• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Steam 2.3 will not let me convert my games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockman

Thank you.

I see it all and click to download the previous version, the install runs warns a version already exists gives the option to delete it but from there nothing works. I still have the new version.

Are you sure those previous version links are for the STEAM version as well?

Shockman

I noticed there was a more fitting sub forum titled specifically for this release so I asked there. It was promptly closed with a snide remark. There will be hundreds of posts until I get back my program for my otherwise useless game files or my money back. By the way the issue was not resolved here or there.

STEAM has refused to refund this. I'm not going to just throw that money away. I want the previous version that works with my game builds or my money back.

Shockman

Do you have any idea why a patch would make the program refuse to load, convert, import, or in any way make my 307 hours of work run? That's what I need to know. Simply what could make my game builds fail to convert. I know I'm not the only one, and I know I'm not the only one pissed about it. The first neg. review on STEAM was from a guy that already said there that he could not get help or even an answer from YOYO. Same here. They have to acknowledge this. I have never stolen a thing in my life and I am not going to allow it to happen to me if there is anything I can do at any cost. I don't want my money back, I want my games I spent all that time on to be finished. Going back to any version that would run these files would be fine with me.

Amon

Well, there are a lot of changes under the hood going from 2.2 to 2.3. 307 hours of work is a lot and I'm assuming your project is not converting due to its complexity (heavy usage of arrays) etc. The way arrays work changed in 2.3 as well as how functions/scripts are implemented.

Maybe, and this is just me saying it, that your project is not convertible to the new 2.3 version with its new GML features and improvements. The automatic conversion tries but it's not a miracle worker. If you can provide any errors/warnings that get output to the console maybe we can try and help. All we have at the moment is you saying it just won't work but there is also a 'why' in there that we need to know about in order to offer assistance.

So, how do you want to proceed?

S

Sybok

STEAM has refused to refund this. I'm not going to just throw that money away. I want the previous version that works with my game builds or my money back.
Why not just download the appropriate non-steam version that you want in the meantime. You do know you get non-Stream licenses too, don't you?

You can even install both concurrently.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
First things first - please note that this is in no way the official YoYo Games support! This is a community of GM users that volunteer to help each other out. You can contact the official support via the helpdesk. If you're experiencing issues with conversion, please file a ticket with the support and attach your project - this way, the developers can take a look at the issue and hopefully fix it in the next release. Nobody's stealing from you, the update merely came out of beta a couple of weeks ago and may not yet be fully stable... I'm not aware of arrays not working per se, so there's no reason for that concern. ;)

Until then, I suggest to download the previous version you've used from the release notes, install it and log into the IDE with your YoYo Account. If you don't have one yet, create an account and link your Steam account to it. This will grant you access to your Steam licenses in the stand-alone version.

Shockman

Thanks for the reply. I thought this was more official support. Anyway My STEAM account is public and my account here says my STEAM account here is linked. This site still wants me to pay to download it again from here, unless I am missing a link to another version. This site let me download it but when I run it it's just like all the other hoops I jumped throughout this entire day... nothing. It says I already have it and won't continue to load. The older versions in that release notes reacts the same... nothing. I think those that run this site believes I do not own a copy of this program, though the program it'self does. I'm about to give up. The STEAM version would ask me for a password if I went a few hours without using it every single time before this patch, or scab as it were, but at least it worked. The point is that NOTHING is working, not the program or any suggested solutions. I will take this to the helpdesk but I'm not expecting any joy from there either. I wont let this go though.

I can't even get a report out to the helpdesk. It gives a no sign. It seems to want me to upload the game (not going to happen) and a transaction ID whatever that is. Steam never mentioned that. There seems to be nothing about this program that works unless maybe if I started from scratch, nor this site, or any solutions, or acknowledgement. As far as stealing from me, that a matter of opinion. Steam certainly did, though I would think the lions share of my money is here at YoYo.

Does anyone know what I can put in the Transaction ID box to get through to the staff here?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
This site let me download it but when I run it it's just like all the other hoops I jumped throughout this entire day... nothing. It says I already have it and won't continue to load.
Precisely what says you already have "it", and what is "it"? Generally, when you start up the IDE, you'll be asked for an email and password. You should enter your YoYo Account email and password there. Is this window not showing up for you? If so, what do you see when you open the IDE?

I can't even get a report out to the helpdesk. It gives a no sign. It seems to want me to upload the game (not going to happen) and a transaction ID whatever that is. Steam never mentioned that.
If I was to file this ticket, I'd select "Report a problem with GMS2", click "I still need to report a bug" at the bottom and then fill out the form. This doesn't ask for a transaction ID. You may be asked for one when you select "Purchasing and Refunds", but this is not applicable for your case as you didn't purchase anything from the official site (since you purchased it on Steam).

Uploading your game's source code is optional, not required.

Shockman

I just tried to recover my license key from this site hoping it's this transaction ID thing. The site admits that I have a legit version of GMS2 from steam but it is also saying I don't have a license when I try to get that license key.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Have you linked the accounts yet? https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216757298-Using-Your-YoYo-Account-With-Steam

Also, if you want them to fix any bugs with the update process so you can use 2.3 in the future, you will need to file a seperate bug report (once your account issues are sorted out) and provide them with a download link to your project so they can test it and see what's going wrong. Your project will not be shared with anyone outside YoYo Games, and it is essential to be able to reproduce the issue and fix it. You can choose not to file a bug about the import issue, and you can choose not to supply a project, but that means your bug may never be fixed.

It seems to want me to upload the game (not going to happen)
FIX IT! But I'm not going to let you see what it is...

On a more serious note, this deep-boned terror that amateur game developers have about people (and even stranger, the company producing the software they are using) stealing from them is super stale. No-one wants your idea. No-one wants to go take the time to go through and work out what does what in a 307 hour project. Everyone is busy making their own thing. If someone happens to ask for a project file when they are trying to help you, they are not trying to steal anything. They are trying to help you. I've been on these forums for literally decades and have never once seen anything like that happen, which means if it ever did happen, it's an extremely unlikely occurrence. May as well worry about falling asteroids bonking you on the head and killing you.

rIKmAN

I just tried to recover my license key from this site hoping it's this transaction ID thing. The site admits that I have a legit version of GMS2 from steam but it is also saying I don't have a license when I try to get that license key.
There are no licence keys for GMS2, so you will never recieve one - licences are linked your YYG account.
If you login to your YYG account you can check which licences are attached to your account by clicking GameMaker > Products in the menu on the left hand side after logging in.

I'm not sure if you can downgrade the Steam version as I don't use it, but you can uninstall it from Steam and then install v2.2.5 standalone from the links I and others have given you to the Release Notes page - then login using your YYG account details (which are not the same as your forum login used here).

You could also take a look at the Fresh Installation article to make sure that all remnants of previous installs are removed before installing v2.2.5 from the exe you can download from the Release Notes.

dino1489

I too have issues converting my game file. Any clue how to open the code from old projects and start moving over the stuff piece by piece?

Shockman

I have no reason to believe that YoYo will give me the program if I delete it from Steam. I have tried to get it from here and YoYo wants me to pay again for it. I got the Steam account linked here, but it seems to mean nothing.License Key.jpg

This says GameMaker license key no YoYo license key.

This 2.3 should not be released in a program that renders the games that may be a bit more complex but not using any third party extensions, libs. or anything else as a replacement but instead a separate beta (if YoYo would count a program with a known bug that renders the entire program useless as a beta).

Anyway clicking on that recovery button, whatever the license is actually for gets me what everything else does on this site... nothing. Instead of an email there is a message that I have no license.

The other clickable link is to contact the help desk. I'll post a pic of what I get then, They want a Transaction ID before they will take my report. I don't know what that is but I know I don't have one.

I already said that I can not get the 2.2.5 because they refuse to provide anything but a damned link that won't work saying I already have GMS2

It is obvious it is going to take legal action just to get them to admit that I exist and have paid them to use a working program.

I see no other option at

The only possible help I can get in this forum is an explanation of this "Transaction ID that is keeping my attempt to contact support.

I don't want to take food from YoYos' mouth. I don't want to cause problems or b*tch about anything. But it's a string of data that they seem determined I NOT have. It's not like it would bankrupt them to give what is paid for.

rIKmAN

The only possible help I can get in this forum is an explanation of this "Transaction ID that is keeping my attempt to contact support.

I don't want to take food from YoYos' mouth. I don't want to cause problems or b*tch about anything. But it's a string of data that they seem determined I NOT have. It's not like it would bankrupt them to give what is paid for.
Why are you still trying to recover a licence key when I already said that they don't exists for GMS2 and so you will never get one from that link.
Licences are attached to your YYG account - either through purchasing directly or purchasing on Steam and linking your Steam account.

Is a valid licence listed as being owned on that account when you look on the YYG website?
It will say either "Owned" or "From Steam" next to each licence that is owned from each store.

You can get the v2.2.5 installer from the Release Notes page - the liink to which has been provided to you multiple times by multiple people.
If a valid licence is attached to your account then you can install it, login with your account details and off you go.

Shockman

Is there a mod at this forum that has the ear of the staff? Could someone report this thread? (I would if I could report on my own posts) I really need to get in touch with the staff here. Maybe they could give me the transaction Id I need to contact them myself. I own a license for GMS2. I have to have the staff here admit that I own the right to use the software in writing before I delete the program. I have no indication that if I did that that I would be able to get a new (or old) copy without paying again. Other than this 2.3 version I already have that is useless. I bought it from Steam on sale for $79 (probably $79.99) they want $99. I think its bull💩💩💩💩, but I will pay the extra $20 if that is what it will take. I have much more time than money invested in this program.

rlKmAN,
Just to see if we are on the same page, could you give a link to where YoYo will say on a web page that I have a license key of ANY kind. I will then show you a pic that shows the page telling me I have none along with another pic of a page that shows my Steam account is linked.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin

Go there, report your issues. They'll sort it out. You do not need to buy anything again if you have it on Steam as you must have it on your YoYo Account - it's only one licence regardless of where you bought it. If it's not showing up on your licence page or you can't log in then something is wrong. If something is wrong then there is nothing we can do to help you as this is a community forum and you you will have to speak to the support team at YoYo Games to resolve the issue.

PS: I've done nothing but merge posts of yours in this topic, and for every one you have been sent an alert requesting you refrain from double posting. Since you have ignored these alerts I have to let you know this way: Please do NOT double post. It is very much against the forum rules. Use the EDIT button to add information to your last post and use the multi-quote tool if you want to reply to multiple people. You may only bump a topic every 48 hours.

obscene

Not to hijack this post but what is even the purpose of a Steam version? I never understood why people would bother to download a Steam version of a piece of software, much less waste time making and maintaining an entirely different version for it. I've never seen anything but trouble related to the Steam version of GM. Seems like Yoyo would send them all new keys and be done with it.

rIKmAN

rlKmAN,
Just to see if we are on the same page, could you give a link to where YoYo will say on a web page that I have a license key of ANY kind. I will then show you a pic that shows the page telling me I have none along with another pic of a page that shows my Steam account is linked.
1) Login to your YYG account here: https://accounts.yoyogames.com/login
2) Once logged in, click GAMEMAKER on the menu on the left, then click Products
3) You will now be shown a list of all the licences that you own on the account for both 1.4 and 2.x

You may have to click between GameMaker Studio 2 and GameMaker Studio 1.4 headers at the top to switch between the licences for each version if you own licences for both products - if so, make sure you are looking at the GMS2 list.

It will show the active licences for that account and list the licence version, the purchase date, the expiry date and the licence status (OWNED or STEAM).

If no licence is listed here then you are either using the wrong account, you have not linked your Steam account properly or something has gone wrong and as Nocturne said above you will need to contact YYG Support and explain the issue so they can help you sort it out.

Deleting the software will not remove it forever, you are simply uninstalling the program.
When you uninstall something on Steam it doesn't mean you don't own it any more - you can simply choose to re-install it again from your Library.

Have you tried downloading v2.2.5 from the links you have been given in this thread, installing it, logging in and seeing if it works?

Shockman

I have tried everything. Except for deleting the Steam version altogether, something I would be very happy to do if I had any assurance YoYo would let me download it from here. I now understand what this forum is about. But I can not contact the help desk because I don't know what to put in the Transaction ID field to be worthy of them letting me do so.

Steam says I bought it. Part of this site admits I bought it. I got the Steam account linked but can find no details of what that helps. The rest of the site believes I don't have a license, transaction Id, or whatever I need to not have to pay them again.

I'll tell you again that I can not make contact with the helpdesk because they what whatever a Transaction ID is. Judging by the help I have gotten on this community forum no one else knows what it is. So tell me again to contact the helpdesk to find out how I can contact the helpdesk. Good grief.

I knew it. I just knew it. I deleted GMS2 from Steam. I then try to run again the 2.25 I downloaded from YoYo and the install refused to load it in saying I already had it. YoYo site said all I had to do was click on uninstall in Steam prompt to have it gone.
I then of course when to windows to uninstall it as windows says it's gone. Seems all that YoYos advice did was to delete the uninstall file.
Does anyone know of a third party cleaner for GMS2 when those type of files exist there is a reason for their existence.
I have no GMS2 at this point. Steam says I own it, YoYo says I don't.
The last thing I can think of before reporting YoYo to every fraud reporting site on the internet is to re-install in steam the useless pre-beta (please confirm 2.3 is a pre-beta mistakenly put up) then try to use windows outside of Steam to uninstall it. Steam will probably claim I have it because I did not use uninstall using their so called uninstall. YoYo will probably say I don't have it and have no license to get it, and I will have nothing while YoYo has my money. And in the end no contact with the helpdesk without that stupid Transaction Id. Maybe still just one chance, that I can put anything in that field.

After reinstall on Steam the windows uninstall sent me directly to Steam to uninstall. YoYo does not recognize it as uninstalled so I can not get the current nor prior versions to install whether GMS2 is installed or not.

Also I googled Transaction ID which is on the form needed to complete to ask YoYo for a refund and found absolutely nothing about it. I did get something through to the helpdesk by using a different section instead of refund that did not have the Transaction Id field and have a TICKET! pending and a pre-posted warning that it could take time for them to even look at it.

It is looking more and more like I have been ripped off.

My ticket number is 175589 I hope that does not represent the number of people ahead of me but I don't doubt it.

I'll tell you again that I can not make contact with the helpdesk because they what whatever a Transaction ID is. Judging by the help I have gotten on this community forum no one else knows what it is. So tell me again to contact the helpdesk to find out how I can contact the helpdesk. Good grief.
You have been told how to contact the helpdesk without needing a transaction id (as that is related to the Purchase and Refunds option):
If I was to file this ticket, I'd select "Report a problem with GMS2", click "I still need to report a bug" at the bottom and then fill out the form. This doesn't ask for a transaction ID. You may be asked for one when you select "Purchasing and Refunds", but this is not applicable for your case as you didn't purchase anything from the official site (since you purchased it on Steam).
If you do this, you should be all good.

Shockman

So I have Steam telling me they won't refund, and a moderator her telling me YoYo will not refund it either

Where in my post did I quote anything about Steam? I know you bought the program, and that you are trying to contact YoYo Games helpdesk so you can get your problem sorted - so don't go throwing abuse at me for trying to help you out just because you won't follow the process for how to contact YYG because you keep fixating on a Transaction Id that you don't need to provide them.
Where else do you think I could have bought it other than YoYo or Steam? That might be a useful link. They might have a truly standalone program, as in portable of version 2.25 cracked.

S

Sybok

The last thing I can think of before reporting YoYo to every fraud reporting site on the internet...
Well, you could do that. But the million other users who aren’t having any other issues will just shrug it of as some dude having a hissy fit.

Or you could calm down and we might be more inclined to tell you how to do a full uninstall.

Shockman

Not everyone get killed. Does that mean there are no murders? Or that murder is fine if you are not the one murdered? That is no argument. I know there is a lot of others that are having the same problem with this stupid program.

"Or you could calm down and we might be more inclined to tell you how to do a full uninstall."

You don't think I'm stupid enough to believe yo do you?
I have scanned this forum and there are many posters with the same problem and there are no responses to those.
I don't associate with liars so stay out of my life.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
On a more serious note, this deep-boned terror that amateur game developers have about people (and even stranger, the company producing the software they are using) stealing from them is super stale. No-one wants your idea. No-one wants to go take the time to go through and work out what does what in a 307 hour project. Everyone is busy making their own thing. If someone happens to ask for a project file when they are trying to help you, they are not trying to steal anything. They are trying to help you. I've been on these forums for literally decades and have never once seen anything like that happen, which means if it ever did happen, it's an extremely unlikely occurrence. May as well worry about falling asteroids bonking you on the head and killing you.
The few times project stealing has been happening - that I've seen - were all related to the GM8 decompiler, so none of them were consensual. It makes sense from the perpetrator's perspective, too... asking the one person that can DMCA you thus making them aware of your existence is going to leave you open for future issues, so it's better to go below the radar if you want to steal someone's work. (Of course, usually people won't even bother stealing your work before you actually make something worth stealing...)

Shockman

I got GameMaker Studio fully uninstalled and downloaded 2.25 from release notes. It asked for nothing and installed 2.25. Just as I feared it is a trial version. It will of course not load my projects. I no longer own Gamemaker Studio in any version according to both Steam (though I could still get the non working full version from there), and YoYo games.

I just tried running it again (the second time in just a few minutes and it has expired.

I checked and YoYo says I own the trial version. It also says my Steam account is linked. WTF

YoYo has stolen my money and in a way my last year of work.

Let me post this instead of waiting for approval just to delete it.

You would not be happy if this happened to you and neither would I be,

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, so, I've spoken with the YYG support team and they have assured me that you have correctly linked your Steam account and can indeed download and install the stand alone version of the product. So, here's what you should do...

1) Open the stand alone version of GameMaker.
2) LOG OUT
3) Do a fresh install of GameMaker, following these instructions: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...perform-a-fresh-install-of-GameMaker-Studio-2
4) When you get to the part about installing GameMaker again, DOWNLOAD FROM THE FOLLOWING LINK, not from the YYG Downloads page: https://gms.yoyogames.com/GameMakerStudio-Installer-2.2.5.481.exe
4) LOG IN - this should refresh your licence and link it correctly with the one you have purchased from Steam.

You should now be on the 2.2.5 version of GameMaker. You will be prompted to update with a message saying there is a new version available, but you can choose to ignore it.

PS: If anyone is going to reply to this topic, please ensure that your replies are helpful and not simply a response to some of the users comments. We ALL get frustrated sometimes... ;)

Shockman

OK I have 2.25 that will never update. I will try to finish my project and then I will let it update

I want to thank those that did try to help me. I also want to apologize to those I offended.

Shockman

That's where I'm at now. Thank you.

I want to thank all those that helped. It was the correct advice and instruction but was not working I don't know why, maybe because I had an account way back around GM7 that was different. While Nocturne was sorting my problem I was in my registry deleting anything that had Game Maker Studio, and YoYo games as well as any folder that had those names. Always scary for me. It allowed me to run the 2.25 from the YoYo site. It turned out to be the trial version. I had to reinstall the Steam version to reestablish the account link but after that the trial version changed to full.

I also want to apologize to the same people I just thanked as well. Not one of you deserved it. I went crazy. I want my GMS2. I hope you can understand.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
I also want to apologize to the same people I just thanked as well. Not one of you deserved it. I went crazy. I want my GMS2. I hope you can understand.
Thank you very much for this. I'm sure we've all been there and felt the same frustration at some point, so no harm done and nobody around here will judge you harshly for it. I'm going to close this topic now, as I don't think that any further comment is necessary, and I'm happy that the issue finally got resolved for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.