• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Released Wuppo; Boss Run (free Update)! ( unique hand drawn open world RPG platform adventure )

Posho

Holy poopers, man. I just played the demo and I think this might be one hidden GameMaker gem.

How? Why didn't I see this game before? I see now that it was on the YoYoGames's Showcase, but for real, this thing needs more exposure.

Unlike everyone on this thread praising you for the art, I'll praise you for the programmer animation, I will never not respect talented programmer animators and you're no exception. The intro sequence including how the tutorial develops and characters' dialogue is just straight-up perfection, my man. Those trailers were beautifully crafted as well.

By the way, is all this made with regular sprites or SWF/vector art? It kinda gives me a Flash vibe.

Anyways, like, congratulations man, those SEVEN YEARS won't be a waste, I hope. That's so much time I'm starting to lose faith in my game project I started three years ago that doesn't progress by no means fast.

I'll try to spread the word on this, and I'll definitely buy the full game. This is exactly the kind of story-based action game I've been looking to get immersed for a while. Not even boot licking to be honest.

mfw this game

Cheerio.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

7 years is a long time to develop a game. I hope you back this thing up like crazy. Also, I gotta say I'm very impressed by this. I watched a let's play someone did and I enjoyed watching it almost as much as the guy playing it.

Edit: holy poopers? lol

LEGOlars

Your game looks fantastic. Will add it to my wishlist and buy it soon.

(You have a better positive/negative ratio than No man's sky.) :)
Haha thank goodness for that. We're still on 100% positive with over 100 reviews :D :D

Holy poopers, man. I just played the demo and I think this might be one hidden GameMaker gem.

How? Why didn't I see this game before? I see now that it was on the YoYoGames's Showcase, but for real, this thing needs more exposure.

Unlike everyone on this thread praising you for the art, I'll praise you for the programmer animation, I will never not respect talented programmer animators and you're no exception. The intro sequence including how the tutorial develops and characters' dialogue is just straight-up perfection, my man. Those trailers were beautifully crafted as well.

By the way, is all this made with regular sprites or SWF/vector art? It kinda gives me a Flash vibe.

Anyways, like, congratulations man, those SEVEN YEARS won't be a waste, I hope. That's so much time I'm starting to lose faith in my game project I started three years ago that doesn't progress by no means fast.

I'll try to spread the word on this, and I'll definitely buy the full game. This is exactly the kind of story-based action game I've been looking to get immersed for a while. Not even boot licking to be honest.

mfw this game

Cheerio.
Wow thanks :D I actually graduated as an animator rather than as a programmer. It's not vector. The sprites are really low res and there's a smoothness shader on everything. But most body parts are separated from each other and move through code animations, combined with 60fps it naturally looks smooth :)

Thanks everyone for these nice reactions!

Also, there's currently a HALLOWEEN EVENT for a limited time :O (It's also 20% off due to Halloween sale.)

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Hey @LEGOlars

Have you tried porting this to GM:S? There's a lot of Mac and Linux users you could reach... (Mobile would be far too complicated so I won't bother entertaining the idea). Would be pretty cool to see it on the big TV screen via an OUYA port, and all that would take is some interface instructions changed for the controls. The graphics remind me a little of "Untitled Story", a MattMakesGames GameMaker classic. But the story to your game is a lot more in-depth, which I really like.

I'm considering to get this when the Christmas sale comes around. Until early December I'm pretty booked with a team project, on my downtime, and won't have much time to play it. I look forward to it, and will definitely write a positive review on Steam. But the biggest thing is supporting Mac, as it is so common for people to have that instead of Windows. (I rarely meet in real life anyone who owns a Linux machine). I use Windows primarily, so it isn't an issue in my case.

I don't want to overwhelm you, just a suggestion...

Now you say shader, do you mean with a DLL, or is this already made in GM:S?

Last edited by a moderator:

LEGOlars

Hey @LEGOlars

Have you tried porting this to GM:S? There's a lot of Mac and Linux users you could reach... (Mobile would be far too complicated so I won't bother entertaining the idea). Would be pretty cool to see it on the big TV screen via an OUYA port, and all that would take is some interface instructions changed for the controls. The graphics remind me a little of "Untitled Story", a MattMakesGames GameMaker classic. But the story to your game is a lot more in-depth, which I really like.

I'm considering to get this when the Christmas sale comes around. Until early December I'm pretty booked with a team project, on my downtime, and won't have much time to play it. I look forward to it, and will definitely write a positive review on Steam. But the biggest thing is supporting Mac, as it is so common for people to have that instead of Windows. (I rarely meet in real life anyone who owns a Linux machine). I use Windows primarily, so it isn't an issue in my case.

I don't want to overwhelm you, just a suggestion...

Now you say shader, do you mean with a DLL, or is this already made in GM:S?
Hey :D

Thanks for the suggestion!

Wuppo is actually made in GM:S. And although it's relatively easy to make your game available for Mac/Linux, it's not exactly a 1 button thing. tbh I personally haven't tried getting it to work on Mac, but my colleague spent a long time on it and said he couldn't get it to work. And from all the stories I've heard about devs porting their games, it doesn't seem like it can be done very quickly.

I think it's a great idea to port it to Mac / Linux one day, but our publisher also pushes that it's probably not worth the effort until our audience is larger. It will undoubtedly be worth it once Wuppo is actually something that many Mac/Linux users know of and want to play. So supporting and increasing our audience is probably where our focus should be right now. The reactions to Wuppo are insanely good ( even better than we could hope for ), but we still need to get seen and heard much more to be able to 'cross the gap'. I think we can do it though :D

D

DyingSilence

I gave this game to my lady, watching her play and helping a little. She really enjoyed it
That's a solid piece of work, i couldn't find a single flaw, both in design and execution.

We loved the whimsical mood, unexpected discoveries, engaging interactions, interesting bossfights.

The effort is easy to see in this one, great job again :)

D

DyingSilence

Ok, we stumbled upon this:

___________________________________________ ############################################################################################ FATAL ERROR in action number 1 of Step EventobjThrowItem for object objPlaceItem: Pop :: Execution Error - Variable Index [0,-1] out of range [1,0] - -5.busteX(100035,-1) at gml_Script_scrBusteSaveItem ############################################################################################ -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- stack frame is gml_Script_scrBusteSaveItem (line 0) gml_Script_scrBustesSaveAll gml_Object_objPlaceItem_Collision_187
It happens underwater beneath the rails, where there's a pressure plate and a locked passage. Everytime we put something on the plate, this happens.

LEGOlars

Ok, we stumbled upon this:

It happens underwater beneath the rails, where there's a pressure plate and a locked passage. Everytime we put something on the plate, this happens.
Hey, thanks for the report. That's already been fixed for a while though. You might've turned off auto updates. Update the game and you should be fine :) The current version is 1.0.24.

LEGOlars

Hello again! :D

Just wanted to point out that we've just released a big new (free) update: Boss Run!

Features:
- You can defeat all the bosses in 1 go
- Use new items to build your strategy
- Compete for the best score online, against the entire world or your friends
- You can also practice against the bosses individually

Here's a trailer:

Last edited: