Whats the most popular game made with gamemaker?

Jabbers

Hotline Miami was made in GameMaker 8. Crashlands and Hyperlight Drifter were made in Studio and have had media attention. Spelunky and Cook, Serve, Delicious also come to mind. They are all mentioned in the showcase here:
http://www.yoyogames.com/showcase

There are probably other games that you'll never hear about. Not everyone wants to shout about using GameMaker, and as the GMC is intended for hobbyists, you aren't likely to hear about professional projects except from successful entrepreneurial individuals (which are few and far between if we're talking about great financial success).

Nallebeorn

Undertale is probably the most popular and well known GM game. And that one is REALLY popular, or at least it was for a while.
wtf are you really that STUPID? Overwatch was NOT made in GM, it was made in Frostbite Engine (by Blizzard)!! And it is a very VERY good game, YOU'RE just not good.
I'm pretty sure Roa knows that... Jokes, ya know. ;-)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Undertale, definitely. Spelunky and Hotline Miami also had the moniker for a while, but Undertale has gotten unprecedented levels of popular.

F

fxokz

How did undertale of all games get pop? I watched some gameplay and it doesnt seem that amazing xd

G

GhostlyFeline

How did undertale of all games get pop? I watched some gameplay and it doesnt seem that amazing xd
Because it is meme game. And also some very solid game design and memorable characters.

Yokcos

Hotline Miami and Undertale both have about 2 million sales according to SteamSpy.
You also have Gunpoint, Nuclear Throne, Risk of Rain, Crashlands, Hyper Light Drifter, Luftrausers, Super Crate Box, Deadbolt, Nidhogg.

Depending on how you define 'popular', your answer is either Hotline Miami or Undertale

Because it is meme game. And also some very solid game design and memorable characters.
^That. And also Toby was already known for his contributions to Homestuck and his Earthbound hack so he already had something of an audience.

E

ericbomb

It's one of those games where no individual part is all that complicated. Anyone after doing the tutorials could make a fight very similar to what you see in game. But it's the variety of the fights, how well balanced they are, the atmosphere and the story all coming together is what sells it.

E

ericbomb

Haha oh hush genocide and pacifists runs are basically challenge modes, with genocide being the harder of the two.

J

JDSTIGER

I'm sure there are a lot of games that don't mention they were made with GM that are very popular.

Reactions: Roa

Changgi

When I mention Game Maker, all people ever know are Click the Clown, 1945, and Undertale, so I'd say those three.

In fact, before Undertale came around, my classmates think (I stated this once in the old GMC forums, I think) GM is only capable of making those other 2 games so they were quick to dismiss games I make in GM to be just clones of them.

Last edited: