• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

3 years worth of refunds on any game released??

D

DJT

I've just found out that for the last three years, any GAMEMAKER game released can have its IN APP purchases refunded by Google, with no way at all of telling within the code that this has happened.

YOYO have confirmed that it's an outstanding bug, but is "Not a huge issue....just a nuisance"

I'm trying to understand how all having all in-app purchases refunded and still recognised as being SOLD with gamemaker is not a huge issue. This bugfix needs to be expedited to a patch release.

https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/requests/152315?page=1

Any thoughts anyone??

D

DJT

If refunds aren't handled by the API it seems strange that YOYO have agreed and recognised that it is a BUG to be fixed by them, in GameMaker.
As a recognised bug in their product that they can and will fix so that it works correctly, and as specified (and documented) , I'm still struggling to figure out how some bright spark at YOYO determined that refunding an in-app product (easily done in several ways) wasn't particularly important. I believe it's extremely important to preserve the integrity of in-app payments, otherwise our hard work is literally - for nothing.

I am not impressed it's taken 3 years and I still have no release date for this fix. I am even less impressed that this information is not widely known and documented.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I would say that this is probably not considered a big issue because IAP refunds aren't actually handled by the Google API... https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2479637?hl=en It's between you and the customer and it's not a common occurrence...

(note this is my OWN opinion of the issue, and does not reflect the YYG official stance, which I don't know ;) )
For someone who works at a company recently victimized by refund fraud, you certainly take a rather cavalier approach to this issue.

While the article does say that the API itself does not handle refunds, it also says that purchases less than 48 hours old can have refunds processed via Google Play's website. And according to this article one link away, refunds done this way can take effect in as little as 15 minutes.

The integrity of the IAP mechanism is a legitimate concern, and given the number of times this same question has been asked, paying customers deserve a more proper response than this.

If the provisions are already there, document it and make it your official response. Otherwise, the development team should add support for it.

Genetix

I end up with 1-2 refunds a day. They don't make up a ton of the over all IAP's for my games but it is a bit concerning and will interesting to see how this is addressed going forward.

Still57

For someone who works at a company recently victimized by refund fraud, you certainly take a rather cavalier approach to this issue.

While the article does say that the API itself does not handle refunds, it also says that purchases less than 48 hours old can have refunds processed via Google Play's website. And according to this article one link away, refunds done this way can take effect in as little as 15 minutes.

The integrity of the IAP mechanism is a legitimate concern, and given the number of times this same question has been asked, paying customers deserve a more proper response than this.

If the provisions are already there, document it and make it your official response. Otherwise, the development team should add support for it.
Well said