OFFICIAL 2.3.3 Stable Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

chamaeleon

Having two issues with my 2 year project (imported from 1.4 several months ago) on newest version. I'll file a report in a few.
  1. Any audio files using Compressed - Streamed fail to load/play in-game. Switching to any other option works.
  2. All show_debug_message's don't work, under any circumstances.
  3. Lots of people on the GM discord are having the above listed Hint: <paramlist> = <param> [, <paramlist>] error.
I'd be curious to see a breakdown in OS version used when problem 3 is encountered. Something about not everyone having a commandline execution issue smells like an OS difference to me (but it could of course be something different).

Edit: I mentioned in some other thread I don't like seeing quotes nested in quotes, which may make the inner string in the nested quote suddenly be treated as it is outside the full string, instead of a part of it. But Windows/DOS has/has had some weird quote management, I think.

Last edited:

Crypto137

Yeah, background_width it's one of the forbidden struct variable names, and presumably also forbidden instance variable names. See this Manual Page for reference.

(I heard it's possible to use these names indirectly, i.e. by variable_struct_set(struct, "name", value) or struct[$ "name"] = value notation, but I didn't have an opportunity to test it properly yet)
Yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for help! Guess I'm in for some variable renaming. šŸ˜…

dT_

Something bad happened with argument0 ... argument15 variables. We have legacy scripts, which use these variables and now game crashes with Variable Object1.argument0(91, -2147483648) not set before reading it.

GML:
function Script1() {

show_debug_message(argument0); // no crash
    show_debug_message(argument[0]); // no crash
    show_debug_message(argument[0].object_index); // no crash

show_debug_message(argument0.object_index); // crash

}

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Something bad happened with argument0 ... argument15 variables. We have legacy scripts, which use these variables and now game crashes with Variable Object1.argument0(91, -2147483648) not set before reading it.

GML:
function Script1() {

}

Those legacy scripts should have been converted on import to put the argument names in i.e. this should now be

GML:
function Script1( argument0 ) {

}
the legacy behaviour is not fully supported now (in fact it should error when used) only the argument[] pseudo array is currently supported.

Russell

gnysek

It would be really good, if more people would download beta during it's period, as then all those bugs could be potentially prevented :) It's easier to check side-by-side beta version, than rolling back after stable release when project breaks :)

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Just to let you know that have released a new Beta tonight that fixes the following issues

Beta IDE 23.1.1.317 and Runtime 23.1.1.321
  • In-Game: Object tracks in a Sequence need to last beyond frame 1, otherwise their Create event is no longer performed in 2.3.
  • Sprite Editor: Unable to add multiple images at once
  • Undo [Room Editor] : Undo placing an asset in the Room Editor makes the IDE unstable
I would encourage those who have had the issues to download the Beta and verify that they are fixed - we will continue testing this version and release a hotfix once they are verified.

Russell

chamaeleon

With @rwkay indicating they're working on some new build, people who are experiencing the issue with building on Windows failing with the following towards
Code:
X://windows/Runner.exe  -game "Y:/..."

Executing:wmic process call create "X:\\windows\Runner.exe  -game "Y:\...","Y:\..."

Invalid format.

Hint: <paramlist> = <param> [, <paramlist>].
I hope at least one of you file a proper bug report. I don't see one listed in the known list of issues when building a project.

dT_

Those legacy scripts should have been converted on import to put the argument names in i.e. this should now be
Thank you for explanation. I don't know why, but some scripts were converted after migration 2.2.5 => 2.3 and some didn't.

Last edited:

Shut

Just to let you know that have released a new Beta tonight that fixes the following issues

Beta IDE 23.1.1.317 and Runtime 23.1.1.321
  • In-Game: Object tracks in a Sequence need to last beyond frame 1, otherwise their Create event is no longer performed in 2.3.
  • Sprite Editor: Unable to add multiple images at once
  • Undo [Room Editor] : Undo placing an asset in the Room Editor makes the IDE unstable
I would encourage those who have had the issues to download the Beta and verify that they are fixed - we will continue testing this version and release a hotfix once they are verified.

Russell
Tested the new beta, the issue is still there with the sequences. Create event is not being triggered unfortunately, also the instance track is 2 frames long so something else must be going on. If I stretch the whole track to start from frame 0, it appears to be triggered.

roknix

Just want to ask, where I can find the Beta? Under Betas at the YoYo Games Site I can only download an older Beta.

Thank you :)

AlanTalan

Hello, before the new version, my project worked fine, now I get this error, could you help me?
"For the details of why this build failed, please review the whole log above and also see your Compile Errors window"
"[17: 27: 57: 22 (4872)] Error: trying to deactivate an unregistered module. (Type of YoYoStudio.Plugins.CorePlugins.OutputWindows.DefaultOutputWindow)
[17: 27: 57: 23 (4872)] Discarding document SearchResults
[17: 27: 57: 24 (4872)] Error: trying to deactivate an unregistered module. (Type of YoYoStudio.Plugins.CorePlugins.OutputWindows.SearchOutputWindow)
[17: 27: 57: 25 (4872)] Discarding document SourceControl
[17: 27: 57: 27 (4872)] Error: trying to deactivate an unregistered module. (Type of YoYoStudio.Plugins.CorePlugins.OutputWindows.SourceControlOutputWindow)
[17: 27: 57: 31 (4872)] Error: trying to deactivate an unregistered module. (Type of YoYoStudio.Plugins.CorePlugins.AssetBrowser.AssetBrowserModule)
"

curato

Not really sure how stable this version is. I had a odd issue where an object worked before and I had to do something I shouldn't have to make it work again and then the undo is counter intuitive, I can't say I like it it is changing stuff I wasn't intending. Then I hit undo and the IDE crashed and I had to close the program.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I have confirmed that UWP YYC crashes on startup for certain projects, but not all. Haven't been able to replicate it on standard Windows YYC, though.

cdeveloper

This update has made it so none of my sound works, my sequence has an object where the create event isn't being triggered, so it errors out. I have a little more than a week before I need to release the final version of the game to Steam, before the game releases at the beginning of next month. I am not happy! I have created a bug report.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
This update has made it so none of my sound works, my sequence has an object where the create event isn't being triggered, so it errors out. I have a little more than a week before I need to release the final version of the game to Steam, before the game releases at the beginning of next month. I am not happy! I have created a bug report.
The bug with sequences and Create events is already documented, and a fix is now being piloted on the beta channel (23.1.1.317).

If you have an imminent Steam release and it relies on sequences, use GMS 2.3.2 if you can.

Andrey

Love the new inspector, and compile times are definitely much improved!
But for some reason my game seems to be running at (roughly) 30 fps now instead of 60 (It worked fine in 2.3.2)
The actual fps reported in the Debugger hasn't changed (around 800 fps), but I noticed in the profiler, that draw & step events are only being called about 30 times a second.
I checked the game options, and 'Game frames per second' is still set to 60.
I honestly can't figure out what's going on here.

Edit:
Original test was done in Windows VM, problem persists in Windows YYC.
Also tested macOS VM and HTML5, and they both run fine at the proper speed.

Edit 2:
Used Fraps to figure out the exact framerate and noticed it's rapidly flip flopping between 37 and 38 fps, which I realized is half of my monitors refresh rate (75hz display).
So I found that forcing my display to 60hz fixes the issue, as does disabling synchronization in Windows graphics game settings.
But this wasn't an issue in 2.3.2, and I figure this problem would be consistent with any monitors with refresh rates not divisible by the game's framerate.
Anyway hope this info helps, besides this hiccup, 2.3.3 is an excellent update, the per-asset undo is great, and I'm really looking forward to future Inspector updates
My fps does not increase above 45 (in window mode). Disabling synchronization in the settings does not help.

Last edited:

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
My fps does not increase above 45 (in window mode). Disabling synchronization in the settings does not help.
Try setting your sleep margin to a much lower value (recent windows updates have meant that this value can be lowered, possibly to 0) and update windows if you have not (I spoke to someone earlier who had not updated since 2019, that is a bad idea.

Russell

Andrey

Try setting your sleep margin to a much lower value (recent windows updates have meant that this value can be lowered, possibly to 0) and update windows if you have not (I spoke to someone earlier who had not updated since 2019, that is a bad idea.

Russell
Thanks!
Yes, I am seeing a problem on Win7. There is no such problem on Win10.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Just want to ask, where I can find the Beta? Under Betas at the YoYo Games Site I can only download an older Beta.

Thank you :)
I can see you have been given an answer already. but can you tell me where on our website you were being given an "older beta", please? (And if you did download an older beta that would immediately offer to update you to the latest release anyway, btw.)

For anyone else wondering how and where to get the Beta installers https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...w-To-Install-GameMaker-Studio-2-Beta-Releases has all the info.

Amon

I can see you have been given an answer already. but can you tell me where on our website you were being given an "older beta", please? (And if you did download an older beta that would immediately offer to update you to the latest release anyway, btw.)

For anyone else wondering how and where to get the Beta installers https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...w-To-Install-GameMaker-Studio-2-Beta-Releases has all the info.
I downloaded the beta which was not the latest from my YoYo accounts download section. I logged in to my account's Dashboard, selected view downloads and then picked the beta option which gave me an old beta.

roknix

I downloaded the beta which was not the latest from my YoYo accounts download section. I logged in to my account's Dashboard, selected view downloads and then picked the beta option which gave me an old beta.

@Dan I have also downloaded it from the beta section of the yoyo account area.

I dont know why I got the old version. Also there was no information about a new Beta. I bought GM on Steam. Can this be the reason?

Just to make sure I've also deleted the cache of the browser.

*Update:
I tried it again a few seconds ago. Now im getting the new Beta release.

Last edited:

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Yeah, so I did go and update the version number that page gives you a short while ago today - we had forgotten to do that with the Beta last night. Thanks for confirming you were looking at the correct place anyway ;)

However, yeah, that would have given you IDE 315 and then as Piotr says it should have prompted you on startup to download and install 317, just like a regular release tells you when there is a new version. If that bit is not working, then that implies you are perhaps firewalling the Beta install (as that would require setting your permissions independently from your regular GMS2 install). Check out the "Internet Access" section of https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us...missions-and-Internet-Access-Required-by-GMS2 and see if that sorts it for whenever we do the next Beta release.

If you still don't get any update notification whenever we do that next Beta release, send us a Helpdesk ticket with your Beta IDE's ui.log.

No, buying on Steam or not doesn't make any difference to whether the Beta would tell you that it had an update or not.

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Thanks!
Yes, I am seeing a problem on Win7. There is no such problem on Win10.
Ah! Windows 7 is a different beast and an important bit of information - ok have you tried the sleep margin changes I mentioned above as that should still work (though the impact of the scheduler change will be on all apps rather than just your app, but Chrome does this in any case) - let us know what happens when reducing the sleep margin.

Russell

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
That's a new Beta rolling out now - IDE v23.1.1.318 Runtime v23.1.1.322

As the release notes say, this one reverts the sequences change in 2.3.3, so you should find that all Create event issues with sequences/objects in a sequence are resolved now. It also fixes the issue with the Steam launcher and "wmic" errors if your project has spaces in the name (as mentioned elsewhere in this thread).

Shut

Just did a quick test with my project again. Everything seems to be working fine and stable, no issues here! Thanks a lot for the hotfix, very much appreciated. Hope we can see some other great new GM features soon.

kupo15

Glad to hear a hotfix is on the way, I'll probably download the new version when that arrives.
Hopefully you can sneak in that searchbar fix I bug reported if its a quick fix (pressing enter doesn't initiate a search when the searchbar is docked) xD

Andrey

Ah! Windows 7 is a different beast and an important bit of information - ok have you tried the sleep margin changes I mentioned above as that should still work (though the impact of the scheduler change will be on all apps rather than just your app, but Chrome does this in any case) - let us know what happens when reducing the sleep margin.

Russell
Thank you, Russell!
Setting the " Sleep marginā€ to 0 does not affect the fps in any way. Everything is also 45-47 in window mode.

By the way, are there any plans to completely stop supporting Win7? Now "Windows 7 with SP1" is still listed in the " Minimum Specā€.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Hopefully you can sneak in that searchbar fix I bug reported if its a quick fix (pressing enter doesn't initiate a search when the searchbar is docked) xD
Hehe, sorry - the release contents have been finalised for a while; it's only these few urgent bug fixes for things just broken in 2.3.3 that we're doing now. That issue you're referring to has always been the case since 2.0.0 ;)

gnysek

By the way, are there any plans to completely stop supporting Win7? Now "Windows 7 with SP1" is still listed in the " Minimum Specā€.
Theoretically, as Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 (including SP1) in January 2020, it's possible, that YYG will drop it also one day (probably after Windows 11 release, to maintain only last 3 major windows versions at once), but I think that this doesn't mean you won't be able to run IDE/games on this system and they may still offer bug fixes to it, as I don't believe there may be any breaking changes to IDE or Runners, which will work on Win 8/10/11, but not on Win 7, those systems are too similar in architecture. Probably that's why Win 7 is still on minimum requirement list - it's enough similar to Win 10, to be able to work without issues.

kupo15

Hehe, sorry - the release contents have been finalised for a while; it's only these few urgent bug fixes for things just broken in 2.3.3 that we're doing now. That issue you're referring to has always been the case since 2.0.0 ;)
Haha yeah I realize and submitted it back then too! I'm surprised it's still there šŸ˜‚

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Beta IDE v23.1.1.319 Runtime v23.1.1.323 is rolling out now. Just two fixes again.

Fixes the Image Editor's "Reverse Frames" command so this now works as expected again.

Fixes an issue on VM only where structs which were "self." or "global." and reused a function argument variable name gave a code error that the variable could not be found. E.g., this:

function testSelf(something) {
return self.something.val;
}

function testGlobal(something) {
return global.something.val;
}

self.something = { val: 10 };
global.something = { val: 20 };

resultSelf = testSelf(true);
resultGlobal = testGlobal(true);

kingyo

I copied and pasted an instance in the room editor and it created an instance with the same instance id name (e.g. inst_61F7EAAF).
When I run the game, I get some very strange errors in that instance.
For example, I get an error about a variable not being there when it should be.

Dan

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I copied and pasted an instance in the room editor and it created an instance with the same instance id name (e.g. inst_61F7EAAF).
Yeah, this one is a slightly older known issue - it's not a new 2.3.3 thing.

Fern

The work around for it is deleting the instance that you cloned from, and then going into the *.yy file for that room and finding all occurrences of that instance ID, and deleting them.

kingyo

The work around for it is deleting the instance that you cloned from, and then going into the *.yy file for that room and finding all occurrences of that instance ID, and deleting them.
I no longer know the instance ID as I have deleted the instance that causes the problem.
Now I don't get the strange error anymore. I will keep it for future reference. Thank you.

Fern

But I use latest version.
IDE v2.3.3.570
runtime v2.3.3.434
He was saying that this bug has been around for a long time and just hasn't been fixed yet. I've had this issue a few times over the past year, so it might be a bit before it gets fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.