• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM Why did my GameMaker Stuidio project open and all of a sudden all my images are wiped out?

B

Beersy

Is this a common thing for studio? I saved my project and closed out of it. Then i re opened my project and now ALL my images are gone, my player sprites my tiles EVERYTHING is gone! And i cant go back in history to try to recollect images unless im not doing something right. Why did Studio randomly do this? IS there ANYTHING that can be done to recollect them? Is this a known thing to happen?

Nux

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I'm not quite sure about this being a common thing, as it hasn't happened to me. The worst thing I've had happen to me is having two IDEs open at the same time, and when i saved one, it over writ the other!

Anyway, have you tried loading a backup? (If that's what you mean by "history" then sorry!)
They can be found in your game maker files: Documents\GameMaker\Backups

Mr Magnus

Viking King
when you mean "gone" do you mean they don't appear in the IDE, or that they are missing from the hard drive? (in the project folder itself they might still be there)

If it's just the former then try right clicking the sprites folder in the IDE and select "import existing sprites", navigating to the Project folder, and selecting the missing sprites.

B

Beersy

All the images are in a folder yah they are still there....in the project itself i right clicked "add existing sprite" on the sprite folder. I then went to the folder where all my images are saved but its still saying no items match search....they are all saved as PNG files and it only allows me to search for gmx files....

i then clicked the sprites folder in where the project itself is saved. I noticed SOME images appear but my computer wont read some others because of a stupid photo viewer isnt on the latest update...would that be the reason? it still doesnty make sense because i have a nother project using the same files and that project is reading the images ugh