GameMaker Studio 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

atxgamedesigner

I'm sure everyone has seen the teaser posts on YoYo's twitter page.
They are clearly getting ready to announce a new engine - and it looks super awesome...

So......
What are your thoughts on this?

I hear a lot of people on other forums talking about how they will likely switch to a subscription platform, much like their competitors...
Personally, I hope they do not do this. Buying and owning the software outright is why I stick with GM.
Also, the fact that I don't have to pay YoYo royalties on what I create is a massive plus for me.

If they did go the route of subscriptions and/or royalties, I'd likely switch back to Unity or Unreal.
Though they are a bit more work in the realm of programming, their engines are more robust, and the support (specifically on the C languages) is far more wide-spread.

Not trying to start a war here... Just trying to open up a discussion about this.
Maybe if we preach loud enough, someone might listen :)

**EDIT
Ha!
I just saw the "#Time2MeetYourMaker thread a few below this one.
..........Whooops.

Anyway, feel free to chime in on your thoughts of the potential pricing structure changes.
Very interested to hear others thoughts on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gamible

I'd be fine if they did royalties, like "if your game makes more than $1000, then we get 5% of your money" or something. I would NOT be okay with subscription though.

Status
Not open for further replies.