• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Studio 2 Hits And Misses

I

icuurd12b42

MISS: Shape Drawing, rectangle, circle, etc. should display the region size (width and height) in the status line

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Looks like the clicking it may be off by one or 2 pixels, it's enough, re-watching my video, to cause bad selection or caret positioning with the mouse multiple times, trying to click between characters, enough to gradually irritate people.
Thanks for mentioning this. I thought it was me... just being clumsy with my mouse. o_O But it's definitely noticeable when trying to insert the cursor into a line of code.

Not high priority on the fix-it list. But a fix would be appreciated.

S

sumofunk

MISS: Default size is too tall and you cant see the status line with the function parameters
That one will be painful as people try to learn the new functions.

MISS: Like the workplace, middle button is annoying to move the room around because that button is also the mouse wheel so, obviously unwanted zoom ins and outs occur when moving around
Does simultaneous left and right click work as an alternate to middle mouse button?
These two thoughts! I share them!
I really really think an option to make RMB+LMB trigger panning would be super smooth for GameMaker Studio 2 workspace environment.
Also, cached window sizes or the ability to set a different default size would be good, and in general a "shorter" default size for code window.

I

icuurd12b42

SUGGESTION: On the code editor or any window in the workspace.. double clicking the titlebar should maximize the code editor or that window and make it a tab next to the workspace. getting a little tired of moving the code editor into view to edit code in the workspace

Thanks for mentioning this. I thought it was me... just being clumsy with my mouse. o_O But it's definitely noticeable when trying to insert the cursor into a line of code.

Not high priority on the fix-it list. But a fix would be appreciated.
Yeah, it ruins the fluidity of your action. it's not something you can re-adjust to either because it this is part of the OS and every other app on the OS. you can't tell your brain-to-arm neurons, Hey, you are working in studio, re-adjust your neural net... same applies to the double click-activate and show and the slower double tap Change Name... this stuff should follow to OS exactly.

I would disagree on the priority. this is a 1 hour job for the proper caret positioning and a 1 hour job for the rename double tap. it is something evident to the user and therefore should have the most high priority

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
You can use "space+LMB" to pan around as well (like you do in Photoshop)

Click the maximise button to....well... maximise.
upload_2016-12-8_19-20-37.png

I

icuurd12b42

Yes, Mike... I have not used the Maximize and Normalize Button in 10 years Mike :) Double Click Title Bar is the way of the future :)

[edit] And BTW the clos and maximize button are never shown in the context I'm talking about.

upload_2016-12-8_15-3-54.png

And I do believe I mentioned where the maximized code window for the event should go... somewhere some time ago

Last edited by a moderator:
I

icuurd12b42

What makes it cluttered is the workspace and the multi-layer tabs and the darn room properties which is irrelevant for 99% of the time. but I do believe you can set it up to be as erea consuming as studio... move the resource tree over to the right so it; on the same panel as the room properties. In fact... TADA!

upload_2016-12-8_15-10-10.png

the actual loss of work area basically sums up to one line of code in the code editor.

GMWolf

aka fel666
What makes it cluttered is the workspace and the multi-layer tabs and the darn room properties which is irrelevant for 99% of the time. but I do believe you can set it up to be as erea consuming as studio... move the resource tree over to the right so it; on the same panel as the room properties. In fact... TADA!

View attachment 5090
Would still love to have full screen object properties. There are at least two threads with mockups out there. Would be great if YYG would reconsider :)

And yeah, being able to hide the room properties without closing the room tab would be fab.

I

icuurd12b42

Oh yeah, I forget to mention:
I would love the code box for the object event properties do come up with all the tabs loaded, in order, with every event that has code and activate the tab I'm interested in

upload_2016-12-8_15-22-56.png

and I would like the item in the workspace come into view, when I click them and they are clearly not at a workable position... Just like they do when you open them up in the first place

I

icuurd12b42

@icuurd12b42 This is more what I am talking about.

On the left I can play with as many code windows as I like simultaneously. But In GMS 2 I have to dick about with tabs and scrolling the workspace around the place. Much slower to dev in.
The comparison really depends on what you want to be looking at..in gms2 those 3 windows would be 3 tabs... as mine shows, 2 tabs for the 2 events.

But I do think that...
MISS: workspace should be able to do floating windows Better .... you can move things arround but the moment they touch anything it causes the workspace to recalculate and re-gridify everything
you should be able to detach the elements you are working with from the group it's in..

I managed to make a sortfof MDI with the windows I'm interested in here... but at great pains

upload_2016-12-8_15-46-16.png

I

icuurd12b42

yeah, the moment you double click a code it goes in a Code container and gets tabified alongside all the other code you doubleclicked. what I did for the above image was to drag each code on the worksheet.

I guess the Code Container should be smart enough to work like an MIDI. I think that would solve a lot of issues regarding workflow, because I'm with you on this, the coding wize aspect of GMS2 is much less streamlined than in Studio 2

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
If your out of space, why aren't you opening all scripts up on a full screen tab via the preferences? Especially for scripts?

Also, make your resource tree thinner - you've a lot of space to the right of the tree, shrink it if your not using it. Same with the syntax error window. You can get away with a single line showing (and that'll go in the next version as well), so why have it so large?

I

icuurd12b42

If your out of space, why aren't you opening all scripts up on a full screen tab via the preferences? Especially for scripts?

Also, make your resource tree thinner - you've a lot of space to the right of the tree, shrink it if your not using it. Same with the syntax error window. You can get away with a single line showing (and that'll go in the next version as well), so why have it so large?
Cool. You have to understand we don't know all the settings :)

Full screen for scripts works well for me
Full screen for object events not so much, single click opens the script and dismissing the code to go back to the object is not a thing... you need to navigate back re-clicking the object in the treeview or the workspace tab. Not really a big deal aside it not being as fluid as one would like. Though the system is neat, often time the content you are navigating through gets disassociated, like in this case.

MISS: The ui changes I made yesterday did not hold... I'm back to the room panel on the left and the resource tree panel on the right!

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
MISS: The ui changes I made yesterday did not hold... I'm back to the room panel on the left and the resource tree panel on the right!
Odd. The first things I did after getting GM2 was shifting the resource tree to the left (shared with the room editor column). And I shrank the output window. And both those changes remain whenever I re-start GM2.

The only change (so far) that doesn't "stick" is the text color for the output window. It reverts to gray -- but this was mentioned earlier.

C

CedSharp

Odd. The first things I did after getting GM2 was shifting the resource tree to the left (shared with the room editor column). And I shrank the output window. And both those changes remain whenever I re-start GM2.

The only change (so far) that doesn't "stick" is the text color for the output window. It reverts to gray -- but this was mentioned earlier.
Those changes remain for a project.

Try creating a new project, everything will be reset to the initial untouched GameMaker layout.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Those changes remain for a project.

Try creating a new project, everything will be reset to the initial untouched GameMaker layout.
Yes, you're right. I should have realized what @icuurd12b42 was talking about. My bad.

I'm in the habit of opening a "template" project with all my basics already in place. Been a while since I've selected the "new project" option.

M

Morne

HIT: Mike's YouTube channel remaking games in GM2 + All the help files (even with all the terrible spelling errors) + Tutorial system
Really happy to see GMS2 finally and thank you for all the hard work!

Wishlist:
Miss: [See image below] Events with descriptions is makes the Event Menu popup difficult to read (due to all white text) and With many events the Tabs Titles shrink to "... x" (not sure how to navigate tabs then)
Miss: If your GMS2 window is dragged over the event script and you then SPACE draw workspace it will resize Script and Event window sizes in the workspace
Miss: Image Editor - Missing Color Punch Tool + Effects (Glow, etc.)
Miss: Sometime IDE wont duplicate the same sprite (with sub images) more than once, unless you restart GMS2 IDE.
Miss: The DockTabs I cannot rename, unless I click a few times? And this frame takes up space above it. Compress it or make icons please, or remove it?
Miss: I feel D&D is hugely upgraded, but not Advanced Scripting workflow. Just give us a option to view all events in one script please inside an object.
Miss: I'd like to see better workflow enhancements. Like managing of sub images in Image Editor, auto selecting next image when keyboard deleting, etc.

After spending one full day with GMS2, after I imported a largish script heavy project. Which doesn't use any room editing nor design, since GMS1.x taught met to develop games without the room editor. Not sure how it will go now, since I have a huge depth layer array with the compatibility scripts, luckily I think most of my objects already accounted for in the game engine.

Looking forward to see the updates!

upload_2016-12-12_0-18-14.png

csanyk

You can change the code editor font size via the preferences. Change the "Default" one in Preferences->Text Editors->Code Editor -> Colours -> Default. This will change all code editor text sizes. Click "apply" the click a code window, and it'll use the new size (not sure why it doesn't change on just the Apply... but never mind).

Also, we do pick up DPI settings from windows, so if you have higher than normal DPI it should get that and scale things accordingly.

We can do the wheel thing, but I'm a little reluctant as it'll mean loading in a stack of fonts as you "roll" past them, and that will be painful and eat memory. But it is certainly possible.... I also really want to keep CTRL+WHEEL so that we can zoom while over a text window. If its used for the font, then we cant.

How often do you actually change the font size? I'd have assumed (wrongly perhaps) that you set a size and stick with it - more or less....?
I'd rather use Ctrl++/Ctrl+- for changing font size, and Ctrl+0 to return to default sizing. It's a common convention in many applications, and especially in web browsers, and is much quicker than going into Preferences and taking multiple actions to achieve the same result.

I don't change the size all that often, but one time when it is very handy to do it quickly/easily is when giving a presentation. Making the text big enough to be read by the people in the back of the room is a important.

I

icuurd12b42

the ctrl + -+ is good too, but definitely the ctrl+mouse wheel. I ctrl+mouse wheel zoom constantly

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
resizing the code editor font was added in the last version - same as 1.x, F7 and F8.

I

icuurd12b42

resizing the code editor font was added in the last version - same as 1.x, F7 and F8.
Thanks! I still have an issue with the workspace scrolling the text instead of zooming the canvas on ctrl+mousewheel. so I guess if you are not going to use ctrl+mouse wheel to change font, you should zoom the canvas at least...

I do prefer the mouse wheel for font resize, as I can change the font much faster. and as someone who changes font size 10 times a minute the f7 f8 method is pretty 💩💩💩💩e... No offense :)

So, I made this AutoHotKey script, it overrided the f7 f8 behaviour and add mouse wheel support. I could not override the ctrl+mousewheel. the hook's too deep. but it'll do. and it works like a charm

https://icuurd12b42.itch.io/tmc-gms-mod

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
There's an option in preferences to change from CTRL+Wheel to zoom, to just Wheel.

I

icuurd12b42

There's an option in preferences to change from CTRL+Wheel to zoom, to just Wheel.
Yeah, I've seen it, tried it too. I guess that explains why there is no workspace zoom when over the code editor.

I was hoping, with it off, I could capture ctrl+mousewheel but nope. I'm happy with my mod though, all considering.

Jobo

GMC Elder
it's ctrl+shift+F which I never ever heard of in 25 years of programming
Have you not used Visual Studio once in your 25 years of programming?? Or (the relatively new but really nice) GitHub Atom text editor? CTRL+F is the first place I look to Find & Replace inside a file and CTRL+SHIFT+F is the first place I look to Find & Replace across multiple files.

HUGE MISS: Replace All replaces everything in your project!!!
Well... Yeah... What did you think "Replace All" would do?

csanyk

Have you not used Visual Studio once in your 25 years of programming?? Or (the relatively new but really nice) GitHub Atom text editor? CTRL+F is the first place I look to Find & Replace inside a file and CTRL+SHIFT+F is the first place I look to Find & Replace across multiple files.

Replace all in the current document, maybe? Or in the current object?

I

icuurd12b42

Urgh, you missed the point entirely jeez
Replace All replaces all in the current file in c++
Replace All In Files replaces all everywhere in c++
The problem IS you dont have a REPLACE ALL. ffs, is it so hard to get that one would assume the Your Misnamed Search and Replace is at issue here?

upload_2016-12-16_15-18-46.png

Where does it say it replaces in all files?

I'm getting pretty effing sick and tired of helping you guys and being met with resistance and outright denial like for everything we report, actual problems, or simply trying to leverage what you have with what we expect. I mean you guys went all out on a new never seen before idea, you have to expect we are going to point out what is confusing, or plain old wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ubu

I'm getting pretty effing sick and tired of helping you guys and being met with resistance and outright denial like for everything we report, actual problems, or simply trying to leverage what you have with what we expect. I mean you guys went all out on a new never seen before idea, you have to expect we are going to point out what is confusing, or plain old wrong.
^ This.

M

mischa3

Miss: a general navigation window / map of your workspace to give you an idea of how your workspace looks like. If you've ever used Sublime Text you can see the window on the right side shows you 'where you are' in your code. Similarly in photoshop it gives you the full size of the canvas in a window.

Attachments

Miss: a general navigation window / map of your workspace to give you an idea of how your workspace looks like. If you've ever used Sublime Text you can see the window on the right side shows you 'where you are' in your code. Similarly in photoshop it gives you the full size of the canvas in a window.
Which looks like it is already on the roadmap (https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/231719448-RoadMap):
  • Minimap - Workspace and Room Editor

What is the purpose of adding /// @description to scripts? Does it actually come up anywhere? I know @param comes up on the status bar when filling out parameters, obviously, but I've never seen where the @desc comes up so I never use it.

Also I have one problem with the sprite editor, if you make a brush that has alpha, and you click and hold, the alpha doesn't add up. I tried to make a "fog" sprite by making a small brush with very little alpha, and wanted to just kind of scrub it around, but it ends up just filling up the canvas with whatever is the highest alpha. So you have to click a bunch of times and stamp them in. It would be nice to have a spraypaint tool, or whatever you would call that.