• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Exporting to Steam

obscene

I'm confused already. In my distant memory I remember seeing a Steam Workshop setting ...

But now I do not.

I also remember seeing an SDK folder setting...

But now I do not.

I can't see an individual export for Steam available on the GM website. Do I have it? Is it built in?

So do I just export a Windows app, drop in the required Steam files and upload? Or do I need to "include" them from my GM project? Is there a tutorial I'm missing somewhere?

Last edited:

obscene

Ok that's weird. So there is a separate version of GM only sold on Steam... and I need to buy that? Open my project file in it and export? But then continue using the "normal" version of GM for development? Two installations of GM???

obscene

So one installation of GM... but I still need to buy the Steam version? And then request keys? Sorry I still don't get it.

obscene

So I do need to buy the pro version of GM on Steam (In addition to my pro version I already have?) Or do I get the free version?

rIKmAN

Nah, it becomes two separate installs. You'll have both desktop and Steam version installed concurrently. They behave as two different applications.
I have my Steam keys, but prefer the standalone version.

I don't know if you remember me asking about different versions installed concurrently, you replied to create a new Windows user and do it that way.

Would it be possible to have Steam version 1763 (or latest) and standalone version 1757 (or whatever) together using this method?

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
If you are creating a game for Steam you do not need to use the Steam version of GMS the standalone one works fine, if you want to create a game and the game will upload to its own area of Steam Workshop then you can use the GMS standalone version as well.

If you want to upload your game to the GMS area on Steam Workshop then you need to use the Steam version of GMS (as to upload to Steam Workshop you need to be a steam enabled product) this is the only real difference between the steam version and the stand alone one.

Russell

obscene

SUCCESS!!!

I have a question or two remaining. When I created the game from GM, I did a zip and then just extracted it to the content folder in Steam. (Must have been correct). So when I want to update do I simply clear out that folder and add the new version, run the Batch file again and that's it?

obscene

Another question. Since the steam export uses the zip method instead of the installer, do I need to do anything here?

upload_2016-10-26_22-26-42.png

obscene

I just want to bump this right quick but I think I have the answer... it just always feels good for someone smarter to tell me. :p I guess I never did check anything in that list. Someone wrote to me with the error... "fatal error in vertex shader compilation".

So I'm hoping now that by selecting Direct X June 2010 that will fix it, since this is the only Direct X version I can select here. Will probably be a day or two before I hear back from that person they have satellite Internet and literally have to go somewhere else to download stuff lol.

Since you send the files to Steam and not an installer, I can't really package the stuff manually right? How would the average person even know where to find the files to see I had a Direct X installer in there anyway?

What's best / right?