#Time2MeetYourMaker

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lgmsfan

Nice cant wait Thanks yoyogames team for all your dedication to game maker and game makers

hippyman

I'm such a bloody worrywart that I keep fearing there will be something about whatever this new venture that will be to my detriment...
I certainly hope I'm wrong, though.
If you go in searching for something you don't like, then you will inevitably find something you don't like. Nothing is perfect.

N

Never Mind

I noticed some of the menu windows in the images are connected by little curvy lines. If there's a new version, maybe their making a way to connect things together visually.

There's an open source 3D content-creation program called Blender, and it has this Composition Node Editor that is super powerful..
It's kind of like tying little wires from input sources like videos and images, to output sources like effects and masks in a huge infinite switch board. Has anyone used it?

I think it would be cool if Game Maker further works on revolutionizing how we visualize relationships in parenting trees, and other game design concepts. Basically anything to further enable beginners to understand game design and jump into development even faster. geez I sound like a commercial o_O
At certain point I think user interface stuff becomes less important than improving feature extensiveness and precise control.

I'd honestly be pretty hyped if anything came out that makes development and prototyping even faster! Heck yeah!

G

Greg Squire

Thanks for the latest hint "November" YoYoGames, as it helps set our expectations. Looking forward to something next month. ;) (We'll all be heartbroken if it's Nov 2017, so please don't pull that one. :eek:) The new sprite editor looks very interesting!

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
Wow. There's more info in this topic than I initially thought!

So I'd prefer not to scan through 500+ posts right now. Could someone summarize what's confirmed/speculated?

The Switch doesn't even commercially exist yet. I don't understand the big 'need'.

Tizen is where it's all at :p
Already answered you in the other thread, you troll-lord. X'D
You're wondering why developers might be planning for something that's less than half a year out? Lmao, what? Come on, Lone! :'D
Also, a handheld that can handle Skyrim and The Witcher isn't something I'd consider "underpowered." I can't understand how any developer wouldn't be obsessing over getting ready for a new Nintendo handheld. It's a huge market. It's going to be even bigger than usual this time, with its ability to play games in the living room as well as on the go.
I applied for a Nintendo dev license the other day. I want need Switch support! D:<

Last edited:

HAEGOE

I just hope that that they're doing better for optimization, and I can use dozens of huge images without any texture getting screwed up and/or have an extreamly poor performance, if possible.

I'm doing my best for my part, but I'm no expert about it.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Well, congratulations! $:^ ] But hey, someone who's able to turn video into GMS fodder clearly knows how to test builds, eh? $:^ b

P

ParodyKnaveBob

$}^ } $}^ }

And there I was, literally thinking to myself, "That's such a nice thing to say. I could totally instead joke, 'Pics or it didn't happen!' but nah, I'll stick with the nice thing."

$}^ } BLAH AT YOU. Lol. $:^ b

M

McWolke

Animated tiles?! Brush Builder? AUTO TILING?! WHAT THE.. oh god, i don't have enough money for this awesome piece of software!

spacerobot

Ok. I can't take it any more. This is looking amazing from the screenshots. The tile editor features are going to be great. November can't come fast enough.

Alexx

Looks you'll be able to select multiple tile parts to create an animation.
I'm guessing Tile Animation will let you set the properties, hopefully also able to program some logic into it.

Posho

All I want to see is the Object Properties page.
But just because I'm asking for it, it means we won't get it.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Notice the prefix on the resource designated as the source and the blurred label above it. It's a sprite, not a background.

For better or for worse, I expect this to turn a lot of GMS 1.x projects upside-down. A clear warning to people who expect backwards compatibility.

JaimitoEs

Ok but...Why creating a thread of GMS2 telling "is comming" and not give some information?

I have some questions, i have a big project between hands, more than 500 scripts...

- How easy is port actual GML language to GMS2??
- Are you porting the core into another language?
- Is there the possibility to write in an alternative language like C# or javascript??
- Can you create IDE scripting to extend editor features??

Last edited:
G

Greg Squire

Ooooooooo! :) Animated Tiles? Auto Tiling? Brushes? Wow, the new editor is getting juicier with every reveal. <wipes drool off keyboard>

N

NPT

Notice the prefix on the resource designated as the source and the blurred label above it. It's a sprite, not a background.

For better or for worse, I expect this to turn a lot of GMS 1.x projects upside-down. A clear warning to people who expect backwards compatibility.
Yes.

Add to that Mike's commentary about Tiles in the following two posts.

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=583235&p=4608393

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=583235&p=4609078

Expect:
  • Complete sus-system rewrite
  • Much faster performance
  • Better resizing and scaling
  • Animation
  • Rotating and flipping
  • Collision-able
- How easy is port actual GML language to GMS2??
I expect GM2 to be file format compatible, meaning projects can be imported, but then a lot of manual conversion to be required. I also expect it to be one of the most backwards incompatible upgrades to date.

For reasons most won't understand. I shudder to think of all the complaints.

- Are you porting the core into another language?
What does this mean?

The engine was written in Delphi, now it's c++????
Judging from a previous teaser, the language is still GML.

- Is there the possibility to write in an alternative language like C# or javascript??
Nothing has been posted to suggest this. I doubt it, it would bust target platform compatibility.

makas

after watching some videos with autotiling, collision tile systems, this new tile system look so 💩💩💩💩in promising and amazing :) if all this things are integrated natively would be amazing

GMWolf

aka fel666
True. I guess my brain 'auto-filtered' those, as I am yet to use tiles. But great for those who use them, no doubt! :)
I never use tiles because of how useless they are in GM. my own oprimized decals are much more efficient. (And easy to use, IMO).
But if we get real tiles.. boy am i gonna use them!

H

HammerOn

Any teaser on GML features?
The only thing I really wanted to improve in the next version was the hard job of writing libs and data processing code in GML due to the the lack of some kind of named data structures or class and other common language features.

HAEGOE

I'm looking forward to it a lot. But I'm not sure if they're working on the fundemental part : less crashing, more optimization.

And as I said before, I'm planning a project that may need a lot pictures that won't fit in the one texture group(even with 2048X2048), so I hope they're working on it too.

Micah_DS

On the topic of backwards compatibility, I'm totally okay if there isn't any. And if there isn't any - or if it's limited, the likely reason would be that some fundamental changes were made for the better, to replace some things that should have died long ago yet were held onto for the sake of backwards compatibility or simply due to the constraints of the existing GameMaker code/program/thing/whatever (sorry, the correct terminology escapes me atm).

In short, it's better to lose backwards compatibility for the sake of a better GameMaker than to keep it and hold GameMaker back from being a better development tool.

Also, I started some projects in Studio expecting to finish them in Studio, so I won't complain if I can't import into the next GM.

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Nothing has been posted to suggest this. I doubt it, it would bust target platform compatibility.
I agreed with pretty much everything NPT said to answer JaimitoEs -- with the caveat that we've been able to write GM game code in other languages for a good long while, importing via DLLs and other means. I mean, realistically, you could create a game with GM's framework, but in every event, just call some external function(s). Perhaps not the best way to go about things, but hey, it's there if you don't wanna use GML... $:^ }

(But don't worry, I'm sure the original Q&A intended for any reader to understand "natively." I don't expect it, but I can't put it past YYG to allow non-GML code to selectively run, much like included files and extensions are allowed to selectively be included and compile.)

Regards,
Bob

Z

zendorf

Looking good! Really hoping that there will be a lighting system builtin to work with normal mapped sprites...

RangerX

I love those images so far. They give plenty of hints and truly demonstrate the next Studio is going to a TREMENDOUSLY HUGE update.
Heck this even look bigger than passing from GM8 to Studio

Status
Not open for further replies.