OFFICIAL 2.3.5 Stable Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
This topic is for the discussion of issues relating to the update of GameMaker Studio 2. However, this does not replace our normal bug reporting system and you should report all bugs as normal using https://accounts.yoyogames.com/contact-us

As ever, PLEASE check the Required SDKs FAQ before/during updating and ensure your antivirus/OS permissions are correct after you do the new install - User Permissions and Internet Access Required by GMS2 - before you submit any bug reports or post issues here.

You should post here if:
  • Something has changed between the previous version and this one, breaking your game (i.e.: code that worked previously now does not)
  • Something reported as fixed in the release notes is not actually fixed
  • You are having IDE or system issues related to something new in this update
  • You are having issues with new features introduced in this version
  • You are having issues updating to this version
  • Everything works and you want to tell us we are great (seriously, let us know if it all works correctly for you)
When reporting issues to the Helpdesk, please try to add as much information as possible, for example:
  • If the issue is with the IDE, then please give a screenshot if you can to help illustrate the problem
  • If there are error windows, then a link to the "ui.log" file found via the "Open Log in ..." Help menu command inside GMS2
  • If it is a code issue, then link to or attach a YYZ showing the most basic project possible which exhibits the behaviour
  • If you receive any error dialogues, please screenshot them
  • If it is a system issue (like compiling to a specific target) then please provide details of the PC being used as well as the software versions involved
Again: posting a comment in these release threads is not a replacement for filing a bug!

Release Notes

Runtime Release Notes

Current Release - IDE v2.3.5.589 Runtime v2.3.4.458 (Sept 30, 2021)

2.3.5 brings a lot of stability fixes and continues the improvements to the product enabled by the new renderer and input/output systems introduced in 2.3.4. However, we also enabled the Inspector within the Sprite Editor, added new UI in Preferences to allow you to redefine the hotkeys GMS2 uses throughout the product, and introduced several other small quality-of-life tweaks which you can read about by following the links below.

There are of course also a number of important bug fixes, so please do read the release notes carefully.

Note that this stable release does not include the Ubuntu IDE beta, and anyone interested in that should see the "How to get Betas" FAQ on the Helpdesk as per normal.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
So, where to download it ?
When you open up the current GM:S version, there should be a popup about update version 2.3.5.589 being available.

That, or from YYG GameMaker download pages (once you log in to an account)... is what I would think, but apparently the Windows IDE version shown on the download page is still 2.3.4.583. ^^'

gnysek

Two major releases in one month, that was unexpected... I like that new release cycle, it really gives feeling that GMS2 is now actively developed, and at this pace roadmap will be completed before spring :p (OK, there are bigger changes next on list, so I'm not pushing anyone, nor believe they can be done in few days).

I see no info about Opera GX exporter in release notes, is this officially available already (according to roadmap should be)?

Edit (1st October): There's separate blog post about that, all is clear now :)

Last edited:

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
we have IME fixes coming in next 2.3.6 Beta which should arrive in next few days (start of next week at latest), they did not quite make the 2.3.5 release window
I love how a vague post by Zhanghua is interpreted as another question/issue related to IME.

(for the record, Zhanghua originally asked about where to download the new version, as the quotation in my previous post shows)

I really love this. The updates are fast, and if you have a bug, the bug should be fixed pretty quickly compared to every 3 months. I can't wait for 2.3.6, the new project template feature. I always use the same code and same setup, so this will be nice instead of importing local packages. This is definitely well worth the sub.

Last edited:

chmod777

I've imported an old project made in GMS 1.4 into GMS 2.3.5. This game uses large rooms and many objects:
- On the HTML5 module with WebGL, it only runs at ~20 FPS (using Chromium based browsers - it's even worse in Firefox, it drops to ~8 FPS), likely something wrong with the runner or the compatibility scripts.
- Using the new GX export, it runs smoothly (60 FPS), just like the native exports. Impressive, congrats for the great job! :)

JavaScript extensions don't seem to work though. This would be a neat addition, if that's something possible.
Anyway I hope there are also plans to integrate a WASM export as part of the Web module.

Ricardo

I'm curious about the GX export module, but it hasn't appeared to me yet. Is a subscription license needed to get this module? I have the traditional "Web" export.

O.Stogden

I'm curious about the GX export module, but it hasn't appeared to me yet. Is a subscription license needed to get this module? I have the traditional "Web" export.
You might need to go to File > Logout, and then login again and it should update your exports.

The subscription isn't needed.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I was hoping that my issue with instance_place_list() would be resolved, but my game is still experiencing significant lag due to instance_place_list() using a precise collision.
Please file a bug with a project that shows the issue (preferably not a whole game) and we will take a look... we fixed AN issue that was filed but it may be a different (but related) issue that you are experiencing.

Russell

gnysek

I have some strange problem with code editor tabs when more than one worskspaces is created - when opening new script, it replaces lastly opened tab in same workspace. I'm suspecting that it might be caused by using beta and stable alternately - so if someone seen that issue too, maybe we together found a way to reproduce it so it could be reported - as for now I didn't found a way to reproduce it, so I can't report it (it happens randomly every 10-20 hours, and closing workspace solves issue).

angelwire

Please file a bug with a project that shows the issue (preferably not a whole game) and we will take a look... we fixed AN issue that was filed but it may be a different (but related) issue that you are experiencing.

Russell
I've added a note to the initial bug report ( #188726 ) stating that it hasn't been fixed.

gnysek

CTRL+Tab to open that window doesn't work anymore
Works on my side.

1633038405574.png

But, that doesn't mean it works on yours - maybe there's problem with different keyboard layouts for example, GameMaker has long history of bugs caused by regional settings. Don't forget to mention that info if you gonna report bug, as it might be crucial.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Ctrl+Tab is a key combination in certain IMEs. You have to bind another combination to that action if you happen to use one of them.

kingyo

Thank you for your active updates.

IME issues
When I use the IME, I can't use the hotkeys (turning off the IME, going to another application and then back to the IDE window fixes this). This is a problem that has not been improved for several years.

I can't enter more than 10 double-byte characters in the IME.
ime.png

Keyboard operation issues
Ctrl+T in room editor creates a tile layer (expected behaviour is Goto Type).

In room editor, I can't delete a point on the path with Del.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version).

Coded Games

What is the overall security of the Opera GX export? I really want to submit a demo version of Decks of Dexterity to the competition before I have the game fully finished for a Steam release, but I have some degree of concern for the potential of piracy or ripping assets. Like the HTML5 export games can be downloaded and assets extracted with minimal effort.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
What is the overall security of the Opera GX export? I really want to submit a demo version of Decks of Dexterity to the competition before I have the game fully finished for a Steam release, but I have some degree of concern for the potential of piracy or ripping assets. Like the HTML5 export games can be downloaded and assets extracted with minimal effort.
Putting aside the ease/difficulty of ripping assets, you might also want to consider whether you want to make the polished version of Decks of Dexterity available for free (which is a requirement in this competition).
If the competition-sent version had little difference in terms of overall content compared to the (presumably commercial) Steam release, then Steam might not like having such free version around (I think they have policy about not releasing the game for lower price outside of Steam? Don't remember the details).

I guess it won't be such a problem if the competition release will have demo-sized content compared to the Steam release, but either way, I'd be careful with sending to this competition projects that are planned to be released commercially.

O.Stogden

Putting aside the ease/difficulty of ripping assets, you might also want to consider whether you want to make the polished version of Decks of Dexterity available for free (which is a requirement in this competition).
If the competition-sent version had little difference in terms of overall content compared to the (presumably commercial) Steam release, then Steam might not like having such free version around (I think they have policy about not releasing the game for lower price outside of Steam? Don't remember the details).

I guess it won't be such a problem if the competition release will have demo-sized content compared to the Steam release, but either way, I'd be careful with sending to this competition projects that are planned to be released commercially.
Yeah, Steam does have a policy about offering the same game for a cheaper price elsewhere.

For TRF I've had to make some reductions due to the limitations of running in a browser, so I should be good. I've removed some tracks that were more advanced, simplified the track editor, removed track sharing (as it used Steam Workshop), and will likely remove at least 1 of the championships and maybe a couple of the more novel vehicle classes.

That would put it at having about 60% of the content, and seeing as TRF is a cheap Ā£4 game anyway, I think it's a fair trade for Steam and Steam users. If it was a Ā£15-20 game and I was giving 60% for free though, that might be a different story.

Coded Games

Yeah I realize that games for the competition have to be free. That's why it would not be the full game but just a demo. Not a significant portion of the game, just a enough content to give a taste and be a fun time. I definitely know of other games that have freely available demos and are commercial games on Steam (e.g. Undertale) so I don't really think that would be an issue. If I made this demo version I even could put it on Steam too for free alongside the main version.

Mehdi

We have reproduced the Ctrl+Tab/Cmd+Tab one here - thanks!

Checking Ctrl+T also now.
Thanks. I use CTRL+Tab a lot and now it's so hard for me to work without that, When it would be back in place? (pls as soon as possible )

COWCAT

So, now that the updates are more frequent, I'm really hoping for a "Long Term Support" version.

NB : I've updated to 2.3.5 and I don't see "Opera GX" in the list of targets?
NB2 : Ok found it, I had to log out.

Last edited:

O.Stogden

Does anyone else have an issue of being unable to export to the Opera GX platform?

When I click on "Create Executable" like the tutorial says I just get this window pop-up:
1633099113663.png

I waited about 3-4 minutes, but nothing changed.

Unsure if there's an easy fix or if it's something wrong on my end, so not filed a bug report yet.

Zhanghua

Does anyone else have an issue of being unable to export to the Opera GX platform?

When I click on "Create Executable" like the tutorial says I just get this window pop-up:
View attachment 43342

Unsure if there's an easy fix or if it's something wrong on my end, so not filed a bug report yet.
Download the OperaGX

ted234521

Precise collisions still cause a massive performance loss when using place_meeting() and move_contact_solid().
The sample project I provided is incredibly simple, yet loses almost 12,000 FPS when simply using place_meeting() in conjunction with precise collisions.

I have filed a bug report and the team has confirmed the bug's existence.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.

View attachment 43342

Please file a bug and include your ui.log (it would be good if you could add a line to your um.json, should be found in %appdata%\GameMakerStudio2, the line is

GML:
"debugLog" : "1"
just make sure the file is still valid JSON) Then rerun GMS2 and try the upload again, this will add extra info to the ui.log which will help us to diagnose what is going on.

Russell

O.Stogden

Please file a bug and include your ui.log (it would be good if you could add a line to your um.json, should be found in %appdata%\GameMakerStudio2, the line is

GML:
"debugLog" : "1"
just make sure the file is still valid JSON) Then rerun GMS2 and try the upload again, this will add extra info to the ui.log which will help us to diagnose what is going on.

Russell
Thanks, I've managed to get it working on my laptop, just not on my PC.

I'll get it sorted at the weekend and file a bug.

Mehdi

I tested, but the shortcuts to use tiles at room editor still not working. I hope that in the next update is solved.
For me too. the shortcuts for manipulating tiles in the room seem missing!
I think "Redifine keys" feature has broken these things. Please solve it.

O.Stogden

Anyone else having strange issues with keyboard_string and what it returns on the Opera GX export?

Unsure if this is a bug my end right now, I'll try and do more tests to confirm it, but it doesn't seem to respond to you clearing it with 'keyboard_string=""', nor does it respond to backspace to delete characters.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Anyone else having strange issues with keyboard_string and what it returns on the Opera GX export?

Unsure if this is a bug my end right now, I'll try and do more tests to confirm it, but it doesn't seem to respond to you clearing it with 'keyboard_string=""', nor does it respond to backspace to delete characters.
It is certainly a bug, and I reported it for getting in the way of one of my planned Opera GX game uploads.

gnysek

I've got some issues with keyboard key checking, but I assumed it's because of JS having different keycodes that on native Windows app. Seems it might be good to check it deeper, maybe there's more issues with keyboard input.

Status
Not open for further replies.