1. Hey! Guest! The 32nd GMC Jam will take place between Feb 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and Feb 25th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback 16-bit-ish Penguin platformer

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by sitebender, Apr 15, 2018.

1. immortalx

immortalx Member

Wow that looks so polished! Hats off to you man

sitebender likes this.
  2. Psychoneiric Studios

Psychoneiric Studios Member

I really like the art style, nice job

sitebender likes this.
  3. sitebender

sitebender Member

Sometime 6 or so weeks ago marks a literal year this game has been in development, even if it's been inactive for over six months. On the plus side, I spent the weekend working on the project after a friend finally played it.

EASY ENDLESS MODE

I added an easy endless mode that takes out all the controls and leaves you with a single jump button. There's no run, no slow, no slide, just jump. In this mode, seals no longer instantly kill the player, but death pits and spikes will still kill the player. Oh and when the player gets low enough on health, there's a 50% chance that the power-ups will be replaced with ice cream cones for health. The easy endless mode might get pulled from the final game, but it gave me a chance to play the game in a new way that feels more mobile friendly, devoid of remotely complex controls and scoring systems.

A HEAP OF TWEAKS NEED TO BE MADE

The nameless penguin game will continue to sit on the shelf even when it's so close to being finished. The enjoyment just gets hindered here and there.

There are challenges and micro challenges that will get tweaked. These challenges are mostly survivals that have you surviving for X amount of seconds. The exploit was always the player can just wait out the clock in those challenges. To counter the exploit, if the player stands still for a second, the clock stops and turns red. This seems to confuse many people who basically want to outsmart the game. My friend suggested having saw blades chase the player if they stand still rather than stopping the clock, and that would work on running challenges, but there are other challenges where you're trapped in a single screen.

So I'll be tweaking the challenges to be different from survival and be more about collect X, jump over Y or smash through Z like the other challenges.

Beyond that, I just don't like the sound effects at the current moment. The Atari sounding effects sounded far better, even if more basic.

Siolfor the Jackal likes this.
  4. Siolfor the Jackal

Siolfor the Jackal Member

That's great to hear, dude. I was only thinking about this project the other day and wondering if it was still going!

sitebender likes this.
  5. sitebender

sitebender Member

It's not really going. It's just a time consuming project. As much as I want to wrap it up and call it done, my friends that play it want it to be a grander game like Super Mario World rather than the endless runner meets Super Mario Bros 1 that it is.

DIALOG BOXES:

These are different than other messages in the game. There are messages for the tutorial, an instructional message for controls whenever you start each level... but now there are dialog boxes. These dialog boxes can be tied to anything such as signs, enemies, NPCs and so on. Normally dialog boxes aren't a big issue, but since the game has a level creator, it was a long process to involve a method to edit dialog boxes in the editor. I prevented myself from going crazy with the functionality, but there's a lot of hidden functionality for the future.

The boxes were added mostly to remind the player of things via sign form. Sure there's a tutorial explaining everything and repetition, but a reminder is always good for an indie game so small that people will probably assume the game is broken.

[​IMG]

Here is the editor and the dialog boxes in action:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019 at 2:53 PM
    immortalx likes this.