• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Mac OSX 2D HD like Crashlands?

S

starblinky

The only posts I was able to find here about 2D HD graphics were saying to just use Unity. But that was in 2016 and how did Crashlands pull this off?

I haven't bought Crashlands but the youtube videos look like pretty decent non pixel-art graphics in 1080p 60FPS

This is what I'd like to achieve. And go higher resolution for porting to iOS.

When I import PNG graphics exported from Adobe Animate, they always have this horrible pixelated look. I tried importing exponentially higher resolution sprites and adjusting the camera.. This also doesn't fix the problem! I've also tried Interpolate colours between pixel on/off. Scaling the sprites also doesn't work.

Can anyone help at all? Point me to some information/tutorials, anything? I bought GameMaker 2 a week ago and now I feel really stupid.

Attachments

S

starblinky

Just saw a game on here someone posted called Toast Factory! Tried on iPhone X and didnt notice any artifacts or pixelation except for when he scaled some images up. Seems like this is possible to do, I just have no idea how...

Z

zendraw

small images that are scaled will be pixelated, big images that are not scaled, wont be pixelated. if you dont scale your images and use them the way they appear hd, then its fine.

S

starblinky

small images that are scaled will be pixelated, big images that are not scaled, wont be pixelated. if you dont scale your images and use them the way they appear hd, then its fine.

Is it the proper way to export/build with higher res sprites and just resize the window according to the players screen resolution?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

starblinky

This is more than possible and I have no idea why you mention Unity as the only option:

I could go on-and-on-and-on...

Yep I know it's possible in gamemaker. I was just saying what was said in other posts.
I think a better example of what I want to do is in Cook, Serve, Delicious! 2!!

EDIT: I'm messing with surfaces now. If I set the surface to say x4 the viewports (for my entire game), would this cause any major performance issues? Because this seems to fix my issue.

It seems like this is drawing my stage at x4 resolution then scaling back down to fit the window. Is this correct?

Last edited by a moderator: