GMC Jam Discussion The Humble GMC Jam #2 Discussion Thread

What theme would you like for the GMC Jam #2?

• DECONSTRUCTION

Votes: 32 35.6%
  • YOU ARE NOT THE HERO

Votes: 43 47.8%
  • POINT OF NO RETURN

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Yeah, the poll only shows results if you've cast a vote. It also allows you to change your vote afterwards, though... not sure if that's a good idea (what if 20 people have a secret pact to change their votes 5 minutes before they're finalized to throw everybody off?).

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
Kinda ruins the reveal of the theme to have the poll open, eh? 1-14-4 is the score so the theme is pretty much locked in already :p
Nuts, I didn't realise that it would still show! I kinda misunderstood "display votes publicly" to mean "not showing results until the poll is closed" for whatever reason. >.<

Uggghhhh, I guess we are back to square one when it comes to theme voting, then. As in, in the future Jams, unless there are changes in the forum software itself, the theme voting will be carried out through private messages/conversations with the Jam host, like it has been the Jam before. However, since people already voted in the poll, I will keep it as it is. If I removed the poll altogether, the people who voted would have that taken away from them, and if I combined the PM votes with poll votes, I would have no way of telling whether someone voted twice or not.

@Yal: I allowed people to change their votes because some people actually did use that option the previous Jam, and I see no particular reason not to support that (especially since the votes *aren't* supposed to be visible, but built-in Xenforo polls are kinda stoopid, apparently...). I considered disabling that, but I found it's actually quite convenient - that way the winning theme isn't certain until the poll closes and the Jam starts, which is how it was supposed to be in the first place. ^^'

G

GVmG

I was suggested a horror podcast by a friend, I'll listen to it while working on my entry. Just to add that extra spook factor :^)

M

Miner7365

YOU ARE NOT THE HERO

Not what i expected, but i guess i can work with this....

N

Nacky Slocker

I actually like that we can see the votes. Please keep this in.

makas

we could delete/edits the comments that give away who is winning so the surprise is still there at least until you cast your vote

J

JackOatley

Well, I voted for Deconstruction as it seems the most gameplay-centric. The other 2 are kinda vague. But I'm going to be stubborn and try and use all 3 anyway! Sorry I'm not offering a prize this time round, would like to offer more homemade jam but it's tricky atm. If @GameDevDan has any left from last time he will DEFINITELY share it with you. Should be a fun jam! Look forward to seeing everyones' games. :)

Turgon

I've been around since the first GMC Jam (though I haven't participated in all), and I just want to say a big thank you to all the people who help run it each season, it's always a highlight to come back to the GMC and follow along with the cool game making mayhem! Keep up the good work everyone.

K

Kiesenverseist

Well I'm at school right now (and i will be for the next 6 hours) but i guess ill have time to think?

Also its really surprising this site isn't banned when stuff like GitHub is. Oh well I wont question this.

I actually really like the themes so I don't mind any of them~

Basically I'm really hyped.

N

Nacky Slocker

I probably won't officially participate in this jam again.

-Life- That's why. (You can ignore it, but it'll find you.)

In regards to hiding the votes, it seems you guys like to be surprised by revealing the tally after the voting ends... I prefer watching the votes in progress, I find it fascinating.
The only real surprises I get these days are when my game doesn't return any errors while testing.
And the massive kingdom hearts and pokemon info drop today. Now where on earth did that come from?

Micah_DS

I probably won't officially participate in this jam again.

-Life- That's why. (You can ignore it, but it'll find you.)
Even if you don't get much free time during the 72 hours, you can still do something. Just encouraging you to try. I definitely understand life being a preventing jerk.

For me, the jam literally happens at the worst time possible, and this isn't any kind of exaggeration. I only have 24 hours at the most. If the work weekend is rough, I have to get a good long sleep to recover, meaning I wake up with energy and a brain that works, but I also end up with so very little time. If I cut my sleep short, I'm already done, unable to think, having my bed constantly annoyingly call out to me, "sllleeeeeeep~, oooOOOOOoo, sleeeeeep". Even so, I'm going for it. It just means I have to make a stupidly simple game, because I'm not skimping out on sleep this time around.

makas

I will start one day later my team will not be able to start tomorrow, and I dont want to start alone... so we will have only 48 hours to work, I hope we can compensate that with us being 3 persons

G

GhostlyFeline

This'll be my first solo jam game since the new forum. Hopefully I'll be able to make something cool.

Jam starts at 8am here though. Ugh.

Micah_DS

You know, deconstruction isn't an easy theme at all and it's more limiting than a theme should be, imho. Unless you bend the correct meaning to simply mean to destroy or take apart stuff, losing the analytical aspect and reason of it. But then it's no longer deconstruction, yeah? It has potential for some sort of mystery game though. Maybe I'm just not thinking deep enough.

In any case, after some thought, I'm hoping for theme 2 or 3.

C

Crunch Captain

Just had an amazing idea. Hard part is making it easy and small

Z

zircher

"Deconstruction signifies a project of critical thought whose task is to locate and 'take apart' those concepts which serve as the axioms or rules for a period of thought."
Basically take a video game or other meme and analyze/disassemble it. For example, "You give 14 year old girls the magical power to shatter a city block. What did you expect would happen?" You are not the hero is actually a deconstruction technique. The phrase murder hobo derives from the critical analysis of the early DnD kill them and take their stuff mentality.

TehPilot

I intended for deconstruction to be interpreted both literally (take things apart) and metaphorically (analytical teardown).

I'm a fan of themes with multiple interpretations for the variety it provides, but others may digress. I like the other choices as well!

dadio

Potato Overlord
GMC Elder
I like Deconstruction and You Are Not The Hero.
Point Of No Return seems difficult to pull off without either being some kind of Physics game (beyond a lot of peoples ability) or involving storytelling.
You Are Not The Hero seems easiest as it can be crowbarred into any type of game...
Deconstruction could be interesting...
voted for the Not Hero thing tho & it looks like that's gonna come out on top...
*preps code-ninja fingers*

WOOT! JAM STARTS IN LESS THAN 10 HOURS!!! :eek:

P

ParodyKnaveBob

DECONSTRUCTION.

Even if I can't join -- although I'd like to try for the few hours I might have available on the one day that weekend -- I'd love to see the divergence of simple vs. analytical games that pop up, much like in Old GMC Jam #3 ("LIVE" -- now which "live" do ya mean?). I'd certainly be more willing to try to play and review. (However, since POINT OF NO RETURN similarly sets up for more story-based interest, I'll be pretty likely to see what's going on for that one, too. YOU ARE NOT THE HERO .. why does that one feel like it's been done already? Maybe it's just because it's become such a common "twist" trope already.)

Regards,
Bob $:^ J

makas

you are not the hero could be interesting but it also to just do a normal hero game and change the bad guys for good guys... or is that I dont have more interesting ideas? deconstruction sound super fun no matter the interpretation that you give

Z

zircher

While I was joking about including all three themes, I have an idea that integrates all of them. So, I think I'm good no matter how the vote goes. :)

E

ericbomb

At first I wanted not the hero, then I realized we'd mostly just make normal games and then either at the beginning/ending we reveal you are killing innocent orphans and puppies instead of terrorists or something.

S

smash ball

Nah, if it's not the hero I'm making it blatantly obvious from the start that you are not the hero. Much like it's obvious you are not the father.

Micah_DS

Ironically, I have some creative ideas for 2 and 3 that might not be expected, but for deconstruction, I'm having the least imaginative ideas.

hippyman

For what its worth, I changed my vote to Deconstruction - seems more challenging/more likely to result in original games.

Ironically, I have some creative ideas for 2 and 3 that might not be expected, but for deconstruction, I'm having the least imaginative ideas.

I think it just matches the kind of games that I'm into. For example that game that I have the most hours on for Steam is Garry's Mod.

TBH... I probably will just end up doing deconstruction anyways. Who knows though. I'm picturing some pretty funny things for the hero one.

C

CoderJoe

Whoops! kinda forgot about this! I will be participating (maybe). Depends on how much work I have (stupid college application deadlines :p). *mumbles something to himself about procrastinating*

Hmmm. good themes. I think deconstruction will probably be the chosen one. All of them are good though. Could be some interesting games this week!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think all 3 themes have the potential for some interesting games to come out of them, but I'm most interested in seeing what people do with the second one. I'm interested in seeing what ideas people have beyond the obvious ones.

aamatniekss

Ah sadly won't be able to join this time. :/ Cause pretty much all of Saturday and Sunday is busy for me.
Though I might try to whip up something super quick today!

HayManMarc

Looks like I won't have much time for this. :(
But I'll try to make something anyway. :)
I do have Saturday off. :)
But I might have half a day of errands/chores. :(
The themes seem good. :)
But I have no ideas. :(
I'm so confused. :confused:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
*heartbeats intensifies*
IT'S HAPPENINGGGGGGGGGgggggggg

I think I have an idea that would fit with at least two themes. More hyped than usually~

G

GVmG

Music? MUSIC!

(yes there's a song. and I LOVE IT. and the internet also loves this. I can't stop listening to this.)

EDIT: I forgot the FEELS ALERT

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.