OFFICIAL 2.3.6 Beta Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Filters and Effects feature is pretty cool. The only thing is that everything below it receives the effect. It would be nice if you could select which layers receives the effect, because if layer 1 needs to be below layer 2 for depth reasons, and layer 2 needs the effect, then both layer 1 and 2 would get the effect. Unless I am not seeing something.

On a different note but still on the layer subject, it would be cool if we had a layer that we could put all assets inside. An "All" layer.

gnysek

Undo system will now only function within the context of asset instead of being global.
While it sounds like small improvement, I always welcome every change for things that can be annoying in longer perspective. Same for key bindings - I really appreciate, that Team is improving existing features, to make them even better!

"Indie and Enterprise users will get a sneak peak" Meeeow! Migrate your license hint much! 😂 ok ok I keep meaning to do it sheesh!

Stra

@FlameRooster how did you manage to add those effect layers, please? No matter what I try, the Add effect layer is always greyed out for me. And if I add it via the right mouse button, then the Effect type field is always grayed out...

Ricoh5A22

I was looking forward to trying the New Filters and Effects feature, is perpetual license users allowed to use it? I logged off and logged in and the feature still seems to be disabled.

Last edited:

Zhanghua

I was looking forward to trying the New Filters and Effects feature, is perpetual license users allowed to use it? I logged off and logged in and the feature still seems to be disabled.
Should understand the "A Sneak Peek " while not use....

FX Object coming now....

1634351195944.png

Last edited:
I have the enterprise license but the button is grayed out if i click on another layer i can add it but no effects seems to be available. HMMMMMM
Before ask, i deleted the old beta made a clean install and logged out.

Ricardo

Indie and Enterprise users will get a sneak peek at the new Filters and Effects feature
I know I shouldn't, but I'm kinda angry at this. We people who spend time testing the betas almost provide a service to YoYo Games by helping the dev team to find bugs and polish the product.
Lock a feature behind the new licensing model (even if temporarily) feels... weird... 🤔

Posh Indie

That Guy
Beta release IDE v23.1.1.408 Runtime v23.1.1.388 is currently underway.

Indie and Enterprise users will get a sneak peek at the new Filters and Effects feature, allowing them to easily add graphical effects to layers in the room. As we are currently limiting this feature for targeted feedback we recommend logging out via the IDE and back in again to ensure your licence is properly updated.
So this is what we've come to. Thanks Opera.

Anuj Raghav

Screenshot 2021-10-17 010353.jpg

(filter/effect) is always disable , I have perpetual license for desktop, mobile and html

edit: ok so its for new license model only . I wonder how a new person buying new subscription license is more eligible for testing new beta feature as compared to people who purchased and worked with this software for years now.
first we were forced to move to gms2 from gm pro for no reason other then eye candy user interface . now this new trick . miss that Mark Overmars era.
opera guys who are not able to decide in so many years what course they want to go with their browser, are now calling the shots to make game maker "mainstream" , just like their "mainstream" browser . ill rather let my perpetual license become obsolete when gms3 comes but I am not going with this stupid subscription model. there are far better options available for no cost .

Last edited:

zargy

I'm not sure how it can be logically justified to limit the beta testing group of the newest features to the new subscription model, considering the most advanced group of GM users also likely share a high overlap with the ones who, A: have been using the software the longest/are the most familiar with it, and B: have a significant interest (commercial in nature for many of us) in the software actually working correctly. These are probably the people who will be your best asset in testing the software thoroughly. And as Ricardo says, they're also donating their time and effort by performing QA for you.

How many of those people have "taken the bait" and switched over to the subscription model? How many of those said switchers are also beta testers? Nowhere were we told that this would be one of the perks of switching to the sub model. This just comes off as trying to find a cheap incentive to get hangers on to switch over to subscriptions, and I'm not very happy about it.

D

Deleted member 16767

I always think of GMS2 as a charity to make games. I don't think that many buy it compared to some games that make "Thornblade 1" then "Thornblade 2" and so on. But if I, who have been here since 2017 would have to pay for a sub, I'd abandon it immediately. It's better to give others early access to some bugs that may corrupt your project (well we'd just zip it but whatever). But I'm only using it for making stuff for the desktop, so new things is great, but not really needed for me - but the gif_open update would be great for me, however, they can't please everyone on the same day.

That being said, I have no clue of how much GMS2 is selling so I am just theorycrafting with my text here.

jonjons

I think the paid version has some type of "delivery optimization service" its an "EULA" thing... Its the same has the windows 10 process running in the background "the one that i cant find the name right now", or other engines like Unity, etc...
It sends small reports to the Devs, to improve the application optimization, user experience..etc..

Miradur

The filter and layer effects is a nice new feature. But a water and a fire filter are clearly still missing.
Even if it doesn't help me, because I only use the free version (or is only the beta locked for this group?).

Anyway, I have elsewhere, here in the forum, standard shaders proposed, so that even beginners can use these great effects.

Is there still a chance for the collision layer(which I also suggested at that time)?
So a layer that has two check boxes, one for tiles and one for precise collisions. Tiles are self-explanatory and precise would have the advantage that no matter what I draw on this layer, it will be recognized as a collision. Fine by me, with a predefined color.
Then the tiresome topic, collision for beginners, would also be done.

Miradur

PS.: thx to DragoniteSpam for his beta tutorial with this new feature: Filter Effects & Filter Layers

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
Ow damn... Here we go again. So... only subscribed versions get the new features? But the permanent license don't? Somebody tell me I'm mistaken. They will fix this, right? o.Ô?

edit: my bad. it seems to be just a matter of people with subscriptions getting new features early. I can wait. =]

Last edited:
S

Sam (Deleted User)

The more we complain the more yoyo has to deal with it; I think we should be more thankful.

Posh Indie

That Guy
The more we complain the more yoyo has to deal with it; I think we should be more thankful.
Precisely. So if they stop gatekeeping feature access as a shady marketing ploy we would complain less and they would have to deal with it less. I effectively own a perpetual Indie License, yet I am excluded. In any case, I don't care anymore in light of what I read above; Sounds like the feature is worthless anyway since we can't use our own shaders.

Zhanghua

Precisely. So if they stop gatekeeping feature access as a shady marketing ploy we would complain less and they would have to deal with it less. I effectively own a perpetual Indie License, yet I am excluded. In any case, I don't care anymore in light of what I read above; Sounds like the feature is worthless anyway since we can't use our own shaders.
yes u can

layer_shader

gnysek

as an old and permanent licence holder of GM, I cant understand why a new monthly subscriber can access to what I am not allowed to
That's not true, as every permanent license users can get at least 12 months of Indie license on top of permanent one (so you're not loosing for what you already paid). I'm subscribed for Indie tier until 2025 or 2026 now and I've paid 0$ for it (however I've paid for "old" GMS2 licenses in past 4 years).
So this feature in beta isn't limited for Indie subscribers, it's limited for those who have paid license - and you're absolutely allowed to use it.

gnysek

OK, I've checked those "filter layers":

- they works (even in HTML5, which is good)
- if you put them inside folder in layers, they are still applied for everything below (from what I understand it's because folders are IDE-only, and not existing in game, and filters are probably applied to what's currently in "backbuffer" or whatever name it have)
- filters which allows color to choose, also allows alpha to change, but that does nothing - would be good if color picker have alpha slider disabled for them

Also, while there's yet no new docs, here's list of new function which I've taken out from runtime/fnames file, but for current release no other than layer_clear_fx() seems to work for me (probably because this is a sneak peak, not full feature release, also, I've checked it on Ubuntu runner, so they might work on Windows which I didn't have yet time to check):
GML:
// Effects functions
fx_create(filter_or_effect_name)
fx_get_name(filter_or_effect)
fx_get_parameter_names(filter_or_effect)
fx_get_parameter(filter_or_effect,parameter_name)
fx_get_parameters(filter_or_effect)
fx_set_parameter(filter_or_effect,parameter_name,val,...)
fx_set_parameters(filter_or_effect,parameter_struct)

layer_set_fx(layer_name_or_id,filter_or_effect)
layer_get_fx(layer_name_or_id)
layer_clear_fx(layer_name_or_id)
By looking how those filters file structure looks in runtime (shader + some binary .fxb file) I hope that YYG will allow us to convert own shaders into filters at some point, as it seems that fxb files define which uniform is what type (eg. that color, texture or value can be passed to shader). That would be nice, as shaders filters could be then shared on marketplace.

I'm also thinking that allowing filter to be applied only on some span of layers would be a nice feature, but that would probably mean some additional surfaces/buffers to be created in background which might be why it's not like this currently, as it would add too much in-engine workload in background which might be not understandable by less advanced users, and those more advanced ones are currently able to do it with current functionality.

My personal grade is 9/10.

Edit: I'm also happy that with "filters & layers" status update on roadmap, particle editor is back, and is even in pre-production status :)

Last edited:

Posh Indie

That Guy
That's not true, as every permanent license users can get at least 12 months of Indie license on top of permanent one (so you're not loosing for what you already paid). I'm subscribed for Indie tier until 2025 or 2026 now and I've paid 0$ for it (however I've paid for "old" GMS2 licenses in past 4 years).
So this feature in beta isn't limited for Indie subscribers, it's limited for those who have paid license - and you're absolutely allowed to use it.
I get that, but why should I need to go through changing over to a subscription to use it? Why is it even "early preview" locked at all?

To be clear, I am completely okay with the new subscription model for when the time comes. I also like that new things are being incorporated now that Playtech is gone. Opera just seems like all of their decisions are made by the newest intern in the anonymous tip jar. To each their own, I guess.

By looking how those filters file structure looks in runtime (shader + some binary .fxb file) I hope that YYG will allow us to convert own shaders into filters at some point, as it seems that fxb files define which uniform is what type (eg. that color, texture or value can be passed to shader). That would be nice, as shaders filters could be then shared on marketplace.
At least it looks like it might be possible to use our own shaders at some point. Having it update live on the layers would be amazing as well. I'll tell you what I think of it if I care enough about GMS when it finally makes it to the actual public, though 😬

gnysek

Why is it even "early preview" locked at all?
They are testing system of limiting features for subscribers maybe? Cause I don't think there's actually lot of users testing beta, so limiting it to even less have no sense for me, if it will be widely available later.

Ricardo

They are testing system of limiting features for subscribers maybe? Cause I don't think there's actually lot of users testing beta, so limiting it to even less have no sense for me, if it will be widely available later.
This is a worrisome precedent, though. Why does they want to limit features to subscriptions only this quick? The new model was just released. It feels like they want to start pushing permanent-license-owners into the subscription...
Just to be clear: I don't mind the subscription model since the localized price is dirt cheap compared to the prices I used to paid in USD for the permanent licenses, but I still haven't migrated since I just don't need to. This locked feature behind the new model won't convince me to migrate any quicker, though - if they want my QA services on their Betas, it is on their best interest to make the betas accessible.

Last edited:

gnysek

It feels like they want to start pushing permanent-license-owners into the subscription...
Have no sense for me, as from permanent license owners they will have 0$ income, since they offered those 12 months free per each license you have. Even if it's pushing, then not to force people to pay anything.

You guys have free generous years of indie, I don't see the problem.

If they wanted your QA, then they wouldn't have made it for indie/enterprise sub. But, maybe they will give everyone access in one of these upcoming updates. It is just a sneak peek after all.

This is my own opinion: I think beta should be reserved for indie/enterprise. I also think indie users should get 1 vote, and enterprise users should get 8 votes in determining what community features get added in.

Ricardo

Have no sense for me, as from permanent license owners they will have 0$ income, since they offered those 12 months free per each license you have. Even if it's pushing, then not to force people to pay anything.
That's exactly what I said, *pushing*. Never said they're forcing. For me just the subtle pushing it's an issue specifically on the Beta channel. That's all.
I don't really want to start a discussion about the whole subscription thing since this is not the right thread for it, though - and as I mentioned previously, I'm not even against it.

Last edited:

Posh Indie

That Guy
This is my own opinion: I think beta should be reserved for indie/enterprise. I also think indie users should get 1 vote, and enterprise users should get 8 votes in determining what community features get added in.
Those of us who own all permanent licenses have shown a lot of early support, and to be fair, the price we paid probably still, to this day, outpaces the current Indie Subscriptions in terms of value. In summary: All should be included. It is such a dumb feature to do this with, and all it does is show the community, "This is what Opera brings to the table". I can't wait to see what's next, to be honest. I have a feeling it's going to be pretty hilarious over the long term if they manage Game Maker Studio itself as well as they manage their community events (So far they're not disappointing one bit)...

In terms of this "Vote" you are all for: So permanent license holders get... 0 votes? Have fun with the influx of new users that keep demanding sprite editor updates for the foreseeable future, haha.

Welcome to the new age of Game Maker...

gnysek

That's exactly what I said, *pushing*.
I also don't see why this could be named pushing, as you can always back to pernament licences. Except *pushing* means *addicting* - offering free months, so people will switch into it, and then offering part of new features only for subscribers, so people won't see sense to get back to their pernament licences after 1/2/3/4/5 years of free goods passes (depending on how many licences you already bought).

Going back to topic, I've installed beta on Windows finally, and it works same as on Linux. On both versions I've noticed, that blur shader makes whole IDE unstable, as it renders in about 10-15 FPS, and games are looks to work much slower.
There's a chart from debugger, red line shows drops, when layer with blur is turned on:
1634596005846.png

Seems that fx functions aren't working yet on windows too. What's interesting, seems that layer_set_visible works too, so it's better than layer_clear_fx(), as layer function allows to toggle effect.

Edit: from english.csv it seems that more effects are coming, like: heat haze, underwater, and thanks to same file I found out, that there's "preview filters" option in rooms menu:
1634596325349.png

Last edited:

Posh Indie

That Guy
I also don't see why this could be named pushing, as you can always back to pernament licences. Except *pushing* means *addicting* - offering free months, so people will switch into it, and then offering part of new features only for subscribers, so people won't see sense to get back to their pernament licences after 1/2/3/4/5 years of free goods passes (depending on how many licences you already bought).
Just to preface this again: I'm okay with the subscription fee and would pay it eventually, but if ANYTHING gets permanently locked behind the subscription during the lifespan of the permanent licenses I am going to drop GMS on principle. If they push this buggy software into "the next phase" just to push permanent users into subscription early I am going to drop GMS on principle (And with the current behavior of the company, I wouldn't be naive enough to think they wouldn't).

Let's bring some reality into the conversation: Before they go testing people's patience maybe they should fix their software and get some regression testing in place. Hostile marketing while they have a track record of breaking almost as many things as they fix each release is not the time for it, though.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Beta 6 (IDE v23.1.1.411 Runtime v23.1.1.393) is rolling out now.

This version introduces the new design for the Start Page, which includes a little introduction "walkthough" for brand-new users. It also adds the ability to export your projects as a "Template" which are then added to your Start Page and become the base of other projects later on.

Right now, be aware that the old demos we have showing on the Templates page are a little bit "placeholder" just so you can try the new functionality and there will be new Templates coming soon - if you have issues downloading these old demos or creating a new project from them, then please do send a bug report for that, but you don't need to bug anything for the content inside the demos themselves.

There is also a few fixes for the filters stuff which came in the last Beta, and several in-game fixes, so please do check out the release notes as always.

https://gms.yoyogames.com/ReleaseNotes-NuBeta.html
https://gms.yoyogames.com/release-notes-runtime-NuBeta.html

drandula

Seems fresh :)
1634733507783.png

I like that you can see project image, though would it be better use game icon instead of project image?
1634733532110.png

Now to nitpick one thing, while loading I don't like this black bar :D I thought first it was visual artefact.
1634733300377.png

When I tried loading demo projects as templates, they failed with following message (did the bug report):
template fail.PNG

Edit. I don't like the folder choosing window for new projects 😅
1634733918057.png

Last edited:

Amon

I get the same error message trying to load a template as @drandula

Overall, I like the new start page look. It's easier for me to navigate.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Seems fresh :)
Thanks!

I like that you can see project image, though would it be better use game icon instead of project image?

If you set an icon in Template Info inside Game Options, then this will appear on the Start Page. E.g.:
1634746698361.png

We can't really rely on an existing game icon, as a Windows IDE user may not have set an icon for Mac games, and vice versa...

Now to nitpick one thing, while loading I don't like this black bar :D I thought first it was visual artefact.

Must confess, I thought exactly the same thing the first time, as it's up where an existing user expects to see the carousel. However, obviously, it is just a part of the Start Page and as you're not logged-in yet there is no username to show, etc.

When I tried loading demo projects as templates, they failed with following message (did the bug report):

We investigated this following you mentioning it here, and reproduced it ourselves. Tt's showing you that because you have previously never visited the Marketplace and "bought" that Demo. We're already looking into removing this permissions requirement, but you can easily fix this on your end just now if you want.

Edit. I don't like the folder choosing window for new projects 😅

I have passed this feedback on now. Thanks again.

kagemori

(Linux Beta), i was away from gms2 for a bit, now i get a "Unable to acess Runtime Feed" and a bunch of ssl errors on log when i try to open the program, tried running it from a liveusb system and same errors, with proton on steam also same error

gnysek

"Unable to acess Runtime Feed"
This error usually (but not always) shows for versions downloaded from different channel than public beta (aka. NuBeta). Latest file for Linux (Ubuntu 20.04 LTS) should be https://gms.yoyogames.com/GameMakerStudio2-Beta-23.1.1.411.deb . If you downloaded something different, then it's internal YYG version, and normal licenses aren't allowed to access runtime feeds other than Public and NuBeta (except your license was manually validated by helpdesk, or you know some squirrel ways for it :squirrel: ). If you downloaded this one... try to disable 2FA on your account and re-enable it? There was lot of issues with that in recent months.

-----

Will GMS2 get redesign of IDE, to be closer to Opera GX? New homepage looks definitely like it will be going that way, especially `template error` popup window.

My suggestion - I've got some internet connection issues, so there was no internet for 2 minutes, and I wasn't able to see list of templates, because GMS reported, that it's offline. Can we get some "reconnect" button, to force GMS2 IDE to refresh online status? 2 minutes wasn't log, but it required me to restart IDE.

I also think, that THIS community could be highlighted on items on right, same as blog. Half of GMS questions that aren't asked on redit are asked here, so why not?

Mehdi

Beta 6 (IDE v23.1.1.411 Runtime v23.1.1.393) is rolling out now.
So glad to see Game Maker Studio has gotten so dynamic. Everything is getting better and better.
Please release the stable version as soon as possible. We have lost the shortcuts due to the last update and it really hurts.

By the way, concerning he Filters & Effects Layer, I think it'd much better to apply the filter on certain layers only, not all the layers down below! For Example only the sublayers can take on the effects and other layers don't get affected at all.

gnysek

For Example only the sublayers can take on the effects and other layers don't get affected at all.
Some of filters would require to create temporary surface, then automatically draw it, which means some overhead and performance drop, which less experienced users might not understand. Also, if that would be done, it would be nice to have possibility to somehow access this additional surface for other purposes - which means lot of additional work.
In fact, you can go to runtime folder, copy shader, pass params, and use layer_script_end + layer_script_end, and apply same effect.
Personally, I think, that best solution would be to be able to apply those filters not only in room editor, but also in every draw event we want (so on instances and layer_script_xxx), so we don't need to copy those shaders manually, and we can use fx_xxx functions whenever we want (something like effect_create_above/below ).

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Beta 7 (IDE v23.1.1.412 Runtime v23.1.1.394) is rolling out now.

"Just" a small bug-fix update this time, really, but it does fix the manuals being wrong if you are not using English and also that if using the Mac IDE then in some cases your changes to key bindings may not have been saved properly.

Glad to see all the nice comments about the Start Page so far, so hopefully the little fixes in this version just increases the positivity. Thanks, all!

https://gms.yoyogames.com/ReleaseNotes-NuBeta.html
https://gms.yoyogames.com/release-notes-runtime-NuBeta.html

Status
Not open for further replies.