Alpha THE BEST GM GAME EVER MADE? 100+ POSTS! POOL'S CLOSED! THANKS FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION, EVERYONE! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. We made it to a hundred posts! I hope you all enjoyed this small preview of my game. Now, It's time for me to buckle down and begin working earnestly again. In a few months, I'll (hopefully) launch my Kickstarter, and will report back here with a big update. For now, this thread has been cleared of content; because I won't be here for the next few months, I think it's best to let this thread peacefully rest for now.

To show my appreciation, everyone who took the time to post their kind comments here will receive a free [Steam Key] when the game releases. Once again, thanks everyone. Your comments mean a lot to me.

See you all again soon!

Last edited:
O

Otyugra

I'm actually kinda mad at you for the title. That's not fair to other people who had the honesty of putting the game's name in the title and I can't help but remember how you thought it was immoral of me to use the #PaperMario hashtag. That's pretty hypocritical don't ya think?

Also those foxes are so cute, I'm going to die. XD

P

Paul Levasseur

WOW! This looks very promising. I love the art style and the animated lighting effects. It has that retro c.a. 16 bit charm, even with the somewhat higher resolution. I'm REALLY looking forward to it!

Looking really sexy so far. Definitely following this. ;)
...Whoa. That's what my last girlfriend said to me when we first met. Laura, is that you?! Come back! I've changed!! D':
Heheh, just kidding. Thanks, Braffolk. :D

Best game maker game ever made? That's quite a bold statement, it looks good but no Catch the Clown good. That game is truly a masterpiece.
But of course. As of now, it is but a humble musing, no more. Obviously, I prostrate myself in the presence of the the holiest of clown games. I can only aspire to one day create something half as beautiful. ;___;7

Clickbait title, but I clicked it anyway. The game looks great, keep it up!
Clickbait is only half evil when what it leads to is worth looking at. Hopefully most people that come in get a laugh and a nice surprise. Thanks for looking and commenting, Kepons. ^ ^

Alright, back to work with me now, for a bit, at least. X'D

B

Blackened

"The best GameMaker game ever made?!" you gasped, "I need to CHECK THIS OUT!"
I didn't gasp but I did need to check this out. ;)

But then you saw it, and decided it wasn't. That's understandable. There are some amazing GameMaker games out there, and I've only just started. Sorry for tricking you. I hope we can still be friends. ):
I did see it but I also didn't discredit it as being "The Best Game Maker Game Ever" simply because I haven't played it yet! Playable demos are strongly encouraged. Saddened that one hadn't been included but we can still be friends. Are we friends even? o_O

but I hope you guys like what I have so far. =)
I DO! This looks absolutely gorgeous AND I do intend to follow this thread.

Level 0 Lightning might be a little OP right now. I'm not very good at my own game. :'D
Hahaa! The foxes are adorable... until they eat you. I could just imagine what max lvl dmg lightning could do... blow up the entire planet?! Nice.

Best game maker game ever made? That's quite a bold statement, it looks good but no Catch the Clown good. That game is truly a masterpiece.
Clown 4evarrr!

Overall, quite stunning. Looking forward to playing this in the near future! Are you going to utilize shaders to cast depth and shadow?? I think that would really make a fanatically rendered environment pop. Thanks for sharing.

The page was so awesome it almost crashed my browser
It almost crashed mine, too. Too much power. We're livin' dangerously around these parts! :'D

The style and graphics of it seem really good, I hope the gameplay will match it!
I think most people are actually going to enjoy the gameplay, locations, and story more than the graphics. I have some really special things planned, or I would never have put so much effort into learning to draw and program. I'm an extremely lazy person. X'D

I DO! This looks absolutely gorgeous AND I do intend to follow this thread
Thank you! =D

Hahaa! The foxes are adorable... until they eat you. I could just imagine what max lvl dmg lightning could do... blow up the entire planet?! Nice.
The foxes won't eat you. And they don't die, either. In-game lore is that they're playful forest spirits with bodies made up of old, dry leaves. When you defeat them, they just revert to their true form and scatter in the wind, reforming their bodies later. And they're mischievous, not evil - when the player's HP is low, their AI has them actively avoiding you and hopping around, instead of attacking you. I'm filling in the game world with tons of little details like that. I think people will really be surprised by and enjoy things like that. ^ ^

Overall, quite stunning. Looking forward to playing this in the near future! Are you going to utilize shaders to cast depth and shadow?? I think that would really make a fanatically rendered environment pop. Thanks for sharing.
I actually have shaders running in the game already. It's hard to see in the small gif, but the foxes cycle through colors when hit by lightning. The ghost castle will have a shader for some added depth as soon as I write it up, and some other areas have shader and surface tricks going on for lighting and heat wave effects. Those areas are still secret/half finished, though.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I've been wanting to show this game here for a long while now, so it's nice that it's being so well received. Thanks a lot! =)

M

Misty

I'm actually kinda mad at you for the title. That's not fair to other people who had the honesty of putting the game's name in the title and I can't help but remember how you thought it was immoral of me to use the #PaperMario hashtag. That's pretty hypocritical don't ya think?

Also those foxes are so cute, I'm going to die. XD
Yeah, it kind of reeks of aggrandizement. Kind of like going to an art gallery and there's a giant sign that says "Best Painting Ever Made of All Time." And, it's like the only painting that can have it, its like a one time only kind of deal or else it loses it's significance. Then it's moldy beans.

Yeah, it kind of reeks of aggrandizement. Kind of like going to an art gallery and there's a giant sign that says "Best Painting Ever Made of All Time." And, it's like the only painting that can have it, its like a one time only kind of deal or else it loses it's significance. Then it's moldy beans.
Not impressed, huh? ):

M

Misty

Not impressed, huh? ):
Such a thing actually serves the inverse, to actual reduce the level of impressment.

Psychologically it works like thus. Imagine if Leonardo Da Vinci made the Mona Lisa, and underneath he inscribed "Best Painting Ever". What everyone would do, is immediately try to analyze it and prove just how it is exactly NOT the best painting ever.
But remain silent, and then someone will desperately try to prove, just how the Mona Lisa is the best painting ever.

So you WOULD be impressed if my thread title wasn't bothering you? I knew you cared, Misty! <3 \ ^ o ^ /
Heheh. Seriously, though, the thread title is a click-bait-y joke. Don't let it bug you. I still have a lot of work to do before I even think of getting onto any "best of" lists. I *have* been working on this for a long time, though, and I am proud of my work, so please forgive me for having a little stupid fun with my thread title, heheh. = )

Cheers. ^ ^

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words, Jas! Don't feel bad. I didn't know what aggrandizement means, either. I am also just a lowly dev. One who spends too much time programming, and has developed a fear of typing long words as a result. X'D

And yeah, "Tribute (Best song in the world)" was a great song, hahah!

That said, a small but cute update:
--

The slime! Don't underestimate him! :>

Last edited:
L

leonfook29

This definitely remind me of Secret of Mana/Evermore. Mana series kinda walking down the drain, so i'm very happy someone make it with the spirit of the original game.

One technical question tho, did you use object for the grass or some magical code that makes interaction like that possible without having too much object? (also how you able to make a gif that large with a good fps??? that's magical for me.)

Did this start off as a Secret of Mana remake? Man I loved that and it was so cool that it was 3 player.
Is this going to work the same where you have two NPC allies and another person can take control of them?

kupo15

I should have known this thread was yours from the title haha
I'm usually not a fan of RPGs anymore but this looks really sweet! Very clean and inviting, I can not wait to play the game and back it when its ready! Keep it up :)

Good morning, everybody! ^ ^
Thanks for the kind words, leon and Jackal! To answer your questions:
This definitely remind me of Secret of Mana/Evermore. Mana series kinda walking down the drain, so i'm very happy someone make it with the spirit of the original game.
Did this start off as a Secret of Mana remake? Man I loved that and it was so cool that it was 3 player.
Is this going to work the same where you have two NPC allies and another person can take control of them?
edit: ninja'd by kupo!
I should have known this thread was yours from the title haha
I'm usually not a fan of RPGs anymore but this looks really sweet! Very clean and inviting, I can not wait to play the game and back it when its ready! Keep it up :)
Thanks for the compliment, kupo! Glad you like the look of it. Yes, the title is stupid, to suit my stupid personality. ;D
Also, thank you for pledging your monetary support in public in writing. Quoting you here, because I'm going to hold you to it. Don't cheap out on me when it counts! (Hahahah. :p )

Yes, I'm a huge Secret of Mana fan. It's one of my favorite games of all time, and this game is heavily inspired by the Mana series. I'm also taking cues from Zelda, Earthbound, The Soul Blazer trilogy, and plenty of others. To be a bit more specific, the combat is a bit like Secret of Mana's - you'll have three characters, yeah, and two will be controlled by AI when not controlled by other players. You can charge your attacks to make them stronger like Mana, too. One big difference from Secret of Mana, which I think is a good change, is that magic attacks now also have to be charged, same as physical attacks. This will fix the problem of chaining spells together to kill bosses, and it'll give your friends who are playing melee characters a chance to get in on the action more, too. There are other little fixes and things I have planned to streamline the game and make it more engaging, as well, but having to charge your magic is going to be the most noticeable difference from Mana, probably.

One technical question tho, did you use object for the grass or some magical code that makes interaction like that possible without having too much object? (also how you able to make a gif that large with a good fps??? that's magical for me.)
Nope, no magic code. Just regular old instances, and checking neighboring spots for fire. It took me a few tries to get it to run well, but now it runs fine on my 7 year old computer without graphics card, so it's optimized enough for me. I'm targeting the three major consoles and Steam with this game, so if things run on my old junk computer, I consider them good enough. I'm not an amazing programmer, so I don't go out of my way to think of any crazy tricks unless something slows the game down. I'm sure a better programmer would have thought of a more clever way to do it, but what I've got is working so far, heheh. =D

Now, today's update! Some super secret concept art for a new enemy. Beam Guard!
--
Can you guess what kind of attack it has? X'D (Definitely not inspired by Zelda's beamos, I promise...)

And, a question for everybody! Here we have two quick cloud tests:
--
Which do you guys prefer? Left or right? Let me know! =D

Thanks, guys!

Last edited:
That sounds awesome, y'know, when I initially saw the title and scrolled down I was a little disappointed that it wasn't something like Soul Blazer, but now I understand.
The Soul Blazer trilogy are some of the best games ever made, in my opinion. The tone for this game is heavily inspired by those amazing old titles. I learned some things about gameplay from them, too. If you liked Secret of Mana and Soul Blazer, you're literally the perfect kind of person to enjoy my game. And you have exceptional taste. =D

I remember you asking for help while showing some of this off. Every since, I've checked in to see if you reveal what exactly what you were making. Now here we are :D Looks very nice!
Thanks, Cpaz! It makes me happy to hear you remembered the game for so long! ^ ^

Well at least it's one of the best looking game maker games I've seen so far

I pefer the clouds on the left
Thanks, lolslayer. I'm trying, though I'm not especially talented when it comes to drawing. I've been practicing a lot. )X
Thanks for the vote on the clouds, too! =)

Your game looks cool*, but titles like this need to be against the rules point forward.

*10/10 quality cool, in fact
You didn't enjoy my thread title? I don't think we need to worry too much about other titles like this one popping up, though. I think it's kind of a one-off gimmick, hahah. X'3
And thank you for the compliment! Glad you like the look of the game! ^ ^

I just went for a walk, and thought of two new great little events for the game. And I wrote a song for one of the events! (Or at least whistled it into a mic.) The song is called The Brave Caterpillar.
I love working on this game. X'D

cdgamedev

A pretty long time. A lot of the time was spent learning how to draw and stuff, though. I've probably been working *seriously* on it for a year or two now.

Shut up, Barvix. X'D
And thanks, hahah. ^ ^

Damn! Thats dedication! It looks like its worth that time - cant wait for the demo :D:D:D. Bring it out soon plz xD!
I use so many exclamation marks!

Last edited:
M

Morumotto

Looks great! This is sort-of my thing, and the art is spot on. I'll be keeping an eye on this project! Please let me play soon!

Damn! Thats dedication! It looks like its worth that time - cant wait for the demo :D:D:D. Bring it out soon plz xD!
I use so many exclamation marks!
No demo for awhile longer, unfortunately. Need to finish KS trailer first. I'm trying, though! =)

Looks great! This is sort-of my thing, and the art is spot on. I'll be keeping an eye on this project! Please let me play soon!
Thanks, Moru! ^ ^
I choose the cloud on the left, the right looks like hyperbeam casted by the object above it.
Thanks for the vote, leon!
This game looks great so far. Good job! As far as the clouds go, why not use both styles in different areas of the game?
Thanks for the compliment, Soul! ^ ^
I thought the right cloud looked more like HopelessComposer shaking his fist at all of us parochial louts.
I'm a parochial lout. I shake my fists a lot anyway, though. :'D
I knew it was you after reading the first 4 words of the title. xD Your ego hasnt changed at all. :D
Game looks good! Need to show some other stuff finally though :p
And as soon as I saw your name, I knew what your comment would be. Seems like we know each other well, hohoho~
Thanks for the kind words though, my long-time friend. And don't worry, we have some hot and cool content coming tomorrow! Stuff even you haven't seen, yet! :p

Last edited:
Ahhh as it literally did crash my browser, chrome just couldn't handle the complexity of rendering that one pixel to the bottom right of the screen. This game looks amazing tho my god.....;)
You have to scroll slowly. Tread carefully in these sacred grounds, or be struck down like so many before you. O:

But his ego is his most endearing trait!!! :D
Some people would (and have, loudly) disagree. X'D

I'm still baffled at the fact that a 111 year old can program this well xP.
Also, can you not hurry up with the demo? I just really wanna play the game! Plz xD
What I lack in youthful vigor, I make up for in wisdom and clarity. Watch your tone, young one.

No rush though. He started coding it when he was 20. :D
Hah. You're not far off, if we're talking about the earliest version. :'D
I've been getting faster and faster, though. =)

Some new gifs for you guys for tonight:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.