• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Android Upgrade to Google Mobile Ads SDK, 7.0.0 or higher

S

sidewinderz

Hi There,

Does anyone receive email from Google about upgrading Google Admob?

I received the email from Google as below. I saw that it mentions about changing configuration file but I don't where is that file.

I am not sure how to fix it. Does anyone know how to fix it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

AdMob is committed to providing you the most effective monetization solutions. As we innovate, it’s important that we leverage the latest technologies to bolster our platform. As part of this movement, we are deprecating versions 6.4.1 and lower of the Android GoogleMobile Ads SDK on September 15th, 2016.
In order to ensure that your ads continue to serve after September 15th, 2016, please upgrade to Google Mobile Ads SDK 7.0.0 or higher.
The newer Google Mobile Ads SDKs have many more benefits for you:

• Seamless auto-updates. Changes to the Google Mobile Ads SDK for Android get pushed seamlessly to users through Google Play services, so you can focus your time where it matters
    • You won’t need to spend time updating your apps with the latest versions of the ads SDK each time it changes
    • New features and bug fixes will also reach users through auto-updates
  • Better user experiences. Users will find it easier to manage updating their apps as some improvements will automatically be received in the background.
To upgrade your SDK, add the latest version of play-services (listed under dependencies) in your Gradle Build configuration file. For example, the following added v9.0:

W

WWAZman

When has YYG ever let you down??

sorry couldn't resist.

A

abarrach

Today I received another e-mail from Google saying that the deadline has been extended to October 17th.

It would be nice to have the updated extension now; I am waiting for this for a long time now!

By the way, are we sure that the current extension is running 6.4.1? When I build APK for Android; I see the "You are using Google Play Services SDK version 7.6; please update to ..." on the console. It says that our SDK version is 7.6.

Interestingly enough though; SDK v7.6 is for iOS; not Android. (As seen here: https://firebase.google.com/docs/admob/release-notes#ios)

Therefore; I will repeat my question. Are we sure that the current extension is running 6.4.1? Is there a way to manually check for it?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A

abarrach

I have the same question.
I have made a little bit research and figured out how to learn the version of the SDK: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/28512016/how-can-i-determine-the-version-of-google-play-services

In summary we can see the version of the SDK from the version.xml file in the extension folder of our GM:S project folder. For instance the path to my file looks like this:
Code:
C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\Documents\GameMaker\Projects\MYPROJECTNAME\extensions\GooglePlayServicesExtension\AndroidSource\Sdk\google-play-services_lib\res\values\version.xml
In that file there is a line like this:
Code:
<integer name="google_play_services_version">7571000</integer>
Hence our SDK version is 7.5.71. I checked it and it's a valid Android SDK. It also is not in the list of the ones that are going to be depreciated.

I think that we are safe; but of course it would be awesome to see an official reply from YOYO just to be safe.

clee2005

I just looked into the 2.4.0 GooglePlayServices extension and it seems to say that it's 6.8.0 Admob iOS SDK. That's above the 6.4.1 that is being retired, so I think it's ok. Not 100%, but that's what it looks like with what I know.

Last edited:
I just looked into the 2.4.0 GooglePlayServices extension and it seems to say that it's 6.8.0 Admob iOS SDK. That's above the 6.4.1 that is being retired, so I think it's ok. Not 100%, but that's what it looks like with what I know.
can you let me know where to obtain this?

I thought the extension from the demo section of the latest GMS update would have been the latest version, but I'm getting warnings in logcat that I'm using v4.2 of the ads SDK.

EDIT: nevermind, found it!

Last edited:
J

Jcemp

So, are we safe or not? Because only 3 days are left to update our apps with the new ads SDK... If not, we will start losing money beginning on Monday.

ShaunJS

Just Another Dev
GMC Elder
Just looked into it, fix is there and is just finishing up testing. extension should be updated asap. Will let you know when.

(as the bug says, it's just awaiting MP extension update, so it just has to pass through QA and then it'll be up.)

Just looked into it, fix is there and is just finishing up testing. extension should be updated asap. Will let you know when.

(as the bug says, it's just awaiting MP extension update, so it just has to pass through QA and then it'll be up.)
What?! I thought it had been updated already!

J

Jcemp

It is passing through QA since september 13th which is the last time the bug post is update, a month later no fix has been released and today is the deadline date.

H

hamid1855

seems to be working fine i tested on android but on iOS it is glitchy

Glitchy on iOS? That's no good. :/ Are there any details on this glitchiness you don't mind sharing?

(I think the extension was causing problems for me before this update, and I was hoping this update would fix it up. Looks like not yet.)