OFFICIAL GameMaker Studio 2 Is Here

DukeSoft

If you bought Master Collection when it released you should have more than gotten your money worth out of it. If not, that's your fault. If anybody around be complaining at all it should be people that paid full price like last month, but still, you have no room to complain. It's a new product, new price.

They are giving you 40-50% off, what more do you want. The only thing I think that would truly make you guys happy is if it was free . You guys are ridiculous . They are running a business not a charity.
Hmm, I guess then that I will not buy it and not submit a dozen of bugs with carefully written explaination and example files.
I guess I will just wait for GM:S3 and buy GM:S2 for 10$ from the Humble Bundle in a few months.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
From what I've seen toying around in the Beta:
  • Works just like GMS1 with tons of new features, so it shouldn't be too hard to adapt. The biggest change is the layout (XOMG THE RESOURCE TREE IS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SCREEN INSTEAD OF THE LEFT) but a lot of the big changes make sense since they improve consistency.
  • The new DND system seems pretty nice, but I still feel like I struggle to use it since I have to look for appropriate actions to do anything. Definitely gonna stick with GML.
  • Really liking how similar GML2 is to GML1.
  • Really liking how stuff are 'autosaved' constantly so you don't need to worry about closing tons of windows before you can test something and then have to reopen them again if something needs tweaking.
  • New graphics editor is four-asterisk-ing fantastic.
  • A lot of stuff I've been wishing for and one thing I suggested in a suggestion box topic has been added. Squee! *__*

Llama_Code

Hmm, I guess then that I will not buy it and not submit a dozen of bugs with carefully written explaination and example files.
I guess I will just wait for GM:S3 and buy GM:S2 for 10$ from the Humble Bundle in a few months.
It's either a luxury hobby product , or product you can make that money back with 100 times over with professional use. If you don't want it, can't afford it, or just don't need it, that your own decision .

With the bug reports you really just around like a 3 year old throwing a tantrum over a new toy.

I'm sure it will be years before you see a GMS 2 HB. But they best way to save money is to wait.

rIKmAN

They will be releasing updates for that same old engine, wheels, fuel pumps, - BUT ONLY if the car has that new interior.
GM:S1 will still be getting updated for a significant time yet - not just months.
Why do I have to buy the complete new car when all that has changed is the interior?
Erm..you don't?
They aren't forcing you to upgrade, you can choose not to.
Answer is simple: the humble bundle. There's people who paid 10$ for the same stuff and support as i've paid $799 for. Now I'm going to get treated the same as the people who paid 10$? I've been here since GM 4.0.
How long have you had the stuff you paid $799 for compared to the HB buyers, and how new was the software when you got it?
I'm guessing a period of years compared to 2-3mths - so you paid more to have a brand new just released product.
Early adopters always pay more than someone buying something near it's end of life, and that goes for anything - food, clothes, cars, electronics etc.

As someone else said if you haven't produced anything in that time to make that investment worth it then that's on you, you could have just bought Pro before you decided to buy the Master Collection (or Pro + modules) to see what you could create before deciding you needed all the export modules.
Hmm, I guess then that I will not buy it and not submit a dozen of bugs with carefully written explanation and example files.
I'm pretty sure everyone who reports a bug writes an explanation and tries to provide a reproducible example if possible.
Was GM:S on a HB months after it released?
My advice would be to stop sounding so entitled, you are making yourself look childish and silly.

H

HammerOn

I don't really care about the price. When we buy a commercial software, we are supposed to get the money back with the work you do with it. I did so in the first week I bought Master Collection years ago.
  • Really liking how similar GML2 is to GML1.
This is.... a problem!
No major GML improvements?

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
@DukeSoft The hunble bundle from september was a hook to bring new customers. Marketing. The good thing is that you won't lose what you already have. I really whish you the greatest deal. (799$ (USD omg it's 1069.72$ CAD) is a lot of money.) I hope it was a profitable investment and sold a lot of game or a least had a lot of fun creating it.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Guys, if you bought 1.x Master collection, you still have it, it still works. This is what paid for, this is what you have. You do have a bigger discount than others. No one on the Humble Bundle got Master Collection, they got lots of modules, not MC.
This is a new product, a huge effort with lots of blood sweat and tears poured into it - years in the making, and your still getting a massive discount for something you purchased YEARS ago. So please, be realistic, you're getting a huge discount, you do not have to update, you can keep using the product you purchased.

There is no headless mode as yet.

GML changes, there are some, with LOADS of function updates and additions - please read the FAQs : http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/categories/204246668

Spine and SWF is still there and fully supported. Spine has been updated, and a new event added.

H

Harrk

I've bought the engine, the steering wheel, the wheels, the interior, the fuel pump, the whole car, back when they started with the new model for about 799.99.

Now they've taken the exact same car, but built a new interior with some new functions. The engine, wheels, fuel pump - everything is still the same.
They will be releasing updates for that same old engine, wheels, fuel pumps, - BUT ONLY if the car has that new interior.

Why do I have to buy the complete new car when all that has changed is the interior?

Answer is simple: the humble bundle. There's people who paid 10$ for the same stuff and support as i've paid $799 for. Now I'm going to get treated the same as the people who paid 10$? I've been here since GM 4.0.

I love the product, I really do, but if this happens, it kind of makes me feel like being scammed.

I KNOW this is just speculation, and I hope YoYoGames will provide a suitable solution for people that are in this same situation.

If I were YoYoGames, I would've gone with a subscription based model. Discounts for previous owners. I would be happy to pay 150$ a year to use GM:S and the updates. It would also generate a nice income stream for YYG, whereas they now don't really have one.
I completely agree with you, it is infuriating getting the same treatment as somebody who got the product for peanuts. We supported Yoyo by giving them our business from the beginning and being rewarded for loyalty would be nice. However, when we bought our copies of GMS - we knew what we were buying. No scams, we got exactly what we paid for and we've had it for the longest time. Would I pay $799 now for a product that will soon become unsupported? Of course not.

Yeah, it'd be nice to be rewarded for loyalty, but we're not entitled to it. We're already getting an awesome discount so I can't argue any further.

Now there are some issues with this pricing model, one being forced to buy a possibly inflated price of the mobile model because you get iOS and Android together. I respect they're trying to simplify the product, but could I be paying more for something I do not want because it's still included regardless?

rIKmAN

From what I've seen toying around in the Beta:
  • Works just like GMS1 with tons of new features, so it shouldn't be too hard to adapt. The biggest change is the layout (XOMG THE RESOURCE TREE IS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SCREEN INSTEAD OF THE LEFT) but a lot of the big changes make sense since they improve consistency.
Can you move the resource tree using the dockable/draggable features of the IDE or is it locked?
Spine and SWF is still there and fully supported. Spine has been updated, and a new event added.
Is the new event Spine 'events' or something else?
What version of the runtime (and thus Spine editor) is it updated to?
Will this Spine update be made available for GM:S1?

Last edited:
A

alpha_centauri

New product, new price. It's fair. We should be glad they offer us a discount. It's business.

I have a Toyota Corolla 2013. Awesome car. (7.0L/100km don't know in miles)
The new 2016 model is super but they don't want to give me a discount on it. Man! I own a Toyota for 12 years!
;)
Same product, different UI, more expensive, plus no longer supported.

Comparing software with cars is a bad way to make a point because they are completely different things. But, lets go for it. Toyota has a car...air bags are faulty... Toyota recalls the airbag...fixes it...send you the bill for the price of the whole car... sounds fair right?

Posho

IT'S HAPPENING

Multi-Column Event Editing looks like a cool feature for those who work a lot on the go or only have one screen. Not too sure what to think about the Hierarchical Workflow though, I'm kinda used to my window/pop-up mess when working.

Also, seriously thank you for the price reduction on people who already got licences. Still a shame that I'll need to rebuy all my licences, but something's something I guess. Too bad I wasn't fast enough to join the beta. I'll stay alert.

Looks like Switch support is not confirmed once again. Bummer...

SWF is still there and fully supported
BLESS YOU!

Last edited:

11clock

Are there now definable scopes for variables and scripts? I hated variables all being public and all scripts being accessible by any object (global). And it is also important that scopes be organizable.

This would be enough to warrant me to switch back to GMS from Unity.

J

J_C

I've bought the engine, the steering wheel, the wheels, the interior, the fuel pump, the whole car, back when they started with the new model for about 799.99.

Now they've taken the exact same car, but built a new interior with some new functions. The engine, wheels, fuel pump - everything is still the same.

Well actually you have to buy the new car without discount when they release a new modell of the same car even if owned the previous model, so bad analogy here. :p

But I get what you are saying. Hoping Yoyogames will figure something out.

C

Christoffer Karlsson

Guys, if you bought 1.x Master collection, you still have it, it still works. This is what paid for, this is what you have. You do have a bigger discount than others. No one on the Humble Bundle got Master Collection, they got lots of modules, not MC.
This is a new product, a huge effort with lots of blood sweat and tears poured into it - years in the making, and your still getting a massive discount for something you purchased YEARS ago. So please, be realistic, you're getting a huge discount, you do not have to update, you can keep using the product you purchased.

GML changes, there are some, with LOADS of function updates and additions - please read the FAQs : http://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/categories/204246668

But the discount will only be for a limited time even if we have MC ? so we need to buy everything right away?
When will we be able to export to pc / desktop? :)

GMWolf

aka fel666
Same product, different UI, more expensive, plus no longer supported.

Comparing software with cars is a bad way to make a point because they are completely different things. But, lets go for it. Toyota has a car...air bags are faulty... Toyota recalls the airbag...fixes it...send you the bill for the price of the whole car... sounds fair right?
Yes, but if you own a toyota car, you dont get all future toyota cars either.
YYG would make no money if all future product they create where made available for free fo all current owners.
Dont get me wrong, i would like it to be free for me too, but its just not how business works.

F

FabioF

will you support in the future other vector images besides SWG?

A

axa993

Are we going to get an official end-of-support date for 1.4 anytime soon?

On the topic of buying the software again: I'd understand you guys asking us to pay for the GM:S itself again, like the full price for the Pro edition. But why pay for the modules we own once again? That's what makes the least sense here if you ask me. Also, merging Android and iOS into one module was unnecessary. At least give us an option to purchase only one of those or both at the discounted price.

funkygallo

IT'S HAPPENING

Multi-Column Event Editing looks like a cool feature for those who work a lot on the go or only have one screen. Not too sure what to think about the Hierarchical Workflow though, I'm kinda used to my window/pop-up mess when working.

Also, seriously thank you for the price reduction on people who already got licences. Still a shame that I'll need to rebuy all my licences, but something's something I guess. Too bad I wasn't fast enough to join the beta. I'll stay alert.

Looks like Switch support is not confirmed once again. Bummer...

BLESS YOU!

About console new exporters will come at 2Q 2017. I hope will be switch, 3ds and ps vita too

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
What "All paid products will also receive access to GameMaker: Studio 1.4 Professional for a limited time only." means ? @Nocturne , @Mike ?
When buying GameMaker Studio 2, you will also get a license to GMS 1.4 bundled with it - for a limited time.

But the discount will only be for a limited time even if we have MC ? so we need to buy everything right away?
The discount will last for some time - just not forever. It's not going to be a few days then DONE!

But, lets go for it. Toyota has a car...air bags are faulty... Toyota recalls the airbag...fixes it...send you the bill for the price of the whole car... sounds fair right?
I'll tell you what.... If a GMS 1.x bug ever actually kills you - directly, I'll fix the bug and personally refund your widow. (this may be a lie)

Seriously though guys, as new stuff comes out, the old "model" goes on sale. Look at steam sales. You can buy old games for a FRACTION of the cost of it new. Do you ever expect to get the next version free, or even a discount? No.

DesArts

I find it funny people are complaining about the price. Watched every video, looks grand by the way.

I'll be getting a discount which is great but it's still worth it at full price.

1: It's better. MUCH better. - It's quite obviously worth it for people who want to make money, and I feel it's targeted more towards those people anyway. I was more than willing to pay a subscription even, it being a standalone payment is just extra nice! I wouldn't even compare this to GMS1. It's completely different (although I'm glad the code has stayed relatively the same).

2: Previous software really doesn't count. - I know they are giving a discount to people who own GMS1, but even if they weren't it shouldn't matter at all. Like I said it's worth the money regardless of whatever amount you or whoever else paid for a previous version (oh yeah that's right, its not a previous version, its completely re-written). That shouldn't even matter AT ALL, it was the customers choice to buy that then and it's their choice to buy this now. Do it or don't. Feels like more of an excuse/winge to save a buck more than an actual complaint.

3: Support YoyoGames! - Simply another small reason I personally justify the payment. They have developed a far superior product, it's worth much more than even it's full price if you are making money from it, customers should feel blessed they get a discount (even if the actual product price is double that of the previous - that's just how it is deal with it) and as well as the product you support the people who make it (Obviously. Some might not care about this, but since they provide daily support on the products, and update them frequently, provide this community, etc - it's definitely a point to consider).

Discounts shouldn't be expected, they should be appreciated.

I hope I don't sound like a fanboy, I simply see no legitimate complaint here.

The system requirements remind me how outdated my PC is; I've been doing all my development on 32-bit XP (with the intention of also exporting to the consoles). I wonder if my game would benefit from what Studio 2 has to offer. I'll keep my eye on this over the following months.

I've been working on my FPS since 6.1 was the latest. If the content wasn't so vast to create I would have settled on a particular version!

O

OneOnline

I have a question. I first bought a professional. Then I bought Android, Ios and HTML5. Now I have "Android Export, HTML5 Export, iOS Export, Tizen Export, Windows Export, Mac OS X Export", lacking only the Windows Phone Module. If I buy it, I will be able to receive GMS-1 Master Collection and then upgrade to the GMS-2 MC?
Or is there any other ways to upgrade to the GMS-2 MC?
And yet, when will the "Console module" it will be free? If yes, for all GMS2? Or just to MC?

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Never Mind

I knew there would be a nice nodal feature and I think it will be a big deal. I mentioned that I saw it in the #Time2MeetYourMaker thread but nobody seemed to be too excited about it.

JaimitoEs

I don't really care about the price. When we buy a commercial software, we are supposed to get the money back with the work you do with it. I did so in the first week I bought Master Collection years ago.

This is.... a problem!
No major GML improvements?
Not really a problem, GML language still the same, but the engine is rewrited in other language,(Java?javascript?C?C++?). So, is for that i had asked for possibility to write in an alternative language on scripts.

H

Harrk

Does the pricing of the console branch bother anyone else? The fact that the price isn't listed could mean that Yoyo haven't finalised the supported consoles? I'm wondering if they're withholding the price until they have a confirmation on Switch support.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I will be able to receive GMS-1 Master Collection and then upgrade to the GMS-2 MC?
Sorry, you'll "only" get the 40% discount.

There isn't actually a GameMaker Studio 2 "Master Collection", you buy the module packs you want. But your discount will count against any module purchase you make I believe...

11clock

So anything on a feature for definable scopes? In GMS all variables had to be either global or public, and all scripts had to be global. Scopes are necessary for object-oriented programming.

Lack of definable scopes was the second biggest issue with GMS.

funkygallo

Does the pricing of the console branch bother anyone else? The fact that the price isn't listed could mean that Yoyo haven't finalised the supported consoles? I'm wondering if they're withholding the price until they have a confirmation on Switch support.
The console export are FREE only for licensed developer. You can't buy

G

Guest User

I saw the tweet about GMS2 this afternoon and I will admit to joining the beta and getting the download (although I'm super new and still working on my very first game and no doubt other people deserve it far more)

From what I've seen so far (as a total newbie) I love it and I especially love the new image editor.
Since I own GMS pro, I should be entitled to the discount and that makes it very very tempting indeed.

Can we pre-order right now or do we have to wait for the beta to finish?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
All this hype and shennanigans for an allready closed Beta?
More slots will open up over time - keep an eye out on social media for news about them.

The consoke export are FREE only fir licensed developer. You can't buy
No, they aren't.

Can we pre-order right now or do we have to wait for the beta to finish?
Sorry, you need to wait till the end of the beta.

JaimitoEs

Bit disappointed actually. Was really excited to see "GM2 is here!". But it's not...

All this hype and shennanigans for an allready closed Beta?

Remember, the Marketplace? Two years old now and it's still in Beta.

Hopefully it won't be 2019 before the rest of us commoners get to try this out. :(
Same here.. looking GMWolf videos to look the engine.

DukeSoft

Okay, you're right. I might be overreacting a bit - my apologies. I did have the software for well over 2 years and i have enjoyed it a lot (and the support and regular updates). The 50% discount is indeed a lot and is actually very generous.
If bug fixes and general support will still be there for GM:S, and it won't crash out on licensensing servers going offline or something like that - I'll be fine.

From my point of view it just looks like a GUI update which I dont need, which you labeled GM:S2. Yet that is an assumption from my end, and i might be terribly wrong, but this is how I'm interpreting this. I just don't use the sprite editor, room editor, or need that node-drag-n-drop thingie. I want typehinting, classes, methods - maybe this is part of my dissapointment and "tantrum".

I must however say - why are you not going towards a subscription model? Isn't it better for every party to have a subscription? Then I'm not paying 800$ in one blow, and you're receiving funds yearly (or monthly). Should even be better regarding taxes (at least here in the Netherlands). I understand this causes issues for the "modules" (e.g. buy the license, compile a bunch, remove the license) - but if its a yearly subscription model this won't be that big an issue.

Anyway, whining apart - congrats on the new GM:S, I hope for you guys that this ship sails well.

B

Braffolk

What's up with this?

I can't buy it but I can't try these out in the beta either.

I have 0 shader resources in there.

Roa

Yeah, its all pretty great. Yoyo team really pulled through on this and its actually a bit more than I expected.

I only have one complaint really and its not so much about the price, but the quality of content on the html5 export specifically. I'm really curious as to why anyone would want to buy it because it doesn't seem anything aimed at html5 has been improved directly? Im not saying this to sound snoody and stuck up, don't misunderstand me. Im just not sure what people get out of studio 2 html5 export that they don't get with studio already? What justifies the price? Does it allow better shader support or finally have integrated websockets or something? Is it noticeably faster?

IDE is 64bit only (you need a 64bit OS to run it on)

Currently the Runner is 32bit (mainly for compatibility) but we are looking for feedback and if 64bits Windows Runner is something that is wanted/required we want to know

Russell
Oh course it is :p Was already talking to someone about the memory limitations

JaimitoEs

@Braffolk

You can not reach more in beta because Yoyogames do not want you feel a laggy experience....:) itĀ“s a joke;)! waiting at 23:00 to get a signal of more available slots....