• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

SOLVED 2.3.4.583 YYC Compiler Not Working With Visual Studio 2019

I have encountered a strange bug. I reported this bug several weeks when VS 2019 became a requirement (I was already using 2019 and had had success with the YYC) but the new update did not address.

It is as if the YYC does not "see" a constructor.

Using target VM:
Create Event:
GML:
event_inherited();

show_message("Is Seen 0"); //A message to ensure that this code is even seen at runtime.
//Get data structure for this control
try {
struct_scrollBar = new basic_Scrollbar_componets(id);
}
catch (e)
{
    show_message(e); //e is NOT reported at compile time using the VM or YYC. Hence, we may conclude there is NO error...
}
finally {show_message("Is Seen 4");}//A message to ensure that this code is even seen at runtime.
show_message("Is Seen 5");//A message to ensure that this code is even seen at runtime.
ScrollBar_Design(struct_scrollBar);
Constructor:

GML:
function basic_Scrollbar_componets (_id) : basic_Control_componets(_id) constructor
{
#region OPERATION
    show_message("Is Seen 1");//A message to ensure that this code is even seen at runtime.

//Scrollbar inputs and outputs
    large_change    = _id.Large_Change;    //When the user clicks on the Background of the scrollbar
    small_change    = _id.Small_Change;    //When the user clicks on the Decrease or Increase Buttons
    input_maximum    = _id.Maximum;        //The input_maximum value the scrollbar can output
    input_minimum    = _id.Minimum;        //The input_minimum value the scrollbar can output
    input_value        = _id.Value;        //The value input by the user to inform the output of the scrollbar
    output_maximum    = undefined;        //An adjusted version of the input_maximum
    output_minimum    = undefined;        //An adjusted version of the input_minimum
    output_value    = 0;                //An adjusted version of the input_value. The output_value is returned as the value of the scrollbar
    precise_scrolling            = _id.Precise_Scrolling; //Enables the Bar Button to jaggedly drag if true, smooth with padding after button release if false
    scroll_drag_end_pad_type    = _id.Scroll_Drag_End_Pad_Type; //Pad type after smooth Bar Button dragging button release

//We'll skip the rest of this for this example... Note that "Is Seen " 2 and 3 are further down in the constructor. They are there ONLY for demonstration purposes to ensure that they are seen at runtime
At runtime, the "Is Seen" messages report "Is Seen 0" ... "Is Seen 5" -- All show_message() functions return a string in a textbox, meaning that all code is seen.

Switch the target to YYC and ONLY "Is Seen 0", "Is Seen 4", and "Is Seen 5" return message boxes. It's as if the constructor is not included in the compilation. Errors apparent to the constructor not being called then ensue.

Has anyone else encountered an issue where the YYC is not creating new constructors?

I don't see a definition for basic_Control_componets in what you've posted. What happens if you put some debug statements in there?

Also

That's not how compile errors work.

basic_Control_componets() is a parent constructor which contains variables shared among all user controls in my project. I didn't think it would be necessary to directly reference it here.

Interesting about the try-catch block. I thought e was reported at compile-time. I guess it is only at run-time...

I placed debug statements in the parent constructor and they WERE seen but it was a bit wonky. I should have seen the messages repeat for each button in the scrollbar but the messages were seen only once.

Again, this project worked in 2.3.3 but in 2.3.4 there are unexpected issues.

Nidoking

basic_Control_componets() is a parent constructor which contains variables shared among all user controls in my project.
As in, global variables? Or common struct variables?

I didn't think it would be necessary to directly reference it here.
It is referenced, though. It's the parent constructor. It's a thing that runs between two messages, the first of which displays and the second of which doesn't. If I see something get to point A and not get to point B, the things between A and B are the first suspects. You're welcome to do your own debugging, but if you're asking for help, you need to ask the whole question.

I placed debug statements in the parent constructor and they WERE seen but it was a bit wonky. I should have seen the messages repeat for each button in the scrollbar but the messages were seen only once.
Then it's a fair bet that it's only running the function once. The question of why that might be happening is, again, something you have consciously decided not to equip anyone but yourself to answer.

As in, global variables? Or common struct variables?

It is referenced, though. It's the parent constructor. It's a thing that runs between two messages, the first of which displays and the second of which doesn't. If I see something get to point A and not get to point B, the things between A and B are the first suspects. You're welcome to do your own debugging, but if you're asking for help, you need to ask the whole question.

Then it's a fair bet that it's only running the function once. The question of why that might be happening is, again, something you have consciously decided not to equip anyone but yourself to answer.
Sorry if I'm being too esoteric, I was EXTREMELY rushed last night...

basic_Control_componets() is just a global constructor, as are the constructors for the scroll bar, command button, etc. (They are called in script modules.) I do not know why the function is running only once and frankly lack a means of equipping anyone to answer. I suspect it may be the vcvars32.bat file associated with Visual Studio. I am presently on a different machine which never had VS installed. It is a lengthy install, however, and I'll provide an update when finished. If a fresh install fixes the error, then it likely has something to do with my VS install on my other machine. I will then have to completely wipe any ruminants of VS and do a fresh install. I did read in the update documentation for 2.3.4.583 that VS 2019 is now a requirement for using the YYC target. There may be residual conflicts of some kind since I have had 2015 installed as well.

In the meantime, here are some videos demonstrating the scrollbar. (Ignore the low in-game frame rate--it has subsequently been fixed):

Installed fresh VS 2019. No difference in error. I'll have to dig deeper to see what's happening here... I'll type in my results and a solution here once I discover it.

Installed fresh VS 2019. No difference in error. I'll have to dig deeper to see what's happening here... I'll type in my results and a solution here once I discover it.
Just downgraded to 2.3.3.574 and it works! So, there must be something about how 2.3.4.583 compiles constructors... I wish I was more versed in the deeper terminology and could render a more useful description of the problem.

Nidoking

basic_Control_componets() is just a global constructor, as are the constructors for the scroll bar, command button, etc. (They are called in script modules.)
I see that you have chosen the "tell, don't show" option. Functions "called" in "script modules" will, in fact, only run once. That would be true no matter the subversion of 2.3 you're using, though, so I believe that you're not using the right words here, still. A good choice of words to use would be "copy" and "paste", as in "copy the code from your actual dang game and paste it here so people who aren't you, i.e. the people you're asking questions of, will have the tiniest chance of being able to provide useful information in return." That's what I meant by being equipped to answer your question. Equipped with any knowledge at all of your problem.

I wish I was more versed in the deeper terminology and could render a more useful description of the problem.
Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. It's not rocket science. It's barely even computer science.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
as in "copy the code from your actual dang game and paste it here so people who aren't you, i.e. the people you're asking questions of, will have the tiniest chance of being able to provide useful information in return."
Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V. It's not rocket science. It's barely even computer science.
Lol! Someone's getting frustrated and needs a hug... :) While I can sympathise, I would request that you try and politely ask that they copy/paste the actual code and don't let frustration get the better of you...
Just downgraded to 2.3.3.574 and it works! So, there must be something about how 2.3.4.583 compiles constructors... I wish I was more versed in the deeper terminology and could render a more useful description of the problem.
This would indeed suggest (A) that there is either a bug in the current version, OR (B) that there is a bug in your code that is only being detected in the current version. So, I would have to agree with @Nidoking and request that you copy/paste ALL the relevant code so that we can examine it and determine which of the two scenarios it is. If it's a bug in the runner then YYG will have to know about it, but you don't want to file a bug report only to find out it's your own code that's at fault, that just wastes everyone's time.

The recent update did not solve my issue, hence I feel a bit more justified in copying and pasting the amount of code which will be necessary to ask this question.

Note: when the new operator is called, only the inherited constructors are seen. When the new operator is not called, the parent struct is seen and other errors related to the struct NOT being a constructor are then thrown later on in the Create event. This project also complied again in 2.3.3.574 but still refuses to work properly in 2.3.5.589...

I seem to have run into a 50,000 character limit with this post (hence, why I didn't want to post all this code in the first place!)
I will truncate to the code to provide the basic gist of it...

GML:
//Create event for the scrollbar

event_inherited(); //Contains inherited values which are not assigned in the constructor

show_debug_message("create " + string(5)); //I have placed debug messages with their respective lines to ascertain what the compiler sees
//Get constructor for this control
//NOTE: Removing the new operator makes it so the YYC actually "sees" the struct but then other errors are introduced...
struct_scrollBar = new basic_Scrollbar_componets(id); //<--This is where the bug occurs. The actual parent constructor for the scrollbar.
show_debug_message("create " + string(8));
ScrollBar_Design(struct_scrollBar); //The script which builds the scrollbar based on parameters obtained in the constructor.
show_debug_message("create " + string(10));

//Set Scrollbar's bounds
control_bounds_xx1 = struct_scrollBar.xx1; //If the new operator IS NOT called, these values then throw an error. If the new operator IS called, the compiler doesn't even reach this line.
control_bounds_yy1 = struct_scrollBar.yy1;
control_bounds_xx2 = struct_scrollBar.xx2;
control_bounds_yy2 = struct_scrollBar.yy2;

//The remainder of the Create event is irrelivant for this question...
Constructors called:
GML:
//Constructor
/// @function basic_Control_componets(id)
/// @description Creates a basic Control.
/// @param {instance}    id The instance of the calling object
/// @returns {void}
/// @author The Games Re-creation Project.org
function basic_Control_componets(_id) constructor
{
    show_debug_message("basic_Control_componets" + string(166)); //These debug messages ARE seen whether or not the new operator is used.
/**
* Please read comments per variable for a description of what is SUPPOSED to happen under normal operation...
**/
#region CONTROL GENERAL
    //Design of this control
    design_motif    = _id.CTRL_Design_Motif; //Can Be Skeuomorphic, Flat, or Material
#endregion

#region DIMENSIONS
    //Basic dimensions
    //These values may be assigned if inherited by other controls
    //(EX: The Scrollbar inherits Command Buttons for its constituent parts and reasignes these bound values accordingly per button)
    xx1                        = -_id.sprite_xoffset;
    yy1                        = -_id.sprite_yoffset;
    xx2                        = (_id.sprite_width - _id.sprite_xoffset);
    yy2                        = (_id.sprite_height - _id.sprite_yoffset);
    zz1                        = 0;
    zz2                        = 0; //Reserved for future use
    show_debug_message("basic_Control_componets" + string(185));
    //Bounds (typically matches the basic dimensions)
    //greatest edge dimensions (perimeter)

//BODY TRUNCATED... irrelevant code for this error anyway

#region VERTEX AND PRIMS
    v_format                                = undefined; //v_format and buffers for drawing the actual control
    main_v_buffer                            = undefined; //v_format and buffers for drawing the actual control
    overlay_v_buffer                        = undefined; //v_format and buffers for drawing the actual control
    control_primitivle_render_type            = !is_undefined(_id.CTRL_Primitive_Render_Type) ? _id.CTRL_Primitive_Render_Type : CONTROL_DEFAULT_PRIMITIVE_RENDER_TYPE; //The primitive render mode to use. Uses pr_trianglelist by default.
#endregion
    show_debug_message("basic_Control_componets" + string(324));
}
Next, the Command Button constructor is called (the buttons on the scrollbar are considered command buttons)
GML:
//Constructor Of Basic Button Componets
/// @function basic_Command_Button_componets()
/// @description A basic constructor containing all values necessary to create a Command Button
/// @param {object}    id    Instance id of the calling object
/// @returns {void}
/// @author The Games Re-creation Project.org
function basic_Command_Button_componets(_id) : basic_Control_componets(_id) constructor {
    show_debug_message("basic_Command_Button_componets" + string(32)); //Note: ALL of these debug messages are seen whether or not new is used.
    //Button Specific
    button_render_button    = true; //Sets whether the Command Button is rendered
    button_is_visible        = true; //Sets whether the Command Button is visible (Note: the button is still rendered but is fully transparent)
    button_design_motif        = undefined; //Skeuomorphic; Flat; Material; User
    back_style                = ENUM_Render_Back_Style.opaque; //Sets whether the button plateau is transparent or opaque
    is_clicked                = false; //Whether the button has been clicked
    show_debug_message("basic_Command_Button_componets" + string(39));
    //auto-size option
    auto_size                = false; //Re-sizes the planar surface to auto-fit the sprite overlay and caption
    show_debug_message("basic_Command_Button_componets" + string(42));
#region SPECIFIED DIMENSIONS FOR SKEUOMORPHS

//BODY TRUNCATED... irrelevant code for this error anyway

//Colors (shaded and non-shaded edges)
    plateau_color            = back_color;
    //These colors almost match HWND controls. They are overridden, however.
    left_edge_color            = c_Windows_Colors_Button_Light_Shadow;
    top_edge_color            = c_Windows_Colors_Button_Light_Shadow;
    right_edge_color        = c_Windows_Colors_Button_Dark_Shadow;
    bottom_edge_color        = c_Windows_Colors_Button_Dark_Shadow;
    show_debug_message("basic_Command_Button_componets" + string(95));
#endregion
}
Lastly, the parent constructor for the scrollbar object which gets/sets the values for the scrollbar.
This IS NOT seen if the new operator is used in the Create Event:
GML:
//constructor of a scrollbar
/// @function                basic_Scrollbar_componets(id) constructor
/// @description constructor for a scrollbar
/// @param {object}    id        The instance id of the calling object
function basic_Scrollbar_componets (_id) : basic_Control_componets(_id) constructor
{
    show_debug_message("basic_Scrollbar_componets" + string(77)); //NOTHING here is seen if the new operator is used in the Create Event.
#region OPERATION
    //Scrollbar inputs and outputs
    large_change    = _id.Large_Change;    //When the user clicks on the Background of the scrollbar
    small_change    = _id.Small_Change;    //When the user clicks on the Decrease or Increase Buttons
    input_maximum    = _id.Maximum;        //The input_maximum value the scrollbar can output
    input_minimum    = _id.Minimum;        //The input_minimum value the scrollbar can output
    input_value        = _id.Value;        //The value input by the user to inform the output of the scrollbar
    output_maximum    = undefined;        //An adjusted version of the input_maximum
    output_minimum    = undefined;        //An adjusted version of the input_minimum
    output_value    = 0;                //An adjusted version of the input_value. The output_value is returned as the value of the scrollbar
    precise_scrolling            = _id.Precise_Scrolling; //Enables the Bar Button to jaggedly drag if true, smooth with padding after button release if false
    scroll_drag_end_pad_type    = _id.Scroll_Drag_End_Pad_Type; //Pad type after smooth Bar Button dragging button release
    show_debug_message("basic_Scrollbar_componets" + string(90));
    //Get magnitude of difference between max and min
    output_max_min_diff    = point_distance(input_maximum,0,input_minimum,0);
    //shift toward 0
    output_maximum = output_max_min_diff;
    output_minimum = 0;

//Adjust starting output-value position based on input_value starting position
    //Ensure input_value lies within bounds
    if ((input_minimum < input_maximum && input_value >= input_minimum && input_value <= input_maximum)
        || (input_minimum > input_maximum && input_value <= input_minimum && input_value >= input_maximum))
    {
        if (input_minimum != output_minimum)
        {
            //Max is less-than Min. In HWND scrollbars, this usually counts up from the bottom (min and max reverse)
            if (input_maximum < input_minimum)
            {output_value = -sign(input_minimum) * ((sign(input_minimum) * input_value) + (sign(input_minimum) * -input_minimum));}
            else
            {output_value = sign(input_minimum) * ((sign(input_minimum) * input_value) - (sign(input_minimum) * input_minimum));}
        }
        //input and output are the same (Both == 0)
        else
        {output_value = sign(input_maximum) * input_value;}
    }
    //input_value falls outside bounds
    else
    {
        if (input_maximum < input_minimum)
        {
            if (input_value > input_minimum)
            {
                output_value = output_minimum;
            }
            else if (input_value < input_maximum)
            {
                output_value = output_maximum;
            }
            input_value = clamp(input_value,input_maximum,input_minimum);     
        } 
        else
        {
            if (input_value < input_minimum)
            {
                output_value = output_minimum;
            }
            else if (input_value > input_maximum)
            {
                output_value = output_maximum;
            }
            input_value = clamp(input_value,input_minimum,input_maximum);
        }
    }
    show_debug_message("basic_Scrollbar_componets" + string(142));
    //Sounds
    //Optional sounds the user may instantiate in the Variable Definitions module
    small_change_decrease_sound = _id.Small_Change_Decrease_Sound; //Plays when Decrease Button is clicked
    large_change_decrease_sound = _id.Large_Change_Decrease_Sound; //Plays when the portion of the Background between the Bar Button and Decrease Button is clicked
    small_change_increase_sound = _id.Small_Change_Increase_Sound; //Plays when Increase Button is clicked
    large_change_increase_sound = _id.Large_Change_Increase_Sound; //Plays when the portion of the Background between the Bar Button and Increase Button is clicked
    dragging_decrease_sound        = _id.Dragging_Decrease_Sound; //Plays while dragging bar button in decreasing value direction
    dragging_increase_sound        = _id.Dragging_Increase_Sound; //Plays while dragging bar button in increasing value direction
    maxed_sound                    = _id.Maxed_Sound; //Plays when input_value is maxed
    minned_sound                = _id.Minned_Sound; //Plays when input_value is minned
    overlap_sounds                = _id.Overlap_Sounds; //Allows sounds to play repeatedly instead of waiting for current audio to finish (may cause loud or distorted audio)
    white_dragging_repeat_max_min_sounds_if_beyond_scope = _id.While_Dragging_Reapeat_Max_Min_Sounds_If_Beyond_Scope; //If the Bar Button is being dragged and the value is beyond scope, should the max/min audio play repeatedly?
    swap_sounds                    = _id.Swap_Sounds; //Swaps decrease and increase sounds, and max and min sounds

//Shaders
    decrease_button_shader        = _id.Decrease_Button_Shader; //A shader for the decrease button
    increase_button_shader        = _id.Increase_Button_Shader; //A shader for the increase button
    bar_button_shader            = _id.Bar_Button_Shader; //A shader for the bar button
    background_shader            = _id.Background_Shader; //A shader for the background
#endregion 

#region BUTTONS
    //Decrease Button
    //Appears at the top (vertical) or left (horizontal) end of the scrollbar
    decrease_button_xx1            = undefined;
    decrease_button_yy1            = undefined;
    decrease_button_xx2            = undefined;
    decrease_button_yy2            = undefined;
    decrease_button_width        = undefined;
    decrease_button_height        = undefined;
    decrease_button_center_x    = undefined;
    decrease_button_center_y    = undefined;

//increase button
    //Appears at the bottom (vertical) or right (horizontal) end of the scrollbar
    increase_button_xx1            = undefined;
    increase_button_yy1            = undefined;
    increase_button_xx2            = undefined;
    increase_button_yy2            = undefined;
    increase_button_width        = undefined;
    increase_button_height        = undefined;
    increase_button_center_x    = undefined;
    increase_button_center_y    = undefined;

//Bar Button
    //The slider button. This is also known as the "thumb."
    bar_button_xx1                = undefined;
    bar_button_yy1                = undefined;
    bar_button_xx2                = undefined;
    bar_button_yy2                = undefined;
    bar_button_width            = undefined;
    bar_button_height            = undefined;
    bar_button_center_x            = undefined;
    bar_button_center_y            = undefined;

//Background
    //The background of the scrollbar
    background_xx1                = undefined;
    background_yy1                = undefined;
    background_xx2                = undefined;
    background_yy2                = undefined;
    background_width            = undefined;  //RESERVED WORD!!!!
    background_height            = undefined; //RESERVED WORD!!!!
    background_center_x            = undefined;
    background_center_y            = undefined;
    show_debug_message("basic_Scrollbar_componets" + string(208));
    //Misc Button Options
    //Decrease/Increase Buttons
    //Modifies the the height or width of the subordiant edge of the Decrease and/or Increaase Buttons
    decrease_button_auto_to_square = _id.Decrease_Button_Auto_To_Square; //Force subordinante edge of this button to extend so button is square?
    decrease_button_subrdinant_edge_size_modifier = _id.Decrease_Button_Subordinante_Edge_Size_Modifier;
    increase_button_auto_to_square = _id.Increase_Button_Auto_To_Square; //Force subordinante edge of this button to extend so button is square?
    increase_button_subrdinant_edge_size_modifier = _id.Increase_Button_Subordinante_Edge_Size_Modifier;

//Bar Button (the thumb)
    bar_button_blinking_interval = _id.Bar_Button_Blinking_Interval; //Causes the Bar Button to blink at a specified interval per second
    bar_button_blink_always_on    = _id.Bar_Button_Blink_Always_On; //Causes the Bar Button blink to always appear while the button is selected
    bar_button_blinking_time    = 0.0; //Counter for the blink effect
    bar_button_blink            = false; //If true, a black rectangle is drawn over plateau portion of a skeuomorphic bar button
    bar_button_allow_blinking    =  bar_button_blinking_interval == 0 ? false : true;//Sets whether the bar button blinks when selected
    bar_button_available_distance = undefined; //The Room-space distance between the Decrease and Increase Buttons
    //Max and min points of travel    of x        of y
    bar_button_max_travel_xy    = [undefined, undefined]; //The Room-space input_maximum distance in x or y plane the Bar Button can travel
    bar_button_min_travel_xy    = [undefined, undefined]; //The Room-space input_minimum distance in x or y plane the Bar Button can travel
    bar_button_exists            = true; //If the distance between the max and min change is less-than the large change, DO NOT activate the bar button
    bar_button_percent_of_dist    = undefined; //The percentage of the Bar Button's height or width as a portion of the available distance
    bar_button_size_of_dist        = undefined; //The size of the Bar Button's height or width as a portion of the available distance
    bar_button_adjust_image_index_per_percentage = _id.Bar_Button_Adjust_Image_Index_Per_Percentage; //Changes the current Bar_Button_Image_Index based on the current output_value as a percentage of the image indices
    bar_button_sprite_number    = sprite_get_number(_id.Bar_Button_Sprite_Index); //Returns the total number of indices in the Bar_Button_Sprite_Index
    bar_button_reverse_image_indices = _id.Bar_Button_Reverse_Image_Indices; //Reverses the order in which the texture indices are returned
    thumb_use_value_maxed_image_index    = _id.Thumb_Use_Value_Maxed_Image_Index;//The frame that displays when the thumb value is maxed
    thumb_use_value_minned_image_index    = _id.Thumb_Use_Value_Minned_Image_Index;//The frame that displayed when the thumb value is minned
    bar_button_caption_equals_value = _id.Bar_Button_Caption_Equals_Value; //Overrides the caption to be the current Scrollbar value. To avoid text cut off, enable Bar_Button_Sprite_Overlay_Treat_No_Offset_As_Offset
    proportional_thumb            = _id.Proportional_Thumb; //Force the Thumb to assume a square shape
    bar_button_max_min_audio_has_played = false; //controller used for whether the max or min audio has played when user slides the Bar Button

//Background (the track)
    background_OnClick_direction_of_large_change_travel = undefined;//The direction of the large_change travel
    show_debug_message("basic_Scrollbar_componets" + string(241));
    //MISC
    //clickable regions
    //records which part of the scrollbar was clicked
    //Uses ENUM_ScrollBar_Clickable_Region_parts
    clickable_regions            = [
                                    [undefined,undefined,undefined,undefined], //[0, [left_bound, top_bound, right_bound, bottom_bound]] of Increase Button
                                    [undefined,undefined,undefined,undefined], //[1, [left_bound, top_bound, right_bound, bottom_bound]] of Decrease Button
                                    [undefined,undefined,undefined,undefined], //[2, [left_bound, top_bound, right_bound, bottom_bound]] of Bar Button
                                    [undefined,undefined,undefined,undefined]  //[3, [left_bound, top_bound, right_bound, bottom_bound]] of Background
                                ];
    //Get clicked region
    //Determines the x- and y-
    //corrdiantes of a click         Of_x       Of_y
    clicked_region                = [undefined,undefined];
    clicked_button                = noone; //The specific button clicked
    a_button_is_clicked            = false; //true if any button on scrollbar clicked. Becomes false after mouse button or other interaction ended

//Scrollbar Specific
    decrease_button_render_arrow = undefined; //Renders an up- or left-facing arrow
    increase_button_render_arrow = undefined; //Renders a down- or right-facing arrow
#endregion

#region ORIENTATION
    show_debug_message("basic_Scrollbar_componets" + string(265));
    //bool for orientation
    is_vertical = true; //Sets whether the scrollbar is vertical or horizontal.
    //Enable user to choose scrollbar orination regardless of aspect ratio
    manual_orientation_override    = _id.Manual_Orientation_Override;
    //Set the aspect ratio. This value will determine whether the scrollbar is vertical or horizontal
    //Note: an aspect ratio of 1 is considered vertical as vertical is the commonest orientation for a scrollbar
    aspect_ratio = (!is_infinity(bounds_width / bounds_height) && !is_nan(bounds_width / bounds_height) ? (bounds_width / bounds_height) : 1);
    //Orientation may also be handled by the image index in the Room Editor.
    //Frame 0 = Auto; 1 = Vertical; 2 = Horizontal. Image index in Room Editor will provide a sample of in-game output.
    //Importatnt Note: --!!Manual_Orientation_Override will override setting the orientation using the image index!!--
    orientation = _id.image_index;

//Set orientation
    //use override
    if (manual_orientation_override != false)
    {
        switch (manual_orientation_override)
        {
            //Auto
            case SCROLLBAR_ORIENTATIONS_AUTO:
            {orientation = ENUM_Scrollbar_Orientation.auto;}
            break;
            //Vert
            case SCROLLBAR_ORIENTATIONS_VERTICAL:
            {orientation = ENUM_Scrollbar_Orientation.vert;}
            break;
            //Horz
            case SCROLLBAR_ORIENTATIONS_HORIZONTAL:
            {orientation = ENUM_Scrollbar_Orientation.horz;}
            break;

//Defaults to auto
            default:
            break;
        }
    }
    //use image index
    else
    {
        switch (_id.image_index)
        {
            //Auto
            case ENUM_Scrollbar_Orientation.auto:
            {orientation = _id.image_index;}
            break;
            //Vert
            case ENUM_Scrollbar_Orientation.vert:
            break;
            //Horz
            case ENUM_Scrollbar_Orientation.horz:
            break;

//Defaults to auto
            default:
            break;
        }
    }

//Determine whether is vertical or horizontal if auto-orientation
    if (orientation == ENUM_Scrollbar_Orientation.auto)
    {
        //Is taller
        if (aspect_ratio <= 1)
        {is_vertical = true;}
        //is wider
        else
        {is_vertical = false;}
    }
    //Vertical
    else if orientation == ENUM_Scrollbar_Orientation.vert
    {is_vertical = true;}
    //Horizontal
    else if orientation == ENUM_Scrollbar_Orientation.horz
    {is_vertical = false;}
    //default to vertical
    else
    {is_vertical = true;}
show_debug_message("basic_Scrollbar_componets" + string(347));
#region ASSIGN VALUES TO BUTTONS
    //Get height and width of buttons
    //Vertical (Width matches bounding box [defined toward the start of this struct]) -- Decrease Button is top
    if (is_vertical)
    {
        //decrease button
        decrease_button_xx1            = xx1;
        decrease_button_yy1            = yy1;
        decrease_button_xx2            = xx2;
        //Auto-square?
        if (decrease_button_auto_to_square)
        {decrease_button_yy2        = min((yy1 + bounds_width) + decrease_button_subrdinant_edge_size_modifier, yy1 + (bounds_height/2));}
        //Traditional
        else
        {decrease_button_yy2        = yy1 + min(bounds_height/2, SCROLLBAR_SUBORDINANTE_DIMENSION_MAX_PIXEL_VALUE) + decrease_button_subrdinant_edge_size_modifier;}
        decrease_button_width        = bounds_width;
        decrease_button_height        = decrease_button_yy2 - decrease_button_yy1;
        decrease_button_center_x    = decrease_button_xx1 + decrease_button_width/2;
        decrease_button_center_y    = decrease_button_yy1 + decrease_button_height/2;

//increase button
        increase_button_xx1            = xx1;
        //Auto-square?
        if (increase_button_auto_to_square)
        {increase_button_yy1        =  max((yy2 - bounds_width) + decrease_button_subrdinant_edge_size_modifier, yy2 - (bounds_height/2));}
        //Traditional
        else
        {increase_button_yy1        = yy2 - min(bounds_height/2, SCROLLBAR_SUBORDINANTE_DIMENSION_MAX_PIXEL_VALUE) + increase_button_subrdinant_edge_size_modifier;}
        increase_button_xx2            = xx2;
        increase_button_yy2            = yy2;
        increase_button_width        = bounds_width;
        increase_button_height        = increase_button_yy2 - increase_button_yy1;
        increase_button_center_x    = increase_button_xx1 + increase_button_width/2;
        increase_button_center_y    = increase_button_yy1 + increase_button_height/2;

//bar button
        //get available distance
        bar_button_available_distance    = point_distance(0, increase_button_yy1, 0, decrease_button_yy2);
        //calculate width and height first
        bar_button_width            = bounds_width;

if (proportional_thumb)
        {bar_button_height            = min(bounds_width,increase_button_yy1-decrease_button_yy2);}
        else
        {bar_button_height            = max(SCROLLBAR_BAR_BUTTON_MAX_SQUISH, (!is_infinity((bar_button_available_distance/((output_max_min_diff+large_change)/large_change))) && !is_nan((bar_button_available_distance/((output_max_min_diff+large_change)/large_change))) ? (bar_button_available_distance/((output_max_min_diff+large_change)/large_change)) : 0));}
        //set the bar button's percentage as a portion of the available distance
        bar_button_percent_of_dist    = bar_button_height / (bar_button_available_distance - bar_button_height);
        bar_button_size_of_dist        = output_max_min_diff * bar_button_percent_of_dist;
        bar_button_center_x            = xx1 + bounds_width/2;
        bar_button_center_y            = decrease_button_yy2 + (bar_button_available_distance * (!is_infinity(output_value/(output_max_min_diff+large_change)) && !is_nan(output_value/(output_max_min_diff+large_change)) ? output_value/(output_max_min_diff+large_change) : 0)) + bar_button_height/2;
        bar_button_xx1                = xx1;
        bar_button_yy1                = bar_button_center_y - bar_button_height/2;
        bar_button_xx2                = xx2;
        bar_button_yy2                = bar_button_center_y + bar_button_height/2;

//background
        background_xx1                = xx1;
        background_yy1                = decrease_button_yy2;
        background_xx2                = xx2;
        background_yy2                = increase_button_yy1;
        background_width            = bounds_width;
        background_height            = bounds_height;
        background_center_x            = background_xx1 + background_width/2;
        background_center_y            = background_yy1 + background_height/2;
    }
    //Horizontal (Height matches bounding box [defined toward the start of this struct]) -- Decrease Button is left
    else
    {
        //decrease button
        decrease_button_xx1            = xx1;
        decrease_button_yy1            = yy1;
        //Auto-square?
        if (decrease_button_auto_to_square)
        {decrease_button_xx2        = min((xx1 + bounds_height) + decrease_button_subrdinant_edge_size_modifier, xx1 + (bounds_width/2));}
        //Traditional
        else
        {decrease_button_xx2        = xx1 + min(bounds_width/2, SCROLLBAR_SUBORDINANTE_DIMENSION_MAX_PIXEL_VALUE) + decrease_button_subrdinant_edge_size_modifier;}
        decrease_button_yy2            = yy2;
        decrease_button_width        = decrease_button_xx2 - decrease_button_xx1;
        decrease_button_height        = bounds_height;
        decrease_button_center_x    = decrease_button_xx1 + decrease_button_width/2;
        decrease_button_center_y    = decrease_button_yy1 + decrease_button_height/2;

//increase button
        //Auto-square?
        if (increase_button_auto_to_square)
        {increase_button_xx1        = max((xx2 - bounds_height) + decrease_button_subrdinant_edge_size_modifier, xx2 - (bounds_width/2));}
        //Traditional
        else
        {increase_button_xx1        = xx2 - min(bounds_width/2, SCROLLBAR_SUBORDINANTE_DIMENSION_MAX_PIXEL_VALUE) + increase_button_subrdinant_edge_size_modifier;}
        increase_button_yy1            = yy1;
        increase_button_xx2            = xx2;
        increase_button_yy2            = yy2;
        increase_button_width        = increase_button_xx2 - increase_button_xx1;
        increase_button_height        = bounds_height;
        increase_button_center_x    = increase_button_xx1 + increase_button_width/2;
        increase_button_center_y    = increase_button_yy1 + increase_button_height/2;

//bar button
        //get available distance
        bar_button_available_distance    = point_distance(0, increase_button_xx1, 0, decrease_button_xx2);
        //calculate width and height first
        //Auto-square?
        if (proportional_thumb)
        {bar_button_width            = min(bounds_height,increase_button_xx1-decrease_button_xx2);}
        //Traditional
        else
        {bar_button_width            = max(SCROLLBAR_BAR_BUTTON_MAX_SQUISH, (!is_infinity((bar_button_available_distance/((output_max_min_diff+large_change)/large_change))) && !is_nan((bar_button_available_distance/((output_max_min_diff+large_change)/large_change))) ? (bar_button_available_distance/((output_max_min_diff+large_change)/large_change)) : 0));}
        bar_button_height            = bounds_height;
        //set the bar button's percentage as a portion of the available distance
        bar_button_percent_of_dist    = bar_button_width / (bar_button_available_distance - bar_button_width);
        bar_button_size_of_dist        = output_max_min_diff * bar_button_percent_of_dist;
        bar_button_center_x            = decrease_button_xx2 + (bar_button_available_distance * (!is_infinity(output_value/(output_max_min_diff+large_change)) && !is_nan(output_value/(output_max_min_diff+large_change)) ? output_value/(output_max_min_diff+large_change) : 0)) + bar_button_width/2
        bar_button_center_y            = yy1 + bounds_height/2;
        bar_button_xx1                = bar_button_center_x - bar_button_width/2;
        bar_button_yy1                = yy1;
        bar_button_xx2                = bar_button_center_x + bar_button_width/2;
        bar_button_yy2                = yy2;

//background
        background_xx1                = decrease_button_xx2;
        background_yy1                = yy1;
        background_xx2                = increase_button_xx1;
        background_yy2                = yy2;
        background_width            = bounds_width;
        background_height            = bounds_height;
        background_center_x            = background_xx1 + background_width/2;
        background_center_y            = background_yy1 + background_height/2;
    }

//lastly, set the bar_button min and max travel amounts
    bar_button_min_travel_xy[of_x] = decrease_button_xx2 + bar_button_width/2;
    bar_button_max_travel_xy[of_x] = increase_button_xx1 - bar_button_width/2;
    bar_button_min_travel_xy[of_y] = decrease_button_yy2 + bar_button_height/2;
    bar_button_max_travel_xy[of_y] = increase_button_yy1 - bar_button_height/2;
    show_debug_message("basic_Scrollbar_componets " + string(483));
#endregion

#endregion

#region BUTTONS
    decrease_button        = noone;
    increase_button        = noone;
    bar_button            = noone;
    background_plane    = noone;
    decrease_button        = new basic_Command_Button_componets(_id);  //COULD CALLING A CONSTRUCTOR WITHIN A CONSTRUCTOR BE CAUSING THE ERROR?
    increase_button        = new basic_Command_Button_componets(_id);
    bar_button            = new basic_Command_Button_componets(_id);
    background            = new basic_Command_Button_componets(_id);

#region BUTTON COLORS
    //Font colors and dropshadow colors
    decrease_button_caption_font_color1                = is_int64(_id.Decrease_Button_Caption_Font_Color1)                ? _id.Decrease_Button_Caption_Font_Color1                : fore_color;
    decrease_button_caption_font_color_drop_shadow1    = is_int64(_id.Decrease_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow1)    ? _id.Decrease_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow1    : fore_color_drop_shadow;
    increase_button_caption_font_color1                = is_int64(_id.Increase_Button_Caption_Font_Color1)                ? _id.Increase_Button_Caption_Font_Color1                : fore_color;
    increase_button_caption_font_color_drop_shadow1    = is_int64(_id.Increase_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow1)    ? _id.Increase_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow1    : fore_color_drop_shadow;
    bar_button_caption_font_color1                    = is_int64(_id.Bar_Button_Caption_Font_Color1)                    ? _id.Bar_Button_Caption_Font_Color1                    : fore_color;
    bar_button_caption_font_color_drop_shadow1        = is_int64(_id.Bar_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow1)        ? _id.Bar_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow1        : fore_color_drop_shadow;
    background_caption_font_color1                    = is_int64(_id.Background_Caption_Font_Color1)                    ? _id.Background_Caption_Font_Color1                    : fore_color;
    background_caption_font_color_drop_shadow1        = is_int64(_id.Background_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow1)        ? _id.Background_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow1        : fore_color_drop_shadow;
    decrease_button_caption_font_color2                = is_int64(_id.Decrease_Button_Caption_Font_Color2)                ? _id.Decrease_Button_Caption_Font_Color2                : fore_color;
    decrease_button_caption_font_color_drop_shadow2    = is_int64(_id.Decrease_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow2)    ? _id.Decrease_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow2    : fore_color_drop_shadow;
    increase_button_caption_font_color2                = is_int64(_id.Increase_Button_Caption_Font_Color2)                ? _id.Increase_Button_Caption_Font_Color2                : fore_color;
    increase_button_caption_font_color_drop_shadow2    = is_int64(_id.Increase_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow2)    ? _id.Increase_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow2    : fore_color_drop_shadow;
    bar_button_caption_font_color2                    = is_int64(_id.Bar_Button_Caption_Font_Color2)                    ? _id.Bar_Button_Caption_Font_Color2                    : fore_color;
    bar_button_caption_font_color_drop_shadow2        = is_int64(_id.Bar_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow2)        ? _id.Bar_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow2        : fore_color_drop_shadow;
    background_caption_font_color2                    = is_int64(_id.Background_Caption_Font_Color2)                    ? _id.Background_Caption_Font_Color2                    : fore_color;
    background_caption_font_color_drop_shadow2        = is_int64(_id.Background_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow2)        ? _id.Background_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow2        : fore_color_drop_shadow;
    decrease_button_caption_font_color3                = is_int64(_id.Decrease_Button_Caption_Font_Color3)                ? _id.Decrease_Button_Caption_Font_Color3                : fore_color;
    decrease_button_caption_font_color_drop_shadow3    = is_int64(_id.Decrease_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow3)    ? _id.Decrease_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow3    : fore_color_drop_shadow;
    increase_button_caption_font_color3                = is_int64(_id.Increase_Button_Caption_Font_Color3)                ? _id.Increase_Button_Caption_Font_Color3                : fore_color;
    increase_button_caption_font_color_drop_shadow3    = is_int64(_id.Increase_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow3)    ? _id.Increase_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow3    : fore_color_drop_shadow;
    bar_button_caption_font_color3                    = is_int64(_id.Bar_Button_Caption_Font_Color3)                    ? _id.Bar_Button_Caption_Font_Color3                    : fore_color;
    bar_button_caption_font_color_drop_shadow3        = is_int64(_id.Bar_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow3)        ? _id.Bar_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow3        : fore_color_drop_shadow;
    background_caption_font_color3                    = is_int64(_id.Background_Caption_Font_Color3)                    ? _id.Background_Caption_Font_Color3                    : fore_color;
    background_caption_font_color_drop_shadow3        = is_int64(_id.Background_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow3)        ? _id.Background_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow3        : fore_color_drop_shadow;
    decrease_button_caption_font_color4                = is_int64(_id.Decrease_Button_Caption_Font_Color4)                ? _id.Decrease_Button_Caption_Font_Color4                : fore_color;
    decrease_button_caption_font_color_drop_shadow4    = is_int64(_id.Decrease_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow4)    ? _id.Decrease_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow4    : fore_color_drop_shadow;
    increase_button_caption_font_color4                = is_int64(_id.Increase_Button_Caption_Font_Color4)                ? _id.Increase_Button_Caption_Font_Color4                : fore_color;
    increase_button_caption_font_color_drop_shadow4    = is_int64(_id.Increase_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow4)    ? _id.Increase_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow4    : fore_color_drop_shadow;
    bar_button_caption_font_color4                    = is_int64(_id.Bar_Button_Caption_Font_Color4)                    ? _id.Bar_Button_Caption_Font_Color4                    : fore_color;
    bar_button_caption_font_color_drop_shadow4        = is_int64(_id.Bar_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow4)        ? _id.Bar_Button_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow4        : fore_color_drop_shadow;
    background_caption_font_color4                    = is_int64(_id.Background_Caption_Font_Color4)                    ? _id.Background_Caption_Font_Color4                    : fore_color;
    background_caption_font_color_drop_shadow4        = is_int64(_id.Background_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow4)        ? _id.Background_Caption_Font_Color_Drop_Shadow4        : fore_color_drop_shadow;

//Vertex Colors
    //Back colors
    decrease_button_back_color                        = is_int64(_id.Decrease_Button_Back_Color)    ? _id.Decrease_Button_Back_Color    : back_color;
    increase_button_back_color                        = is_int64(_id.Increase_Button_Back_Color)    ? _id.Increase_Button_Back_Color    : back_color;
    bar_button_back_color                            = is_int64(_id.Bar_Button_Back_Color)        ? _id.Bar_Button_Back_Color            : back_color;
    background_back_color                            = is_int64(_id.Background_Back_Color)        ? _id.Background_Back_Color            : back_color; 

//Arrow colors
    decrease_button_arrow_color                        = is_int64(_id.Decrease_Button_Arrow_Color)    ? _id.Decrease_Button_Arrow_Color    : fore_color;
    increase_button_arrow_color                        = is_int64(_id.Increase_Button_Arrow_Color)    ? _id.Increase_Button_Arrow_Color    : fore_color;

//Options
    //Bar Button
    bar_button_blink_color1                            = is_int64(_id.Bar_Button_Blink_Color1) ? _id.Bar_Button_Blink_Color1 : c_black;
    bar_button_blink_color2                            = is_int64(_id.Bar_Button_Blink_Color2) ? _id.Bar_Button_Blink_Color2 : c_black;
    bar_button_blink_color3                            = is_int64(_id.Bar_Button_Blink_Color3) ? _id.Bar_Button_Blink_Color3 : c_black;
    bar_button_blink_color4                            = is_int64(_id.Bar_Button_Blink_Color4) ? _id.Bar_Button_Blink_Color4 : c_black;

//Background                                 
    background_large_change_decrease_color1            = is_int64(_id.Background_Large_Change_Decrease_Color1) ? _id.Background_Large_Change_Decrease_Color1 : c_black;
    background_large_change_decrease_color2            = is_int64(_id.Background_Large_Change_Decrease_Color2) ? _id.Background_Large_Change_Decrease_Color2 : c_black;
    background_large_change_decrease_color3            = is_int64(_id.Background_Large_Change_Decrease_Color3) ? _id.Background_Large_Change_Decrease_Color3 : c_black;
    background_large_change_decrease_color4            = is_int64(_id.Background_Large_Change_Decrease_Color4) ? _id.Background_Large_Change_Decrease_Color4 : c_black;
    background_large_change_increase_color1            = is_int64(_id.Background_Large_Change_Increase_Color1) ? _id.Background_Large_Change_Increase_Color1 : c_black;
    background_large_change_increase_color2            = is_int64(_id.Background_Large_Change_Increase_Color2) ? _id.Background_Large_Change_Increase_Color2 : c_black;
    background_large_change_increase_color3            = is_int64(_id.Background_Large_Change_Increase_Color3) ? _id.Background_Large_Change_Increase_Color3 : c_black;
    background_large_change_increase_color4            = is_int64(_id.Background_Large_Change_Increase_Color4) ? _id.Background_Large_Change_Increase_Color4 : c_black;
    //Darken the background by a certain percentage
    background_color_darken_amount                    = is_real(_id.Background_Color_Darken_Amount) ? _id.Background_Color_Darken_Amount : SKEUOMORPHIC_BUTTON_SHADED_AREA_COLOR_MERGE_PERCENTAGE;

show_debug_message("basic_Scrollbar_componets " + string(563));
#endregion

#region VERTEX AND PRIMS
    //Vertex buffers
    //Create vertex buffers for componets of scrollbar
    //v_format                                        = -1;
    arr_v_buffers                                    = array_create(ENUM_ScrollBar_Constituents.length,noone);
    decrease_button_primitive_render_type            = !is_undefined(_id.Decrease_Button_Primitive_Render_Type) ? _id.Decrease_Button_Primitive_Render_Type : control_primitivle_render_type;
    increase_button_primitive_render_type            = !is_undefined(_id.Increase_Button_Primitive_Render_Type) ? _id.Increase_Button_Primitive_Render_Type : control_primitivle_render_type;
    bar_button_primitive_render_type                = !is_undefined(_id.Bar_Button_Primitive_Render_Type)       ? _id.Bar_Button_Primitive_Render_Type       : control_primitivle_render_type;
    background_primitive_render_type                = !is_undefined(_id.Background_Primitive_Render_Type)       ? _id.Background_Primitive_Render_Type       : control_primitivle_render_type;

#endregion

#endregion
show_debug_message("basic_Scrollbar_componets " + string(579));
}

I have even added semi-colons to the closing brackets of these constructors to no avail.

Possible issue: Can the updated YoYo Compiler handle nested constructors? The parent constructor calls new constructors within itself...

The error is then thrown in ScrollBar_Design() because the array containing the vertex data is not properly populated.

GML:
/// @function ScrollBar_Design(struct_scrollBar)
/// @description Designs a scrollbar
/// @param {struct}            struct_scrollBar The struct of all scrollbar componets
/// @requires several functions included in the package
/// @retruns {void}
/// @author    The Games Re-creation Project.org
function ScrollBar_Design(_struct_scrollBar)
{ 
    //Error check
    if (!is_struct(_struct_scrollBar)) {exit;}

//vertex
    //reset format
    try
    {vertex_format_delete(_struct_scrollBar.v_format);}
    catch (e)
    {/*Value was NOT a vertex format!*/}
    finally
    {
        vertex_format_begin();
        vertex_format_add_position_3d();
        vertex_format_add_color();
        vertex_format_add_texcoord();
        _struct_scrollBar.v_format = vertex_format_end();
    }
    //reset all buffers
    var i = 0;
    repeat (array_length(_struct_scrollBar.arr_v_buffers)) //IF the new command is used, this is where the error is thrown because this array is never properly populated.
    {
        try{vertex_delete_buffer(_struct_scrollBar.arr_v_buffers[i]);}
        catch(e){/*The current buffer does not exist*/}
        finally {_struct_scrollBar.arr_v_buffers[i] = vertex_create_buffer();}
        i++;
    }
    //Colors
    //Skeuomorphic buttons have a pseudo-3d appearance. The left/top edges are brighter while the right/bottom edges are darker
    var colNonShadedEdge, colShadedEdge;

//Fonts
    //get previous font
    var previousFont = draw_get_font();
    var controlFont = CTRL_Font;
    //set font from main control font (buttons may override if user has so chosen)
    if (font_exists(controlFont)) {draw_set_font(controlFont);} else {controlFont = previousFont;}

#region Create Vertices
//Exhaustive series of variable assignments and values to create the scrollbar componets
#region Decrease Button
    //Button
    _struct_scrollBar.decrease_button.button_render_button                                = Decrease_Button_Render_Button;
    _struct_scrollBar.decrease_button.button_is_visible                                    = Decrease_Button_Visible;
    _struct_scrollBar.decrease_button.button_design_motif                                = _struct_scrollBar.design_motif;

//Many values are then assigned...
I welcome any constructive suggestions.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
SOLVED!!!

GML:
background_width
background_height
//ARE RESERVED WORDS!!!
There was no indication of this in the IDE. I changed these variable names after noticing that they changed color in my forum post and voilĂ !