• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

UWP 12 Months License

K

Kobold

Hello fellow Game Engineers.

Does anyone have an idea what the 12 Months License means for the XBox Upgrade and wether the Game can be developed in Windows Mode (Standart Permanent License) and then ported to UWP at any given time?
In the Purchase Table it doesn't tell you what the 12 Months License exactly means.
The game which I have started creating assets for has already taken me one year to get to the point of incorporating graphics for creating a decent controls script.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

JackTurbo

Hey Kobold,

UWP is actually a permanent license for $399. However while UWP can export to xbox it is (I believe) in a different store from the usual mainstream games and so would likely receive less exposure. There are also some additional hardware restrictions I believe, but I am not 100% on that.

The Full console export modules are subscription based and will allow you to get into the regular XBL digital download store and be considered a full xbox game, but has the bigger price tag and is subscription based

However, with most games (of console release quality anyway) taking multiple years to develop, you would probably be correct. Simply getting the desktop license to start with and only investing in the console export once the game is near completion for porting would likely be the most cost effective approach.

N.B - I'm not affiliated with either YYG or MS so don't take my advice as fact.

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
However, with most games (of console release quality anyway) taking multiple years to develop, you would probably be correct. Simply getting the desktop license to start with and only investing in the console export once the game is near completion for porting would likely be the most cost effective approach.
That is indeed the best way to go about things. :)

As for UWP, have a look over the helpdesk articles that we have on this, as they explain exactly what you need to do to get a game on the XBox using this export target: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/sections/115000309028-UWP

K

Kobold

Great! Thanks .

One last question to JackTurbo:
So, there is two licenses one which does not process into a "real/full" xBox worthy game, and one which does? Which one would compile the project into a full xBox image?

rIKmAN

Great! Thanks .

One last question to JackTurbo:
So, there is two licenses one which does not process into a "real/full" xBox worthy game, and one which does? Which one would compile the project into a full xBox image?
Using the UWP export would allow you to put your game on the UWP Store, and you own the GMS UWP licence forever.

To get onto the "official" XBox Store you need to be accepted onto the ID@Xbox program and use the GMS Xbox One export, which you only have access to for the 12mths the subscription runs for.

K

Kobold

So that is the 12 months licence of GMS2 ? Is the GMS UWP licence a different/separate Entity ?
I will need to first apply at the ID@Xbox ... and then it makes sense to buy GMS2, once my project is ready for Console-Testing?

So sorry for being annoying here, but this is very confusing... I have 3 variables here that keep my head spinning aside from reading the YoYoGames instructions, which I couldn't quite compare to what has been written here in this tread.

I am currently having these two things hovering in my mind:
GMS UWP licence $399 (valid forever)
and
GMS2 12 Months Licence $799

cheers

rIKmAN

So that is the 12 months licence of GMS2 ? Is the GMS UWP licence a different/separate Entity ?
I will need to first apply at the ID@Xbox ... and then it makes sense to buy GMS2, once my project is ready for Console-Testing?

So sorry for being annoying here, but this is very confusing... I have 3 variables here that keep my head spinning aside from reading the YoYoGames instructions, which I couldn't quite compare to what has been written here in this tread.

I am currently having these two things hovering in my mind:
GMS UWP licence $399 (valid forever)
and
GMS2 12 Months Licence $799

cheers
GMS2 UWP Licence ($399) will let you put your game on the UWP Store, and you "own" the licence forever.

GMS2 Xbox One Licence ($799) let's you put your game on the "proper" XBox Store but you need to be accepted onto the ID@Xbox program and have to go through much stricter certification. You only own the licence to use this export for 12mths, after which you will need to pay another $799 for another 12mth subscription to the licence.

You will "own" the GMS exports forever no matter which you purchase, except for the XBox One and Playstation 4 exports which are 12mth subscriptions and will need to be renewed and paid for annually ($799).

I believe the $1500 "Ultimate" pack is a 12mth subscription to ALL the exports, but you will own none of them and once the 12mths expire you will either need to renew ($1500) or you lose access to ALL the exports.

Dmi7ry

I believe the $1500 "Ultimate" pack is a 12mth subscription to ALL the exports, but you will own none of them and once the 12mths expire you will either need to renew ($1500) or you lose access to ALL the exports.
From this:
The Ultimate licence contains all licences (Desktop, Web, UWP, Mobile, etc.), but will only contain the console export(s) that you are registered for.

G

This came up in another thread... I emailed YYG, and all benefits provided by the $1,200 license only last for 12 months. You are not getting permanent licenses for any of the exports, only a license to use them.

Of course, any permanent licenses you separately purchase are unaffected.