• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

2.3 Strange Syntax Errors

Aviox

Does anyone know about weird syntax errors like this?

Code:
System Event: Create at line 8, 14 : Exception while parsing System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: startIndex cannot be larger than length of string.

Parameter name: startIndex

at System.String.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)

at YoYoStudio.TextEditor.GMLASTCreator.(YYGMLAstNode )

at YoYoStudio.TextEditor.GMLASTCreator.(YYGMLAstNode )

at YoYoStudio.TextEditor.GMLASTCreator.()
System is the name of an object.

It isn't breaking anything, but I can't get rid of it and it keeps grabbing focus when in other tabs in the bottom pane.

There's nothing of interest at that line and location. If I change code around in that event, the location of this error doesn't change. Meaning it can literally point to an empty line.
I've tried renaming the object something more standard (e.g. "o_System"), and the error re-appears with the new object name.

I'm assuming it's a bug in the IDE that staff may want to look at.
It appears both in the release of v2.3.0.529 and in the beta v23.1.1.175

Proof it's flagging on nothing (even after restarting the IDE):
1598530980237.png

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Had this problem too, commenting #region and #endregion fixed it for me, you can un-comment them after, if its just the brackets idk how to help with that, 2.3 is very buggy

D

Deleted member 13992

the debugger/error warning constantly flagged the wrong (and also empty) lines for me, even pre 2.3.