OFFICIAL GameMaker Studio 2: Available for Purchase!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jackhigh24

@CedSharp here's a quote from @Mike where he does not denie we lose it all he dosnt confirm it ether but with the you expect to get it all for free then seems im right
Okay... this isn't how it was coming over, your post (below) is pretty clear that you think when you buy the desktop module, losing all your other ones is bad - presumably thinking you should get them for free or they should just work.
so as you can see you do lose all your other exporters like i said, he does go onto to say but you can use your discount on them all as they become available but depending on when we lose them and when there coming available is why i asking that question that you think you seem to need to answer even though your not staff and don't know for sure.

there are a few other posts mike and others have said also that you lose your GMS1 as it is and only get said pro version that can only do what i said before, i will dig all the links up over time and show if needed, but @Mike and or other staff need to clear this up as there will be hell if im right and everyone thinks they can keep using there GMS1 unhindered after using the upgrade path as they cant, it will only be for a short limited time that they can.

rIKmAN

@CedSharp here's a quote from @Mike where he does not denie we lose it all he dosnt confirm it ether but with the you expect to get it all for free then seems im right

so as you can see you do lose all your other exporters like i said, he does go onto to say but you can use your discount on them all as they become available but depending on when we lose them and when there coming available is why i asking that question that you think you seem to need to answer even though your not staff and don't know for sure.

there are a few other posts mike and others have said also that you lose your GMS1 as it is and only get said pro version that can only do what i said before, i will dig all the links up over time and show if needed, but @Mike and or other staff need to clear this up as there will be hell if im right and everyone thinks they can keep using there GMS1 unhindered after using the upgrade path as they cant, it will only be for a short limited time that they can.
@CedSharp literally just posted the text from the official FAQ, but you still refuse to believe it?

We are not staff, but we do know for sure - it's in the official FAQ, how more "official" do you need it to be?

You will have to purchase the exports for GMS2, but will get a discount if you already own those exports on GMS1.

You do not lose the ability to use GMS1 or any of your already owned GMS1 exports when you buy GMS2 - even if if you upgrade.

If you are describing not getting the exports you own in GMS1 for free in GMS2 as 'losing them' then that is also wrong, as you have never owned the GMS2 exporters - you own the GMS1 exporters which you can continue to use as normal even when you upgrade / purchase GMS2.

You don't "lose" anything.

I don't know how to explain it any simpler to you.
as there will be hell if im right
LOL - lets thank the Lord you aren't right then, I'm not a fan of Hell - even if that is probably where I'm going! :D

J

jackhigh24

You do not lose the ability to use GMS1 or any of your already owned GMS1 exports when you buy GMS2 - even if if you upgrade.
but you do iv seen staff say so here in the forum, im still going through lots of past posts to find it, that so called fact you point to on the yoyo website does not say anything about being able to keep using gms1 in its entirety

What happens to my GameMaker: Studio license once I have used it to upgrade?

Your GameMaker: Studio license will still be valid and fully functional after it has been used to gain a discount on a GameMaker Studio 2 product.
this is just the studio licence and not exporters, if it is then it should be made clear, as i said before GMS1 you will get to keep, but it will be limited to just windows ubuntu and mac.

rIKmAN

but you do iv seen staff say so here in the forum, im still going through lots of past posts to find it, that so called fact you point to on the yoyo website does not say anything about being able to keep using gms1 in its entirety

What happens to my GameMaker: Studio license once I have used it to upgrade?

Your GameMaker: Studio license will still be valid and fully functional after it has been used to gain a discount on a GameMaker Studio 2 product.
this is just the studio licence and not exporters, if it is then it should be made clear, as i said before GMS1 you will get to keep, but it will be limited to just windows ubuntu and mac.
Nothing happens to it, you still own it and can still use GMS1 and all the exporters you own just like you do now.

The licence is just used to prove you own GMS1 and apply the upgrade discount, nothing is taken away or removed from GMS1 and you can use it just like you can now - it says exactly that in the official FAQ.

J

jackhigh24

Nothing happens to it, you still own it and can still use GMS1 and all the exporters you own just like you do now.

The licence is just used to prove you own GMS1 and apply the upgrade discount, nothing is taken away or removed from GMS1 and you can use it just like you can now - it says exactly that in the official FAQ.
i wish that was true but it clearly states here http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235626968 right at the top >>> you will get 1.X bundled as part of your purchase (the bundled 1.X has Windows, Ubuntu (Linux) and Mac export options only), <<< note the export options only.
so yoyo staff do need to clear things up and make a clear statement as its not clear.

EDIT
this might be a better way to put it
in the next 3 months GMS2 will be out of beta, as such access to GMS1 will be taken away as stated on yoyo games website, ok not so bad then, but then in the next 3 months my computer goes mad like windows can do often, i need to reinstall GMS1 but i cant as we dont have access to it and even if we did i could only get a vesrion that will be for windows ubuntu and mac, so in 3 months time i and anyone else in that situation could lose all there other exporters, see what im getting at.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

CedSharp

i wish that was true but it clearly states here http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235626968 right at the top >>> you will get 1.X bundled as part of your purchase (the bundled 1.X has Windows, Ubuntu (Linux) and Mac export options only), <<< note the export options only.
so yoyo staff do need to clear things up and make a clear statement as its not clear.
Imagine you DIDN'T have GMS1.4... That means that buying GMS2.0 will get you GMS1.4 FOR FREE.
It's a NEW LICENSE.

That means that if you already have it, you'll get a NEW LICENSE.
It doesn't say that YOUR CURRENT LICENSE WILL STOP WORKING.

Also, the NEW license doesn't come with the modules.
But the modules YOU ALREADY HAVE will stay yours.
The FAQ even says they'll keep updating them to keep up with android, ios and html5.

Now, you can continue to arg as much as you want, but the faq is facts. ( no pun intended )
You can arg all your life if you want, right now you're completly wrong.
Accept the facts and stop arguing please.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff

You are taking that quote out of context beyond recognition. The context of that topic was whether buying GM:S2 via the $60 GM:S1 discount path will automatically grant the buyer all exports for GM:S2 as they become available. The answer to this is no, as each export - for GM:S2 - will have to be bought separately, as they become available, with any discounts applicable to any individual user depending on the exports - for GM:S1 - they have already purchased. Whether this will result in the corresponding licenses becoming unusable never was the topic - although the answer for that is no as well, as stated by the FAQ other users have directed you towards already. Nobody ever mentioned anything about GM:S1 licenses becoming lost or invalid by using the discount, and this is not the case. Your licenses are not upgraded into anything. They grant you a discount. This means that your existing licenses remain unchanged.

these are questions for staff such as @rwkay @Mike @rmanthorp or any other staff that will clear this up, as others are just guessing.

the only thing i can find does not mention the upgrade path but does mention you get GMS1 with GMS2 but you only get Windows, Ubuntu and Mac exports so you lose the others for your GMS1 found that here http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/235626968 .
This is also taken out of context. The context of "Windows, Mac and Ubuntu exports only" is the following:
if you are a new GameMaker Studio 2 user, then you will get 1.X bundled as part of your purchase (the bundled 1.X has Windows, Ubuntu (Linux) and Mac export options only), but you will no longer be able to buy it, upgrade it nor create a new license for the Free version
This paragraph does not mention that any existing licenses will be changed anywhere - it merely states that new purchasers of GM:S2 will receive a 1.x license as described bundled with their purchase. For free. An addition. In other words, new users get a free GM:S 1.x license as described with every purchase.

Are you a new user? No. You are an existing user who is entitled to get a discount for GM:S2 because you own a GM:S1 license. This paragraph is completely irrelevant to you.

Also, please keep in mind that you are posting this on the GameMaker Community, not on the YoYo Games support forum or in a technical support ticket (which is your go-to contact for all licensing-related questions, anyway). If any YoYo staff member responds to topics here or even browses this community, they do so in their spare time (hah!). Expecting an official response when posting here is wishful thinking at best. If you're asking questions aimed at YoYo staff, this is the wrong place.

Read above - new licenses only, does not apply to you.

this might be a better way to put it
in the next 3 months GMS2 will be out of beta, as such access to GMS1 will be taken away as stated on yoyo games website, ok not so bad then, but then in the next 3 months my computer goes mad like windows can do often, i need to reinstall GMS1 but i cant as we dont have access to it and even if we did i could only get a vesrion that will be for windows ubuntu and mac, so in 3 months time i and anyone else in that situation could lose all there other exporters, see what im getting at.
"If you already own GameMaker: Studio 1.X when this happens, then you can still download it from the Licences page of your YoYo Account" - literally from the same article you linked to in the previous quote.

With all of that hopefully cleared up:

1. some time after GMS 2 comes out of beta we lose our old GMS 1 all together and can never use it again.
This has never even been mentioned to be planned to take place, as I explained above.

2. how long after GMS 2 comes out will you take away our GMS 1.
This has never even been mentioned to be planned to take place, as I explained above.

3. we lose stuff we paid for like tizen for ever as its not going in GMS 2.
Your GM:S 1.x licenses (this refers to main program licenses as well as export licenses) are not lost - they will remain usable regardless of whether GM:S2 is released or not, because "All presently held licenses will of course remain active and in effect".

4. we will never be able to update any games on tizen store if question 3 is true.
GM:S 1.x "will continue to receive support and patches to ensure that all platforms can be reached".

"Substantial advance notice will be given of any future plans to discontinue this support should that be considered at a much later date."
Note the should. There currently are not even plans for this.

Source for #3 and #4: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/13868/

This is all the community can tell you, and if it's not enough for you for whatever reason, please file a ticket with YoYo's official technical support

Last edited:
C

CedSharp

@jackhigh24 It took 3 people, including a moderator, to explain this to you. Hopefully you won't be arguing anymore.

Thanks, @TsukaYuriko , for taking the time to answer in so much details.

J

jackhigh24

ok that sounds a lot better put, but this bit you mention
"If you already own GameMaker: Studio 1.X when this happens, then you can still download it from the Licences page of your YoYo Account" - literally from the same article you linked to in the previous quote.
i take it you mean this from that page
I bought GameMaker Studio 2 while it was still in Beta, do I get copy of 1.X?

Yes! Once GameMaker Studio 2 is officially launched, simply log in to your YoYo Account and go to the Licences page. There you will be able to download 1.X. Once downloaded and installed, log in using your YoYo Account email and password to start using it.
but that does not say i can download a master version copy does it, so im assuming we will only be able to get that limited version with just windows ubuntu and mac, so il have to file a ticket then to see if that would be the case.

C

CedSharp

Yes! Once GameMaker Studio 2 is officially launched, simply log in to your YoYo Account and go to the Licences page. There you will be able to download 1.X. Once downloaded and installed, log in using your YoYo Account email and password to start using it.
but that does not say i can download a master version copy does it, so im assuming we will only be able to get that limited version with just windows ubuntu and mac, so il have to file a ticket then to see if that would be the case.
Ok, I already answered that.
The NEW LICENSE you get is not MASTER COLLECTION.
It's the equivalent of PRO without any modules.

but your CURRENT LICENSE will also be there, and it will be MASTER COLLECTION.
You will be able to download all the modules that you paid for.

In other words, on the download page, you will see 3 license:

- Game Maker : Studio 1.4 Master Collection ( your current license )
- Game Maker Studio 2 - Pro ( or whatever you pick )
- Game Maker : Studio 1.4 Pro ( the free license bundled with Game Maker Studio 2 )

If you download the first license, you'll get your modules, because it's master collection.
If you download the third license, you won't have the modules, because it's not a master collection license.

Is this easier to understand?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff

No, I mean literally the excerpt I quoted. Copy the text in quotation marks, switch to the article in question, Ctrl+F, paste - that's what I mean. The excerpt you quoted refers to new customers and therefore those who receive a free 1.x Pro + Windows + Mac + Ubuntu export license with their purchase - it does not apply to you. You will not use this free bundled license for 1.x; You will use your original license because it is not lost at any point during the process.

Also, please note that the installer for all GM:S 1.x license types is the same. Which license(s) you apply to it determines which additional exports will be downloaded and therefore usable. This is how it has always worked. There have never been separate downloads for different license types. If you can download GM:S 1.x, then you can apply any license you own to it.

B

barry hicks

I purchased it a week ago but it won't finish the install, opens the page and stops when it tries to install the runtime library....Any ideas?

JacPete

got gm:s2 now too. havent taken a big look at it at the moment, just wanted to support the product.

Last edited:
A

Alessio

I have a question, although i guess it was already anwsered somewhere. If i have a GM:S1 project, how much of backward compatibility will GM:S2 have? I know some built-in functions have changed (the infamous "instance_create") but, overall, i guess that, especially the new tile system may clash with the old one... or will it convert to the new one somehow?

C

CedSharp

I have a question, although i guess it was already anwsered somewhere. If i have a GM:S1 project, how much of backward compatibility will GM:S2 have? I know some built-in functions have changed (the infamous "instance_create") but, overall, i guess that, especially the new tile system may clash with the old one... or will it convert to the new one somehow?
Up to now, I've never had problems importing projects from 1.4 to 2.0.
Tiles are automatically converted, and the legacy scripts are imported ( a script that calls the equivalent so that you don't need to change all of them ).
The work you must to to import it is very limited, but of course it's not 100% perfect. But I'm sure you'll find it easy.

So, Out of curiosity, when how long will 1.4 be relevant? Will it be regarded as Legacy at any point in time soon?
They mentionned they didn't intend to drop support to 1.4. So it won't be regarded as a legacy anytime soon.
View it this way, GMS 2.0 is a different product, it's not a new version of GMS 1.4.
They did mention they will stop adding features to 1.4. BUT they will keep fixing bugs and they will keep updating the export targets to be up to date.

Shawn Basnett

Discount Dev
They mentionned they didn't intend to drop support to 1.4. So it won't be regarded as a legacy anytime soon.
View it this way, GMS 2.0 is a different product, it's not a new version of GMS 1.4.
They did mention they will stop adding features to 1.4. BUT they will keep fixing bugs and they will keep updating the export targets to be up to date.
Alrighty, Thank you. Glad to hear that.

M

Misty

I don't have an x64 processor and probably never will, so I would hope that GM2 becomes compatible with x86 sometime in the future.

hippyman

I don't have an x64 processor and probably never will, so I would hope that GM2 becomes compatible with x86 sometime in the future.
Then you're just being stubborn in accepting the fact that your computer is completely outdated. My laptop is almost ten years old and it has a 64-bit processor in it...

M

Misty

Then you're just being stubborn in accepting the fact that your computer is completely outdated. My laptop is almost ten years old and it has a 64-bit processor in it...
How common are 64 bit computers? How expensive are 64 bit computers? If I want to buy a cheap computer, will it come in 32 bit or 64 bit.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Most tablets and phones are 64 bit now, I think any computer costing more than $50 USD should be.

C

CedSharp

How common are 64 bit computers? How expensive are 64 bit computers? If I want to buy a cheap computer, will it come in 32 bit or 64 bit.
How common? Well, the new os that are getting out nowadays ( windows, mac, linux ) are all going to ditch 32bit...
That's how common they are.

Tthecreator

Your Creator!
Most tablets and phones are 64 bit now, I think any computer costing more than $50 USD should be.
I would like to add that most phones run an arm architecture, not an Intel x86 or x64 one. But yea it's true though that most computers are 64 bits now

Last edited:
K

Kuro

I see I can link my steam account and get the option to upgrade through your website right now. The question is, if I upgrade now, will I get a steam key for Studio 2 when it comes out of beta? Or should I wait for it to hit steam? I kinda like having things in steam since it reduces the amount of applications I have to reinstall every time I reinstall windows.

N

NPT

I see I can link my steam account and get the option to upgrade through your website right now. The question is, if I upgrade now, will I get a steam key for Studio 2 when it comes out of beta? Or should I wait for it to hit steam? I kinda like having things in steam since it reduces the amount of applications I have to reinstall every time I reinstall windows.
YYGs currently doesn't have any plans to release Studio 2 on Steam.

Lukan

Gay Wizard Freak
Also, it really doesn't reduce the applications you have to install... It just makes them dependent on another application that you have to install first...

K

Kuro

Also, it really doesn't reduce the applications you have to install... It just makes them dependent on another application that you have to install first...
There's a huge difference. If I do a fresh install of windows, install steam, and add my steam library on the D drive, then all of the game/application's files in that library folder are already installed in so much that the core files belonging to the application or game are already exactly where they want to be for the program to run. Worst case scenario steam might have to install a dependancy or two but this does not effect that fact that all the core files pertaining to that application are set up in a configuration that's ready to run. By contrast, installing a non-steam application involves an installer extracting files from the installer's archive to a temporary location, installing the dependences, and finally copying the core application files from the temporary location to the Program Files directory. Steam doesn't have to worry about 2 of those 3 steps and as a result is very quick to get back up and running after a reinstall.

C

CedSharp

There's a huge difference. If I do a fresh install of windows, install steam, and add my steam library on the D drive, then all of the game/application's files in that library folder are already installed in so much that the core files belonging to the application or game are already exactly where they want to be for the program to run. Worst case scenario steam might have to install a dependancy or two but this does not effect that fact that all the core files pertaining to that application are set up in a configuration that's ready to run. By contrast, installing a non-steam application involves an installer extracting files from the installer's archive to a temporary location, installing the dependences, and finally copying the core application files from the temporary location to the Program Files directory. Steam doesn't have to worry about 2 of those 3 steps and as a result is very quick to get back up and running after a reinstall.
You can do that with any applications, heard of USB or external hard drives ?

Yeah, any app works like that... almost.
GameMaker Studio is an exeption, but GMS2 should work like that no trouble.
I don't have steam for those apps, yet I have them with me all the time with my pocket external hard drive.
Never had any problems.

So what you said isn't different from a non-steam app.
The only real difference is that in steam, all your apps are grouped together in one UI.

In contrast, you need to be logged to steam to use an app.
You also need to have steam running. If I go on a pc where there is no steam, I can't run annything from the external steam library...

I rather have games in steam, and apps as standalone.

K

Kuro

You can do that with any applications, heard of USB or external hard drives ?

Yeah, any app works like that... almost.
GameMaker Studio is an exeption, but GMS2 should work like that no trouble.
I don't have steam for those apps, yet I have them with me all the time with my pocket external hard drive.
Never had any problems.

So what you said isn't different from a non-steam app.
The only real difference is that in steam, all your apps are grouped together in one UI.

In contrast, you need to be logged to steam to use an app.
You also need to have steam running. If I go on a pc where there is no steam, I can't run annything from the external steam library...

I rather have games in steam, and apps as standalone.
Sorry, I don't see what's at all equivallent about installing one thing and having immediate access to dozens of apps and individually installing applications one by one off a USB drive. But that's just me.

C

CedSharp

Sorry, I don't see what's at all equivallent about installing one thing and having immediate access to dozens of apps and individually installing applications one by one off a USB drive. But that's just me.
When you install steam, you don't have access to all of your stuff, you gotta install it... or plug an external drive that have them on it.

When you don't use steam, then you gotta install each app, once by one ( same as steam )...
unless you have such apps already installed on an external drive... ( same as steam )...

To me, 0 diffrerence other than steam-app forcing you to have steam installed and you're account linked.

K

Kuro

When you install steam, you don't have access to all of your stuff, you gotta install it... or plug an external drive that have them on it.

When you don't use steam, then you gotta install each app, once by one ( same as steam )...
unless you have such apps already installed on an external drive... ( same as steam )...

To me, 0 diffrerence other than steam-app forcing you to have steam installed and you're account linked.
Maybe if the windows Registry didn't exist, this Utopia you've been describing would be reality. All I hear is wishful thinking. Too many windows applications write stuff to the registry during installation for what you described to be utilised with any dependablity. I guess if you have a very narrow selection of programs, you could get by, but for most of us it won't take long before we're having to whip out the installers. I know In my case, having a steam library on a backup drive and never having to deal with seperate installers is the preferred choice, but each to their own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Filipp_BSG

Was going to upgrade from GMS1 Pro (with iOS, Android, HTML5 modules). As I understand, the new "Mobile" module includes both iOS and Android, so, in my case it's cheaper to buy the new one than upgrading my existing modules. Looks really unhonest.
upload_2017-2-26_12-42-55.png

Filipp_BSG

Ah, just discovered that it gives the discount for new Mobile module based on one of your previously purchased modules (iOS/Android). My fault, sorry, although on my screenshot it looks like you need to buy upgrades separately, which is pretty confusing.

C

CedSharp

Maybe if the windows Registry didn't exist, this Utopia you've been describing would be reality. All I hear is wishful thinking. Too many windows applications write stuff to the registry during installation for what you described to be utilised with any dependablity. I guess if you have a very narrow selection of programs, you could get by, but for most of us it won't take long before we're having to whip out the installers. I know In my case, having a steam library on a backup drive and never having to deal with seperate installers is the preferred choice, but each to their own.
This is the last thing I'll say, since I don't intend to arg about this forever, but none of the programs I use ( and I use a lot ) don't work on other computers.

Here is a small list of all the programs I have on my external drive, that I know works on other pc because I often bring it to a friend's place.
It doesn't require installing anything all all, the only downside is that sometimes I lose my settings ( programs usually save that in appdata, without letting you change it )
But I don't care about setting most of the time when I'm not home, and if I change my computer, well setting it up is kinda mandatory.

List of apps on my external drive :

K

Kazzerigian

Any news on when this is coming out of beta and when the discount pricing for us GMS: Master Collection owner ends? Thank you.

K

Kuro

This is the last thing I'll say, since I don't intend to arg about this forever, but none of the programs I use ( and I use a lot ) don't work on other computers.

Here is a small list of all the programs I have on my external drive, that I know works on other pc because I often bring it to a friend's place.
It doesn't require installing anything all all, the only downside is that sometimes I lose my settings ( programs usually save that in appdata, without letting you change it )
But I don't care about setting most of the time when I'm not home, and if I change my computer, well setting it up is kinda mandatory.

List of apps on my external drive :
54 is not a statistically significant sample size, Dr Piaget.
Dr Piaget was a psychologist who performed behavioral experiments on his children then generalised his findings as being applicable to all children everywhere.

C

CedSharp

54 is not a statistically significant sample size, Dr Piaget.
Dr Piaget was a psychologist who performed behavioral experiments on his children then generalised his findings as being applicable to all children everywhere.
Have fun not agreeing with my point and feel free to continue to limit yourself to steam.
No GameMaker Studio 2.0 for you I guess.

Was only trying to help.

My sample of 54 apps is basically all the apps I use and need on a daily basis or almost on a daily basis. Obviously you'll have different apps than me.

54 is a good sample compared to 1~6 children of one person.
Note that I also stated "none of the programs that I use"...
I never said it was the same for everyone and never generalized, I gave an example.
Feel free to think your argument is still valid tho.

A

AndrewCampbell

Just saw this and purchased today, used GMS to make 2 very successful apps on the IOS and Android stores. Excited to get started with the new / upgrades studio.
Is there an official release date for GMS2 to be out of beta?

-Andrew C

K

Kazzerigian

Just saw this and purchased today, used GMS to make 2 very successful apps on the IOS and Android stores. Excited to get started with the new / upgrades studio.
Is there an official release date for GMS2 to be out of beta?

-Andrew C
I'm curious what apps you had success with? I'm looking for the same information you are, still, sorry.

Thanks!

S

sharpie89

Is there a point in buying GMS 1.4? Or should I wait till GMS 2 master pack comes out?

K

Kazzerigian

Well, since an Admin has now spoken up, I'm guessing the unanswered questions mean there's no news.

Status
Not open for further replies.