30 fps vs 60 fps

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Yotzer, May 19, 2018.

1. Rayek

Rayek Member

I believe the new version is drawn in vectors and animated in Toonboom Harmony. The old cartoons were of course hand-drawn and animated, frame by frame.

Back on topic: a higher FPS may be uncomfortable to look at as well: recall the Hobbit's 48fps format? Many moviegoers couldn't get used to it due to their brains being conditioned to seeing 24fps on large screens all their lives, and the amount of natural blurring which sort-of masks that low framerate. People said it looked "fake" and "too sharp", as if they were looking at a theater set. I think I read about similar sentiments when the first colour films were made.

When I started to watch the Hobbit at 48fps for the first time, the thing that struck me most was how smooth the backgrounds panned. That sold me on the format, because I absolutely hate the jarred and blurred panning in movies. I love 48fps, but it seems it fell out of favour almost immediately due to the complaints of viewers while watching the Hobbit. If it were up to me all films would be recorded at 60fps.

2. Rayek

Rayek Member

Might have been the case when Flash was king of the broadcast animation hill years and years ago - but Adobe ruined Flash, and in the West at least Toonboom rules for the most part. I haven't heard anyone referring to any broadcast animation as "Flash animation" for quite some time (and I live in Vancouver!).

3. RangerX

RangerX Member

That is going to be a tuff nut to crack. Its been like 80 years that "movies = 24 fps" is printed in the minds of people. They associate this "choppiness" to "high level, non-cheap cinema". When you get smoother like 30fps on some hand cams or TV cams like film a news bulletin, its more smooth but people associate it with "cheap daily flix or tv show" and is nothing notable or near the prestige of a movie.
    So even if movies would look better, be more smooth, have a clearer and more natural image at 60fps, people would be rebutted by the change itself for a long while.

4. Guest User

Guest User Guest

lol i think i'd like to see some research testing for those like myself and finding out what percentage of the population can handle a fast-paced action movie at 60fps in the cinema before allowing it as standard. cus there's a lot less going for the cinema to prevent....accidents....than there is for games.

huh...then again, you're always going to have 'sleepers' not aware they're one of the ~10% (probably) waltzing into the theater regardless of how much studying you do. or plain ol' stubborn folk who won't wait for movies to come on SD channels. :p

5. RangerX

RangerX Member

No problems for smoother movies I think.
    Gaming industry is even bigger nowadays and if it was causing noticeable health issues, trust me, we'd know already. There would be a very small amount of people having motion sickness, just like with videogames + a whole damn lot of people not liking the smoothness because they are used to 24 fps.

6. poinl

poinl Member

I use 30 fps because my computer lags when i bump it to 60.

7. ethian

ethian Member

I like both. 30 fps from Undertale now inspires me. I hated it for a while because i enjoyed with Cuphead and its YouTube videos that are in 60 fps, that is a better alternative for some...
    Talking about this, 60 fps makes things perform an awesome movement, while 30 fps just a movement that nobody cares...
    I was inspired to make a game in 24 fps, and i tested it, but there was issues, so, i now prefer more 30 fps than 24...
    PD: from some footage in 60 fps, movements are annoying... personally...

8. 11clock

11clock Member

Are you running GameMaker on a toaster?