1+1=3 Jam

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Sigh...

Matharoo presents

The 1+1=3 Jam!

Welcome to the 1+1=3 Jam! This jam is all about adding 1+1 to get 3. In other words, you must make a game that prominently features a mixture of separate game mechanics or elements. The possibilities are endless, and it's all up to you to unleash your creativity!

If this 1+1=3 rule confuses you, read this precise explanation by Barvix:

"I think 1+1=3 is symbolic for the date it starts on (Nov. 3rd), and how you're adding different existing mechanics together into something new. So rather than 1+1=2 (adding two mechanics to create something existing) you're mixing two to make something new and different."

Theme: WINTER

The jam will start on Friday, 3rd November and will last for a full week. The voting session will last for 12 days after the jam is over.

>JOIN HERE<

If you're taking part, then it is only better for you that there be more participants. You can help! Just put the above image and a link to the jam in your signature. ;)

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Looks good. I'm in... I think. (I didn't have to sign up again, so I guess my sign-up carried over from the first incarnation.)

GMWolf

aka fel666
I'm happy to see a new jam! but i'm a little confused:
aren't all games a mixture of different game features and elements?

regardless, If i'm not drowning in work, ill join!

D

Deleted member 467

I like it, I love it
Lemme see if I'll have time to join it, I really want to

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
I guess that's true, but I think the point is to go further. Make an intentional Juxtaposition of mechanics that are not usually seen together. Make something weird and experimental.
That's my understanding too. Like combining mechanics from different genres that don't normally go together.

EDIT: you just said that... and more elegantly.

Yokcos

jesus mayonnaise christ in a sidecar and a half this seems like a stellar idea. go bring this to itch.io or gamejolt or something too I wanna see millions of games in this here competition

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Well I guess I'll be joining this sheet to unleash my creativity and break the ever-lasting developer's block I got lately...

Hope to see you all there tooo ;)

Hyomoto

That is a hell of a 3 day request! I can't say I'll participate, but I can't say I won't! (full time career is full time)

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
What do you guys say if I increase the jam length from 3 days to one week?

EDIT: Increased the jam length to a week.

Last edited:
W

Widget

Yup, I'll be joining. Would be a good excuse to use some ideas I have floating in my head.

Edit: Aaand I just became busy, sorry. :S

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FROGANUS

This is on my radar- been meaning to do another smaller jam some time (and was bummed I didn't notice the last GMC jam).

Not sure I totally get the theme?
juxtaposition of different game mechanics seems simple, but does it require to 'not quite add up'?
I guess that's convenient if 'non-functionality' is part of the theme, since my jam games are always all broken..

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
juxtaposition of different game mechanics seems simple, but does it require to 'not quite add up'?
I guess that's convenient if 'non-functionality' is part of the theme, since my jam games are always all broken..
I don't think I get what you mean. The game should be a functional game, or it wouldn't even be a "game", would it?

D

Deleted member 467

I thought 1+1=3 was symbolic for the date it starts on (Nov. 3rd), and how you're adding different existing mechanics together into something new. So rather than 1+1=2 (adding two mechanics to create something existing) you're mixing two to make something new and different.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I thought 1+1=3 was symbolic for the date it starts on (Nov. 3rd), and how you're adding different existing mechanics together into something new. So rather than 1+1=2 (adding two mechanics to create something existing) you're mixing two to make something new and different.
You got it all right!

F

FROGANUS

oh, so the concept is more like.. 2 elements, combining to become even greater..
I guess I was just initially caught up on it being a 'wrong' equation, lol.
..and Nov. 3, okay, I'm starting to get it!

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
I silently joined the jam a while ago on itch.io, but I guess I'm officially joining in now. :)
Yay! :D

The jam is getting nearer, so it'd be great if you guys could share it in your circles to let more people know. You know, more participants = more fun!

M

Misty

Ah what the heck I'll join. But I'm warning you, my game may be crappy because I prefer jams with an actual theme and not just a restriction on gameplay elements.

Lord Undead

The jam date is getting near!
View attachment 13948

Get ready, because it's gonna be fun! :D
Oh boy and I still can't get this old computer to work since yesterday...
I have the other but it needs a fix cause it uses too much electricity due issues with the power supply
If only I had practiced necromancy and became a lych Instead of going to that useless skeleton knight training school I would have it alive again, should I attempt to study under that frankendude? Will I make it in time? Discover in the next chapter of...

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
The jam has started!

Theme: WINTER
(The theme is optional, but it might affect your rating)

Start jamming!

Unfortunately, I don't think I can actually do this one. My weekend is busy and so I'd only have the time after school to work on the game, and that's assuming I somehow have no homework. If I get something done I'll post it, but that's unlikely. Good luck to everybody! I'm going to be try my very best to do the next GMC Jam, though, and I'll play the games people submit for this one.

Lord Undead

My other computer is turning off for no reason (guess overheat cause it's damn hot in here right now) so... well if it gets colder I'll make it

And Imma draw the art in dotpic cause I got nothing to lose doing it

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Started on this yesterday. Not sure exactly where I'm heading yet. I've experimented with a few ideas: (1) combining breakout mechanics with an asteroid shooter, (2) combining a text adventure with platformer mechanics.

Not sure if these combos with lead to a fun game. But I'm hoping to submit something unusual -- even if it's mostly a tech demo.

Hope everyone is working hard.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
combining breakout mechanics with an asteroid shooter
Yo, that sounds cool.

Our game's 3 (as in 1+1=3) is made up of platforming + gunboots. The team consists of Jack Oatley and me, with Jack leading the project and doing most things besides programming, which I'm doing.

opot9.gif

L

LordThoorin

Cool, nice to hear about your projects guys! Can not wait to play your games!
When it comes to me and my game, I have to admit it is really exhausting, I am also worried that I will not be able to make the game in time. But I will try my best.

Micah_DS

Cool, nice to hear about your projects guys! Can not wait to play your games!
When it comes to me and my game, I have to admit it is really exhausting, I am also worried that I will not be able to make the game in time. But I will try my best.
Try not to worry much and just focus on having fun creating something. Even if you don't finish, you'll still gain experience and you'll likely get some very useful feedback as well.

As for me, I've only been able to brainstorm a bit so far. I was thinking about turn-based tower defense, but I kind of want to try Pac-Man mixed with pong or breakout. Still thinking on it though. I'll be able to start getting deep into it tomorrow.

L

LordThoorin

Try not to worry much and just focus on having fun creating something. Even if you don't finish, you'll still gain experience and you'll likely get some very useful feedback as well.

As for me, I've only been able to brainstorm a bit so far. I was thinking about turn-based tower defense, but I kind of want to try Pac-Man mixed with pong or breakout. Still thinking on it though. I'll be able to start getting deep into it tomorrow.
You are right! The main reason I joined the jam is to gain some experience, so either way even if I am not able to make it in time, I will gain the experience.

Cool, good luck with those games!

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Finally finished my entry. I decided to stick with the first idea of combining a text adventure with a multi-world platformer. In hindsight... maybe a poor choice. More like 1 + 1 = 0.5 o_O

Trouble is, I spent most of my time working out the code for drawing text and revealing it as the player walks around the various worlds. But I didn't spend enough time constructing *meaningful* text. So ultimately, it's just a multi-world platformer, with some text lining the pathways.

But it's still playable. And maybe with some work I can make it more interesting.

L

LordThoorin

Great. In last 5 minutes I had more or less finished game, when I wanted to upload it my computer crashed or itch.io did not work for me or whatever... that is amazing... I know it is my mistake, I should have sent my game sooner, but it is huge disappointment for me after so much work.

matharoo

manualman
GameMaker Dev.
Great. In last 5 minutes I had more or less finished game, when I wanted to upload it my computer crashed or itch.io did not work for me or whatever... that is amazing... I know it is my mistake, I should have sent my game sooner, but it is huge disappointment for me after so much work.
You can still submit. Just publish the game on itch.io like a normal game. Then send the link to me (if possible, send it on Discord).

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
You can still submit. Just publish the game on itch.io like a normal game. Then send the link to me (if possible, send it on Discord).
I almost missed the deadline myself. Not familiar with itch.io, so didn't realize I needed to make a game page to have my entry added. I figured it was like the GMC Jam, where we just post links in the topic. But I got it in time.

Anyway, your Jam went well. Looks like a fair number of submissions and some interesting entries. So on to the voting...

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
12 entries... I was expecting more, since 99 people joined!
Looking through the list of completed Jams, 10%-30% "submission / joined" ratio is fairly common. Some Jams get more, especially with generic themes. That allows people to resurrect existing games they've already worked on. But for specific challenges like yours, I'd say you did fine.

Bingdom

Googledom
I didn't manage to finish on time. I guess I can show off the progress that I've made here. :p
I was aiming to go with a platformer + shooter mechanic.