• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

GMC Jam Discussion The Humble GMC Jam #2 Discussion Thread

What theme would you like for the GMC Jam #2?

• DECONSTRUCTION

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • YOU ARE NOT THE HERO

Votes: 43 47.8%
  • POINT OF NO RETURN

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Micah_DS

Oh shoot! How could I forget this?? This is pretty much my ultimate source of hype! Rob A. Ranowsky, FTW!

(Ok, ok, I know, it's SAO, right? But if you don't listen just because you don't like SAO, you'll truly miss out. This guy does EPIC covers)

Reactions: Yal

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Oh shoot! How could I forget this?? This is pretty much my ultimate source of hype! Rob A. Ranowsky, FTW!

(Ok, ok, I know, it's SAO, right? But if you don't listen just because you don't like SAO, you'll truly miss out. This guy does EPIC covers)
Oooooooooooooooh~

Yeah, that's a pretty sweet metal cover! ^__^
Consider me a squealing fangirl of that guy~♫

(And FYI, I don't know anything about SAO other than most anime connoisseurs agreeing that it's bad, so I'm kinda neutral to it... why watch anime when you can play games? :p)

G

GVmG

I'm "mechanifying" random animals, maybe it'll help me when I need enemies for my game (I already have a basic idea)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
LESS THAN HALF AN HOUR LEFT
Make sure to put fresh batteries in your pacemakers, stock up on consumables and performance-heightening substances while there's still time!

Micah_DS

Ohh suspense! Are we going to have a last minute change-up in votes, or is it really going to be YANTH?

Sad thing is, as soon as it's revealed, I have to go to sleep.

K

Kiesenverseist

So unexpected!

ehm I guess ill sleep on it... I'm already sleep deprived... Have no real good ideas so far...

I'll manage :p

Micah_DS

Alright, see you guys sometime during the last 24 hours. I'll be starting late again, due to work and the need for the human body to sleep to function well, etc.

Good luck to all! I was impressed by the stuff everyone made last time. Can't wait to see what everyone makes this time around!

G

GhostlyFeline

Thinking I'm gonna do a platform game where someone else has already completed the levels. There'll be enemies lying on the ground, empty treasure boxes, and bosses that have already been defeated.

G

GVmG

Thinking I'm gonna do a platform game where someone else has already completed the levels. There'll be enemies lying on the ground, empty treasure boxes, and bosses that have already been defeated.
Uuh, that's an interesting way for you to not be the hero while also not being the villain...

I'm going for the classic "What Have I Done?!?" feeling, but since I have only 72 hours it's gonna be very subtle since there isn't a lot of time for plot.

I'm also thinking of a platformer/bullet hell mix.

ghandpivot

I have a major problem with collisions and masks. I'm using a precise mask on a rotating sprite, yet the hitbox is waaaay of.

Edit: Solved with workaround :)

Last edited:

ghandpivot

My progress so far. Got some decent looking water going on, although I don't have time to give it responsive physics there are still waves and foam. The want-to-be hero bungee jumps from the bridge and causes all sorts of chaos.

G

GVmG

Little slowdown on the way, gotta do something for my aunt, but it shouldn't take more than a few hours.

I already have a solid collision engine and awful fps, so half the game is already there :p

Jokes apart, I'll try to optimize it later. For now it works alright.

Random life update: my g92yo grandma is here with my aunt and despite the alzheimer she still remembers me :D also I'l gonna have to use an old iPhone 4 for a few weeks because my crappy Huawei has completely abandoned me.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
No handicap, the handicap has been removed for the previous Jam, and many people generally seen it as an improvement (one thing less to worry about, and ability to focus more on the theme).

Nux

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I wish I could've taken part, but this couldn't have been timed at a worse time; I got fifty-bazillion things to do regarding college, I just wouldn't have the time.
I had an idea for a game, which would be inspired by Legend of Zelda themed RPGs and the merciless massacre of jellies.

You'd play a cute (or angeryu, if you prefer) slime which had various slime-y powers such as shooting slime balls, or phasing through tiny cracks in walls. And you'd try and escape the clutches of many murderous "heros" trying to get your sweet slime-y loot.

You would be able to hide in long grass and pots (hehe) to escape from these heros (since they would be faster than you), and it would be a test to see how long you are able to survive, as heros gradually pile up on the map.

I kinda thought it would be funny to just have hundreds of link-esque characters chasing down this single slime (you) making constant "HYA", "NROO" sounds while randomly throwing pots and cutting long grass, both of which are your only hiding places which would reveal your location. Truely. Horrifying.

I would definitely make this in the future when I have the time, but I thought I'd just share it in case anyone wants to steal it or take what little ideas they can. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11clock

I decided to go with what I originally said and not join. There isn't anything I could immediately come up with regarding the theme that could be realistically done in 3 days, and I have college stuff to do.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
upload_2016-10-28_18-22-21.png
Draw routine initiated...

New Sonic Mania stuff revealed, btw, so I'm listening to the new OSTs~

G

GhostlyFeline

Coming up with boss ideas now. Here's what I have so far:
Boss 1 - Big Mouth
Boss 2 - Ghost Twins
Boss 3 - A Sign

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GhostlyFeline

@Alice Understood. I edited the post. Will be more careful.

Last edited by a moderator:

ghandpivot

I need to stop putting so many hours into audio each time. Should build a library instead of making/finding new stuff all the time...

NazGhuL

NazTaiL
Anyone doing a minesweeper clone where you only have to hide the mines and watch the computer play alone?
Or a majhong clone where you stack all the tiles... ...
:(

G

GVmG

this is going pretty well. despite some minor irl problems, stuff seems to be going allright. I have a basic platformer engine and I can shoot and there's enemy turrets that also shoot the player, so that's cool for now.

I plan on adding other stuff tomorrow. For now I'll take a small break, might code more later as well, who knows.

EDIT: I actually kinda want to add a cool healthbar-like thingy in a bit. we'll see. maybe yes maybe not. probably after this small break, if I go back to coding after it.

Status
Not open for further replies.