OFFICIAL 2.3.7 Betas Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnysek

I've tried to reproduce it in any way to help, but found no bugs. However, I have one idea about that variable name, which could happen here:
If (global.myVar==true)
Remember that GML is case-sensitive, so having global.myVar and global.myvar mean there are two different variables, and that way changing one of them to true doesn't mean other will be changed. Double check that you've not used wrong form.

As game maker function names are using snake_case, I'm generally sticking to naming my variables in same way too, and I'm never using capital letters (so camelCase).

Also, there's no difference if debugger shows 1 or true. GML will still handle all variables <= 0.5 as false, and all > 0.5 as true in comparisons.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Beta 8 (the final one for 2.3.7) is rolling out now - IDE 432 / Runtime 410

Actually a fair bit new/changed in this one, as we have added a few more room filter types and also made a change to better support Android API 31+, so check out the release notes and please do give this one a good going-over.

If you have any stability or performance issues running this one on Mac or Ubuntu IDEs (especially when doing things such as File > Open or something else to cause an external window to be spawned on top of GMS2), please do let us know asap and send in a bug report with some system info and your ui.log.

Release Notes
Runtime Release Notes

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Whoops - I have just realised that due to a miscommunication regarding commit messages, the "greyscale" filter mentioned in the notes is not new - that's the internal name for 2.3.6's "Desaturate" filter, which has had quality/visual improvements in 2.3.7, but is not new.

I will fix the release notes ahead of the stable, obviously.

gnysek

Performance of blur filter in IDE is indeed much much better now (it still causes some performance drop, but it's not jumping and tearing anymore).

Only issue I still have with this last beta is that new nullish operator still crashes when combined with map/list accessors.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Game Maker is closing when I'm trying to open one of the rooms that I'm working. Isn't happens 100% of times, but is still annoying
File a bug ticket and attach your project as a .yyz file plus your ui.log file after getting the crash, please, then we can investigate.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Should window_mouse_set() and display_mouse_set() work on Android and HTML5?

I've reported it as bug for now, as manual doesn't excludes any platform (not sure if it's possible for HTML5 at all, as while there's https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Pointer_Lock_API it doesn't allow to change cursor position and rather relies on movementX/Y variables).
No, they shouldn't - we have just added a mention into the manual that both are for Windows/Mac/Ubuntu only, so you will see that when the updated manual is released.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
@YellowAfterlife wrote an extension which does this on html5 since dan confirmed "I dont wanna"
More specifically, you cannot have a _mouse_set - the browser only exposes a "lock and read deltas" type of API.

As for Android, I'm always eager to hear what people expect to happen when the cursor position is tied to the user's finger

S

Sam (Deleted User)

More specifically, you cannot have a _mouse_set - the browser only exposes a "lock and read deltas" type of API.

As for Android, I'm always eager to hear what people expect to happen when the cursor position is tied to the user's finger
I was actually thinking about that when i posted, in a similar way, they have deprecated things for not being cross-platform only to reimplement the same basic idea behind them differently -- which they could still do if they cared enough. that's all i was driving at - similar to what they could do to support get_open_filename on HTML5 which as we disussed in the past would also need a slight api adjustment as it would either need to be async or "fake" being synchronous

gnysek

I've got a hover effect on each element in grid, and wanted to disable it (when no fingers are touching screen) in easy way by just moving mouse to 0,0 until any finger touches screen again, but of course I've solved it with just one additional variable and few lines of code, and effect is same :)

ScottD

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Tiny release of 2.3.7 beta 8 (IDE 23.1.1.434 / Runtime 23.1.1.412) this aims to address an IDE crash on StackPanel_UpdateLayout() (according to logs, when copy/pasting or saving via Ctrl+S).
If you have been subject to these crashes in 2.3.7 or the betas please do update and let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.