Teufel

D

Deleted member 467

Teufel
Teufel is a project I've been working on and off of for about four or five years now, depending on which iteration of the game can truly be called "Teufel".
The game right now is a turn-based RPG set in a fantasy world that has been plagued by a demon, until you show up.

Why is this different than the old version of Teufel? What happened to it?
I think it's safe to say that the version of Teufel from 2016 is dead, and has been for a long time. In addition to some heavy stuff I was dealing with irl, I think trying to redo all of the graphics and some of the AI in the game burned out my motivation for working on it, as well as trying to find an artist to work with. Plus I don't think I had the right mindset when making this game. My intentions for making the game were solely for profit and attention, which also probably killed a lot of motivation.
So why am I not just working with the old project? Ultimately I'd still have to redo all of the art, and I'd have to redo all of the levels because I didn't really get why having large spacious levels was a bad thing. The most glaring example to come to mind is one dungeon in the game that had long hallways that just led . . . nowhere, for the sake of leading nowhere. It felt more annoying than confusing to play because it was just bad design on top of a lot of other poor design issues. So, getting a fresh start on the project seemed like the best way to make it work. And any major changes to the codebase I do now won't be too hard to change right now, and I've had to do a lot changes to the base.

Controls
Controller - Recommended way to play! (For reference, I am using a HORI Pad Gamecube styled controller)
Left joystick - move
A button - Confirm action, you know, like an A button on any Nintendo console
B button - Cancel action, go back in menus
X button - Open menu

Keyboard
Arrows keys - move
Z key - Confirm action
X key - Cancel action, go back in menus
E key - Open menu

Downloads
Until I have more of the game ready, and I finish redoing my itchio and gamejolt pages, I'll have to resort to Google Drive for now.

15 September 2020 build - https://drive.google.com/file/d/18J-u7mMxAPziKarMoQL36agzTxvw_nSY/view?usp=sharing
Notes: After defeating the two main bosses in the game (Not the Ferroslime) nothing happens yet. This is not a bug, I just haven't implemented that yet. There are some bugs that I can't quite figure out just yet. For some reason being left or right of an enemy drastically changes the distance calculation enough to make some distances not work right. No idea why but maybe my equation was wrong. Sometimes when moving on combat, you can get stuck as being off the grid, and it changes camera. This one will take some big braining to fix. VERY RARELY - a horde spawn will spawn an enemy just outside of the range for the horde to include it in the encounter. Ever since I adjusted the code to fix this I've seen it happen twice out of hundreds of test encounters.
I also don't consider everything in this tiny demo finished. Some enemies need more attacks but don't have animations or names for them. Some attacks don't have animations. Some towns don't have houses you can go into (usually because those NPCs rely on things from later in the game)

Not sure when the next build will come, but it is important to note I alternate my time in pretty big gaps between gamedev and music, it's really hard for my brain to do both in the same timespan. So when I'm not working on this game, I'm making its OST and my own personal music.

OST
Some tracks from the OST that I'm working on for the game. https://soundcloud.com/jakeswimmer%2Fsets%2Fcrigs-dumb-rpg-ost

Screen shots are cool, right?
Creating the third town in Teufel. After doing the second town/island, I thought it'd be cool to do a timelapse video of the process of creating a town. The hand-placed terraforming is annoying, but it feels rewarding to look at when playing the game, for the most part.

The current intro sequence to the game

A small combat gif showing fire and death animations

A gif of a triple enemy fight

Mini-boss??

Helpful tips for the game
  • If you're not sure where to go or what to do, talk to NPCs, even if you've already talked to them
  • In combat, some moves have a very short range for their full potential, and others have a longer range. The further outside of that range you go, the more likely you are to do little to no damage at all
  • Some armor gives DEF points, and other armors give MGK points, equip wisely after learning what kind of enemy you are facing
  • Some swords give ATK points, and others give MGK points. The MGK Swords, like Silver Swords, use your attack to target the enemy's MGK stat rather than DEF
  • Having trouble fighting an enemy or boss? Stock up on potions! Not just healing potions, but combat potions, such as Wolf's Brew! Or you can go through the dungeon again and level up some more

Last edited by a moderator:

johnwo

Nice!

I found a few issues while playing:
  • When moving horizontaly then trying to move vertically does not change the facing direction of the character. This is annoying during combat, but can also be used to your advantage.
  • Character clips a few places, most notably here:
  • More often than not, you'll have to be facing an NPC, sign, ect. horizontally to interact.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers!

D

Deleted member 467

Ah yes, I forgot about the NPC issue *facepalm*
I don't remember if I fixed that for the next update, but I should have.

As for things like in the screenshot, that has been mostly fixed in the update. There are still some places where the new collision codes do not work as well.

P

Paul Levasseur

Barvix, did you put my music tracks in the game yet?

If so, I'm curious what everyone thinks of the aesthetic. I've 'remixed' a good chunk of those tracks using high quality VSTis but I'm not sure the style would fit the look of the game. Also, looking forward to playing this!

D

Deleted member 467

Barvix, did you put my music tracks in the game yet?

If so, I'm curious what everyone thinks of the aesthetic. I've 'remixed' a good chunk of those tracks using high quality VSTis but I'm not sure the style would fit the look of the game. Also, looking forward to playing this!
@Paul Levasseur Yeah when I added the tracks to the game and played through it something felt off. I guess if I can learn Logic Pro X quick enough I'll make some tracks or wait til I get back home and mess around on FL Studio some more. Really not sure what would fit music wise.

Edit: Forget the Logic part - I'd rather be playing and producing so I know if what I am doing is decent enough.

P

Paul Levasseur

You redid the entire look of the game hahaha!! That might have something to do with it. It would be interesting to put the music in and see what people here think.

D

Deleted member 467

Maybe, I'll have to experiment when I get home. Chiptunes should be simple enough to synthesize.
And I redid more than the looks, I redid everything to the point where Bunaria and this are like apples and oranges now. (Wrote a somewhat lengthy devlog about it if you're interested. Goes back the the designing days of Bunaria)

The music was literally the worst part of Bunaria. Better have a good long chat.
Heheheh. >;D

Edit: if it was unclear, I'm jokingly making fun of Paul here, not actually saying anything about the quality of bunaria!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 467

The music was literally the worst part of Bunaria. Better have a good long chat.
Heheheh. >;D

Edit: if it was unclear, I'm jokingly making fun of Paul here, not actually saying anything about the quality of bunaria!
Diss that game all you want, I know how terrible it was. Sure this is an improvement, but it could be better.

I like it a lot. The gameplay is a little bit rough right now, but I am sure it will be better in later iterations. Could be improved drastically by having the AI move all over the place, instead of going 1 foot in a direction at a time.

Issues:
  • In Emarkton, you can't talk to Drumpf, Jose, or Pasta when you are underneath them, only to the sides and tops.
  • It was a bit too dark at night. I could hardly see where I was going.

The art style is pretty cool though.

P

Paul Levasseur

Diss that game all you want, I know how terrible it was. Sure this is an improvement, but it could be better.
Seriously, keep working at it. You're only going to keep getting better and better!!

Don't listen to HopelessComposer, he's my absolutely favourite ****!! X'D

<3 <3 <3

D

Deleted member 467

• when you are underneath them, only to the sides and tops.
  • It was a bit too dark at night. I could hardly see where I was going.
Yes, the NPC is an issue I think I resolved on the project file, when I return home I'll probably just hide some stuff and upload a 0.3.2 bug patch.
Darkness ... I'll maybe include a setting so you can set it to be almost whatever you want.

D

Deleted member 467

Update bump: the demo has been updated to include more content and within the next two-ish weeks I shall post the next update, which will feature 6 bosses, 5 weapons, more of the story, and new areas.

Ehsan

Pirates vs Clones
I got stuck somewhere on the path up north on the first map. Where the path is blocked by a little rock, I walked past it and wouldn't go anywhere.

D

Deleted member 467

I got stuck somewhere on the path up north on the first map. Where the path is blocked by a little rock, I walked past it and wouldn't go anywhere.
Could you take a screenshot of the place? Right now I have to leave for class, but when I get back I'll see what I can do about it.

Ehsan

Pirates vs Clones
Could you take a screenshot of the place? Right now I have to leave for class, but when I get back I'll see what I can do about it.
NVM, I'm just bad at playing games. Tried again it doesn't get really stuck there. As for the rest, looks great! Love the night transition, also the art and the music is very nice and unique that'll stay with you.
I have to be honest I'm not a big fan*(edit) of this genre, but it looks very characteristic to genre of intend.
Keep working on this!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 467

NVM, I'm just bad at playing games. Tried again it doesn't get really stuck there. As for the rest, looks great! Love the night transition, also the art and the music is very nice and unique that'll stay with you.
I have to be honest I'm not a big of this genre, but it looks very characteristic to genre of intend.
Keep working on this!
Thanks ehsan! Glad it worked itself out, haven't really had collision issues in a while so I was really getting worried :p

KurtBlissZ

Sweet glad it auto saves.

I just beat the serpent or giant snake, I'll mention how I beat him in the spoiler below. Anyway I think the tiles that toggle between dangerous tiles is sweet, you could've used that a little bit in other part before the snake so that player can get use to them. Though they are really hard, mostly in that big room, think the harmful tiles could have a smaller collision mask so it be a little easier to walk on them.
Instead of walking onto the tiles that keep disappearing and reappearing, just stick your sword up all the way in the bottom corner where you can reflect his projectiles. If it wasn't for this I doubt I could've beat him

D

Deleted member 467

Sweet glad it auto saves.

I just beat the serpent or giant snake, I'll mention how I beat him in the spoiler below. Anyway I think the tiles that toggle between dangerous tiles is sweet, you could've used that a little bit in other part before the snake so that player can get use to them. Though they are really hard, mostly in that big room, think the harmful tiles could have a smaller collision mask so it be a little easier to walk on them.
Instead of walking onto the tiles that keep disappearing and reappearing, just stick your sword up all the way in the bottom corner where you can reflect his projectiles. If it wasn't for this I doubt I could've beat him
Well, glad you found a new way to beat him. I design everything so that there isn't one strict way to beat everything. Yeah, I guess a smaller collision mask could work better. Also it is possible to beat him while walking on the tiles, in fact I think he's the easiest boss I have ever designed. Regarding showing the tiles earlier so the player can get used to them: I think that's a great idea. When I get some more free time later I might make a level for this. In later bosses I do introduce mechanics at least one room before the boss fight to prepare you for them.

D

Deleted member 467

Alright, so I finally got my 1st ever video review for this game, located here:
And made by the wonderful @wadaltmon

And now for my responses to many things in the video: (in no order at all)

1. That's a sexy voice, no homo. Like that voice made the video better with my slow internet being hogged by family, forcing me to watch it in 144p.
  2. Sword poking out from thin air - This is being worked on, as a 3rd priority. Right now my priorities are: More character armor and NPCs, a new town with I think 26 NPCs in it, and of course combat overhaul.
  3. Lack of stuff on overworld - This I've been wondering whether or not I should fix, as dungeons and bosses have been the main focus of the game, other than the story which I try to emphasize about mid-way through the game.
  4. Constant textures - yeah, I've been meaning to change this for a while. For trees I have everything ready to change those for different seasons. Actually I've had those ready since the February, but never got around to adding seasons or different trees.
  5. Clipping through gate in Oblivion - ughh.... I could've sworn I fixed that. Just looked at the map of my game and I have no solid object there... woops. Time to add a bug fix tonight.
  6. Next demo - You said you might play the next demo when it comes out because you knew that I would add a bit more content and fix some stuff. If I can stay on schedule, it should be out late December. However, this new town that I've planned on adding from the get-go, I never even designed yet. However, I'm about done designing it, but it might take a while to make. Mostly because of the NPCs with walls of text.
  7. Enemies - These are being overhauled as well. They have more realistic movements and should have more realistic attacks.
  8. Promoting exploration through collectibles - I suppose I could add something like this, but I'd have to find the best way to go about it.
  9. Combat overhaul (not stated in your vid I think but you mentioned a few things I was adding, so I figured I'll briefly go over it here)
  • Sprites now are more custom in the sense of stances, but to save time and for more customability the weapons are still drawn on.
  • collisions are going to be fixed a bit more
  • enemy projectiles will be more balanced
  • many collision issues with projectiles will be fixed
  • sword won't just poke out (this I've been wanting to change for months)

That's all I remember off the top of my head from the video, and I can't watch it again without telling my fam to get off the Wi-Fi, which I can't do.

Edit: got a chance to watch the video again, here are some more notes:

• Never really noticed the music issue, also worth noting I usually keep the game on mute...
  • An options menu is coming. It's in the game I just have it "off" to keep working on it
  • Sound effects were literally last minute, better ones should be coming
  • Like the first part, I never got a chance to note music looping. This I'll see if I can fix
  • Boss fights don't have their own custom music YET, but I am looking for some tracks to use. I was talking to one guy about purchasing some of his tracks for my game, but he hasn't replied in a while.
  • The sword going above objects I did fix, and then it broke again. Still not sure why.
  • Dungeons, mainly in late game which I show with two bosses (you can only fight one per playthrough now) are a way to promote replayability. So far, this is the only I promote it, though I have been thinking of other ways to do so.
  • NPCs being more useful is something I am still trying to think of how to do. Even in Zelda (which I haven't played in a while so as to not get too influenced by it. Though I recently played MM for a bit) I don't remember too much about the NPCs in the game (save for a few) but mainly exploring and bosses. In my game I've tried to focus on bosses and story (though the latter needs to be expressed better)
  • More weapons and armor - Oh yeah, quite a few more coming. I think that whole row of weapons will technically be filled by the game's end (you'll see when the time comes by what I mean with technically) Regarding armor at least two more pieces are coming.

This is one such armor, though not displayed in the right environment. I don't feel ready to show what little there is of the snowy environment. I think in a few places I've mentioned some of the upcoming weapons and armor. Not too sure, though.
  • More backstory - the next town has a lot of that, to the point where I think there might be too much.
  • Manual save - this I have been wanting too add for a bit and I think I will soon, when I get the options menu ready for a public release.
  • Exit button - Added in just now. It's ESC.
  • Lack of focus - this I've been working on from feedback on what I could do to help guide people in the right direction, and I do understand it may be difficult at times to figure out where to go.
  • Blatant Zelda clone - ouch. Actually a friend of mine told me this over the summer, so with him I redid almost the entire story, name of the game, and a lot to separate it even more so from Zelda. But I still acknowledge many elements of it are based off of Zelda, consciously or unconsciously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roderick

Haven't played it, but one thing that I noticed watching the video: When you go into a house, you go behind the top of the doorframe, as expected. But when you go into a cave, your head stays outside. Looks like a minor layering issue.

D

Deleted member 467

Haven't played it, but one thing that I noticed watching the video: When you go into a house, you go behind the top of the doorframe, as expected. But when you go into a cave, your head stays outside. Looks like a minor layering issue.

Yes, I too noticed it while watching. Apparently that tile, with the black and rocks hanging from the roof, is actually the entire tile. If I remember right I had a tile for just the black part so in a bit I'll go back and the tile some.

T

TheUltimate

Wrote some feedback while playing:
  • I got much further than I did in the last demo. I like how there's more story in the game now. Keep going, it's good. Something else you could do is have NPCs approach me to talk rather than me approaching them. It would give the game some direction.
  • I think the game should have a save point or a manual save rather than an autosave, especially after I got stuck in the area with no exit last demo and the only way to get out was to replay the game.
  • The Moon Isle maze was pretty neat. My one suggestion is to cool it with the fireball spam. There were either no projectiles or way too many at once, and there didn't seem to be a middle ground.
  • The Pit was disappointing. The boss was cool, but the dungeon didn't have a gimmick and as a whole it took me under 5 minutes. It would have fit the story and the game design to have at least one archery puzzle to "prime" the player about using the bow, rather than a sign explicitly telling me about it.
  • Ubel's tower was pretty neat too, though short. Interesting fire and ice mechanic!
  • I feel I'm missing something with the Sword of Sol. What does it do other than being a shiny plot device? It didn't give me more range or any special attacks, and I couldn't tell if it did more damage. It seemed like a legendary item but the NPCs didn't treat me any differently after I got it.
  • The combat was completely lacklustre and I can name the exact reason why: The sword attack lacks an animation. I didn't feel any impact when I attacked enemies, and it was frustrating trying to hit anything because Rick doesn't swing the sword, he just pokes it out. I strongly recommend you change this first. The game is so combat-heavy that it's not something you can leave until the end.
  • I liked how ranged enemies didn't have perfect aim, but reflecting projectiles was zero fun because the only working method was standing completely still, then waiting and waiting for everything to die. There were so many enemies and so many fireballs that running out in the open was a death sentence. I had to stand as close as possible to a wall so the sword hitbox covered me. For sure, a sword animation, fewer enemies, and a slower rate of fire will help. Make it so timing the sword swing correctly reflects it back with double damage or something.
  • Any plans for hp potions?
  • What would happen if I jumped into the portal before picking up the egg? Do I lose the item?
  • This game needs a lot more animation. It was pretty bare-bones and often there was no feedback as to what is happening or will happen. For example, walking onto portals in the Pit could show if Rick is going to another floor or another area of the same floor. The trapdoors by the lizard boss could flash and open so I can react to the animation or learn the timing.
  • You should clearly mark all the doors in this dungeon. It's impossible to tell what's what until you walk into it.
  • I really liked the boss design, especially the teleporting boss later in the game. They're creative, varied, and super fun to fight. I don't have much to say about them, just keep doing what you're doing.
  • Is there an in-universe explanation why sometimes only the bow will damage a boss, and other times it's the sword? The only reason I see is that it's part of the boss design.
  • The boss in Oblivion (can't recall his name). I thought I'd need to fight him for longer but he just stopped, and I didn't know he was wounded and I had to talk to him. Have him lying on the ground, or something showing he's no longer a threat. That said, why not have the boss dialogue happen when you enter a room rather than having to talk to them to start the fight? I imagine any boss worth their salt would announce their presence before you get into stabbing range.
  • Not sure how much of the game you have planned already, but it'd be nice to see extra stuff like hidden bonus items and side quests - something to do other than the main quest line. Do you have any non-weapon equippable items planned? It's all swords and bows right now.
Anyways, it's coming along!

D

Deleted member 467

Wrote some feedback while playing:
  • I got much further than I did in the last demo. I like how there's more story in the game now. Keep going, it's good. Something else you could do is have NPCs approach me to talk rather than me approaching them. It would give the game some direction.
  • I think the game should have a save point or a manual save rather than an autosave, especially after I got stuck in the area with no exit last demo and the only way to get out was to replay the game.
  • The Moon Isle maze was pretty neat. My one suggestion is to cool it with the fireball spam. There were either no projectiles or way too many at once, and there didn't seem to be a middle ground.
  • The Pit was disappointing. The boss was cool, but the dungeon didn't have a gimmick and as a whole it took me under 5 minutes. It would have fit the story and the game design to have at least one archery puzzle to "prime" the player about using the bow, rather than a sign explicitly telling me about it.
  • Ubel's tower was pretty neat too, though short. Interesting fire and ice mechanic!
  • I feel I'm missing something with the Sword of Sol. What does it do other than being a shiny plot device? It didn't give me more range or any special attacks, and I couldn't tell if it did more damage. It seemed like a legendary item but the NPCs didn't treat me any differently after I got it.
  • The combat was completely lacklustre and I can name the exact reason why: The sword attack lacks an animation. I didn't feel any impact when I attacked enemies, and it was frustrating trying to hit anything because Rick doesn't swing the sword, he just pokes it out. I strongly recommend you change this first. The game is so combat-heavy that it's not something you can leave until the end.
  • I liked how ranged enemies didn't have perfect aim, but reflecting projectiles was zero fun because the only working method was standing completely still, then waiting and waiting for everything to die. There were so many enemies and so many fireballs that running out in the open was a death sentence. I had to stand as close as possible to a wall so the sword hitbox covered me. For sure, a sword animation, fewer enemies, and a slower rate of fire will help. Make it so timing the sword swing correctly reflects it back with double damage or something.
  • Any plans for hp potions?
  • What would happen if I jumped into the portal before picking up the egg? Do I lose the item?
  • This game needs a lot more animation. It was pretty bare-bones and often there was no feedback as to what is happening or will happen. For example, walking onto portals in the Pit could show if Rick is going to another floor or another area of the same floor. The trapdoors by the lizard boss could flash and open so I can react to the animation or learn the timing.
  • You should clearly mark all the doors in this dungeon. It's impossible to tell what's what until you walk into it.
  • I really liked the boss design, especially the teleporting boss later in the game. They're creative, varied, and super fun to fight. I don't have much to say about them, just keep doing what you're doing.
  • Is there an in-universe explanation why sometimes only the bow will damage a boss, and other times it's the sword? The only reason I see is that it's part of the boss design.
  • The boss in Oblivion (can't recall his name). I thought I'd need to fight him for longer but he just stopped, and I didn't know he was wounded and I had to talk to him. Have him lying on the ground, or something showing he's no longer a threat. That said, why not have the boss dialogue happen when you enter a room rather than having to talk to them to start the fight? I imagine any boss worth their salt would announce their presence before you get into stabbing range.
  • Not sure how much of the game you have planned already, but it'd be nice to see extra stuff like hidden bonus items and side quests - something to do other than the main quest line. Do you have any non-weapon equippable items planned? It's all swords and bows right now.
Anyways, it's coming along!
Thanks for the feedback as always, @TheUltimate
  • NPCs that approach you could be cool, I might try to add something like that to my next town
  • Manual save is something I am working on
  • I'll try to turn down the fireballs some more
  • Yeah, I see what you mean about the pit. Sometime within the next couple months I'll see about redesigning it or adding a level with archery based puzzles. (Man you should see the stuff I got planned for the next update. IMO these new puzzles are some of my favorites.)
  • Yeah, that tower was short as I was running out of ideas on what to do for each floor. It was planned to be at least 10 floors, but I just stopped. That and Shade's tower felt long to me (considering you have to go do that crap twice)
  • It's shiny and kills that shadow boss in Moon Isle. Later I might have it so when you have both it and the Sword of Luna you can fuse them somewhere and they become part of a side plot.
  • Animations are coming, they're just taking a while to make, because I have to each pose for each armor set.
  • I'll see about working on that feature when animations are done or to a point where I can test it.
  • There are plans for HP potions, or something like them
  • You have to do that entire dungeon again.
  • Yeah, I agree about the portal things. One way I think I could fix that is by saying "Floor n" at the start of each room in the top corner in a fancy box to let you know where you are, so you might be less confused on if the portal took you to another room or a different place in the same room
  • Will mark doors in half an hour
  • ^_^ compliments are nice
  • Sometimes. Like that floating eye boss - explanation was he was floating above where your sword could hit. I'll have to go back and check what other bosses were like this and see if I had a reason. I know I had reasons.
  • Shade, yeah it took me a while to remember his name, too. He's just a minor part of the game... Yeah, I might add a health bar to him as I do for later bosses so you know when he dies. I guess dialogue at the start of the room could work more than what I'm doing now
  • There are hidden things and side quests coming, but not much. And for non-weapon items there are. The hook (I don't count it as a weapon but it's in the slot) and the Staff of Earth (not a weapon)
    What I plan to do now is use the Staff of Earth (which changes seasons in the game upon usage, rather than waiting so and so months in real time for it to change) for some overworld puzzles to get some items that might be cool looking armor, NPCs modelled after people helped me make this game, and I don't know. Like I'm not really sure what "secret" stuff to add. And even though the Staff of Earth is in the game now I don't know if it will be in the next update unless I figure out when you should be able to get it in the game.
    For side quests, I do want to do this as it could add to the replay ability of the game. Like the only one I can think of is merging the Sun and Moon swords and making the Sword of Eclipsim. I plan to release the game in May of next year, so I have until then to think of some and add them in.

T

TheUltimate

You're welcome!

Man you should see the stuff I got planned for the next update. IMO these new puzzles are some of my favorites.
Nice, I'll be waiting.

Yeah, that tower was short as I was running out of ideas on what to do for each floor.
What about freezing lava into a pushable block and blocking projectiles, or a puzzle where you drain and flood parts of the room with lava to pass?

It's shiny and kills that shadow boss in Moon Isle.
It does? I had no idea, but it makes sense it'd work against shadow monsters.

Animations are coming
Good to know!

You have to do that entire dungeon again.
Don't you think that's kinda cheap? Unless the boss uses its dying breath to push me away from the items and into the portal, which would be pretty cool/annoying TBH, I see no reason why it should be possible to do.

One way I think I could fix that is by saying "Floor n" at the start of each room in the top corner in a fancy box to let you know where you are
That'd work. For the record, I wasn't confused where the portals went, it's just boring watching a fade-to-black when there could be particles or something.

I'll have to go back and check what other bosses were like this and see if I had a reason. I know I had reasons.
Put em in, I'd love to see more boss lore! Item descriptions would be cool too.

Like I'm not really sure what "secret" stuff to add.
It doesn't have to be secret, as long as it's not part of the main quest. What about a small dungeon that gives you an extra heart, finding pieces of an item scattered around an island, or something that gives you a longer attack range with the sword?

D

Deleted member 467

You're welcome!

What about freezing lava into a pushable block and blocking projectiles, or a puzzle where you drain and flood parts of the room with lava to pass?

Don't you think that's kinda cheap? Unless the boss uses its dying breath to push me away from the items and into the portal, which would be pretty cool/annoying TBH, I see no reason why it should be possible to do.

It doesn't have to be secret, as long as it's not part of the main quest. What about a small dungeon that gives you an extra heart, finding pieces of an item scattered around an island, or something that gives you a longer attack range with the sword?
  • Those ideas sound cool, I'll see of a way to add them and where to add them in the tower. And because it goes with the whole "Fire and Ice" theme I'll try and add it in this update. But that might now push the update to late January or February.
  • Yeah, but I try to have the eggs spawn in a way where you have to try hard to avoid getting them. And the hearts I make it so for the most part you can choose to get them for anyone who cares to do a 3 heart challenge
  • That's what I meant by secret, and those ideas sound pretty cool!

D

Deleted member 467

Instead of releasing new content now for the Fire and Ice update I have decided to polish the game in the form of "The Mirror Update", which will polish or add onto certain mechanics, levels, and anything else in the game.
So far what I plan to do is:

• Add more animations
  • Tweak the AI
  • Tweak or redo some level designs
  • Fix combat (with this new combat I’m doing I have to fix many collision issues)
  • Redo the death screen
  • Add item descriptions
  • Add NPC names to important NPCs
  • Add in colored text boxes (for important text or descriptions in-game, like when something happens)
  • Add an options menu
  • Add a pause menu
  • Sound effects
  • Music
That’s about it and will be the next update, which could be out in January, and a few months after that the Fire and Ice update, and many months after that hopefully the full game.
The reason I’m breaking the Fire and Ice update into two parts (The Mirror Update and the Fire & Ice Update) is because there was too much content to add in the Fire & Ice Update, and I need to polish the game for a Kickstarter I want to do. However, on the Kickstarter I’m still deciding if I want to do it, and if I really can meet my goals to get a new composer and artist. In another update I’ll go over the Kickstarter more when the time is right.

Now, the Fire and Ice update is still going to happen, just at a later date. So for now, I will polish everything that I can.

However, if you wish to save me the stress of doing and planning a kickstarter and would like to jump on board as a graphic artist and/or composer for a percentage of profit then please PM me so I don't die making this game.

D

Deleted member 467

I HAVE NEWS FOR THE MIRROR UPDATE

Shores have been added, like animated shores. Not 100% done or perfect, but I would say 98% done, The other 2% is tweaking

Attacks - these are animated now for almost every weapon and current piece of armor. I'll post more GIFs soon when I am home, so maybe tomorrow

Tiles - I have shown some of the new tiles, but probably every tile is going to be done again. Will post pics

Time - Time is different now. Before it worked in the sense of: In a few steps it is day. In a few steps it is night. It still kind of works that, but now each day has hours and minutes as well as dawn, dusk, day, and night.

Some other things that I am working on soon:

AI version 3 - I have two versions of AI in the current demo right now, but with this I will be making a 3rd version of AI which every enemy should be. One new feature they will do is call for help sometimes and get nearby enemies to help them fight you.

Weather - For a while I have been wanting to add weather, and soon I shall. I plan on adding rain, thunderstorms, and snow. They are season and area dependent.

Pause menu - this will pretty much allow for saving, changing options, and ... that's about it.

A lot of stuff is also listed a few comments above.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Downloaded your game and played until I got to the 3rd town, I have to say the game is really cool! I have to ask: Are you using programmer art or is this how the game will always look? Anyway, found a bug that if you press X(sword) behind a house, the sword will be drawn over the roof, but the rest is good, good game m8 :D

D

Deleted member 467

Downloaded your game and played until I got to the 3rd town, I have to say the game is really cool! I have to ask: Are you using programmer art or is this how the game will always look? Anyway, found a bug that if you press X(sword) behind a house, the sword will be drawn over the roof, but the rest is good, good game m8 :D
A lot of this art (I think a lot) has been changed off and on for the past 6 months (age of the version you played). If you scroll through my profile you can see many screenshots and GIFs of how the game will most likely start to look in the next release, which is basically going to be polish many things in the game and then add a few needed things. After this update I'll add the rest of the game in a few updates and call it finished.

A comparison of this game's graphics from March 2017 to July 2015 (Worth noting that the image from 2015 was a completely different game, but was the origin of Teufel)

Showing off weather and time in my game - Rain at dawn

This is just a couple images, but I'm sure there is many more on my profile here.

Edit: For the sword thing I don't know if I've fixed it, but I think when I changed how swords work I may have fixed it. Right now I can't really test it due to a lack of animations in using swords.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
A lot of this art (I think a lot) has been changed off and on for the past 6 months (age of the version you played). If you scroll through my profile you can see many screenshots and GIFs of how the game will most likely start to look in the next release, which is basically going to be polish many things in the game and then add a few needed things. After this update I'll add the rest of the game in a few updates and call it finished.

A comparison of this game's graphics from March 2017 to July 2015 (Worth noting that the image from 2015 was a completely different game, but was the origin of Teufel)
Mar 2017 WOW those sprites I saw in the download were really programmer art XD, btw they look really good right now! really amazing!

July 2015
LMAO XDDD (it looks so different to what it is today it's funny XD)

D

Deleted member 467

Alrighty since it has been a while I got some news on Teufel.
Teufel has been postponed and put away for another day (it's cancelled with the intent of returning to it)

What this means for the game
Well it won't be receiving any development ... not like it has really had much development in the past 7 months anyway.
I should one day return to it, but for now I need an actual break from gamedev altogether.
And, chances are there will be some changes in Teufel (if you know me this shouldn't surprise you by now). They could be small, like Luke being female, or large like most of the story or world map changes. For all I know I could incorporate the story for Teufel II into this game, too. I honestly don't know what's going to happen from here to release.

When will it be back
I dunno. I think at this point I'm going to keep quiet about it until it's near finished and polished. So no screenshots, text updates, demos, or anything. Complete darkness.
So it could be back as early as Winter 2017 assuming I find motivation to work on it A LOT. And as for the latest, I really don't know.

Why is it being postponed/cancelled
Mainly because of many events in real life that I have no control of and that take priority. Family comes first.

Rivo

Well it sucks that you have come to postpone it. I genuinely had looked forward to seeing the further progress and the finished product. I respect that you are choosing to prioritize personal/family related matters first and I hope you return to it another day! I've found it's really hard to keep to one project for such a long time and seeing small-medium clumps of progress here and there, and I hope you find the motivation for it dude! You don't wanna end up not finishing your project like everyone else right? D: Anyway, I wish you well with whatever it is your dealing with and I hope to see tefuel... ahem, Teufel on here again! :D

hippyman

Sucks to hear that you're dealing with some personal matters and I hope everything works out for you. Try to come back to this if and when you can though! Trust me on this, you finish up this game, you'll get some sells! People love these "Old-Zelda-esque" games.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
Hey man, wow its a bummer that you have to postpone the game, altho I highly respect it as you are doing it for your family, and I also like the idea of you not giving info until it is almost finished, because it males people want to see more, and it also releases you from pressure about giving info or etc. Well anyway wish you the best for your life and, be strong! Good luck

Well, I'll be waiting for you to start updating again! If you need a break from gamedev right now, maybe you can do what I do and practice drawing and music and stuff for a few months while you recharge. Then when you come back to gamedev, it'll feel much easier.

Hope the family stuff works out. Can't blame you for taking a break. Good luck, Barvix!!

D

Deleted member 467

Alrighty so as promised here is Teufel news. Don't get used to this, this is probably the last news of 2017 for it. I've teased bits and pieces of news here and there over the months (usually on Matharoo's Game Maker Mentor discord server, you should totally join and hang out there, we're ~300 members strong right now). There is no Teufel: The Corrupted One, and there won't be a Teufel II - The Fall Of Darkness (Yeah this was planned to be a thing, probs in 3D though to do something different and try out Unity). There will just be Teufel. Why? You waited this long, I figured I'd at least wrap up the story all at once rather over the span of several years with a cliffhanger ending. So how much progress has been made? Not much .-. art is the biggest challenge
How much new content is there going to be? a fair bit, I don't want to spoil too much. Basically Teufel 1 was just the story of Luke turning to Teufel, and Teufel 2 was the story of Teufel trying to become Luke again. (Angel -> Demon, Demon trying to be Angel again basically) So ... happy Halloween see you next year or something like that :p
https://discord.gg/TykHyqK - you should totally join his server tho

D

Deleted member 467

Here's the screenshot I posted earlier. Had to change some things about the fight that wouldn't give away too much.