• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Forum Game Mirrorlands (Roleplaying game)

L

Law

MIRRORLANDS

A hopefully short, mostly user-driven roleplaying game.

SETUP:

Players start as a character with no memories, no items, and 1 objective: Find a mirror.

Upon the discovery of a mirror, the player will only then be allowed to describe their appearance, which will be added to their information log. As the game progresses more objectives will be decided, and completing each objective will give them another piece of information about their past, what this information is will be up to them to decide. Find your name and address in an old database? The power will be handed over to the player to decide what that name is, and where they used to live. Piece by piece players will build their characters, all the while uncovering the mystery of their past, a mystery that they themselves get to create.

There will be a max five players, to signup, post one thing: a location. I will pick locations that can match each other, so while the universe doesn't have to be modern-day, if one of you wants to wake up in a castle, and the other in a spaceship, I may end up only being able to pick one of you. I'll give it a few days before starting the game, let's say 2.

There will be no dice or stats for the roleplaying, it will mostly be collaborative storytelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

roytheshort

A Pirate Ship (It can be a Space Pirate Ship if the plot demands it.)

Reactions: Law
G

Guest User

Under a tree in a forest, about 50m away from a village.

L

Law

Renamed to Mirrorlands because I think that's more exciting.

A note, you can within reason, "remember" skills for your character. I know this doesn't make a lot of sense, but it will make the game more exciting, if you can remember your character, e.g., received piano lessons, or is trained as an assassin.

E: Due to constraints Kous I may have to make your tree 51m away from the village is this OK?

G

Guest User

When do we start? Looking forward to it, this seems exciting.

L

Law

Might as well get things started!

Final note: I strongly recommend, if you can, to read other player's parts, so that you can coordinate the story you are building with their stories. Though obviously, it's my job as GM to try and stitch this into a cohesive narrative no matter what strange new plot points you lot throw at me.

PART ONE: GOBLINS

Roy
I was invited to my friend Jack's house for a lord of the rings marathon. I'm not very good at one-on-one interaction, I prefer groups, where I can sit in the background, only speaking when I think of something to say. When there's only two of you there's more pressure, I feel like I have to work to be interesting. Except with Jack. You see in all respects Jack WAS a group of people. He spoke like a group of people, talking for minutes on end uninterrupted, covering every side of an idea, as if in argument with himself. His catchphrase was "but then again", he could say it six times in a single sentence. "X but then again Y, but then again..."

He drank for a group of people, too. I remember, he'd bought three bottles of Sainsbury's basics rum, one for me, two for him, (though most of mine was his also) and was claiming to have invented a new kind of shot. What you did was, took a shot of rum, then snort a line of salt off the table. Or maybe it was the other way around. I can't remember. Either way, he persuaded me, somehow, and after two of these I promptly threw up into the waste paper basket. And it was there, laying on my back in his dingy apartment, head spinning, mouth tasting of vomit, the smell of salt and rum in the air, that Jack crawled over to me and whispered, "Law, I need to tell you about goblins".

Anyway the reason I bring this up is because the way I felt then is probably pretty similar to the way you feel now, except you've also got the hot sun beating down.

You open your eyes. Black sails are rising above you, above that, a clear blue sky. Rolling your head to the side, you see a rough wooden deck and a railing, and beyond that, the perfect blue ocean. You sit up. You're on a boat. You need to be sick. Climb to your feet and stumbling over to the railing, hurling into the water 15 meters below. Thunder cracking in the distance, you look up. 100 meters away, storm clouds brew. A cold wind blows in, the sails are creaking and the whole boat rocks.

You could do with some rum, perhaps you should try and find some?
Objectives
-Find a mirror
-Consume rum
Information

Merc
My first girlfriend left me because of my name. True story, this. See my parents called me Lawrence, I'm not sure why, irony, probably. My parents are ironic people. I hated it, of course, so when I moved home from sunny Hertfordshire to rougher Norwich, I changed my name, and began introducing myself as Sam.

I met a lovely girl Mary when I was 17, she had just moved from Texas and every time she spoke we'd all laugh at her accent, so she didn't speak. I never spoke either, so we thought the natural thing to do was date. The dates were terrible, I remember us both sat silent across from each other, stewing with hormones. Anyway, things began to fray, as they do, and what words we did say became gradually less positive. And this whole time, I hadn't told her I wasn't called Sam. Even my parents called me Sam, I'd almost forgotten I was anything else. And after 3 months it felt awkward to mention it so... 4 months in, she saw my passport, and flipped out. Apparently I didn't communicate enough with her. Which is fair.

That was a memory of mine. You don't have any of these, so sorry if it seems like I'm flaunting. You also don't know your name. But you wake up looking at one:

JON MALCOM

And underneath that name.

By Robert Biggs

It's a book, and probably quite a good one because an image of it has been painted onto the ceiling - Sistine Chapel style. You sit up.

Bookshelves are towering around you, surrounding on all sides. Literally. You're imprisoned within a square of bookshelves. Far more curiously, there is a lamp in here with you. You look up again.

Very curious to paint the cover of a single book onto the ceiling. Especially given that this book - JON MALCOM - has a completely plain cover.

Anyway, first question, how do you get out of here?
Objectives
-Find a mirror
-Escape the prison of bookshelves
Information

Lukas
When I was six I wanted to be a chef, so I snuck into the kitchen at midnight and started playing with the knives, cutting up herbs like I'd seen my Mum's TV chefs do. And I must have got too excited because next thing I know my finger's come off and I'm covered in blood. The doctors put the finger back on again, so it was all OK, but my poor parents were absolutely terrified at my midnight dismemberment. I was 14 before they let me watch another cooking programme.

Anyway the reason I bring that up is because the amount if blood I as covered in than is nothing compared to what you're covered in now.

You're soaked in blood. Beneath you, your victim is laying, four feet tall, black skin, huge yellow eyes open, a knife sticking out of his skull. You try to stand and your head hits the ceiling, you're in some kind of wooden cabin built for a child. Child-size desk, child-size bed, a single child-size door and a window. Out the window you see ocean. A breeze blows outside and suddenly the whole room is rocking, you're on a boat. You can hear tiny footsteps above you like rain. There's a knock of the door.

You stay still.

More knocking.

"Cap'tin!" Screeches a voice outside, "Cap'tin, we need you on deck!
Objectives
-Find a mirror
-Evade danger
Information

Yockos
When ever someone asks me where I used to live I say Norwich. This is a lie. I lived in the village of St Martin's just outside of Norwich. The problem with admitting this is that every good English man knows that "I'm from a small village just outside of..." translates to "I'm so painfully middle class I probably bleed hummus", and this is true, I mean not the hummus bleeding but I am middle class, I'd just rather not admit it.

Anyway, the reason I say that is because this town you've woken up in reminds me of my home. It doesn't remind you of anything, of course, but that's because you have no memories.

You're lying on your back in the middle of an empty street, it's a shopping street, dotted with a small collection of charity shops, beach gear shops, and quaint café's. In one direction you see a beach, in the other a large, new building that seems terribly out of place. It's a lovely sunny day. There's not a soul in sight.

You stand and wince, you're completely barefoot, and this tarmac is intolerably hot. You ought to find yourself some footwear.
Objectives
-Find a mirror
-Find some footwear
Information

Kous
When I was little me and my family were chased across a field by an angry cow. We ended up hiding behind a blackberry bush until it went away. I remember this because since then I've been... Well I wouldn't call it phobic, just healthily cautious of members of the bovine genus. The kind of healthy caution that admittedly, does involve a lot of screeching and running away.

So if I had woken up where you did, laying under a tree in the middle of a forest with a cow stood threateningly over me, its udders a mere few inches from my face, I'd have probably freaked out. Fortunately, you are not me, and you are not afraid of cows. You have no phobias at all in fact, because you have no memories to base them off of.

You crawl out from underneath the cow, which really doesn't seem to mind, and observe your surroundings. You are indeed, deep inside a forest, a forest that appeears to have been flooded with some very lost-looking cows. You're fairly confident cows should not be in a forest. Perhaps you should investigate.
Objectives
-Find a mirror
-Figure out why the forest is full of cows
Information

G

Guest User

[Nice stories, by the way~ Good job :3]
I'm intrigued at why the forest is full of cows. I see a village nearby so I decide that I should go there and ask around.
I head off in the direction of the forest and reach the village; it's walled around and the gates are shut, probably because it's nearly midnight.
I have a look at the walls; made of stone, they're about 4 metres high, almost no way to get over them. It's a similar case for the gates; made of a shiny metal material, they're also around 4 metres high. They're locked with a firm padlock, key nowhere in sight. There's barbed wire over the top of the gates.

Looking around, there's apparently nothing I can do; so I make a relatively comfy sleeping spot and go to sleep. Hopefully the gates will be opened in the morning.

L

Law

Kous
You find a vaguely comfortable spot, shadowed by the wall, and sleep.

My friend Jack has this amazing ability to sleep. Given any location, (and if needed, a few cans of cider) and he'll be out like a baby. I, on the other hand, can't sleep anywhere other than my own bad and even then I'm restless. "It's because you're a pampered ponce," He used to say to me, "When you sleep rough on the streets of London like I did, you learn to sleep anywhere."

Jack had slept rough on the streets of London exactly once, when after coming out of a club he had taken a wrong turning, and found himself in a park instead of a tube station, before passing out. This story would embarrass most people, Jack instead took it as a symbol of his manliness.

I say this because you like Jack seem to be able to sleep through anything.

You are awoken by a cow sniffing your hair, trying to work out if you are grass. Climbing to your feet, you are once again struck by how devoid this place seems of any human life, you find the metal gate is unmanned, and even when you shout there is no reply. How peculiar.
Objectives
-Find a mirror
Info

R

roytheshort

I sit in a corner and think about all the mistakes I've made in life, like I usually do when I'm drunk.

G

Guest User

Having been awoken, there's no luck at getting into the village. However, as I notice a singular bull among the cows; I get a crazy thought.

Long story short two minutes later the gates are bashed open by an angry bull. I can now get into the village, but I face the problem of the bull.

I race into the village with the demonish bull hot on my heels. Luckily for me there's a ladder propped against someone's wall; I climb onto their thatched roof. The bull snorts at me madly and knocks over the ladder.

After two hours it still shows no signs of leaving. Occasionally it rams its head against the wall, probably trying to get the building to collapse.
(Other guys! We need your actions!)

Lukasmah

The person tries to share some character knowledge with the player knowledge. The player, of course, is fictional, and maybe it's not the right time for make-believe, but... Oh, who are they kidding? It's always the right time for it, even when it's not.

They try to "reveal" if they know who the captain is. Share their knowledge with the imaginary player controlling their actions. They don't know much about who they are, but maybe they know something about other people. The imaginary original post said "no memories", but that probably doesn't mean literally no memories because they wouldn't remember what a window is. Or the sea. Or anything, really.

None of this makes sense and they're just wasting their time.

Last edited:

Yokcos

I make my way over to the charity shop with the name that comes first alphabetically, to ask if they have any shoes available. Of course, I get strange looks because I have had to maintain a sort of dance to keep my feet cool on the way there. Hopefully I don't develop a reputation as a madman. Before asking for the goods, I glance into the glass of the window in an attempt to see my own reflection. No dice on that front.

"Do you have and shoes or perhaps a mirror?"

Mercerenies

I briefly wonder why this voice in my head is telling me all about his past. Then I recall that I don't remember mine. Very confused and slightly panicked, I start searching through the Jon Malcolm book for my past.

L

Law

Roy
Unfortunately, this task fails, as you cannot recall ever having made any mistakes.

I have experienced awaking from a night of heavy drinking with little recollection of the night before. I have not experienced awaking from a night of heavy drinking with no recollection of anything at all. It's a rather disturbing thought, and makes you question if you are even drunk at all. You cannot recall ever deciding to drink. In fact you can't recall ever drinking anything, alcoholic or not, ever. And yet you know what drinking is, somehow. Very strange. Perhaps you are not drunk, and this is merely what being conscious is like, you have no reference point to tell you otherwise. If this is so, then consciousness is extremely unpleasant.

A cloud passes over the sun, sweeping a shadow over the boat, and with it, cold wind. The sails ache and groan above you.
Objectives
-Find a mirror
-Consume rum
Info

Kous
The village is beautiful, full of little cottages and quaint gardens, perfectly maintained flowerpots. It is also empty. Completely so. Not a single person in sight.

At least the view from up here is nice through, you can stand on the roof and look out across the town. It reminds me of where I used to live, because though I claim to be from Norwich, I am in fact from a village just outside, St Martin's, and when you live in a village for a long time you learn things.

1) Cows are vicious
2) Thatched roofs are weak.

You hear a creaking sound and suddenly you're falling through the ceiling, slamming down and then rolling off an ornate dining room table. You're in a gorgeous cottage, lovely porcelain plates are in cabinets, pictures of a happy family, fireplace and a lovely huge window through which you can see the raging angry bull. It sees you. And it's about to charge.
Objectives
-Find a mirror
Info

Lukas
I'm not really very sure what our relationship is. Sorry, that sounds like I'm giving you "the talk", what I mean to say is. I'm not sure if you can hear me in your head or not. I suppose so, but it has not been established exactly how, or why I am talking to you in this way, and come to think of it, I'm not sure. It's raising all sorts of confusing questions. My existence, much like the existence of goblins, (which is the name of the creature you just killed, by the way) is somewhat baffling. Well my existence isn't baffling so to speak, I know exactly when, where and why I was born, (3rd of March 1987, Hertfordshire County Hospital, to try and fix my parent's failing marriage) I guess it's my existence in your head that is the baffling part.

But the fact that I've identified the creature you have killed to be a goblin, and the fact that you have recognized this, means that I must be able to communicate information to you. This is worth bearing in mind in the future then. If only I could tell you your missing memories too, but alas I do not know them.

As for your memories, I'm afraid to say you do in fact know nothing. I remember a friend of mine was obsessed with psychology, and she used to tell me about patients who lost all their memories but retain the ability to speak and walk and ride a bike and even play piano. It's to do with the memories being stored in a different part of the brain, or something. I don't know, I have a music degree.

This does not remedy your situation, though. You are still standing over a dead goblin. And another goblin is still knocking at the door asking where the now dead goblin is.
Objectives
-Find a mirror
-Evade Danger
Info

Yok
You enter "Animal Rescue" only to find the shop is empty.

"Hello?" You call out, no response.

St Martin's, my home town, had 5 charity shops and a co-op, and that was it. Not even a village hall. The elderly residents, (and that was most of them) would spend their days wandering aimlessly between the shops, looking for any new bargains. When Mrs Leibniz died, her family donated most of her stuff to The Samaritans, where I was working at the time. I'd always known she was a hoarder but I never knew to what degree, our store room completely filled up, I has to keep her old dresses in my bedroom. The shop staff took an oath of secrecy, knowing that if word of this ever got out, there would be chaos. But it did, somehow, and there was. When we opened on the Monday there were two dozen pensioners lined up waiting, fights were breaking out, two women tackled each other to the ground over a box set of Grand Designs. I cried. I was only fourteen.

In the back of the shop you spot, behind shelf of old books, a pair of sandals. You tap your pockets, no money. Well it would be awful just to take, wouldn't it?
Objectives
-Find a mirror
-Find Some Footwear
Info

Merc
You reach out to grab the Jon Malcolm book, only to find, rather disturbingly, that it is simply an image of a book painted onto the ceiling above.

In the center of the room, the single lamp is humming softly, it's the only source of light, and it attached by what seems to be a purposefully long chord to a socket in the middle of the room, you grab the lamp and taking it with you to examine the shelves.

Every book here appears to have been written by Robert Biggs, though there are far more books than one could write in a lifetime. Each book's title is the name of a person. Sophie Sampson, Oliver Walls, Theo Bengum, arranged in alphabetical order. You look under M.

There are about 50 copies of Jon Malcom in this room, copies in all the major languages, graphic novel versions, even a copy in braille. You grab the English large print version and take a read and extract.

"...what I am is not what I wanted to be this is futile six red in a row gives me a bomb I could swap those two this is time wasting I have six lives left 23% battery this isn't worth my time I do too much exercise I need a diet this is silly why give me three green ones a red and I win the game but no stupid thing close..."
Objectives
-Find a mirror
-Escape this room
Info

Mercerenies

Frazzled by the strange room and the stranger books, I start removing books as fast as I can to try to find a secret door in a bookshelf.

Yokcos

It would be awful indeed.
As quickly as possible without looking out of place, I slip on the sandals and walk out of there acting as though nothing were amiss, to rejoice for at least two minutes that I no longer need to hop from foot to foot in order to travel. Today is looking up. I'll have a good look in the next shop over, see if I can spot anything reflective.

R

roytheshort

Well, this is making me feel sick. I lean over the boat, I'm sick, and I look at my reflection in the water. It's blurry, but I notice my huge muscles.

G

Guest User

[You're a great storyteller Law! :3]

I, without thinking, quickly swivel my head around to take a snap of my surroundings and rack my brains for a minute to figure out what I'll do when the bull imminently breaks through the window. I've still got nothing when it crashes straight through, sending shattered pieces of glass everywhere.

I surprise myself by jumping up and swinging around the chandelier to avoid the bull, it crashes into the bookshelf behind me. I appear to be extremely athletic. I suddenly realise that the roof collapsed, so the chandelier would've gone down with it- and true as Bob, whatever I was holding on to instantly seemed to fizzle into thin air. This village is strange indeed, I decided.

I fall directly onto the bull's back.

It rears but appears to be stuck inside the bookshelf. I realise that it won't be stuck for long and dart out the window. There is still no sign of a single human being.

I run for ten or so minutes and then enter a nearby house; hopefully the bull won't find me here and I can think about things for a minute.

G

Guest User

[By the way, is magic acceptable? I have a bit of a plot planned that includes it.]

L

Law

@Kous: Thank you! I've already established there is some kind of magic in this universe, so I don't object. I would suggest unlocking a memory, and making it be about your character encountering this magic first, especially if it's your character who's going to be using these magical abilities.

Lukas
It's probably just about big enough to crawl out of, if you broke it. But the only thing you can see out of it is ocean.

"Cap'tin! I'm coming in!" cries the voice, you turn just as the door opens. Another goblin is on the other side, and in this light you see the skin isn't in fact black but a very deep green. The creature sees you, yelps, and then disappears.

Literally, it just disappears.

"Hoo'man!" Says a voice from the space the goblin used to occupy, "Hoo'man killed the cap'tin!"
Objectives
-Find a mirror
-Evade Danger
Info

Merc
Two hours pass, and you're standing in the middle of the room, holding onto the lamp, surrounded by empty bookshelves and books piled over the floor.

Perhaps this is just what the universe is, simply this room, and nothing else. You have no recollection of anything outside of this room. Of course, I do, and will tell you conclusively that that is not the case, there are many other places aside from this room, like France, and the Moon, to name a few. In fact, you may even be in France or the Moon, due to the way places can nest themselves inside each other. It's really quite remarkable. Or at least in my opinion.

Either way, you receive some evidence of the existence a universe outside of this room when you hear a voice through the wall, high pitched and squeaky.

"O dear, o dear o dear. This is not correct at all. Why is this here? Who put these here? Oh dear, oh dear oh dear."
Objectives
-Find a mirror
-Escape this room
Info

Yok
The sandals are odd. They're flip flops, but where the strap is meant to go down between your big and 2nd toe, it instead comes down between your 3rd and 4th. This appears to be deliberate, but the effect is very uncomfortable. How odd, I wonder who designed this.

While putting the shoes on you spot one of the books for sale:

SUSANNE MCALLISTER by Robert Biggs

You recognize that name. But where from?

If that memory doesn't change your objectives, you will go over to the next shop (The Samaritans), where you will find a changing room with a mirror. A mirror made of frosted glass. Very odd.
Objectives
-Find a mirror
Info

Roy
You're built like Jack, I once saw jack lift up a sofa to look for something underneath. Not just an edge of the sofa, he lifted up the whole sofa. or at least I'm fairly confident that occurred, I was not sober at the time.

I'm not giving you a very good impression of myself here, am I? I promise I am not a strong drinker, it is simply that alcohol features prominently in my memories of Jack, and my memories of Jack are vitally important to the both of us, because without him I wouldn't have learnt about goblins and neither of us would be in the places we are today.

There is a flash of thunder, followed shortly by a boom. The air is growing colder, anticipating rain. Above you the black sails are flapping. Up the deck is the bridge with the wheel for the captain to stand on, you also see many trap doors which will presumably take you down into the hull, and a door that will take you into the captain's quarters.
Objectives
-Find a proper mirror
-Consume rum
Info
-You have big muscles

Kous
The house has two floors, and you wander up the second one, figuring that a bull can't climb stairs. It's incredibly quaint, just like the rest of this village, and seems like it was for a family. You walk into what must be a teenager's room, an Iron Maiden poster hands on the wall, a skull-themed dream catcher hangs from the light, looking out the window, you can see the fields.

Well that's why the cows got out, you think, the fences for this field have been built by a madman. The field is on a hill, and while the fence at the top of the hill is built fine, as the hill slopes down the fences don't slope down with it, instead they stick out horizontally from the hill, leaving a huge empty space underneath through which the cows can simply walk out. It was like instead of the fences being built into the ground a pre-constructed perfect rectangle of fence was simply lowered onto the field and then ignored.

There is something decidedly wrong about this village, you think, turning to face the gothic teenage bedroom.

And then, out of the corner of your eye, you spot it.

There's something in this room you recognize.

But what?
Objectives
-Find a mirror
Info

R

roytheshort

Using my big muscles, I drunkenly smash down the captain's door! "Oh no, not again." remarks Jack, maybe. Whatever he said I can't imagine him being impressed. I start rummaging around the room for rum and or a mirror. Preferably a rum mirror. What's actually in this room?

Mercerenies

Claiming the biggest, heaviest book as a self-defense tool, I approach the general direction of the voice and speak to it, "Can I help you? What's wrong?"

My voice is unexpectedly feminine. I hadn't even thought about it before, but I don't remember what gender I am.

Yokcos

I head into the shop with the mirror and slap it about a bit. That's what you get for not unveiling my reflection, good sir! Have another slap! Bit of a kick in the groin too, why not?
Only after being an idiot with the mirror for longer than is reasonable, I survey the shop, have a look around see what's what in here.

L

Law

((Yok so you know you recognizing the name on the book was an invitation to create a memory of that name, as you achieved your objective of finding footwear))

G

Guest User

[Quick note: Is the athleticism trait I revealed last post 'Information' worthy? Thought it might be.]

I take a moment to focus on the thing I suddenly recognized: there's a small blue crystal glowing on the uppermost shelf.
I take it off and have a closer look. It's pulsing, breathing; I can sense that there's something special about this crystal. Its pulses almost feel like ripples in the air, as if it's the source of some power that I don't understand. It's shaped like a wave, flowing, like water. I get the odd sense that it's alive.

I decide to remove it from the shelf and keep it with me at all costs. It feels special, like I can't even grasp the exponential vastness of what I just discovered because I simply don't know what it is; yet, I seem to recognize it from somewhere... I come to the sudden realisation that I don't know much about anything. To try to prove myself wrong I list the things I know:
- I know I recently woke up in a forest full of cows near a village.
- I know that the cows were in the forest because they weren't kept in a nearby field enclosure well.
- I know that the village is deserted as far as I can tell.
- I know that a certain angry bull is probably still mad at me.
- I know that I'm somehow amazingly athletic.
- I know that I'm in a gothic-themed teenager's room.

I realise that I don't remember anything apart from these main facts and what I experienced since I woke up. This disturbs me.
I decide that I should try to get a look at myself; maybe if I see myself I'll recognize myself like I recognized the crystal and remember my past or something?

Lukasmah

The character wonders how even really simple thoughts can take so much time. How unusual.

They takes the knife and clean it a bit, just so they can see their reflection. It's not really clear, but he notices his eyes are ballerina pink for some reason.

Eh, whatever. He jumps out through the window, but as soon as he gets into the water, he lodges the knife into the ship. Trying to keep himself as close to the ship as he can, he uses the knife as a handle and lets the ship pull him wherever they're going.

((Well, in an attempt to make things more difficult for Roy by choosing this starting location I ended up making my starting situation pretty bad.))

L

Law

I'm trying to aim for one a day so I apologise for the lateness of this post.

Roy
Jack is not with you, only you are on this boat, if Jack were with you, however, I imagine he would probably just laugh.

The room is... Odd. It sort of looks like what you'd expect of the quarters of the captain of a pirate ship, except there is no bed, there is a large table instead. Also the table isn't wooden it's plastic, and there's a portable coffee maker on it. The walls are wooden though, but laminated posters are attached to them saying things like, "The CUSTOMER always comes FIRST." and "In the event of an EVACUATION gather the passengers at the EVACUATION POINTS where they will find LIFE JACKETS. REMEMBER: Do a ROLL CALL before manning the LIFE BOATS. MAXIMUM 12 PASSENGERS. After the passengers are safe SEARCH THE SHIP. "

Out the window you can see a white sailed ship, old-fashioned like yours, and a fleet of tiny orange dots that are probably life boats some distance from it. Behind those two things is a shore, on which there is a village.

In the corner of the room, there is a clothes rack where a large number of pirate consumes are hung, and beside that, a mirror, where you see your reflection.

What do you look like?
Objectives
-Consume rum
Info
-You have big muscles

Merc
The voice from the other side of the wall yeps, "What- Are you in there? Who- Can you get out? O dear, o dear o dear, I'm so sorry! I'm so so sorry let me just- I'll be just a second let me just move this door-"

THUNK. Suddenly there's a door in the wall, the bookcase in front wobbling, then falling over with a crash.

The doorhandle turns, but won't open.

"Would you pull the book case away? I can't get in!"

With some effort, you pull the bookcase away from the door, it swings open and you see a 4 foot tall creature, with huge orange eyes and deep green skin looking at you from the other side.

It sees you, yelps, then disappears. Literally disappears, it didn't run away, it was just there, then not there.

"What are you doing here?" Cries the creature's voice from the space it used to occupy.
Objectives
-Find a mirror
-Escape this room
Info
-You're Female

Yok
((As I said before, you are totally free to create a memory of the book you wish))

You go over to The Samaritans, it's bigger than the one we had in St Martin's, and contains the same assortment of old clothes, videos, and books as any charity shop. You do notice something odd though, all of the books and the video tapes have titles that are people's names, "EMMA WALTERS" "ALEXIS LALONDE" "JON MALCOM", and they're all written by the same man, Robert Biggs.

In kicking the mirror, you shatter it, and a shard falls off. The back of the mirror is reflective, though not very, you can use it to get a blurry image of yourself.

What do you look like?
Objectives
Info

Kous
Given that your action for this part consists of walking from the bedroom to the bathroom, I'll tell another story:

I was 20 and had just gone though a particularly unpleasant breakup. I will spare you the details but the story is a relatively common one, met while on our gap year, went to separate universities, drifted apart. The issue was, she decided to dump me while I was visiting her in Cambridge, leaving me stranded in a town I did not recognize, with no friends to support me.

So I made a fateful decision.

"Screw it." I thought, "I'm buying myself a stone with healing properties."

I headed to a market stall I remembered us walking past, "The Sceince of Magic" where a variety of crystals were watched over by a manically ginger-haired woman. "Making a beeline for the rocks." She said to me, as I was approaching the store, "I always do that. every new town I'm in I go straight for the rock shop, I can sense where it is."

I examined a beautiful sparkling crystal, "What's happened there," Said the woman, "is silica has substituted itself into the crystal structure of bismuth, so you get a polytype of silica where, the square parts are one polymorphism and the hexagonal parts another."

"Oh," I said, "Is that common?"

"Um, relatively so. It's different every time but substitution is common." She was cut off, a pair of tourists wanted to ask her questions. I continued examining the crystals, thinking, "Of course, only in Cambridge is the woman selling magic crystals a knowledgeable geologist."

I came across a box of smokey quartz stones, "Reduces anxiety." read the label, which seemed like what I wanted, I grabbed the one at the top, then paused, thinking, "No, if I'm going to do this I'm going to do it properly."

So as the stallowner explained to the couple where they should place an amethyst crystal in order to balance their home's energy flow, I began the process of finding "my" stone as best I could. This involved picking up each stone individually, feeling it's weight, and trying to sense it's "aura". Eventually I spotted one I liked, smooth with a single black fleck floating alone in it's center, I liked the look of the black fleck, lost inside the crystal.

I bought it, five pounds, (I know, I should have perused a less expensive way to calm down - like drugs) and as I was walking back hope, observing this little flake floating helplessly in the pristine, perfect grey crystal, I realised - I'm a moron, I've just bought myself a metaphor for man's insignificance in the universe.

"This is my problem." I thought, "When I go to find something to calm me down I choose existential dread."

So there I was, sat on the train back to London, rolling this crystal in my hand, looking at that lost little speck, resenting it, when something remarkable happened. The sun began to set. And in the light of the setting sun through the window, I saw in the crystal new details I hadn't seen before, extra little fault lines I hadn't noticed, that sketched a picture around the fleck.

And I held up the crystal to the light, and realised it no longer looked like a fleck in a sea of nothing, it looked like a leaf, the fault lines describing the wind flowing by it, it was a leaf, flicking up just before it hit the ground.

I cried the whole commute home.

I must've looked awfully strange.

Well, that story went on a little, didn't it? I apologize. I've probably made that all sound a bit significant, it really isn't, I don't even have the crystal anymore, so much stuff happened to me since then. I met Jack, and I learnt about goblins, and I've seen other crystals, like the one you have there, crystals that are actually magic.

You get to the bathroom, but for some reason, the mirror is made of frosted glass. What's the point of a frosted glass mirror? Very bizarre.
Objectives
-Find a mirror
Info

Lukas
The intense coldness of the water hits you so hard for a moment you wonder if you really did just fall into water and not onto a slab of ice. You see, though an English summer can become quite warm, the sea never seems to get the message, so even though a blazing sun is beating down on you from high above, no matter, English seas are English seas, and English seas are bloody cold.

While you get your bearings, (Voices crying, "Hoo'man killed the cap'tin!" above you) you spot in the distance a shore, with what appears to be a quaint seaside town upon it. A fleet of orange dots which are probably life rafts sit at roughly the same distance as you are from the shore, and about half the distance from you as the shore is. In the opposite direction to the shore, and again at the same distance, there floats a black sailed ship, old-fashioned like the one you've jumped out of. Behind the black-sailed ship, a storm cloud is approaching.
Objectives
-Find a mirror
-Evade Danger
Info

R

roytheshort

He looks like a big strong beefy man with long hair and a well defined chin. He can see that one of his legs is a peg-leg, but it's no ordinary peg-leg. This peg-leg allows him to read people's minds with it using magic. But he has to point it at them, which is most easily done when he is sitting down.

He remembered the day he lost his leg, an old crazy woman came up to him and she was all dressed in purple. She said "Eugudkhhkgdkdaaaaaa!" and replaced his leg with this wooden leg, which can let him read minds. His leg wasn't even broken, he was just sitting down and she stole his leg. He still to this day doesn't know where his old leg is.

L

Law

He looks like a big strong beefy man with long hair and a well defined chin. He can see that one of his legs is a peg-leg, but it's no ordinary peg-leg. This peg-leg allows him to read people's minds with it using magic. But he has to point it at them, which is most easily done when he is sitting down.

He remembered the day he lost his leg, an old crazy woman came up to him and she was all dressed in purple. She said "Eugudkhhkgdkdaaaaaa!" and replaced his leg with this wooden leg, which can let him read minds. His leg wasn't even broken, he was just sitting down and she stole his leg. He still to this day doesn't know where his old leg is.

Mercerenies

"I-I'm sorry. I don't know who I am. A-am I a monster?" Admittedly, I'm nervous, but I'm also playing it up to seem innocent.

G

Guest User

I look at the frosted glass mirror for a moment, and suddenly realise that a lot of objects around me are similarly covered in frost.
I wipe off the mirror, hoping to thaw the ice and get a look at myself clearly.

L

Law

Sorry not clear if me, I meant frosted glass as in glasd that's been treated to become translucent, not glass converted in frost

G

Guest User

Sorry not clear if me, I meant frosted glass as in glasd that's been treated to become translucent, not glass converted in frost
Ah, of course. :/
Should I change my actions...?

Yokcos

Well, going by the blurry information presented to me it seems I have the great fortune of being white. And the inconvenience of being #ffffff white. Actually there's no fortune there at all that's just plain weird. Surveying the shop to see if there's anything I can rob without anyone noticing, I ponder on who this Biggs fellow is. A villain, yes, but what did he do to earn the title of villain? Hell if I know. Just want the guy to pay. Not a fan of that individual, no siree.

L

Law

Roy
You see I did notice the leg and didn't think to mention it. The mind reading powers are new to me.

I remember when Jack started showing all of the hidden world to me, and I said, "Will it ever start feeling normal?"

And he said, "No. Not as long as you keep exploring. Because just when you start coming to terms with how crazy, with how mental this all is, you're gonna stumble upon something that throws out every idea you once had. You're gonna think, "back to square one" a million times, but every time you think you've gotten back there, you'll realise there's still a long way to go."

"It's like the graph of 1/x" I observed, and Jack scowled at me, because Jack liked big, dramatic moments, and I liked spoiling them for him.

FWUMP. The sails above you catch the wind and suddenly the whole boat's violently rocking, and shooting ahead. Then the sails lose the wind again and the boat stops as quickly as it started. You're feeling increasingly ill, and it's not the alcohol.
Objectives
-Consume rum
Info
"He looks like a big strong beefy man with long hair and a well defined chin. He can see that one of his legs is a peg-leg, but it's no ordinary peg-leg. This peg-leg allows him to read people's minds with it using magic. But he has to point it at them, which is most easily done when he is sitting down.

He remembered the day he lost his leg, an old crazy woman came up to him and she was all dressed in purple. She said "Eugudkhhkgdkdaaaaaa!" and replaced his leg with this wooden leg, which can let him read minds. His leg wasn't even broken, he was just sitting down and she stole his leg. He still to this day doesn't know where his old leg is."

Merc
The first time I ever encountered anything truly monstrous was after about 5 months of working with Jack. Jack wasn't much interested in anything other than goblins, (the green-skinned creature speaking to you is a goblin, by the way) "There are things worse than goblins" he said, "but they don't want to hurt humans. If they did, we'd all be dead by now. The scarier it looks, the more it's afraid of you. That's why goblins are so dangerous, because goblins do want to kill people, they're just too weak and stupid. For now."

But anyway, back to your story:

"I-I'm sorry. I don't know who I am. A-am I a monster?"

"You're hid'ee'us!" Cries the goblin, "I mean, o dear, o dear o dear I'm sorry. I didn't mean-" he reappears, "I mean it could be worse, you could be a hoo'man." it avoids eye contact, "Do you, uh, do you know you got here?"

((You are welcome to fill in the creature's dialogue if you want to have a brief conversation with him. He's cautious of you, and won't let you near him, and if you want to ask him any questions about what the hell he is you'll have to pass it back to me. You might also want to ask the creature what you look like, in that case you're welcome to decide how the creature responds))
Objectives
-Find a mirror
-Escape this room
Info
-You're Female
-You're monstrous

Kous
You try to defrost the mirror, only to discover the glass of the mirror on which there is frost is frosted glass, making the mirror a frosted frosted glass mirror.

It's summer outside, so the fact this room is mysteriously covered in frost is concerning. You observe the magical crystal, perhaps this has something to do with it?

((I have added investigate crystal to your objectives, whenever you express the desire to do anything that will take you more than one turn to do, I will add it to your objectives list, then completing these objectives gives you more points to add memories to your character))
Objectives
-Find a mirror
-Figure out what this crystal is
Info
-You're athletic
-This crystal has magic properties

Yok
While examining your blurry reflection, you see a black shadow looming over you. You turn, and the shadow is gone. You examine your reflection once more, and the figure is gone. Spooky.

The shop is devoid of people, so you are welcome to steal anything you choose, though little here is of use. In fact, many of the things for sale appear to be poorly designed in very subtle ways, just like your flip-flops with the uncomfortable strap. There's a 2000-piece puzzle of the union jack, which strikes you as virtually impossible. A teapot where the spout's to high to pour properly out of. And a dress with the straps so close together it's practically unwearable. Among others.

((Make Robert Biggs pay has been added to your objectives, from now on, whenever you express intent to do anything at least vaguely challenging, I'll add it to your objectives. For instance you might set an objective to investigate that shadow, or to investigate Robert Biggs.))
Objectives
-Make Robert Biggs pay
-Find a proper mirror
Info
-You have pure white skin
-Robert Biggs is a villain

G

Guest User

[Accompaniment music]

Having been in the house for as long as I wanted to; I start to head outside.
As I walk to the door, I try to contemplate what's going on...

The crystal was so obviously not mundane, could it be that it was having an effect on the environment around me?

I walk down the stairs. The crystal is still pulsing in my pocket. It feels extremely cold.

No, of course not, I say to myself. I've never experienced anything like this, so it can't be.

I become aware of a pendant hanging on a golden chain around my neck.

Then again, I've never experienced anything much at all.

I feel another pulse.

This one feels different to the icy, spiky pulses of the blue crystal. It feels... fresh, new, invoking the feeling of that forest I woke up in not too long ago. You can feel its earthiness, like digging up a handful of dirt. Then there's another side to it... you can feel plants, flowers, as if they were blossoming all around you as the day began; trees, great oaks and sycamores; It's so real, if you but closed your eyes for a moment, you might be able to reach down and touch the orchids, touch the redwood in front of you; be lost in the forest around you.

The pulse fades, and I'm sharply brought back to reality.

I look behind me, the house I just exited is covered in frost. In fact, this is how I remember it when I entered it; it was covered in frost and ice and most of the plants in the tiny garden were frozen over.

But that's not all.
The building is now covered in flowering vines and plants; as if it's been fifty years since I walked out. As far as I can tell, they're still growing, claiming more ground from the frost steadily.

There's a single blossom in the garden. It opens up as the afternoon becomes the night.
As the darkness draws on, it starts to rain.