OFFICIAL 2.3.7 Stable Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to this update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

As ever, PLEASE check the Required SDKs FAQ before/during updating and ensure your antivirus/OS permissions are correct after you do the new install - User Permissions and Internet Access Required by GMS2 - before you submit any bug reports or post issues here.

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (i.e.: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues to the Helpdesk, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem and always attach the "ui.log" file found via the "Open Log in ..." Help menu command inside GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target or running on a device) then please always include the compiler log we ask for (it's genuinely very important!) and provide details of the machine being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

Current Release - IDE v2.3.7.606 Runtime v2.3.7.476 (Dec 9, 2021)

This one is a collection of the stability and performance fixes which have been in the Beta releases for the last week or so, plus the fixes for some smaller-and-often-reported issues in the first release - for example, a bunch of broken hotkeys. Note that there are a lot more fixes in the Betas already, but the emphasis here was on safely resolving top issues.

Original Release - IDE v2.3.7.603 Runtime v2.3.7.474 (Nov 25, 2021)

2.3.7 brings the ability to sign in to GMS2 using an Opera single sign-on account if you wish, adds support for a new "nullish" operator in your code, and introduces three more filter layer types your can use in your rooms as well as enabling the Inspector for use in your rooms. This release also sees several performance increases (such as native Mac M1 architecture support for GMS2 itself) and some load time boosts for opening your projects and also for games starting at the end of builds.

This release also raises Spine support to require v4.0. Please be aware this updated Spine runtime will require you to re-export your Spine images using v4.0 before they will work again in GMS2!

The matching runtime version updates a number of the SDKs GMS2 requires during builds (so please see our setup guides if you have issues building projects) and fixes an issue with Android API 31+ with Android 12 devices.

There are of course also a number of other changes and several important bug fixes, so of course do also read the rest of the release notes carefully.

Note that this stable release does not include the Ubuntu IDE beta, and anyone interested in that should see the "How to get Betas" FAQ on the Helpdesk as per normal.

Last edited:

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
  • True and False are now actual booleans (so therefore typeof(true) will return "boolean" and is_bool(true) will return 1, etc.)
False and True are now Bools?! DOG AND CATS LIVING TOGETHER MASS HISTARIA!!!

WangleLine

When aligning multiple objects in the room editor with the "distribute vertically" button, trying to undo that action doesn't work correctly.

I assume the same thing will happen using the other alignment buttons

caelangm

Instant crash on startup on Mac OS X 10.14.6 :(
Not sure if i messed up the install or if its a bug.

"Trying to recursively lock an os_unfair_lock"
vvv full crash details below vvv

Process: GameMaker Studio 2 [31771]
Path: /Applications/GameMaker Studio 2.app/Contents/MacOS/GameMaker Studio 2
Identifier: com.yoyogames.gms2
Version: 2.3.7.603 (603)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: GameMaker Studio 2 [31771]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2021-11-25 11:38:38.021 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G3020)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 100D7FAB-58CC-837F-49BB-B78B2E748B11

Sleep/Wake UUID: 8ECF7B95-DB10-403D-B09B-E68B5155AC30

Time Awake Since Boot: 78000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 690 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 tid_307 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Illegal instruction: 4
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4
Terminating Process: exc handler [31771]

Application Specific Information:
BUG IN CLIENT OF LIBPLATFORM: Trying to recursively lock an os_unfair_lock

Ricardo

Sad to see the IDE high CPU/GPU reports weren't addressed in time for the stable release. The usability is terrible on my Macbook Pro 16" (M1).
All good on Windows, though.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Sad to see the IDE high CPU/GPU reports weren't addressed in time for the stable release. The usability is terrible on my Macbook Pro 16" (M1).
All good on Windows, though.
We have a few stability fixes being packaged up as a Beta release very soon, but they were a little too risky right now for the stable and required us to gather feedback anyway. So hopefully we can resolve that one soon on the Betas.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Instant crash on startup on Mac OS X 10.14.6 :(
Not sure if i messed up the install or if its a bug.

"Trying to recursively lock an os_unfair_lock"
Will see if we can reproduce and fix, but Mojave is below our recommended specification and you are going to be unable to get the correct version of Xcode to do macOS/iOS anyway, so you probably want to look into updating your macOS version if you can. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcode)

caelangm

Will see if we can reproduce and fix, but Mojave is below our recommended specification and you are going to be unable to get the correct version of Xcode to do macOS/iOS anyway, so you probably want to look into updating your macOS version if you can. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcode)
Thank you for looking into it! Y'all are the best. I suppose it is time to go ahead and update my os though..

webbsite

I am getting this error when trying to export on HTML5 on this build.
Has anything changed in how we need to include the JS on index.html?
Along with a huge slowdown on Mac M1 Pro compared to the last build release.

Screenshot 2021-11-25 at 18.36.57.png

Last edited:

DarK_SaCoR

Yy Open Workspace Overview (Ctrl + tab) doesn't works correctly again (2.3.4 and 2.3.5 has simliars problems). You can't press ctrl+shift+tab to go previous and if you press ctrl+tab fast, it goes be crazy.

Mehdi

@Dan
Sorry but yo yo has got a bad habit of crashing the same thing which has been just corrected .
Once more Ctrl+tab is malfunctioning and I have to wait one month at least for the next update, Really annoying. :confused:

I'm running into the same thing, also OS 10.14.6, full crash dump at https://pastebin.com/cxrAVxEj

I can't upgrade past Mojave without breaking other apps. I don't care about MacOS/iOS export.

EDIT: My Mac is literally unable to install the latest OS version, please fix this or give me a way to roll back to 2.3.6.

Last edited:

gnysek

While I love to see new features and they are great, being "Mr Grumbler" I feel very very little (about 1%) disappointed, finding that from to time one new thing which was already bugged in beta from start (and properly reported) is still left in stable release in same broken form, instead of being postponed to next version if can't be fixed on time (especially after there are one-month cycles now, and especially since it's not working it would still be "stable" not earlier than in next version...). I won't be pointing for third time what it is, already wrote that in beta topic and reported to helpdesk, but as most cases in which I could use it are causing game crash, that lefts me little uncomfortable. That's my personal opinion though, so, whatever, you can ignore this paragraph and skip to next.

Another great update, I love that filters are extended (now I'm waiting for editor to add our own ones, and for feature to apply them on one layer only), I love that GML feature with skipping arguments to use their default value (I'm actually using it in dozens of places and get used to it really quickly, and I'm for sure going to stick with it), and I'm happy that with another inspector features we're getting closer to new workflow. I can also see some IDE performance improvements, and while it's mentioned in this topic that in next betas there will be another update on using less GPU/CPU I also can't wait to test next ones (as my laptop is 5 years old and it gets little to hot after using GMS for 3-4 hours :p).

Carsten

The performance in the IDE is at 5 fps on my Macbook Pro 14" M1 and rendering it pretty much useless. It was working fine on the previous version - is there a way to roll back to that version?

Carsten

PatchFix

I am getting this error when trying to export on HTML5 on this build.
Has anything changed in how we need to include the JS on index.html?
Along with a huge slowdown on Mac M1 Pro compared to the last build release.

View attachment 44469
I was getting this error. Along with the GameMaker_Init failing, it was showing an error in my game's JS event number 918, which turned out to be a user event 0 left over from a debug object I was working with.

HTML5 didn't seem to turn user-events before compiling like it did with scripts before. Maybe this is part of the workaround?

D

Deleted User

This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to this update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

As ever, PLEASE check the Required SDKs FAQ before/during updating and ensure your antivirus/OS permissions are correct after you do the new install - User Permissions and Internet Access Required by GMS2 - before you submit any bug reports or post issues here.

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (i.e.: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues to the Helpdesk, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem and always attach the "ui.log" file found via the "Open Log in ..." Help menu command inside GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target or running on a device) then please always include the compiler log we ask for (it's genuinely very important!) and provide details of the machine being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

Current Release - IDE v2.3.7.603 Runtime v2.3.7.474 (Nov 25, 2021)

2.3.7 brings the ability to sign in to GMS2 using an Opera single sign-on account if you wish, adds support for a new "nullish" operator in your code, and introduces three more filter layer types your can use in your rooms as well as enabling the Inspector for use in your rooms. This release also sees several performance increases (such as native Mac M1 architecture support for GMS2 itself) and some load time boosts for opening your projects and also for games starting at the end of builds.

This release also raises Spine support to require v4.0. Please be aware this updated Spine runtime will require you to re-export your Spine images using v4.0 before they will work again in GMS2!

The matching runtime version updates a number of the SDKs GMS2 requires during builds (so please see our setup guides if you have issues building projects) and fixes an issue with Android API 31+ with Android 12 devices.

There are of course also a number of other changes and several important bug fixes, so of course do also read the rest of the release notes carefully.

Note that this stable release does not include the Ubuntu IDE beta, and anyone interested in that should see the "How to get Betas" FAQ on the Helpdesk as per normal.

The English manual is uploading now, so will be live later today - the other languages will be coming asap. (I will remove this line once they're all live.)
thanks for release, works fine here :) (windows version)

can you update https://www.yoyogames.com/en/roadmap

Dorsal

I am having problems with json_stringify. It seems to randomly choose structs is does not like anymore and only tells me "null" when it returns a value. I can place the function in different parts of the code with the same struct and get different results. I rolled back to the old version and it works just fine. I don't get much feedback or errors and what could be causing this.

breakmt

Fix CTRL+TAB, please. It should work like it was in 2.3.3 - when you press it opens a window where previous window automatically selected! Right now it selects Workspace 1 and I need to press TAB again and again!

ps: looks like I have to stay on 2.3.3 again

rIKmAN

The snippet hotkeys no longer work again.
Try resetting to the default keybindings in Preferences.
That fixed some broken keyboard shortcuts for people having issues in previous versions so might be worth a shot here as well.

kingyo

@rIKmAN
Preferences> Redefine Keys > [Clear] button to set it to default and set it again did not help.
I have customized the txt in the snippet file, does that affect it?

rIKmAN

@kingyo
I'm not sure whether custom snippets affect it, I just remember resetting to default keybindings fixed broken shortcuts for others in a previous version so thought it would be worth you trying too as it only takes a second.

bongface

The performance in the IDE is at 5 fps on my Macbook Pro 14" M1 and rendering it pretty much useless. It was working fine on the previous version - is there a way to roll back to that version?

Carsten
Same here, Macbook Pro 14" M1. Not usable, Windows works fine. Aside from that a great update I am incredibly grateful for the nullish operator, makes a lot of things easier.

peardox

Bye bye to all those "New sign-in to your Opera account" emails (28 so far) and GXC doesn't open a page and ask you to close it again all the time

Good stuff

D

Deleted User

And when will the online documentation be updated? There is nothing about "nullish", "??".
looks like manual is still for 2.3.6 on rss feed.

GML:
    <link>http://gms.yoyogames.com/update-manual.rss</link>
    <description>The GMS2 Manual Feed</description>

<title>Version 2.3.6</title>
      <pubDate>Wed, 03 Nov 2021 17:16:46 Z</pubDate>

D

Deleted User

I'm getting:
XML:
<title>Version 2.3.7</title>
<pubDate>Thu, 25 Nov 2021 16:31:29 Z</pubDate>
So seems that there are some issues with CDN server refreshing (or they refreshed it after seeing your post).
yeah, i get 2.3.7 now too :D
so it is now updated đź‘Ť

1637919134044.png

vdweller

Two notes on this version:

1. The issue "Precise collisions with scaled sprites don't work properly" still hasn't been resolved.
  2. The issue "Incrementing image_index each step with specific subimage amount "locks" image_index" still hasn't been resolved.
Proper collision checking, as well as properly incrementing the image index of a sprite are core parts of a 2D game engine. However, there has been a number of updates without touching these issues. Please consider prioritizing fixing them!

Stra

There is a ton of stuff in the release notes, does anyone know which are the differences in the release notes JUST between the last beta and the latest stable?

gnysek

which are the differences in the release notes JUST between the last beta and the latest stable?
I would say NONE, as stable build was done on Wednesday mid-day, while beta was on Tuesday. As (probably) nobody reported anything fatal, they might be equally same version (except of much better release notes).

Please help me roll back to 2.3.6!

I filed a bug report about the brokenness under MacOS 10.14.6 and was informed "we are unable to offer any insight into when/if the bug you have reported will be resolved."

I understand these things take time but I am unable to work on my project. I don't really care if it gets fixed if I can go back to the older version. Please help me YoYo staff!

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Please help me roll back to 2.3.6!

I filed a bug report about the brokenness under MacOS 10.14.6 and was informed "we are unable to offer any insight into when/if the bug you have reported will be resolved."

I understand these things take time but I am unable to work on my project. I don't really care if it gets fixed if I can go back to the older version. Please help me YoYo staff!
Just go to the release notes (https://gms.yoyogames.com/ReleaseNotes.html) , scroll to the bottom in Older Versions open that and the Header with the Version Number in it is a link to the download for that version...

Russell

Eugene7A

I am not getting the authentication code to my email.

I use GMS on both Mac (coding) and Win (compiling), and now with this new GMS version when I am trying to log in from Windows, I am not getting the authentication code to my email. I just recalled that I had the same problem in the last version too and the solution was to log out from Mac first (to have only 1 active logged in session on 1 device at a time). I think this going to work this time to, I haven't tried yet. It would be nice to notify people that the authentication code won't be sent if you are already logged in on another machine.

[UPD] Logged out on Mac, closed it, and then was able to get the authentication code on Windows. So, everything is fine. Just in case someone else has this problem.

p.s. Overall, I am glad that you guys are looking into Mac OS, it's problems/issues, and especially the new M1 and new OS versions.

I open through steam on mac, and it crashes instantly with no messages or anything. all i get is "yea bro it crashed last time, would you like to open the same windows?" and neither answer does anything. it crashes anyway. i restarted computer and still don't work help

Yizzard

So I can't open a specific room in my game, I can open all other rooms but whenever I try to open specifically this one room (rm_UnderWhere) GMS2 freezes then after a few seconds crashes... This is a major problem as I have tried it about 5 times at this point and it has happened every time. It's really weird that it works for all other rooms but specifically for this one room it crashes...

dT_

Looks like json_encode broken on new update, big ds_map can't be parsed, game just freezes on this process, but quickly works on 2.3.6. Ticket #191453.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.