• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Free WHAT THE @#&% ?! - After five years, it's finally compete!

T

TheUltimate

Hello everybody!

After over five years, numerous delays, and tons of feedback from the community, WHAT THE @#&% ?! is finally complete!

Let me know what you think: Any comments, bugs, praise, criticism, anything! This is by no means an unchangeable final version - I’ll still do patches based on feedback.

Beta downloaded over 7000 times from the old YYG sandbox!
...and many times from other file hosts. Sadly, I never did settle on a file host before putting it on Gamejolt; I wish I had the true download count!

What this is:
What The @#&% ?! is a fast-paced platformer where the only goal is to survive till the end of the level. Run, jump, and dodge obstacles in a diverse collection of levels!

"Extremely fun, fast-paced and well thought out. I loved how every time you think you're safe, something happens to kill you. [...] You are officially the biggest troll known to humankind. Congratulations!" – icymx

SCREENSHOTS

DOWNLOAD LINK v.1.0
GameJolt link

Here's a GMC bonus! L2 password: PureEpicness

Notes:
  • This WAS my first game, started in 2011. Some of the references are outdated and it isn't as polished as my more recent games. Expect it to be a bit rough around the edges, but bug-free and complete, and something I'm happy with.
  • The game is compiled in GM8. I had issues importing the game to GMS.
Highscores
Code:
LEVEL 1
Aura           00:21:83
Bluetail7      01:00:45

LEVEL 2
Aura           00:51:33
Bluetail7      02:02:90

LEVEL 3
Aura           01:18:55
Bluetail7      03:46:02

LEVEL 4
Aura           01:47:56
Bluetail7      07:11:33
Versions
V.1.0.0
  • First release version

To do
  • Fix the acceleration so it's smoother
  • Make CopyCat unlockable so players have to start as Ralph
  • Add silhouettes of locked characters
  • Add some skidding particles when you turn around so it's more obvious the acceleration is intentional
  • Fix edge of platform movement bug
  • Add other characters' sprites to L2 spinners
  • Make first L2 spinner more intuitive somehow?
  • Make flashing blue block type more obvious
  • Fix timer between respawn screen and player creation

What happened to Level 5?
The only thing left to do was the graphics and some bug fixing, but I hit a snag and it was the #1 delay for this game for the past two years. I decided to cut the level out entirely. My tastes and programming skills have changed since starting this project, and now, I just want to post the game and move onto other things.

Is this a Sonic fangame?
Nope. It just used to have some ripped graphics. I originally didn’t want to spend time making my own graphics as this was the first game I posted to the GMC and I didn’t expect much attention. The gameplay has a couple similarities, but it’s not at all meant to be a fangame.

Is this an IWBTG fangame?
Nope. I’d honestly never heard of that game until somebody mentioned it to me halfway through developing this one. I’ve avoided playing it so I don’t unconsciously copy anything from it.

Will you ever add Epic Deaths Mode (different animations when dying to different things)?
I’ve gotten this question a LOT haha. I never added it because doing so involves some major changes to the game’s code. However, if I get enough requests now, I’m up for anything.

Will there be a sequel?
I'm undecided. I'm still a fan of the game concept and still have lots of ideas, but sometimes sequels are unnecessary.

Are... Are those rage faces? In 2016?
Hey, I made this game five years ago when they were still a thing, don't judge. ;)

Credits:
  • Code, gameplay, and most graphics by me
  • Various royalty-free and BFXR sound effects
  • Music from various places on the internet (I'd love to give credit, but unfortunately this was years ago and the sources are lost to time)
  • Ring from a Sonic game
  • Character sound effects by ParodyKnaveBob
  • Bluetail7 for getting a highscore in the beta and getting his own custom character in the game!
Special thanks to:
  • ParodyKnaveBob for his extensive feedback and help in the final stages of the game
  • Bluetail7 for his feedback and sticking with the game from start to finish
  • Everybody on the old and new GMC forums for their awesome feedback, reviews, and support
Thanks everybody, I couldn’t have done it without you. :)

The old promise still stands: If you try my game, I’ll try yours! Tell me what it’s called and I’ll give it a whirl.

Enjoy the game!
Thanks everybody!

TheUltimate

Last edited by a moderator:

Changgi

... I'm currently stuck at level 1.

Anyway it feels nostalgic, like, the memories of when I first played this game are coming back to me.
... Still as impossible as ever though ^^;

And now that I know about Sonic, I see Sonic references, but with like updated graphics.

Now games that are designed to frustrate the player aren't generally my type of game (like The Impossible Quiz) ^^; I'd have wanted some hints, but I suppose those who beat it just figure it out on their own eventually.

You got a little chuckle from me though, 2 so far: from the loading screen and the box that says "usually".

I have to say, I really like the little jokes you put in there, which I suppose is your focus anyway, like the negative death counts, the music stopping when you die, the "rage quit" mention, and needless to mention, the text boxes that unexpectedly act as platforms.

... And seeing people showing off their trophies, I guess I better see if I could figure out how to get past this point, though I didn't lower one of the boxes before and I wonder if that has to do with it...

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Oh, look at that, I haven't said here yet:

Congratulations on publishing your first FINISHED game!

$:^ D

T

Toppu

After over five years, numerous delays, and tons of feedback from the community, WHAT THE @#&% ?! is finally complete!

Let me know what you think: Any comments, bugs, praise, criticism, anything!
I would say it's a cute little game if it was done in five weeks, or even five months. But if you actually spent five years of your life to create it, you are most certainly doing something wrong, sorry. You don't even have anything for gui and messages, it's just simple colored text drawn on screen. Five years of work for this? Okay. :confused:

I would say it's a cute little game if it was done in five weeks, or even five months. But if you actually spent five years of your life to create it, you are most certainly doing something wrong, sorry. You don't even have anything for gui and messages, it's just simple colored text drawn on screen. Five years of work for this? Okay. :confused:
Little bit rude of you don't you think, as he says in the post :

This WAS my first game, started in 2011. Some of the references are outdated and it isn't as polished as my more recent games. Expect it to be a bit rough around the edges, but bug-free and complete, and something I'm happy with.
Also he says:

This is by no means an unchangeable final version - I’ll still do patches based on feedback.
So, don't see why all the negativity.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Also note, this game was worked on on-and-off over five years. Not like some kind of day-in-day-out project. For a first game -- riddled with the usual newbie spaghetti code -- with GM8 Lite's limitations -- which if you're not familiar, was a far cry from Studio, with the Lite version shrinking functionality down a lot more (I mean, seriously, you couldn't even rotate sprites!) -- this is surprisingly fun and complete. Even though euphemistically crude at times, Ult stated it's rough around the edges, and (I can't find this quote, perhaps it was in another thread,) a lot more puerile than current and future endeavors.

Let's see, also published during those past five years...
Colour My World (Jam game with post-Jam updates)
Sophia's Spirits (collab Jam game, I *think* with post-Jam updates?)
Julius Dragonslayer (collab Jam game with post-Jam updates)
something something Origami (I don't even recall its title, let alone its origins)
The World Has Gone M.A.D. (collab Jam game)
EDIT: plus bringing Wizard Battle to the previous GMC for the first time and managing it every single week for .. a year? two years? I don't recall now .. and not even ending it because it was dying but because she wanted it to end with a bang while everyone was still interested and having fun.

So nah, doesn't look like Ult's doing something wrong time-wise. Just has more on her plate than her spaghetti-riddled GM8-Lite-limited first game. ~shrug~

Meanwhile, for comparison purposes, I popped open your profile to see your repertoire of games in the past five years, but alas, didn't find any. Do you have a list anywhere?

Regards,
Bob

P.S. It's been playable and finishable for years now, too. It's just, recently, Ult decided to crunch a few outstanding issues and call the thing "complete" instead of in perpetual "beta."

P.P.S. I'm guessing you didn't bother to play very far if you find the "simple text on the screen" a bad thing. $;^ b

T

Toppu

Meanwhile, for comparison purposes, I popped open your profile to see your repertoire of games in the past five years, but alas, didn't find any. Do you have a list anywhere?
So that you can retaliate by trying to pick apart projects of the guy who dared to post a honest opinion about your game? Nope, sorry.

In the first post you asked for "any comments, bugs, praise, criticism, anything", so I gave you mine, and my opinion is still the same: even with "on and off", "Lite limitations" and whatever else rejoinders, this project looks like a lot of time wasted for nothing. Having five years of time, you could redo it many times from a scratch in full 3D with modern graphics, shader effects, and what not. Or abandoned it long ago and do something else instead. That's all I have to say.

If you don't need any comments but praise, you should edit your first post to clearly say so.

T

TheUltimate

@Bluetail7
Hi again, and thanks for playing and finishing the game, and sticking with me from start to finish! :)

@Aura
Thanks for playing!

How did you get that time? It shouldn't even be possible to beat the game that fast. Not at all doubting you beat the game, but something might have messed up with the timer. What fps did the game run at?

@Changgi
Thanks for playing, glad you got a laugh out of the game even if you didn't beat it. The jokes and general trolliness were totally my focus. It's meant to be equal parts silly and difficult. :)

To get over the Usually box, you need a running start. To get under it, hit Jump quickly to perform a low jump over the spikes and under the box. You don't need to lower the box before it, that one's optional.

@ParodyKnaveBob
Thank you! And thank you also for all your feedback and help!

@Toppu
Keep in mind I worked on this on and off over five years. Like PKB said, I released a couple other games during the time, and I have a life outside the GMC to tend to.

Also, in case you didn't notice, PKB and I are different people. He's not the one who posted the game.

I understand if you didn't like the game (it's not everybody's thing) but I welcome criticism, not rudeness.

@OldNESJunkie @ParodyKnaveBob
Thanks for sticking up for me.

Jabbers

The comments by Toppu made me curious to see what the game was actually like. I agree that what he said was incredibly rude, and he makes a lot of assumptions about how often you worked on the project over that period.

I thought the game was a great effort for a first project. I didn't like the trolling gameplay but that is subjective, I'm not a fan of traditional style platformers so I might be the wrong person to give feedback.

T

TheUltimate

@Jabbers
Thanks for playing, even though it's not your preferred genre!

@Bingdom
Ah, you mean the momentum? It's definitely part of the game mechanics, though if I were to redo the game now, it'd be much smoother and easier to control. Most of the levels were built around the original acceleration and top speed, so I couldn't change it too much before I'd need to redesign the levels.

By the way, I added the L2 password to the first post if either of you want to see what's next. :)

D

Deleted member 467

:O This game made me very frustrated. Then art was nice, as was the music, and sound effects. Gameplay was nice and the movement added to the game's frustrating atmosphere.

... I never got past level 1.

T

TheUltimate

@Barvix
Thanks for playing! I think one of my takeaways from this game is to be more judicious with the physics, and directly ask for feedback on it early in development. The movement wasn't supposed to be the frustrating part, yet nobody really mentioned it until the game was nearly complete, and I was so used to it I never had a reason to change it.

I'd like to know for next time: Did you find it was the momentum itself, or the way it was implemented?

@marius
Never played Commander Keen, but from a quick search it seems pretty popular. I'm kinda flattered my game reminds you of it.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Barvix, that part's kinda tough, yeah. I get a running start and barely tap the jump button at all. I hope that helps.

T

TheUltimate

@Barvix
Pretty much what @ParodyKnaveBob said. I also posted about it above:
To get over the Usually box, you need a running start. To get under it, hit Jump quickly to perform a low jump over the spikes and under the box.
So like, is variable jump height just not a common, intuitive thing, or did it have something to do with how I designed that part? Because a couple others also mentioned it.

D

Deleted member 467

@Barvix
Pretty much what @ParodyKnaveBob said. I also posted about it above:

So like, is variable jump height just not a common, intuitive thing, or did it have something to do with how I designed that part? Because a couple others also mentioned it.
I dunno, I hit spacebar many times to test that and it seemed to jump the same height (which was kind of high)

M

MEITdev

Hi there!

I have recorded a short "honest first impressions" feedback video for your game.

The reason WHY is explained HERE

The purpose of this video is for you as a developer to see how players play your game, what are their expressions as well as some likes and dislikes.
Basically the personal feedback is something that is hard to get, so I am hoping to help you just a little bit with this video.

PS: With my "skill" and "speed" I am proving in this video that the best I could do is play competitive snail chess ¬___¬;

T

TheUltimate

Yay, the review's up!

Here's my reply:
  • I had a good laugh when you said "oh. It's going to be a crazy game" so innocently. I was like, you are in for quite a ride.
  • No plans to sell this as it was my first game and I made it for fun. Some of the references are super-outdated, like the rage face on the title screen, and it isn't as polished as my more recent games, but it's still something I'm happy with. I'm am, however, planning to advertise it more outside the GMC.
  • You sounded like you weren't very impressed at first, then really got into it at the end. ^^ I do want to have a good first impression though, was it the FPS issues or other stuff?
  • The stretched title screen was because the window scales from 600x400 to fullscreen. Most of the game is pixel art so I didn't bother with higher resolution textures for the title screen.
  • I was really hoping you'd play as Ralph. Try him out a couple minutes, I'm sure you'll like him. :) CopyCat (the character you picked) was actually a prize for the fastest time at the end of the beta. The sprites were made by the winner. I might change him to an unlockable character so players will try Ralph first.
  • Not sure what's causing your FPS issues unfortunately. I've never had them. You're only the second person to tell me this, the other person fixed it by restarting their computer. It might be the recording software or because it's an old version of GM.
  • The acceleration in the movement is part of the game mechanics: It's a homage to the Sonic the Hedgehog games. I do know it's kinda choppy at times, and if I were to redo it now, it'd be much smoother. Many of the obstacles are built around your acceleration and top speed - a running start is your best friend!
  • I did consider animating the backgrounds, but never did it because it would take too long. I needed to draw a line somewhere to call the game finished, otherwise I'd still be working on it today! It does suck, but I had to do it. There was supposed to be one more level and a boss battle in this game too.
  • Hmm I never thought the small blue boxes would be confusing. There's actually a reason for them. It lets the player know what to watch out for. When you're standing on solid ground, you don't need to watch the ground, you need to watch for the objects around you. When you're standing on the blocks, it's reversed: You need to watch for the blocks themselves, not what's around you. The block borders tell you about the block: Safe ones have solid colours, and deadly ones flash black. Maybe it's not clear enough because it flashes too fast?
  • That look of relief on camera lol. Beautiful! :D
  • Those 2 minute speedruns are the result of practice. Tons and tons of practice. And a pinch of luck. :cool:
  • Wow, I thought I caught all the instances where I needed different sprites for different characters, guess I missed the spinners in L2. I'll have to fix that. What do you think would make their purpose more intuitive?
  • In L2, if you listen to the conversation, they tell you where the real key is. You don't have to guess the platform colour either. Just stand to the right of the raised platform and wait.
Really glad you liked the game! I did try (and seems like I succeeded at) making it frustrating yet oh so gratifying when you succeed. ^^ I'm also quite pleased you liked the art - all of it was mine. You've given me a lot to think about, and a couple things to add to the update list.

Thanks so much for the review!

M

MEITdev

Yay, the review's up!

Here's my reply:
  • I had a good laugh when you said "oh. It's going to be a crazy game" so innocently. I was like, you are in for quite a ride.
  • No plans to sell this as it was my first game and I made it for fun. Some of the references are super-outdated, like the rage face on the title screen, and it isn't as polished as my more recent games, but it's still something I'm happy with. I'm am, however, planning to advertise it more outside the GMC.
  • You sounded like you weren't very impressed at first, then really got into it at the end. ^^ I do want to have a good first impression though, was it the FPS issues or other stuff?
  • The stretched title screen was because the window scales from 600x400 to fullscreen. Most of the game is pixel art so I didn't bother with higher resolution textures for the title screen.
  • I was really hoping you'd play as Ralph. Try him out a couple minutes, I'm sure you'll like him. :) CopyCat (the character you picked) was actually a prize for the fastest time at the end of the beta. The sprites were made by the winner. I might change him to an unlockable character so players will try Ralph first.
  • Not sure what's causing your FPS issues unfortunately. I've never had them. You're only the second person to tell me this, the other person fixed it by restarting their computer. It might be the recording software or because it's an old version of GM.
  • The acceleration in the movement is part of the game mechanics: It's a homage to the Sonic the Hedgehog games. I do know it's kinda choppy at times, and if I were to redo it now, it'd be much smoother. Many of the obstacles are built around your acceleration and top speed - a running start is your best friend!
  • I did consider animating the backgrounds, but never did it because it would take too long. I needed to draw a line somewhere to call the game finished, otherwise I'd still be working on it today! It does suck, but I had to do it. There was supposed to be one more level and a boss battle in this game too.
  • Hmm I never thought the small blue boxes would be confusing. There's actually a reason for them. It lets the player know what to watch out for. When you're standing on solid ground, you don't need to watch the ground, you need to watch for the objects around you. When you're standing on the blocks, it's reversed: You need to watch for the blocks themselves, not what's around you. The block borders tell you about the block: Safe ones have solid colours, and deadly ones flash black. Maybe it's not clear enough because it flashes too fast?
  • That look of relief on camera lol. Beautiful! :D
  • Those 2 minute speedruns are the result of practice. Tons and tons of practice. And a pinch of luck. :cool:
  • Wow, I thought I caught all the instances where I needed different sprites for different characters, guess I missed the spinners in L2. I'll have to fix that. What do you think would make their purpose more intuitive?
  • In L2, if you listen to the conversation, they tell you where the real key is. You don't have to guess the platform colour either. Just stand to the right of the raised platform and wait.
Really glad you liked the game! I did try (and seems like I succeeded at) making it frustrating yet oh so gratifying when you succeed. ^^ I'm also quite pleased you liked the art - all of it was mine. You've given me a lot to think about, and a couple things to add to the update list.

Thanks so much for the review!
Always happy to help! ^_^ Glad you liked it and thank you for your time watching it.

To answer some of your questions

• The game was not much fun at the beginning because of the frame rate. Once I understood it was not meant to be that slow, something switched in my brain, I accepted it and understood that the game should be smoother (as it was for couple of occasions) and I enjoyed myself (annoyed, happy, all the levels of rage :) )
  • The flashing boxes were not clear to be honest, maybe I am just old and my eye sight is rubbish, but I could not make any difference between the boxes fast enough
  • The software I am using to record is licensed Bandicam, it does not interact with the game and does not cause frame drops in any games, including GMS games, or any AAA games. Maybe old builds of GM games do not like Win10? Who knows :)

Sabnock

well done for completing your game. tried it and can honestly say it is not my type of game. it would be if i was the type who likes throwing his monitor through the window after 5 minutes. :D

M

Misu

Fun concept and great game! Although it runs really slow on my computer. Im not sure why, especially when Im using a powerful laptop. Perhaps it has something to do with Windows 10 running a game made in GM 8.1? Im not sure why though.

G

GM029

Generally I'm not big on games where you have to die over and over to progress (you did a GREAT job of making every step deadly lol) but I played this one for a while - I find it fun. Although I didn't get past level one yet lol.

Runs great on my Win 10 computer.

Rivo

Fun concept and great game! Although it runs really slow on my computer. Im not sure why, especially when Im using a powerful laptop. Perhaps it has something to do with Windows 10 running a game made in GM 8.1? Im not sure why though.
The game I made runs well on pc's but not laptops, and I have absolutely no clue why. Maybe there is a link here? Or maybe i'm being stupid

T

TheUltimate

@Bluetail7
Yep!

@Sabnock
Thanks! And yeah, a high ragequit tolerance is mandatory. :D

@Misu and @Rivo7014
I'll have to look into it again. Seems the fps issues affect more people than I thought. I don't see a reason why it would only affect laptops, unless it's a compatibility issue because the game was made in an old version of GM.

Rivo, what's your game, and how does mine run on your computer? Maybe we can solve both our problems.

@GM029
There's a bonus password in the first post. ;)

N

NizarPlayz

Hello everybody!

Let me know what you think: Any comments, bugs, praise, criticism, anything! This is by no means an unchangeable final version - I’ll still do patches based on feedback.

Beta downloaded over 7000 times from the old YYG sandbox!
...and many times from other file hosts. Sadly, I never did settle on a file host before putting it on Gamejolt; I wish I had the true download count!

What this is:
What The @#&% ?! is a fast-paced platformer where the only goal is to survive till the end of the level. Run, jump, and dodge obstacles in a diverse collection of levels!

"Extremely fun, fast-paced and well thought out. I loved how every time you think you're safe, something happens to kill you. [...] You are officially the biggest troll known to humankind. Congratulations!" – icymx

SCREENSHOTS

DOWNLOAD LINK v.1.0
GameJolt link

Here's a GMC bonus! L2 password: PureEpicness

Notes:
  • This WAS my first game, started in 2011. Some of the references are outdated and it isn't as polished as my more recent games. Expect it to be a bit rough around the edges, but bug-free and complete, and something I'm happy with.
  • The game is compiled in GM8. I had issues importing the game to GMS.
Highscores
Code:
LEVEL 1
Aura           00:21:83
Bluetail7      01:00:45

LEVEL 2
Aura           00:51:33
Bluetail7      02:02:90

LEVEL 3
Aura           01:18:55
Bluetail7      03:46:02

LEVEL 4
Aura           01:47:56
Bluetail7      07:11:33
Versions
V.1.0.0
  • First release version

To do
  • Fix the acceleration so it's smoother
  • Make CopyCat unlockable so players have to start as Ralph
  • Add silhouettes of locked characters
  • Add some skidding particles when you turn around so it's more obvious the acceleration is intentional
  • Fix edge of platform movement bug
  • Add other characters' sprites to L2 spinners
  • Make first L2 spinner more intuitive somehow?

What happened to Level 5?
The only thing left to do was the graphics and some bug fixing, but I hit a snag and it was the #1 delay for this game for the past two years. I decided to cut the level out entirely. My tastes and programming skills have changed since starting this project, and now, I just want to post the game and move onto other things.

Is this a Sonic fangame?
Nope. It just used to have some ripped graphics. I originally didn’t want to spend time making my own graphics as this was the first game I posted to the GMC and I didn’t expect much attention. The gameplay has a couple similarities, but it’s not at all meant to be a fangame.

Is this an IWBTG fangame?
Nope. I’d honestly never heard of that game until somebody mentioned it to me halfway through developing this one. I’ve avoided playing it so I don’t unconsciously copy anything from it.

Will you ever add Epic Deaths Mode (different animations when dying to different things)?
I’ve gotten this question a LOT haha. I never added it because doing so involves some major changes to the game’s code. However, if I get enough requests now, I’m up for anything.

Will there be a sequel?
I'm undecided. I'm still a fan of the game concept and still have lots of ideas, but sometimes sequels are unnecessary.

Are... Are those rage faces? In 2016?
Hey, I made this game five years ago when they were still a thing, don't judge. ;)

Credits:
  • Code, gameplay, and most graphics by me
  • Various royalty-free and BFXR sound effects
  • Music from various places on the internet (I'd love to give credit, but unfortunately this was years ago and the sources are lost to time)
  • Ring from a Sonic game
  • Character sound effects by ParodyKnaveBob
  • Bluetail7 for getting a highscore in the beta and getting his own custom character in the game!
Special thanks to:
  • ParodyKnaveBob for his extensive feedback and help in the final stages of the game
  • Bluetail7 for his feedback and sticking with the game from start to finish
  • Everybody on the old and new GMC forums for their awesome feedback, reviews, and support
Thanks everybody, I couldn’t have done it without you. :)

The old promise still stands: If you try my game, I’ll try yours! Tell me what it’s called and I’ll give it a whirl.

Enjoy the game!
Thanks everybody!

TheUltimate
Your game is making me rage quit x -150 lifes 48 minutes... And i love that part This isn't the key lol

Sabnock

I
The game I made runs well on pc's but not laptops, and I have absolutely no clue why. Maybe there is a link here? Or maybe i'm being stupid
I have found this as well. My pacman clone ran fine on all PC's but struggles on laptops. I wonder if i port it to gms2 if that would fix it. Mmmm.

Changgi

When you're standing on the blocks, it's reversed:
I knew something would be up if there's a block in the middle of the ground, but I didn't think it was the complete opposite.

Also, I think the safe/danger blocks weren't really clear probably cause they're too fast and too thin so you can't make it out so much against the background.

When I first played the game I had never heard the Sonic sound effects. Recently a Sega fan introduced me to Sega games so after all these years I finally got the references.

R

rougebare

First impressions after clearing the first level, tough, but enjoyable. The only two gripes I came across were the controls feeling slightly slippery (nothing I couldn't get used to after another game with much slipperier controls mind) and the player character actually moving if you pressing the appropriate button when respawning after a death. (fun fact: I died several times to this in one area before noticing this) Sonic References everywhere, half expected some of the springs to make a little chuckle when hit (like the decoy springs in sonic colours/generations or the platforms in Eggmanland in Unleashed, but I suppose they weren't about when this game was started.)

For a first game, not too bad at all. If it wasn't said in the first post I don't think I'd have noticed.

T

TheUltimate

@NizarPlayz
How far did you get?

@Changgi
I'll update the blocks to make them clearer. Seems I definitely made them too subtle.

@rougebare
Yeah, the controls are still on my to do list. What button do you mean by "appropriate button"?

Decoy springs... now that's a devious idea. I might have to use that in the future.

Thanks for playing!

N

NizarPlayz

@NizarPlayz
How far did you get?

@Changgi
I'll update the blocks to make them clearer. Seems I definitely made them too subtle.

@rougebare
Yeah, the controls are still on my to do list. What button do you mean by "appropriate button"?

Decoy springs... now that's a devious idea. I might have to use that in the future.

Thanks for playing!
I got on level 4 but it suddenly crashed is that part of your game or you just got a bug to fix :)
You have made a nice game though it makes people rage quit which i like a lot but if you keep playing it you get to used to all levels and you get it too easy. Any other plans on future games your going to make?

R

rougebare

@NizarPlayz

@rougebare

Thanks for playing!
Gonna spoiler the experience to try and avoid spoilering too much, prob easier explained that way.
It was at the checkpoint nearest the yellow "Usually" trapped rectangle. I found if i respawned here (probibly other places too, but this was the only place i noticed it due to it getting me killed or knowing about it) if i were pressing left at the respawn screen, the character would move left, even though I couldn't see him moving. This usually led me to slipping off the platform there and springing the spike trap there.

T

TheUltimate

@NizarPlayz
No, it's definitely not supposed to crash haha. You can always use the level password to continue though.

I've actually made many other games. There's a list on my profile. Try them out. :)

@rougebare
Yeah, looks like the timer for the respawn screen and the player is different. I'll fix it, thanks for pointing it out.

N

NizarPlayz

@NizarPlayz
No, it's definitely not supposed to crash haha. You can always use the level password to continue though.

I've actually made many other games. There's a list on my profile. Try them out. :)

@rougebare
Yeah, looks like the timer for the respawn screen and the player is different. I'll fix it, thanks for pointing it out.
Sure! I'll try them out

R

rougebare

No worries, i only found it out trying to rush through a bit i knew i could get through pretty well at that point, but rushing in a game like this isn't usually a good idea XD.

G

GM029

Hmm my laptop doesn't seem to have any problems with any of the game maker games I've tried but it does have a decent nvidia video card in it, not the Intel incorporate card. No prob with wtf and the Pac man clone.