and diagonal up)
360: The gun angle rotates up to 360 degrees
It is possible to change the speed of the bullet, number of shots and variation of distance.
(this system is designed to work with 8 directions, but can be easily modified if you don't design using a sprite for each direction)

It is possible to decide whether the horizontal direction (180 - 0) is reset if you do not press UP or Down as you can see in the gif.
The most annoying part is making the sprites now lol

The next skill I'm going to add now is Shurikens, they work similarly to boomerangs, but they take a while to come back. I'm thinking about the possibility of this skill pulling things (enemies? Items?) 🤔

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
I would suggest:
Make the boomerang pull items and the shuriken go through enemies (so it can hit 2 enemies or more)
It is interesting, but the system works as follows: Each skill has its individual sprites, so if I create a skill, I need to create 10 more sprites for the player, for example, the Bomber, the player carries a backpack with bombs in back, the Shuriken, the player carries the shuriken in his hand. So if I make another skill I will have to create more sprites of the player with the boomerang in hand, so I prefer that whoever is buying, just modify it easily as you wish.

In short: For each skill, the player can change clothes or whatever he wants to do.

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
[DEVLOG] v1.1

GUNS !!!
The skill that makes the player shoot is now fully functional. The sprites still need to be designed (with a gun in the hand), but the system already points to the correct ones:

The bullets and effects are very fast in the GIF with few FPS, so it makes it a bit difficult to visualize, sorry.
There is still no collision between the bullet and enemies, I will put a resistance for each one of them, and they will blink when taking damage.
Many things have already been fixed and many will come around, stay tuned! 😉

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
[DEVLOG] v1.1

SHURIKENS!!!

Shurikens are part of the player's Skill System and can be easily modified, as you can see, the shuriken when it is thrown, leaves a white trail as a visual effect and on the back carries the item to the player or any object that has thrown the shuriken.

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Any news on 1.1? I update this page everytime lol
Yes, it's basically almost done, I just need to draw some two skill sprites, but the system itself is already fully functional, as I'm bad at drawing, it may take a while, but here's a spoiler:

As you can see in the video, I made a Debug window to show which instances are visible because I also focused on optimizing the project. There are a lot of things fixed and added, so stay tuned!
The only thing that cannot be deactivated out of the view is the reverse object and the solid, as it can happen that when the enemy is reactivated if is activated first and therefore can get stuck in the other object. But that makes no noticeable difference.

I also want to include an Android .apk demo on the Itch.io page.
By the way, I don't have a certain date for when to launch, as there may be some more bugs by then.

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games

VERSION 1.1 IS NOW AVAILABLE!
(Itch.io and YYG Marketplace)

It is with great pleasure that I come to announce the version 1.1 of Foxey Platform Engine! Check out the demo to get up close:

Compiled YYC .EXE and .APK Demo available here:

>> Release Notes:
[ADDED] Player powerful Skills system (normal, bomber, shooter and shuriken)
[ADDED] 8 directions input (180 and 360 angles)
[ADDED] Water can now be customized with any sprite
[ADDED] Player invunerability system
[ADDED] Player can now walk underwater if is on ground
[ADDED] Espiral transition effect
[ADDED] Camera area focus
[ADDED] Music Player: fade out effect
[ADDED] Enemies can now walk on the slope
[ADDED] The slug can rotate on the slope using raycasting
[ADDED] The slug now will only attack if looking at the player
[ADDED] The slug now can only take damage ahead
[ADDED] Damage object
[ADDED] GFX custom sprite trail script
[ADDED] GFX shader flash effect

[CHANGED] The player now jumps with X pressed
[CHANGED] Lives are now health, and lives is now displayed by numbers
[CHANGED] HUD modified and new sprites
[CHANGED] Better dialog box sprite
[CHANGED] More neat brand logo and redesigned loading bar in the first room

[FIXED] Camera script with duplicated id
[FIXED] Next level transition
[FIXED] Enemies now die with a slug shell
[FIXED] Enemies now die correcly if fall off the world
[FIXED] Enemies only die with the shell if it's moving
[FIXED] Slug now only attacks if the player is in front and not on top
[FIXED] Shell rotation angle (now uses pi instead of 4)
[FIXED] Reverse blocks in the last enemies of level 1
[FIXED] Vertical Platform bottom collision with player no longer stops
[FIXED] Pause effects was not in the SFX audio group
[FIXED] Bomb explosion frame collision
[FIXED] Directional Platform no longer shows the last circle
[FIXED] Directional Platforms: Pausing the game many times while switching to fullscreen causes different rotations
[FIXED] Directional Platforms: Now each one can be different in the same room
[FIXED] Block collisions (player and enemies)
[FIXED] Player can now only use Skills if there is no wall nearby
[FIXED] Player now flips while jumping
[FIXED] Water splash script
[FIXED] Variables names and general code consistency
[FIXED] Many optimizations
[FIXED] Small bug fixes
[FIXED] Code more commented and well written (very clean, easy to understand)

[NOTE] Android optimized
[NOTE] Water shader have a little problem on Android platform with some devices

Last edited:
N

Nuco.Ampuero

Hi, first at all let me say that this is a awesome 2D engine.
I have a question, is the engine compatible with gamepad controllers? Is necessary change or put new code for that?

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Hi, first at all let me say that this is a awesome 2D engine.
I have a question, is the engine compatible with gamepad controllers? Is necessary change or put new code for that?
Hello, @Nuco.Ampuero !
Thanks. This is something to be added (I have this in mind to do), however, it is pre-configured for this and you can easily add this functionality, and the touchscreen for Mobile too. See:

Cheers!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

Version 1.1.1 Early Access is available on Itch.io until the stable version is not released, it may be that this version contains added things that have not yet been completed, check release notes.

The asset that is in the Yoyo Games Marketplace only contains stable versions.

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games

VERSION 1.2 IS NOW AVAILABLE!
(Itch.io and YYG Marketplace)

It is with great pleasure that I come to announce the version 1.2 of Foxey Platform Engine! Check out the demo to get up close:

Compiled YYC .EXE and .APK Demo available on Itch.io.

>> Release Notes:
[ADDED] Player multi jump (single, double, triple... or infinity)
[ADDED] Player now can control jump height
[ADDED] New better optimized room transition system
[ADDED] Pushing Box object with terrain raycasting collision
[ADDED] Directional platform can now be controlled remotely using the original block
[ADDED] Water wave splash out
[ADDED] Crash reporter to help developer find bugs (you can disable this)
[ADDED] Debugger object with better view
[ADDED] Outside view script
[ADDED] Outside room script
[ADDED] Sound effect: Player wall jump
[ADDED] Sound effect: Wall bump
[ADDED] Sound effect: Rocky Boss damage hit

[FIXED] Player slide state no more stuck in the ground
[FIXED] Player wall jump sound sometimes don't play
[FIXED] Player wall slide
[FIXED] All objects will not stuck on the solid corners
[FIXED] Camera focus was not working due to 2.3 update
[FIXED] Camera view issues (stretched view)
[FIXED] Bug where it was not possible to create more than 2 rooms
[FIXED] Slug raycasting collision
[FIXED] Slug ray casting loop
[FIXED] Slug now rotates smoothly
[FIXED] Slug can now fall from platform normally
[FIXED] Slug horizontal solid collision
[FIXED] Now the bullet only collides with the normal solid object
[FIXED] Dialog box sometimes can crash the game
[FIXED] Optimized Slug shell
[FIXED] Optimized camera
[FIXED] Some memory leaks

[CHANGED] Removed the legacy room transition system
[CHANGED] Wall jump, swim and normal jump now have different sounds and attributes
[CHANGED] Bullets will be destroyed even if the enemy is invunerable
[CHANGED] Better debug view
[CHANGED] Removed camera zoom due to be unused and causing issues
[CHANGED] Debugging system moved to an independent object

[KNOWN ISSUE] "While" statement can crash the game under specific conditions (a little rare)

⚠ I'm doing EAD from college and I will have less time to work on new updates, but whenever I can I will be working on the project 🙂

Last edited:
Hey man, it's always a nice surprise checking this page and seeing an update!
I've been stuck between work and specialization studies, so have not had the time to check out the latestet updates, but will do so as soon as my days off arrives!
Anyway, keep up the awesome work mate, this is shaping up to be the best and most complete introduction to gamemaker platform games

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Hey man, it's always a nice surprise checking this page and seeing an update!
I've been stuck between work and specialization studies, so have not had the time to check out the latestet updates, but will do so as soon as my days off arrives!
Anyway, keep up the awesome work mate, this is shaping up to be the best and most complete introduction to gamemaker platform games
Thank you very much for the words! When you have free time feel free to explore the new features, I am happy to know that you are enjoying it, I wish you the best of luck!
I am also having a lot of college work and other occupations, but I try to do everything at my pace. 😅

PunkyRoo

BRAVO!! Well done! I love when people take the time to make complete engines. I tend to buy most of them just to encourage the effort. And I will do the same with yours! :)

How about adding a "Dash"? A sudden fast movement for the player?

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
How about adding a "Dash"? A sudden fast movement for the player?
It's a future feature, it's already on my to-do list. ;) Right now I'm doing a new project, I can't give spoiler it yet, but I guarantee it will be very useful for everyone. :) (Is an utility software)

I only wish someone would do as thorough an engine for overhead / top-down games!
This is even a good idea for a new project. Who knows?

BRAVO!! Well done! I love when people take the time to make complete engines. I tend to buy most of them just to encourage the effort. And I will do the same with yours! :)
Thank you!

Last edited:

PunkyRoo

So I actually downloaded this project and errors abound and prevents me from using this. I am on the most recent version of GMS. It feels like a script was left out of the project. I contacted the creator..

of Draw Event

Variable obj_game_init.AG_Music(100155, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_obj_game_init_Draw_64 (line 16) - pgr_value = (audio_group_load_progress(AG_Music)/100+audio_group_load_progress(AG_SFX)/100)/2; //music + sfx progress /2
gml_Object_obj_game_init_Draw_64 (line 16)

PunkyRoo

DISREGARD ABOVE.

I reinstalled GMS2 and reimported the Foxey Platformer Engine and it worked as expected.

EXCELLENT WORK!!! I will gladly support you as you develop and expand this platform

Last edited:

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
So I actually downloaded this project and errors abound and prevents me from using this. I am on the most recent version of GMS. It feels like a script was left out of the project. I contacted the creator..

of Draw Event

Variable obj_game_init.AG_Music(100155, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_obj_game_init_Draw_64 (line 16) - pgr_value = (audio_group_load_progress(AG_Music)/100+audio_group_load_progress(AG_SFX)/100)/2; //music + sfx progress /2
gml_Object_obj_game_init_Draw_64 (line 16)
Oh, that was a problem with GMS 2 while importing the project, it didn't import Audio Groups as expected, but this could be solved simply by creating the audio group manually and adding the sound effects and songs back.
Good thing you solved it! :)

I've just gotten time to start using this asset again, and was glad to see all of the new improvements!

But, if I may suggest a fix. Usually how people handle Game Objects Ex. (o_game, obj_game_controller, etc.) is that they create the object just 1 time at the start of the game in the Initialize and set the Game Object to persistent, so they don't have to add it to every single room. The Camera Object will still need to be added to each room though. But I see that the way you are doing it is, you're adding the "obj_game_controller" object to every room and not making it persistent.

The problem I'm having is, I'm trying to change it to where the "obj_game_controller" is created once, and is persistent, but, I've been having some errors.

Like:
  • The Signs will give a "variable not set before reading it" error
  • Sometimes while I'm throwing Bombs, the game just freezes and I have to stop the run process

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
I've just gotten time to start using this asset again, and was glad to see all of the new improvements!

But, if I may suggest a fix. Usually how people handle Game Objects Ex. (o_game, obj_game_controller, etc.) is that they create the object just 1 time at the start of the game in the Initialize and set the Game Object to persistent, so they don't have to add it to every single room. The Camera Object will still need to be added to each room though. But I see that the way you are doing it is, you're adding the "obj_game_controller" object to every room and not making it persistent.

The problem I'm having is, I'm trying to change it to where the "obj_game_controller" is created once, and is persistent, but, I've been having some errors.

Like:
  • The Signs will give a "variable not set before reading it" error
  • Sometimes while I'm throwing Bombs, the game just freezes and I have to stop the run process
Because the obj_game_controller cannot be persistent, reasons: Reset some necessary variables at each level and the Music Player. In addition to that it always loads some important things that must always be done at the beginning of the level.
The problem with the obj_sign is that it uses the obj_game_controller ds_list, so I put a warning in the "Readme": The obj_game_controller must be the first object to be created in the room.
GMS 2 has a bug with the instance order, which is as follows: Even if you change the creation order of the instances in the room, this does not work, so you should try to delete the layer from the obj_sign's and create another one, then add them when the obj_game_controller already exists in the room.
You can simply duplicate the engine's level 2, it is already configured, you only have to delete the tiles and the few objects you have, it is something to be corrected in a next update, but unfortunately I am limited to some Game Maker Studio 2 problems/bugs itself.

(fixed now).

Hey, you don't need to create the camera at every level, obj_game_controller already does that, basically it is the only object that needs to be placed in the room.

I will also add support for joypads/gamepads. (added now)

The Signs will give a "variable not set before reading it" error
On what occasion does this occur? What variable does it show in the error? (I fixed it now).

Sometimes while I'm throwing Bombs, the game just freezes and I have to stop the run process
This is an infinite while loop problem... It's been a while since I've tried a solution to fix this. :bash:
(SOLVED! everything will be released in the next update! 😁 )

Thanks!

Last edited: