OFFICIAL 2.3.6 Beta Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logoman

First, let me start by saying I'm super happy to see the GM IDE for Linux. I really appreciate this, and I know I'm not alone!

But I'm quite astonished to see no official declaration about this. I guess you felt it was too soon to speak about this. However, it's been several months since the beta is out.

So, I was wondering, do you have any idea when this bad boy will be ready for a stable release?

I'm really eager to use it, but the note saying "this IDE is not suitable for a production environment at this time" is too scary for me!

Anyway, keep up the great work!

gnysek

But I'm quite astonished to see no official declaration about this
There was official note about this on 20th August this year: https://www.yoyogames.com/en/blog/gamemaker-update-free-version .

Generally, using beta is safe if you keeps your project under GIT source control, as even if something breaks (even fatally), there's always backup of code and images there (and sometimes by just looking on file diff, it's easy to find what broke and fix it manually).

gnysek

Links to tutorials are definitely not ads. GXC could be the one considered as ads, but there's no monetization on it currently, so all those links are rather for informational purposes than ads.

Last edited:

Mehdi

gnysek

So, for 23.1.1.417:

- sequences masks merging in both IDE and runner if they are on separate masks
- inspector still have animations even if IDE animations are disabled in preferences
- randomly ignoring sequence groups visibility settings
- showing * on not modified tabs of code after saving and then changing focus to another window

and from those I didn't reported, and I'm not sure if they should work in latest beta or not, as runtime release notes doesn't mention that functionality:
❓ fx functions (like layer_get_fx) seems to not work yet, but they are available to use (and even returns some data, like empty structs).

Disort filter seems to work OK, and I've noticed much better confirmation popup when going to start page (and title is now "close project"). I think that same option ("close project") could be added now to "File" menu.

Edit: while layer_get_fx("filterlay") seems to return empty struct, fx_get_parameter_names(layer_get_fx("filterlay")) returned [ "g_DistortScale","g_DistortAmount","g_DistortOffset","g_DistortTexture" ], however while this struct can be used as argument, there's no way to preview it's value by show_debug_message, variable_struct_get_names, or in Debug Mode.

Last edited:

gnysek

OK, I've reported layer_get_fx issue, as this empty struct seems to work with other fx functions, so it have magical invisible data :D

+ new report: old runtimes since 2.3.3+ (especially beta) aren't detected by IDE and aren't deleted from disk even if "delete old runtimes" option is checked in preferences. I'm having 31 GB of old of runtimes currently... (this is regression bug from 2017).
+ new report: when having more than 500 things on layers in room editor, it takes few second to open room

I've also noticed that bugs.yoyogames.com is not publicity available any longer.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
So, for 23.1.1.417:

❌ sequences masks merging in both IDE and runner if they are on separate masks (reported 4 months ago)
❌ inspector still have animations even if IDE animations are disabled in preferences (4mo)
❌ randomly ignoring sequence groups visibility settings (1mo)
❌ showing * on not modified tabs of code after saving and then changing focus to another window (1mo)

and from those I didn't reported, and I'm not sure if they should work in latest beta or not, as runtime release notes doesn't mention that functionality:
❓ fx functions (like layer_get_fx) seems to not work yet, but they are available to use (and even returns some data, like empty structs).

Disort filter seems to work OK, and I've noticed much better confirmation popup when going to start page (and title is now "close project"). I think that same option ("close project") could be added now to "File" menu.

Edit: while layer_get_fx("filterlay") seems to return empty struct, fx_get_parameter_names(layer_get_fx("filterlay")) returned [ "g_DistortScale","g_DistortAmount","g_DistortOffset","g_DistortTexture" ], however while this struct can be used as argument, there's no way to preview it's value by show_debug_message, variable_struct_get_names, or in Debug Mode.
Well I think that we have the right to prioritise bugs as we see fit - we have deemed these issue to NOT be high priority but thanks for consistently belittling the team and our efforts... we appreciate your hard work with cut and paste keys.

Russell

Addendum: I have to apologise to @gnysek as my post above is unfair and I was not in a good mood when I wrote it, I dislike being told how long a bug has been left dangling, we prioritise all bugs as they come in - we constantly evaluate the bugs in the system.

The best way to get attention to a specific bug would be to PM me here and draw my attention to your ticket and the reasons why we should raise it in importance (most of these are lower priority because we have no pressing need for these and limited time / developers to work on it all).

Apologies to everyone - I am not really that grumpy in person.

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
@rwkay While I agree that you - as GameMaker developers - should be able to decide which bugs are the most pressing, that part:
but thanks for consistently belittling the team and our efforts... we appreciate your hard work with cut and paste keys.
was completely unnecessary.

I don't see gnysek's comment as belittling, maybe more of a reminder in the vein of "there are still these bugs around and they are annoying to me"? I don't work with sequences, personally, but if I worked with them a lot, I'd probably find the first three bugs mentioned really annoying. The asterisk thing I find personally inconvenient, and while it isn't workflow-breaking, it disrupts my train of thought sometimes.

Listing all these old bugs was still unnecessary in the sense that if you didn't report these issues as resolved already, one can hardly expect they'll work properly now. Still, I'm fairly certain the intent was to point out still existing issues rather than belittle the devs. Especially since from what I've seen of gnysek's posts, he praised or defended the dev team on multiple occasions, too - like here, here or here. Or even in the very post you quoted:
Likewise, the "hard work with cut and paste keys" part is belittling gnysek in turn. From what I can tell, he frequently tests new and existing features, reporting bugs when applicable (like the recent bug-not-bug? with the seemingly empty struct returned by layer_get_fx(...)). Clearly to test all of this - and to later discover that this confusingly "empty" struct actually has information that can be retrieved by other functions like fx_get_parameter_names - takes more effort than just copy-and-paste some old unresolved bugs.

While you might disagree with gnysek which issues need resolving first, please don't disregard the work he puts. As I see it, he's one of the more active contributes to beta testing, and as someone who prefers to stick with Stable releases, I appreciate that a lot.

gnysek

consistently belittling
I think it's not hard to just say "sorry, this have low priority for us" (and I would for sure stop repeating), rather than ignoring it, or saying that I'm "belittling" (did I said at least once that team is fixing wrong bugs, or is slow at it or something? No. Maybe you've mistaken me with someone?). I've recalled few of bugs that I'm waiting on to be solved cause they are in some way important for me, and it was for my own interest*, I didn't had any intention to say something wrong about team. However, at least today I'm just "belittling", not "bitching" like last time...

*for example, I wanted to use sequences to create video tutorials intro for youtube series that I'm planning, and share project with this intro as open-source so people can see possibilities of sequences, but... they aren't working as they supposed to, and that's why I'm putting pressure, not to discredit someone...

Last edited:

8BitWarrior

What might be a bit harsh (though I lean toward it not being intended) is listing timeframes in which reported bugs have not been completed. This could imply that the development team is lazy and not completing basic tasks within a timely manner.
Having had the chance to meet him some years back, I sincerely believe Russell is possibly the hardest working person on the team and closest to the code, so this kind of implication could sting a bit and rub the wrong way, even if unintended.

With that said, @gnysek, I do appreciate seeing you keep up with the current state of things. I like to keep an unofficial list in my head of things to work around in GameMaker, as I am very used to doing in 15+ years with the program! :D

Peace.

gnysek

This could imply
That's true, and I'm very sorry for this - my intention was rather to ensure that those bugs weren't lost somewhere among many others, or mistakenly marked as "solved" in YYG database (both things happens sometimes).
Since last time I've mentioned few issues (that I've repeated today) I was reprimanded that "if I want something to get fixed, I should report it instead of" em... "just writing on forums", while few of those issues were already reported few weeks before - that leaded to me misconception they're not visible for developers (as why I would be asked to report them?).
As 99% of bugs that I've reported in last few years is usually fixed in next stable (or in recent months even after few days when new beta comes out), and I've mentioned few times here on forums that I'm very happy that those bugs were fixed so fast, I again thought that those 3-4 must be somehow lost in bugs database (like assigned to someone who is not a dev, or to someone who left company). Also, one of those bugs is already mentioned in beta release notes (as: Sequence Editor/Room Editor: Clipping masks are now displayed correctly in the Sequence Editor and Room Editor), but I don't see any difference and it still occurs for me - that's why mentioned it!
Instead of getting "yeah, you already mentioned them, we're aware but they are low on our priority list" - which would 100% satisfy me, I'm again personally attacked for being "consistently belittling" and "copy-pasting" things... I have nothing against those task being low priority, but today is first time that I've finally got this info - and that's what I wanted from beginning - any feedback (as sometimes what I think is a bug, is not a bug, or there other plans to improve something and it will be completely rewritten, so my fix must wait) - I thought that those topics are for that kind feedback, and some direct talk between users and devs. I'm also open to get any feedback (here on forums, or by using direct messages), as while not being native English speaker, I might sometimes use wrong words for something, or describe it wrongly. Of course that's never my intention.

Russell, I am very sorry that you (or anyone at team) might felt touched by mentioning reporting dates of my issues in my post, I've removed them now from my post, and it was never my intention to say something wrong about team (especially as I was also a part of this team nearly decade ago and I know how hard people are working there).

Last edited:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

Well I think that we have the right to prioritise bugs as we see fit - we have deemed these issue to NOT be high priority but thanks for consistently belittling the team and our efforts... we appreciate your hard work with cut and paste keys.

Russell
I would like to see (some of) these complaining users dive into GameMaker's source code and see how worse they'd do at fixing these bugs, not just just learning how to fix them and how long that would take, but also how much more they would break things in the process of trying to fix things. Whether anything would actually get fixed, ever, in such a case, I have my doubts.

Trying to be realistic here.

D

Deleted User

I would like to see (some of) these complaining users dive into GameMaker's source code and see how worse they'd do at fixing these bugs, not just just learning how to fix them and how long that would take, but also how much more they would break things in the process of trying to fix things. Whether anything would actually get fixed, ever, in such a case, I have my doubts.

Trying to be realistic here.
if we are allowed to modify the source code of game maker, i can try :) but i dont think we are allowed to do that.
inspector.jpg

but judging by the current source code:
inspector is a work in progress (atleast the code looks like that),
and so is layer_get_fx.

not that anyone cares about my opinions, but:
i dont think gnysek is wrong to point out bugs, this is a topic for gms bugs after all.
but yoyo developers are humans too, anyone is allowed to have a bad day + rwkay has done excellent job with his team in developing game maker for us users, for real, we get fixes constantly now.

maybe we all should just forget and get back to developing games and testing the beta ;)

gnysek

I doubt there will be more beta versions for 2.3.6, as my squirrels :squirrel: already gathered list of release notes for stable version (but that doesn't mean it's final version yet). However, by looking to big amount of bug fixes for rendering IDE, collisions, or Opera GX runner, which are for sure awaited by those who only use stable version, and no fatal bug reports in this topic, it's rather sooner than later.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Ta-Da! The Stable has just gone out, so I will lock this thread now. As ever, a massive thank-you to anyone who commented here, filed a ticket, or gave feedback elsewhere.

For any new reports/discussions, please use https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/2-3-6-stable-release-thread.90550/

Regarding the Stable vs Beta 8, there are only a couple of fixes you don't have (plus the tidied-up release notes) - Ubuntu YYC cleans/builds could fail, as could trying to make a Pi package. It wasn't possible to turn off filter previews within the room editor in the Mac IDE (Windows IDE was fine).

Status
Not open for further replies.