• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMC Jam Discussion The Humble GMC Jam #2 Discussion Thread

What theme would you like for the GMC Jam #2?

• DECONSTRUCTION

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • YOU ARE NOT THE HERO

Votes: 43 47.8%
  • POINT OF NO RETURN

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GVmG

Jesus, some people already have graphics meanwhile I'm still going strong with debugging, fixing the engine and using placeholder graphics...

Time to get that sexy healthbar then.

G

GhostlyFeline

Yeah, I'm not worrying too much about art until my game mechanics are all in.

Oh the jam started! I'm late! I already have a solid idea though, so it's all good :) Can't wait to play some of these, I'm actually pretty excited about this theme!

The M

I drew some sprites and animated them, then I realized the size didn't work so I had to redraw them.

No backgrounds yet so it's pretty boring but the thief, princess and evil wizard are pretty good now. I'll redraw the heroic knight sometime later.

hippyman

Good for you guys.... I don't even have an idea. I'm probably just doing deconstruction anyways. I have an idea for that. Nothing for the hero one. I thought I had something but my idea is more like a skit than a game.

Nallebeorn

I guess I now have some kind of thing, loosely resembling something:

Obviously, you're not the hero. You're the tree blue void cape cat.

M

Matthew Brown

This started out quick but progress is quickly slowing as the mechanics get more complicated. Why did I have to have an idea with AI. xD

C

Crunch Captain

So I can't code and was gonna animate for somebody but looks like I am all by my self.
Just got a new idea though and I guess when my code gets lost i'll use D&D....

I'll have fun oh well xD

Nallebeorn

This started out quick but progress is quickly slowing as the mechanics get more complicated. Why did I have to have an idea with AI. xD
Heheh. I kind of had that problem as well -- all the good ideas I could come up with depended on fairly complex AI which I know I wouldn't be able to pull off in 3 days if I want a game on top of it :p

GMWolf

aka fel666
I started work on Super Hero manager 2017.
upload_2016-10-28_21-17-22.png
I like the idea, But im not sure i wil finish this, im not really enjoying working on this.
I think i need a new concept... This one is just a lot of content programming. bleh.

D

Dark

Finally stopped procrastinating and wrote this over the last hour or so:
Code:
///create_enemies(number)
var spacing = room_width / argument0;
var xx = room_width / 2 - (argument0 - 1) * spacing / 2;

repeat (argument0)
{
    instance_create(xx, 128, obj_enemy);
    xx += spacing;
}
So much progress!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Yal
M

Miner7365

God, shader hell is a fun place to be, isn't it.

Whatever, i'll be out of it faster the faster i stop typing this message.

G

GVmG

Look at that 3D HUD made with 2D sprites and some math! I know the perspective is a bit skewed and I forgot interpolation and the background shows placeholder sprites, sssh, I'm just a man, not Google's AI.

C

CoderJoe

Done with homework for now! Time to get my jam on! I have some ideas, lets see where they go.

What do you guys think... Should I do a game where you protect the hero, you are the boss and there are a bunch of boss fights, or you are the villain and you spawn enemies to kill the hero?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GVmG

Alright, fixed some minor perspective issues, added interpolation, and I'm surprised that the framerate didn't drop under 90fps, especially after I added the fadein/out effect for when the hp changes (whether you get hit or healed). Whatever you guys did to the drawing functions behind the scenes, it's amazing.

Here's a gif recorded in glorious 24fps* (thanks sharex for that useless limitation):

The plan for tomorrow is to mess around with vertexes and such to draw a "HP: <number>%" above the cubes. You know, in the empty part of the HUD.

*it might be 30, not too sure. I'm not a frame-o-logist.

Z

zircher

Pretty amazed that people have functional bits up and running. I'm still working on art assets.

D

Dark

I think I'll change game idea, just not feeling it with my current one...

M

McWolke

my game sucks :D you basicly do nothing.. at least some of my sprites look good :D i suck at fire & characters :< will make these new sometime later

J

JackOatley

@TehPilot That looks really awesome. Good colors. I hope you're animating that grass and water? :p

Anyway, my gameplay is working and actually making sense and definitely able to diversify it a bit in the next 2.5 days! I even already started the story/tutorial, which will remain pretty bare bones... I know I get annoyed at long text pieces in jam games, so I won't be a hypocrite and get carried away! (Though you can also skip it or play along with it still there, so not THAT annoying either way)

TehPilot

@TehPilot That looks really awesome. Good colors. I hope you're animating that grass and water? :p
We'll see! I am not a great animator (the leg animation you see was hacked together after looking at a ton of leg animations, and copy-pasta-ing a few patterns). I can add some subtle stuff, though. Maybe once the core gameplay's closer to done.

M

Miner7365

d8c2e4d1df6052c4957d0fa687cc809b.gif
PROGRESS IS BEING MADE! no more black triangles or anything like that.

hippyman

My total lack of inspiration and creativity probably means I'll be opting out. :(

I may put together a joke entry but other than that, I wouldn't expect anything from me this jam.

I said I wasn't really going to give it my all this time around, but I might have to change my mind :p My Sunday is booked so I have to cram as much as possible in tonight and Saturday! Hopefully it turns out decent and I actually end up with a playable game.

Z

zircher

Day one in the can. Rather pleased with the progress I got on the art resources. Got a couple dozen models and pics completed.

G

GVmG

Alright despite irl events being annoying as usual, I'll keep on coding and making this game. I got a pretty solid walking animation and I'm surprised it works flawlessly with the (different-sized) collision sprite I already had.

I'm also surprised that after the update my laptop did yesterday ngiht, I get an average fps value that is almost always above 1000, and the game also feels smoother. That said, I'll sketch the main character concept art because there will be (minor) dialogue in my game.

The M

Playing around with the knight!

Edit: So I just drew a death animation for the player, then moved the sprites around and suddenly the death sprite has the idle animation. Anyone know why something like that would happen (and how to fix it)?

Last edited:
G

GVmG

I just found this song by searching for dank memes, and I was surprised it's actually a good remix lol

here have it while I take a break and go to a family lunch because hooray for family stuff that I never signed up for:

WARNING: extremely dank skeletons and bass, listen at your own risk.

Micah_DS

TIME TRAVEL CONFIRMED
BURN THE WITCH
.... I'm offended! How can a guy be a witch? ... :p

Anyway, I actually got a free hour in the midst of craziness to do some stuff, so I was able to get my game idea decided upon along with the mechanics and some pseudo code. Also, I have this to show:

GMC Jam 02_ WhatWhyBecauseRandomnessLedToThis.png
A bodiless mummy and his batty bat buddy. Booyah.

Status
Not open for further replies.