• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

OFFICIAL GameMaker Studio 2 Is Here

DukeSoft

So, let me get this straight:

- The engine / script / object based setup is still exactly the same.
- There is no introduction of real objects that can contain methods (var player = new Player(); player.doThis();)
- The UI has been completely overthrown and now uses the node setup instead of a list view to walk through objects like we're used to
- All new features and bugfixes for the compiler / engine itself will come in GM:S 2, GM:S will no longer be supported
- I paid 800$ for the master suite, and now I'll have to pay 500$ again to maintain support?

Jees, this sounds great.

B

benface

Very cool guys. Just a question... is better OOP on the roadmap? By that I mean instance methods. That was honestly my greatest hope for GM:S 2...

B

benface

Yeah I mean I would be OK if it was on the roadmap for version 2.1 or something. But that sounds like something that should've come with the big revamp.

A

alpha_centauri

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel that the upgrade price is terrible. Sure it seems like this is a rebuild from the ground up, but it seems like the biggest thing with GMS2 is that it finally fixes the ongoing issues of GMS1.x.

I purchased GMS within the 1st year of it coming out and got the Master Collection for $599....now I get to $524 for the upgrade? That's not a good deal at all, and I feel that those who purchased Master Collection (not on Humble Bundle) should have a more decent upgrade price. I think it will also be beneficial to YoYoGames to provide a better discount to these specific users because there will be a need to have more quality marketplace items.

m0zzy

Looking at the 'Road Map' is going to be march 2017 until its out of beta anyway .. i think it might be better concentrating on my game and GM:S for now ...

G

gamible

Looking at all the comments and they're like "Posted yesterday" because it's just turned November 2nd lol

Z

Zandooma

Is there a way to port games we have been working on into GM studio 2?

C

Chinafreak

Look good overall! I was excepting for other language support such like C#/C++/JavaScript (I miss class in Game Maker! :( ) but okay, GML is fine, too.
Is there an "window"-mode for workspace? I don't like the blueprint like from Unreal, this is the only reason I'm not interested to buy the new Game Maker: Studio 2.0 (I would buy Master Collection. :S) otherwise I'm good with the old Game Maker: Studio.

I'm wondering if Parakeet is going support this new Game Maker: Studio 2.0 :D

spacerobot

Are there any change to room transitions? Are there any included in GMS2 or do we need to program them like in GMS1?

G

Galladhan

What a sweet surprise! I couldn't try the beta, yet, but i really appreciate everything i saw and read in the links posted by @Nocturne, especially the IDE structure, the tile system, the camera/views system and the compatibility scripts. Amazing job, YoYo!
Day one for me. =) *starts saving

T

Tenten2016

Damn, that's intense, I feel for ya on that. =/

I don't know about anyone else, but I feel that the upgrade price is terrible. Sure it seems like this is a rebuild from the ground up, but it seems like the biggest thing with GMS2 is that it finally fixes the ongoing issues of GMS1.x.

I purchased GMS within the 1st year of it coming out and got the Master Collection for $599....now I get to $524 for the upgrade? That's not a good deal at all, and I feel that those who purchased Master Collection (not on Humble Bundle) should have a more decent upgrade price. I think it will also be beneficial to YoYoGames to provide a better discount to these specific users because there will be a need to have more quality marketplace items.

T

Tenten2016

Will GM: 2 support 3d games more easily?

I'm also looking forward to the PS4 and Xbox One exports!!!! Even if they're going to cost about 500 or 1000 something dollars.

J

J_C

Will the GM2 Professional come with the default features GM1 does? Meaning:

Fully-Featured Engine
Royalty-Free
Marketplace Buying
Player Export
Desktop Exports Windows Only
Customisable Splash Screen
Early Access
Marketplace Selling

H

heyimdandan

The only thing I'm interested in is - does 2.0 make use of all the processing cores of the CPU rather than just the one in 1.x? Also, will Windows exports be 64-bit?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Will the GM2 Professional come with the default features GM1 does? Meaning:

Fully-Featured Engine
Royalty-Free
Marketplace Buying
Player Export
Desktop Exports Windows Only
Customisable Splash Screen
Early Access
Marketplace Selling
There is no "Pro" version anymore. Instead you get different licenses depending on the targets you want to use: Desktop, Mobile, etc... You can see the pricing and features here: https://www.yoyogames.com/get2

T

thaaks

I agree 100% here!The new GMS looks pretty cool with interesting and tempting new features. But I also paid around 500$ in total for the Master collection and paying that amount once more is no option for me. Hopefully YoYo considers changing their upgrade price strategy. Early master collection owners paid quite a lot of money and invested a lot in YoYoGames in money and trust. They shouldn't be ripped off for their support...
Just my 2 cents. Time will tell.

J

J_C

There is no "Pro" version anymore. Instead you get different licenses depending on the targets you want to use: Desktop, Mobile, etc... You can see the pricing and features here: https://www.yoyogames.com/get2
Yeah I get that, but those tables are not saying anything about the features I mentioned.

For those complaining about the prices, I think those developing for the PC get a great deal. I mean, 100 dollars (50-60 if you upgrade) is a fantastic price compared to the 150 dollar of the Pro version of GM1. The other licences like mobile and UWP are a bit steep I agree, but I always assumed that the bigger chunk of the developers concentrate on Windows/Mac/Linux.

J

Jaqueta

The only thing I'm interested in is - does 2.0 make use of all the processing cores of the CPU rather than just the one in 1.x? Also, will Windows exports be 64-bit?
On the "minimum system requirements" page, you can see that you NEED an 64bits compatible CPU alongside an 64bits Windows OS, and also, a DX11 compatible Graphics Card instead of the DX9 as it were before. So...Yes? ish?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
IDE is 64bit only (you need a 64bit OS to run it on)

Currently the Runner is 32bit (mainly for compatibility) but we are looking for feedback and if 64bits Windows Runner is something that is wanted/required we want to know

Russell

H

heyimdandan

On the "minimum system requirements" page, you can see that you NEED an 64bits compatible CPU alongside an 64bits Windows OS, and also, a DX11 compatible Graphics Card instead of the DX9 as it were before. So...Yes? ish?
Do you have a link to the minimum requirements? 64-bit is one thing, multithread support is another!

H

heyimdandan

Currently the Runner is 32bit (mainly for compatibility) but we are looking for feedback and if 64bits Windows Runner is something that is wanted/required we want to know

Russell
Multithread support would be great - 32bit or otherwise. It seems mad having an i7 processor and your game buckles with the CPU only running at 15%.

aamatniekss

Oh wow, looks brilliant from the videos! Sadly didn't get into the beta, hope I can catch any of the other spots later.
I'll probably switch to GMS2 as soon as the full version comes out, despite my initial thoughts of sticking with GMS for a while more.

Really happy that it's a one-time purchase!

J

Jaqueta

@heyimdandan I was talking about the 64 bits but, it's a no, unfortunately.

I would love to get 64bit as an option, most of the people who have a DX11 compatible GPU, does have a 64bit OS as well, even budget laptops already come with 64Bits Windows.

Oh welp

Ehsan

Pirates vs Clones
Just have one question: can you use your licence keys for exports modules on gm:s 2? I think not, but just making sure(*and have hopes*)...

H

heyimdandan

@heyimdandan I was talking about the 64 bits but, it's a no, unfortunately.

I would love to get 64bit as an option, most of the people who have a DX11 compatible GPU, does have a 64bit OS as well, even budget laptops already come with 64Bits Windows.

Oh welp
I can live with the games being exported at 32-bit. The game I'm in the middle of creating struggles on a single CPU core at some points in the game. I think I'm really pushing GM to the limit in terms of all the things I'm doing with objects running at once. Maxing out a single CPU core when the other seven are virtually idle is madness. No matter how much code refining I do there is always slow down at some point. I was hoping GM 2.0 would go some way to address this - otherwise it won't be cut out for creating really ambitious large 2D games.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
The game I'm in the middle of creating struggles on a single CPU core at some points in the game.
Really? Even with YYC? I've never come close to hitting it, and I've done full C64 and Spectrum emulation.... got videos of it? (not to derail the topic or anything though...)

rIKmAN

Russell
Editor looks like a massive improvement in terms of usability, I can't say much else as I missed a beta slot - but I do have a few questions:

1) What is the performance hit between a "DX11 compliant card" and a "DX11 based card" (min / recommended specs) when running GM:S2?
2) I don't see anything mentioned regarding Spine support - is this going to be available in GM:S2?
3) Is the "big Spine update" that YYG staff have been mentioning for the last couple of months still going to be released for GM:S1 or only GM:S2?
4) Will the UWP Exporter include support for using your own XB1 in "dev mode", and if so will this also make it to the GM:S1 UWP Exporter?

(edited out questions answered elsewhere)

Last edited:
C

Christoffer Karlsson

So, let me get this straight:

- The engine / script / object based setup is still exactly the same.
- There is no introduction of real objects that can contain methods (var player = new Player(); player.doThis();)
- The UI has been completely overthrown and now uses the node setup instead of a list view to walk through objects like we're used to
- All new features and bugfixes for the compiler / engine itself will come in GM:S 2, GM:S will no longer be supported
- I paid 800$ for the master suite, and now I'll have to pay 500$ again to maintain support?

Jees, this sounds great.

I agree 100% here!The new GMS looks pretty cool with interesting and tempting new features. But I also paid around 500$ in total for the Master collection and paying that amount once more is no option for me. Hopefully YoYo considers changing their upgrade price strategy. Early master collection owners paid quite a lot of money and invested a lot in YoYoGames in money and trust. They shouldn't be ripped off for their support...
I agree with the above, it feels that we are the loosers here

M

MrHassanSan

Looking at the 'Road Map' is going to be march 2017 until its out of beta anyway .. i think it might be better concentrating on my game and GM:S for now ...
March at the latest, if YYG's quarters are the same as most companies (At my job we work with some clients with weird end-of-quarter dates)

A

alpha_centauri

You are right it was $499 not $599...still a lot of money. I mean I understand only giving humble bundle users a slight discount but those who have been here for the long haul should be compensated differently.

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
New product, new price. It's fair. We should be glad they offer us a discount. It's business.

I have a Toyota Corolla 2013. Awesome car. (7.0L/100km don't know in miles)
The new 2016 model is super but they don't want to give me a discount on it. Man! I own a Toyota for 12 years!
;)

I

icuurd12b42

Is there any chance the android module be sold separately, or any of these modules for that matter. I don't like the android+iOS 399 Bundle, I don't give a flying toaster about iOS. Feels like the sort of bundles satellite providers come up with to force something no one wants and arbitrarily double the cost of the single item you need...

Llama_Code

If you bought Master Collection when it released you should have more than gotten your money worth out of it. If not, that's your fault. If anybody around be complaining at all it should be people that paid full price like last month, but still, you have no room to complain. It's a new product, new price.

They are giving you 40-50% off, what more do you want. The only thing I think that would truly make you guys happy is if it was free . You guys are ridiculous . They are running a business not a charity.

DukeSoft

I have a Toyota Corolla 2013. Awesome car. (7.0L/100km don't know in miles)
The new 2016 model is super but they don't want to give me a discount on it. Man! I own a Toyota for 12 years!
;)
I've bought the engine, the steering wheel, the wheels, the interior, the fuel pump, the whole car, back when they started with the new model for about 799.99.

Now they've taken the exact same car, but built a new interior with some new functions. The engine, wheels, fuel pump - everything is still the same.
They will be releasing updates for that same old engine, wheels, fuel pumps, - BUT ONLY if the car has that new interior.

Why do I have to buy the complete new car when all that has changed is the interior?

Answer is simple: the humble bundle. There's people who paid 10$ for the same stuff and support as i've paid $799 for. Now I'm going to get treated the same as the people who paid 10$? I've been here since GM 4.0.

I love the product, I really do, but if this happens, it kind of makes me feel like being scammed.

I KNOW this is just speculation, and I hope YoYoGames will provide a suitable solution for people that are in this same situation.

If I were YoYoGames, I would've gone with a subscription based model. Discounts for previous owners. I would be happy to pay 150$ a year to use GM:S and the updates. It would also generate a nice income stream for YYG, whereas they now don't really have one.

A

Alessio

I have a question. It's known the GM:Studio used Xinput for gamepad implementation and for gamepads that weren't Xbox ones there were joypad button functions.

Now, the joypad functions will be obsolete. Does this mean that Game Maker:Studio 2 will be only compatible with Xbox gamepads?