• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

HTML5 release options

camerakid

Hey Guys,

I am rarely using HTML5 modul but today just tried to export my games to HTML5 and most of them works perfectly in a browser.. Fantastic!

I was wondering how do you guys usually distribute HTML5 games? On Facebook? Is it worth trying this model or method with games?

Do you guys usually put ads in it or how do you monetize it?

Thanks for any useful infos guys!

Attila

Coded Games

There are two main ways to monetize HTML5 games. Revenue shares and selling licenses, both have their pros and cons.

Revenue shares are good if your game draws a lot of traffic. That way you can publish your game on lots of websites like Kongregate, New Grounds, your own website and make money off of ads. Unfortunately a lot of games won't draw enough traffic for revenue shares to be worth it.

The other option is to sell licenses. You contact publishers, or they come to you, and sell them the rights to publish your game on their website. This way is great if your game is high enough quality for publishers to want to buy it. I suggest doing non exclusive deals so that you can sell your game to a bunch of different publishers.

@TrueValhalla has a great book that goes into a lot more detail on monetizing HTML5 games.

Last edited: