What to do When Not Motivated to Make Games

T

Treecase86

Hey! I've been wondering what to do in my current position. I want to make games, but I'm not motivated to make them. Have any of you guys had this happen to you? If so, what did you do to battle this? I don't know what to do, recently, I've been playing games to try and get my mind off of making games, and just to have fun. Please help me get my love of making games back, GMC!

Sincerely,
Treecase

G

GhostlyFeline

Having motivation is good, but having the discipline to power through a lack of motivation is even better. Game development isn't all fun all the time, and in order to finish a game, you have to be able to work on it regardless. You're going to have good days, and you're gonna have bad days. However, seeing your game get better and better until it's finally finished is worth the struggle.

Another thing, figure out what you like doing, and build your game idea in a way where you spend most of the time on stuff you enjoy. That way, you can minimize how often you don't want to work on things.

J

JDSTIGER

I have this feeling every day but no matter how unmotivated I'll still do it, so just do it, that's your cure.

JackTurbo

I break down coding tasks into bite sized challenges.

Aiming for the finish line straight away is a sure fire way to fail. Taking one step at a time (and doing each step exceptionally well) pays off hugely.
I'm pretty new to dev-ing but this is some great advice for any big project.

I have a mantra when it comes to sizeable projects.

"you gotta make the bricks, before you can build the house".

A

Alessio

I felt unmotivated a lot trying to learn GML. And GML shouldn't be a hard language to learn. And probably isn't. But a lot of documentation is butchered and many who write tutorials or books have no idea who are they writing for. Or are just trying to grab notoriety, i dunno. The problem is when you ask for help and you get people who try to make GML seem C++ and start talking about things that are alien in C++: it's not fair! When talking about GML, speak me in "GML-ish", not in "C++-ish" because changes are that i don't want anything to do with C++ and want to stick with GML instead.

The reason is that pretty much everyone is not the same each other. Some use a program like this to get introduced to programmings, some other use it for prototyping (but, seriously, some i've read around the Web should quit raving thing like "Game Maker a prototyping tool cause C++"), others just want to make the game they want to make: if they want to make a 2D Mario, changes are they will use an IDE like Game Maker, for full 3D they'll use Unity or Unreal. Don't think that beginners think that they can make an Overwatch-like game in Game Maker: they're not so unprepared to that, they know Game Maker is used mostly for 2D games.

Another thing that made me feel unmotivated was the IDE. Not that making a decent game was impossible but using the previous room editor was a pain and that would make someone easily unmotivated. But at least, the new IDE that is coming out will be much better to work with and probably will remove that problem. At last, i've decided to wait for GM:S2 release before going further with Game Maker.

X

xleonhart

I swear you make this topic every other month.

Just build a plan and stick to it. Get frequent opinions on your work so people can see you do stuff and give suggestions.
Where can I ask for these opinions? Get feedback is the hardest part for me