2D Destructible Terrain Starter Kit

Joe Ellis

I've been making a destructible terrain engine and am planning on releasing on the marketplace soon for around $5.

Features:
  • Per pixel destructible world
  • Per pixel precise collision
  • Random\procedural terrain generation with multiple options for smoothness, altitude, grass length, slope steepness
  • All generated worlds can be saved, with tiny file sizes as they only save the seed and option settings
  • Create enormous worlds, only limited by the computer's RAM
  • Create masks from sprites used to blow up the world
  • Add sprites to the world, which can also be destroyed
  • Supports alpha\anti-aliased smooth edges

Pics:

E

ElChingles

This is very nice. I make something similar some years ago, with a worm style shooting system.

Joe Ellis

I should be releasing this soon, pretty much everything is done :D

Also, I'd like to point out that the whole thing uses per pixel collision which is dynamic for all the holes you blow up and it doesn't actually use gamemaker's collision system and is incredibly fast. To be honest, this is something I'm really proud of accomplishing, cus I've been trying to do it for about a year and then suddenly worked it out

Last edited:
T

TinyGamesLab

I once did something similar (game maker was not even in version 8). It used the surface application to mask out the destroyed areas and updated the background Sprite. It was definitely slow.... glad to hear you've implemented something that works fast and stable.

Joe Ellis

After two years, I should definitely upload this. I ended up not finishing it due to a couple of tiny problems that I wasn't happy with, mainly collision with characters. But the whole destructible terrain part works perfectly, and the player uses single point collision, which works for some games, so should dig this up, or re do it, cus it's really useful

Amon

After two years, I should definitely upload this. I ended up not finishing it due to a couple of tiny problems that I wasn't happy with, mainly collision with characters. But the whole destructible terrain part works perfectly, and the player uses single point collision, which works for some games, so should dig this up, or re do it, cus it's really useful
POSH VOICE **** I'm waiting!