• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

2 player testing

W

Wild_West

I'm taking a little break from my platformer now that it's almost done and starting up the REAL reason I wanted to learn game maker, my board game.
But I got into it and started wondering "How do I test 2 player stuff if I'm always by myself?"

Does anyone know how I could set that up in practice? Like a simple turn based control scheme?

I know that's not a lot to go on but what I basically want to be able to do is simulate a 2 player game but with me acting as the second person just for now.
Not so much an AI since I don't have anything too heavily coded yet.

Beyond locking movement for either side of the board's pieces and using a global for player turn which enables the white or black side to move it's pieces, how else can I differentiate from player1 to player2 in terms of game piece control?

Like as an example my game is my take on chess but the players have special piece types assigned to their sides, abilities that can be used via tokens called symbols, weapons, a power level ect..

I hope I'm getting this across clearly enough

W

whale_cancer

Beyond locking movement for either side of the board's pieces and using a global for player turn which enables the white or black side to move it's pieces, how else can I differentiate from player1 to player2 in terms of game piece control?
How else are you needing to distinguish them? Aside from a 'team' variable for each piece, I am not sure what else you are in need of?

W

Wild_West

How else are you needing to distinguish them? Aside from a 'team' variable for each piece, I am not sure what else you are in need of?
Okay well I didn't want to go into all the rules but at it's core the game is just
1 vs 1
players take turns moving the pieces they control
they can move 2 pieces per turn
equip weapons , activate symbols, and attack.

Other than that there's the individual piece types each player can choose.

So I'm just looking for how to start setting that up so I can kinda act as my own player 2 and test everything before I start trying to learn how to set it up so people can play against each other online for real.

C

Chim

I also don't get it, the game is turnbased so you could hardcode player 1 and 2 in the game localy.
Or you could propably build a LAN Mode in the Game, for this i got a tutorial.

I build a tabletop game by myself and do it localy first.

W

Wild_West

I also don't get it, the game is turnbased so you could hardcode player 1 and 2 in the game localy.
Or you could propably build a LAN Mode in the Game, for this i got a tutorial.

I build a tabletop game by myself and do it localy first.
Okay well this is new ground for me after all that side scroller coding so I'd appreciate the tutorial