Custom font skipping symbols

S

Shariku Onikage

I've added a custom font into game maker that appears to work fine except when using apostrophes. Currently they show up as below, replacing one with a large space (it should be '...just because you've bested...'):
Capture.PNG

Looking in the font file, the apostrophe shows as highlighted:

Capture2.PNG
Notably the ampersand before it is underlined but the apostrophe shows up like any other symbol.

The font package works fine in all other programs (tested in word and photoshop) and if i change the font to another generic one in Game Maker apostrophes show up fine. All other numbers, letters and symbols are fine as far as i can tell. It's just apostrophes in this custom font within Game Maker. Is there some way i can tweak how GameMaker sees the font, or something else that i can do to sort this?

Thanks in advance.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
I've left an explanation in a similar topic,
This can be a little misleading - Windows itself (and those text forms, as result) has an interesting scheme for glyph fallback, meaning that if a symbol is not available in the chosen font, it will look it up in a related font, or look it up in the system font with most glyphs supported if other options fail. GameMaker: Studio does not have access to that, however - it renders the glyphs from the font file itself, without fallback.
i.e. - your font might not actually have an apostrophe, but that form will show one from a different font. Check via some piece of software that can display individual glyph grid, such as BMFont or FontForge.