• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

2D Simulate aircraft acceleration/decelleration

P

plaguebreath

Hello everyone, I try to write a small demo project with an airplane (sidescroll) fly with control of acceleration (it's a biplane) so basically player control propulsion with right key till value of 10 let's say and stop it to 0 with key left. I not use 2d engine nor gravity because I am just try to avoid them and keep it simple but somehow acceptable. By now i using motion_add for increase speed and add a negative value based on speed for simulate the air slowdown caused by propulsion =0 but I am not satisfied by it because on the step event it accelerate way too fast. What in your opinion is the best fix for make it work properly? Thank you all

rIKmAN

Play with the values you are using.

If the acceleration is too fast, reduce the amount you add each step when right key is held until it feels better.
If it moves too fast when it hits top speed, reduce the maximum allowed top speed until it feels right.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Last edited:

Mick

I think motion_add is the way to go, if it accelerates way too fast, the can't you just decrease the value in motion_add? The value does not need to be an integer, it can be a decimal value like 0.12.

P

plaguebreath

Thank you for your feedback, yeah I adding it not as integer is more like 0.004 but I can't get it feel much correct specially on the take off/landing sequence. So basically i have an accvalue that I increase (or get negative if 0 acceleration) and add it with motion_add on every step, I will try to tune it better based more on speed then.

Last edited by a moderator: